One Year On.......

Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year On.......

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Well we made it to the one year mark – but to say it’s been a rollercoaster ride is so very true! Here are some of the “Highs” and “Lows”

HIGH - seeing the Sydney Opera House & the Harbour Bridge for the first time…and thinking “Wow – we’re in Sydney!”

LOW – cooking dinner, then seeing a cockroach scurry across the worktop

LOW – seeing my children all excited for their first swimming carnival…………then having to console them when they came last in every race. (Aussies living by the ocean learn to swim at birth!)

HIGH – walking along the beach (Northern Beaches) after school most days

LOW – applying for several jobs I thought I was capable of ……then not hearing anything

HIGH – picnics on the beach, bushwalking

LOW – only being able to afford a rental that was upstairs (20 wooden steps– to be exact) no AC or flyscreen on the door. One door in – one door out. Teenagers living downstairs that enjoyed late night parties!

HIGH – making some great friends in Sydney – Aussie, German, NZ, Brits – even a family of expats* from my hometown in Manchester!

HIGH – ordering Robbie Williams tickets for December in Sydney

LOW – turning up at my first interview for Night fill at Kmart…….to be told “ The interview is tomorrow”…(when I knew it was TODAY)

HIGH – seeing my children make some great friends

LOW – going out on my first “Girl’s Nite Out” since arriving in Oz…….only to return home at 8pm as I didn’t feel confident enough to be out. (I was a very confident person in the UK)

LOW - realising that people in the Uk don't always keep in touch!

HIGH – seeing my children having fun swimming in the many rockpools by the ocean

LOW – seeing my OH happy at work for the first time in ages………………but realising that the wages are not enough for a Northern Beaches lifestyle.

LOW - cockroaches

LOW – nits (that you don’t need a magnifying glass to see!), worms, nosebleeds, impetigo, verrucas (apparently all due to change in weather!)

LOW – more cockroaches!
LOW – getting letters from school requiring money for “this and that” and realising we don’t have any!

LOW – cockroaches!

LOW – deciding we just can’t afford to live in Sydney – so do we cut our losses and return to UK…or try somewhere else?

HIGH – OH finds a job in Brisbane, and a lovely rental – so we decide to give it a go!

LOW – realising I might have to miss the Robbie concert in Sydney

HIGH – getting tickets for the Robbie concert in BRISBANE!

LOW – saying Goodbye to all the great friends I’d made in Sydney

LOW – watching my kids saying goodbye to all their friends

LOW – arriving in Brisbane…..and having no friends (apart from the ones from our hometown (see above*) who relocated in Brisbane just before us!

LOW – attempting to make friends in the playground – only to be “snubbed”

HIGH – not seeing any cockroaches in the rental – Hoorah!

LOW – seeing lots of ANTS…Boo!

HIGH – turning to BritishExpats for help…and receiving an offer to someones house for a BBQ – Thank-you, you were a lifesaver

HIGH – The Robbie Williams concert

LOW – my children saying they’ve got no friends…..why did they have to leave UK?….why did they have to leave Sydney? (Oh the guilt!)

HIGH – parents arriving UK for Christmas, bearing gifts….and lots of love

LOW – saying goodbye at the airport

HIGH – in-laws arriving 2 days later

LOW – missing the ocean on our doorstep

HIGH – seeing the childrens faces of delight at the Theme Parks

HIGH – watching the children enjoy a “Dolphin Experience” at Sea World

HIGH – all enjoying the water slides at Wet n Wild

HIGH – enjoying a relaxing Sunday at South Bank

HIGH – OH “enjoying” (I use the term loosely) his new job

LOW – consoling my son…when he said that all the kids in the avenue have fell out with him because “they don’t play with people who still believe in Santa”

LOW – hearing my son on the phone to his Grandma in the UK….saying he’d had the worst Christmas ever….because of the above (he asked us to tell him “the truth”)

HIGH - seeing my children playing out in the avenue with all their new friends

HIGH - realising that my friends from Sydney can still be my friends....just by fone or e mail

HIGH – getting a job….which I love….with all school holidays off (Yipee)

HIGH – getting letters from school for money….and it’s all so much cheaper than when in Sydney

HIGH – having a romantic meal overlooking the Brisbane river, followed by the Scissor Sisters concert in the open air…….and finally realising…..Life is Great!

