ONE YEAR IN BRISBANE

Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:10 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default ONE YEAR IN BRISBANE

I recall starting the visa process and going to a few expos to be told i had little chance of getting to Australia with my family.

I am persistant though and continued my investigation.

I got in contact with Jogn Sylvester, Alan Collet's UK Go Matilda arm and he helped me kick the process off anyway.

I must have read a library worth of books before i felt 'in the know'

I then decided to go down the skilled independant route, starting with TRA.

This was very painful. It took me 4 months to prepare and I submitted it, not sure whether it would pass or not.

Positive result.

Visa application went in about a month later, I wished I had have known about the pieces of paper I would require for the visa application. I should have been better prepared, anyway.

I had medical request and more work expereience information requested and police checks.

I hate needles, I even believe now that I was very brave having the medical, I just looked at my children, knew what had to be done, and did it.

All good.

Waited forever, lived in hope to find out if visa was coming or not. Life was in no mans land, it was horrid. I sympathise with those that are still waiting.

we hadn't done much just lived in limbo for the time being.

Opened my e-mail one day and unexpectadly had an e- mail from Alan Collet saying.

CONGRATULATIONS VISA APPROVED.

Happy as I have ever been all of the waiting was over, or so I thought.

Brought a bottle of champagne, me and wifey drank a sip or two but were too excited to enjoy it.

The feeling was amazing.

We then proceeded to tell everyone the good news etc, MIL was not happy.

We started decorating (Neutralising) the house, every room was painted, new carpets throughout, loft emptied etc etc etc.

We ordered boxes from Anglo Pacific, heard some horror stoires, they were great.

We packed up and pu the house on the market.

House selling must have been nearly if not more painful than the TRA.

Stress levels have never been higher.

Eventually house sold for just under asking price, paperwork went through with a minor hickup and we moved out. Happy days I was rich, for a while.

Moved in MIL, booked tickets, had leaving parties, life was manic.

D-Day came, everyone visited saidf goodbye, we went airport on our own and flew to Melbourne with Singapore Airlines, they were great.

Anyway stayed at Relatives in Melbourne.

First Impression of Australia having never been, was a little dispointing, I had built it up to this magical place and it wasn't.

Anyway stayed at Hallam, Narre Warren and more relatives st safety Beach. That was nice.

Did all the tourist things, Dandenong ranges, Philip Island etc etc,.

Loved the city but no tmuch else.

Cam to Brisbane after four weeks , met by another rellie who put us up.

It rained two days solid when we arrived, wasn't impressed with Brisbane either.

First Impression, this is like the jungle, trees everywhere, loads of wild birds, very strange to urban UK.

We found a five bed exec home in Wynum moved in and our goods arrived same day from Anglo Pacific, bloody awesome.

Kids dossed around for a couple of weeks.

I found a job straight away, I was inundated with work offers.

Wifey found a job too.

Kids started school and settled really well.

All was rosy, I hated my job so left after for months and started another.

I am hapy in my new job, it is a long daily commute but love it.

Boys love school.

Wife is happy too.

Anyway we eventually brought our own place with a pool all fully fenced etc. Love it , feel slike home.

Anyway a few points.

First Christmas was hard, but not too bad.

People are amazing in comparision to the UK.

Crime, feels like paradise comapared to Northamptonshire.

Easy place to settle i found, it is as easy as you want it to be.

I found that I felt at home in Australia very quickly.

As time goes by things are becoming more familiar.

Family have come and gone, that is very very hard.

The children and us are having such a great time here, they love we love the lifestyle.

We have had more fun in the last twelve months than we did in five years in the UK.

All the reasons why we came here have been created and achieved and I am overjoyed at the achievement.

It is hard, not all easy,.

I found having a relative here makes it easier.

I do all the things I wanted to but never got off my backside to do in the UK.

We are happy healthier and seea brighter future for all of us.

I do miss the UK and people and familiar things but overall we are MUCH BETTER OF HERE.

Loving it.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 10:20 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: ONE YEAR IN BRISBANE

Great update - the first year feels like a real milestone - can't wait to get citizenship next year. We also used John Sylvester/Alan team - they were great.

Rebecca
Old Jun 5th 2008, 10:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Ben. It's good when a plan comes together
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

An interesting and encouraging read- well done.

Dave
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:09 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats Ben

We pretty much felt the same when we arrived in Melbourne.....and that's why we headed west Luvin' it here too
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:31 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one glad its working out for ya
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Great read Ben!! Good and honest - things are different and i think it's healthy to be able to pin- point them and work throught them (rather than trying to tell yourself it's paradise) - Different Country - Different Ways!!

Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

cazw1405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brisben
I recall starting the visa process and going to a few expos to be told i had little chance of getting to Australia with my family.

I got in contact with Jogn Sylvester, Alan Collet's UK Go Matilda arm and he helped me kick the process off anyway.

This was very painful. It took me 4 months to prepare and I submitted it, not sure whether it would pass or not.

Positive result.

Visa application went in about a month later, I wished I had have known about the pieces of paper I would require for the visa application. I should have been better prepared, anyway.

I had medical request and more work expereience information requested and police checks.

I hate needles, I even believe now that I was very brave having the medical, I just looked at my children, knew what had to be done, and did it.

All good.

Waited forever, lived in hope to find out if visa was coming or not. Life was in no mans land, it was horrid. I sympathise with those that are still waiting.

Opened my e-mail one day and unexpectadly had an e- mail from Alan Collet saying.

Brought a bottle of champagne, me and wifey drank a sip or two but were too excited to enjoy it.

The feeling was amazing.

We started decorating (Neutralising) the house, every room was painted, new carpets throughout, loft emptied etc etc etc.

We ordered boxes from Anglo Pacific, heard some horror stoires, they were great.

Eventually house sold for just under asking price, paperwork went through with a minor hickup and we moved out. Happy days I was rich, for a while.

D-Day came, everyone visited saidf goodbye, we went airport on our own and flew to Melbourne with Singapore Airlines, they were great.

First Impression of Australia having never been, was a little dispointing, I had built it up to this magical place and it wasn't.

Anyway stayed at Hallam, Narre Warren and more relatives st safety Beach. That was nice.

It rained two days solid when we arrived, wasn't impressed with Brisbane either.

First Impression, this is like the jungle, trees everywhere, loads of wild birds, very strange to urban UK.

We found a five bed exec home in Wynum moved in and our goods arrived same day from Anglo Pacific, bloody awesome.

Wifey found a job too.

Boys love school.

Wife is happy too.

Anyway we eventually brought our own place with a pool all fully fenced etc. Love it , feel slike home.

Anyway a few points.

The children and us are having such a great time here, they love we love the lifestyle.

We have had more fun in the last twelve months than we did in five years in the UK.

All the reasons why we came here have been created and achieved and I am overjoyed at the achievement.

I do miss the UK and people and familiar things but overall we are MUCH BETTER OF HERE.

Loving it.

Thanks Ben what a great post! Will show it to my OH as we are on the final stretch (13 weeks) till we reach Brisbane with our family!

Thanks again

Caz
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi yeah so true, this adventure we undertake is anything but easy. Great to hear you & yours have settled & are enjoying life.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Rachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brisben

Positive result.

All good.

The feeling was amazing.

Wifey found a job too.

Boys love school.

Wife is happy too.

Anyway a few points.

Loving it.
I would just like to say me and my partner decided that we want to take our young kids to Oz, we are not sure what to expect from Oz but really fancy giving the lifestyle a go we are also from the Uk ...... this post has made me really set on the idea now big time! i dont have family out there but would like to give Brisbane a go...thanks for the post
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:58 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel...
I would just like to say me and my partner decided that we want to take our young kids to Oz, we are not sure what to expect from Oz but really fancy giving the lifestyle a go we are also from the Uk ...... this post has made me really set on the idea now big time! i dont have family out there but would like to give Brisbane a go...thanks for the post
To be honest I have also realised that whilst being away from family is hard and may seem as the comprimise in all of this moving away, it is also a blessing.

I don't get involved in other peoples lives any more and now concentrate on my children and my immediate family. I have much more time for them now.

I now longer spend time around other peoples houses for the sake of it, don't get me wrong I love them all, but a lot of it in the UK is just passing the time, drinkikng tea and talking about the same old shite. If I went back the same conversations would still be taking place.

It is a bloody fantastic feeling when you can do all of the things you want to with your children growing up and have the time to do it.

Honestly life can be bloody good here if you have children and you try to live the Australian way !
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

What a difference a year makes! Ben, what you have to say is so true in many ways. The first year is definitely the hardest - it was for my wife and I'm sure women do suffer more than blokes in this respect. But your positive attitude, and the encouragement shown by your familiy, shines through and you're clearly more into life than you ever were in the UK.

It rained the first day we arrived. The sun has shone ever since.

Good on you!

Paul.