British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   One Year in... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/one-year-442426/)

iPom Apr 16th 2007 1:12 am

One Year in...

We're still here, still like Australia and wouldn't do anything different.

It's all good.

:thumbsup:

Ransi Apr 16th 2007 1:44 am

Re: One Year in...

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 4647322)

It's all good.

Same here.:beer:

Three Legs Apr 16th 2007 1:46 am

... ditto ...

... :) ...

... 3 ...

It's all good.

stevemich Apr 16th 2007 1:48 am

It's all good.

same here...18 months in...:p

nickyjohnt Apr 16th 2007 2:11 am

A year on thursday for us !!! :thumbup:

Nicky

moneypenny20 Apr 16th 2007 2:15 am

It's all good.

Is that it :confused: You're supposed to bore (sorry entertain) everyone for lots and lots and lots of paragraphs. Have you learnt nothing:blink:

gedge Apr 16th 2007 2:19 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4647526)
Is that it :confused: You're supposed to bore (sorry entertain) everyone for lots and lots and lots of paragraphs. Have you learnt nothing:blink:

"it's all good" kind of sums it up in an Aussie type saying
don't encourage her

moneypenny20 Apr 16th 2007 2:24 am

Originally Posted by gedge (Post 4647533)
"it's all good" kind of sums it up in an Aussie type saying
don't encourage her

Sorry Mr Mod;)

webgum Apr 16th 2007 2:25 am

Two years yesterday - flown by.......Happy for the moment, but may need to tweek the location a tad. Life is certainly good.

iPom Apr 16th 2007 3:37 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4647526)

Well I did think about doing that, but to be honest, aren't there enough of those? ;) I'm sure if anyone's got any questions, they can ask. I just wanted to mark my year somehow. It's gone very quickly. :eek:

Fenton Beasley Apr 16th 2007 4:40 am

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 4647616)
Well I did think about doing that, but to be honest, aren't there enough of those? ;) I'm sure if anyone's got any questions, they can ask. I just wanted to mark my year somehow. It's gone very quickly. :eek:

I've got a question or two.

Has it always been plain-sailing? Was there ever a time you thought it's not for you?

iPom Apr 16th 2007 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley (Post 4647685)

I've got a question or two.

Has it always been plain-sailing?

Plain sailing? Nope. We haven't struggled financially, but our relationship came under fire for a while. I think I got very down about things and there were long standing issues from when we first married on both sides which are now being resolved with the help of a very good counsellor up the road and we're now very positive about our future.
I wouldn't recommend anyone coming here to think that a new move will sort their marriage... I wasn't thinking it would, but I thought it might make or break us - and it's the former.
I think that if you don't have a really good relationship, things can go awry here and it's a long way to come just to end up getting divorced....
The relationship stuff was there before we left though - I guess the life we've taken on here has forced us both to look carefully at ourselves.

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley;
Was there ever a time you thought it's not for you?

In the few weeks before coming here, I spent many minutes going through the 'oh my god what are we doing?' highs and lows.... positive to negative swings but overall they were up, not down.

I guess the situation we'd left in the UK had been difficult for us - after the 9/11 tragedy, our business collapsed, a joint venture went under, clients dropped out owing us money and we spent two very uncomfortable years where some weeks it was difficult to even buy the groceries. There were a few occasions that we didn't eat so that the kids could, it was that bad.
Regardless of what we told my family, we got no help from them whatsoever. In the middle of this, I discovered we were expecting our third child, my health was terrible, my OH had a cancer scare which was a virus in disguise.... and then the baby arrived and we nearly didn't make it due to an abrupted placenta... and three weeks after that, the poor guy had viral meningitis so it was back to hospital.
And even then, my family didn't come to help, even though I'd asked my mother to come a few weeks before (I was desperate because I don't get on great with my mother so for me to ask was huge... ) but she couldn't come because she 'couldn't get the time off work'.. (A post office counter job in a village) I know what I would have done if my daughter asked me for help, but there we go.
So when people ask on here about why you left a good life in the UK for a fresh start, really, we had absolutely nothing to lose. Life had been shite and we'd spent a good couple of years climbing out of a massive hole... the things that happened in that time - ugh, it's too horrid to revisit. Seems like it was one thing after another... no money, health issues, car being broken into and a load of computer equipment being stolen, family who didn't really care in the way I wanted them to.... on and on it went.

So really, Fenton, when you say did I ever think it wasn't for me, there was really nothing lost by trying... We'd already lost it all and were trying to claw it back.