And just yesterday…………….

HIGH – eldest son coming home…saying he’s been elected as “Class Captain” (not bad for 8 weeks at the school) …………..and saying he came 3rd in the Swimming Carnival

HIGH – other son coming home ………..and saying he came 3rd in one race….
and FIRST in another…..at the Swimming Carnival

So that’s it………one year in a nutshell. Hope you enjoyed this brief snapshot.

Now …off to wet n Wild to have some fun.

Have a great weekend everyone,

L-j
thats a tear jerker! Here if you need to talk X
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:00 am
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Well we made it to the one year mark – but to say it’s been a rollercoaster ride is so very true! Here are some of the “Highs” and “Lows”

HIGH - seeing the Sydney Opera House & the Harbour Bridge for the first time…and thinking “Wow – we’re in Sydney!”

LOW – seeing my children all excited for their first swimming carnival…………then having to console them when they came last in every race. (Aussies living by the ocean learn to swim at birth!)

LOW – applying for several jobs I thought I was capable of ……then not hearing anything

LOW – only being able to afford a rental that was upstairs (20 wooden steps– to be exact) no AC or flyscreen on the door. One door in – one door out. Teenagers living downstairs that enjoyed late night parties!

HIGH – making some great friends in Sydney – Aussie, German, NZ, Brits – even a family of expats* from my hometown in Manchester!

LOW – turning up at my first interview for Night fill at Kmart…….to be told “ The interview is tomorrow”…(when I knew it was TODAY)

LOW – going out on my first “Girl’s Nite Out” since arriving in Oz…….only to return home at 8pm as I didn’t feel confident enough to be out. (I was a very confident person in the UK)

HIGH – seeing my children having fun swimming in the many rockpools by the ocean

LOW – seeing my OH happy at work for the first time in ages………………but realising that the wages are not enough for a Northern Beaches lifestyle.

LOW - cockroaches

LOW – nits (that you don’t need a magnifying glass to see!), worms, nosebleeds, impetigo, verrucas (apparently all due to change in weather!)

LOW – more cockroaches!
LOW – getting letters from school requiring money for “this and that” and realising we don’t have any!

LOW – cockroaches!

LOW – deciding we just can’t afford to live in Sydney – so do we cut our losses and return to UK…or try somewhere else?

HIGH – OH finds a job in Brisbane, and a lovely rental – so we decide to give it a go!

LOW – arriving in Brisbane…..and having no friends (apart from the ones from our hometown (see above*) who relocated in Brisbane just before us!

HIGH – turning to BritishExpats for help…and receiving an offer to someones house for a BBQ – Thank-you, you were a lifesaver

LOW – my children saying they’ve got no friends…..why did they have to leave UK?….why did they have to leave Sydney? (Oh the guilt!)

LOW – consoling my son…when he said that all the kids in the avenue have fell out with him because “they don’t play with people who still believe in Santa”

LOW – hearing my son on the phone to his Grandma in the UK….saying he’d had the worst Christmas ever….because of the above (he asked us to tell him “the truth”)

HIGH - realising that my friends from Sydney can still be my friends....just by fone or e mail

HIGH – getting letters from school for money….and it’s all so much cheaper than when in Sydney

HIGH – having a romantic meal overlooking the Brisbane river, followed by the Scissor Sisters concert in the open air…….and finally realising…..Life is Great!

And just yesterday…………….

HIGH – eldest son coming home…saying he’s been elected as “Class Captain” (not bad for 8 weeks at the school) …………..and saying he came 3rd in the Swimming Carnival

L-j
Hi L,J

We are moving to sydney soon, and I found your post quite thought provoking!