So in our year here, my children have come on in leaps and bounds. Their confidence is huge and their schooling is wonderful. They're stronger, more active and healthier than they were.
I'm healthier and have lost a lot of weight, I have a dog I walk, I bike and run... The sun is great - for someone with a slow thyroid, extra sun is a bonus. :thumbup:
We haven't found a house yet ... so we'll probably end up building. We were going to do that initially but we found the lovely Federation house and decided not to. Since that hasn't worked out, we're back to building again.
My OH is happier as he's back home near his family ... and they've been making an effort to be more social too, so everyone's winning. We're making friends, being sociable, going out, doing things as a family..

I never thought it wasn't for us.. though I did have the odd wobble in the first weeks, but I'd just get off my arse and go and do something nice to make me feel better.... let's face it, how could it ever get as bad as the UK got for us.
We had nothing to lose and everything to gain, so I think for the most part, things are working out that way, or that's the way we're making them go... master of your own destiny and all that.

:)

curly Apr 16th 2007 8:59 am

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 4648155)
Plain sailing? Nope. We haven't struggled financially, but our relationship came under fire for a while. I think I got very down about things and there were long standing issues from when we first married on both sides which are now being resolved with the help of a very good counsellor up the road and we're now very positive about our future.
I wouldn't recommend anyone coming here to think that a new move will sort their marriage... I wasn't thinking it would, but I thought it might make or break us - and it's the former.
I think that if you don't have a really good relationship, things can go awry here and it's a long way to come just to end up getting divorced....
The relationship stuff was there before we left though - I guess the life we've taken on here has forced us both to look carefully at ourselves.

In the few weeks before coming here, I spent many minutes going through the 'oh my god what are we doing?' highs and lows.... positive to negative swings but overall they were up, not down.

I guess the situation we'd left in the UK had been difficult for us - after the 9/11 tragedy, our business collapsed, a joint venture went under, clients dropped out owing us money and we spent two very uncomfortable years where some weeks it was difficult to even buy the groceries. There were a few occasions that we didn't eat so that the kids could, it was that bad.
Regardless of what we told my family, we got no help from them whatsoever. In the middle of this, I discovered we were expecting our third child, my health was terrible, my OH had a cancer scare which was a virus in disguise.... and then the baby arrived and we nearly didn't make it due to an abrupted placenta... and three weeks after that, the poor guy had viral meningitis so it was back to hospital.
And even then, my family didn't come to help, even though I'd asked my mother to come a few weeks before (I was desperate because I don't get on great with my mother so for me to ask was huge... ) but she couldn't come because she 'couldn't get the time off work'.. (A post office counter job in a village) I know what I would have done if my daughter asked me for help, but there we go.
So when people ask on here about why you left a good life in the UK for a fresh start, really, we had absolutely nothing to lose. Life had been shite and we'd spent a good couple of years climbing out of a massive hole... the things that happened in that time - ugh, it's too horrid to revisit. Seems like it was one thing after another... no money, health issues, car being broken into and a load of computer equipment being stolen, family who didn't really care in the way I wanted them to.... on and on it went.

So really, Fenton, when you say did I ever think it wasn't for me, there was really nothing lost by trying... We'd already lost it all and were trying to claw it back.

So in our year here, my children have come on in leaps and bounds. Their confidence is huge and their schooling is wonderful. They're stronger, more active and healthier than they were.
I'm healthier and have lost a lot of weight, I have a dog I walk, I bike and run... The sun is great - for someone with a slow thyroid, extra sun is a bonus. :thumbup:
We haven't found a house yet ... so we'll probably end up building. We were going to do that initially but we found the lovely Federation house and decided not to. Since that hasn't worked out, we're back to building again.
My OH is happier as he's back home near his family ... and they've been making an effort to be more social too, so everyone's winning. We're making friends, being sociable, going out, doing things as a family..

I never thought it wasn't for us.. though I did have the odd wobble in the first weeks, but I'd just get off my arse and go and do something nice to make me feel better.... let's face it, how could it ever get as bad as the UK got for us.
We had nothing to lose and everything to gain, so I think for the most part, things are working out that way, or that's the way we're making them go... master of your own destiny and all that.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Ipom that's a wonderful post :D glad that you elaborated a bit more :lol: I for one love reading about how people's lives are developing over time ;)

Really happy for you aswell regarding your OH :D

iPom Apr 16th 2007 9:59 am

Originally Posted by curly (Post 4648174)
Ipom that's a wonderful post :D glad that you elaborated a bit more :lol: I for one love reading about how people's lives are developing over time ;)

Really happy for you aswell regarding your OH :D

Cheers, Curly. Don't like to bore people... too much. ;)

Issie Apr 16th 2007 10:03 am

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 4648155)

[/FONT][/SIZE]

I am so pleased it's worked out for you after all you have been through. Great post xxx