Where were you living in Sydney?

Also if you don't mind me asking what does your OH do as a career? Also what do you do?

I am looking and researching areas in Sydney and Job sites for roles that I am interested in, but am slightly panicking now to be honest.

I think its just the nerves of moving and starting up again!

Anyway I hope you are still loving it in Brisbane. Also well done its not easy moving around with kids.

I have 2 and am thinking about how this massive move is going to effect them.

Hope they will adapt like your 2 sons have
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:55 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi L,J

We are moving to sydney soon, and I found your post quite thought provoking!

Where were you living in Sydney?

Also if you don't mind me asking what does your OH do as a career? Also what do you do?

I am looking and researching areas in Sydney and Job sites for roles that I am interested in, but am slightly panicking now to be honest.

I think its just the nerves of moving and starting up again!

Anyway I hope you are still loving it in Brisbane. Also well done its not easy moving around with kids.

I have 2 and am thinking about how this massive move is going to effect them.

Hope they will adapt like your 2 sons have
Hi there!
please don't think that i was knocking Sydney...we loved it...living on the Northern Beaches...it was beautiful.

Unfortunately, my husbands wage (he's a skilled Sheet Metal Worker.....on the skills shortage list) didn't match the living costs of such a beautiful place.

Many who come to Sydney have a greater income and are therefore able to have a wonderful lifestyle.

Me.....I'm a Teacher's Aide - but was unable to find work that fitted round my kids (I have a daughter too!) so I took an evening job at Kmart.

Glad you found my post thought provoking. That's the purpose of these updates..i know I loved reading them when I was in the Uk.

Have a great day, Lj
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:50 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Great to hear from you. Keep in touch. You may see Sydney and love it love it and never want to leave! Whilst you are in Sydney - you could always fly up to Brisbane - to get a feel of it too.

Have a good day, Lj
We are off to Sydney, we were there 18months ago and loved it but there is always a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that we won't be able to afford it.
I loved your post though its good that you have all finally settled.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Ell jay loved Sydney, she was naffed to leave it (bless her). It is very expensive there though. Having said that so is bloody Perth lol.

Not as expensive as the UK though. Just nerves for you guys. But as Elljay and I has proved if you don't like it or find it too hard or whatever then you can always move and the currency says the same lol

Good luck guys

hugs Lace xx
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:32 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
Ell jay loved Sydney, she was naffed to leave it (bless her). It is very expensive there though. Having said that so is bloody Perth lol.

Not as expensive as the UK though. Just nerves for you guys. But as Elljay and I has proved if you don't like it or find it too hard or whatever then you can always move and the currency says the same lol

Good luck guys

hugs Lace xx
Exactly Lace, well said. WE are moving to Sydney for a bit of fun. Finacially we will be better of in Brisbane. Weve got 6 months in Sydney to live it up before the pill gets thrown away and then we have to think of a 3 bed house, so we either live in a shithole miles from sydney city in the suburbs or close to Brisbane city in a nice area. No brainer really. We never say never as we may fall into something of a goldmine the first day.

You never know but we are preapared to look with our own eyes rather than read others accounts of things and get scared. I must admit i do read these for encouragement now and again andf the negativity sometimes makes me question my decision.

Then i realise that no one, and i mean, no one is like me.

I cant wait now.

let me at em

al
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:09 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Then i realise that no one, and i mean, no one is like me.

I cant wait now.

let me at em

al

By the way, I hope you're not going to snub EVERYONE in Sydney before moving to Brissy!!???!!

Graham
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:04 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner

By the way, I hope you're not going to snub EVERYONE in Sydney before moving to Brissy!!???!!

Graham

LOL

I have the motivation to make it work if i want it to, or we can pick the easy option of Brissie.

I thought after you met me that it would be the other way round!!
yes, i generally am like that, just generally with less beer inside me most of the time.

In my defence, it was a world cup and expats meet that day though so not your average day!

Youll be sick of the sight of me after 6 months lol.

My mates are having a leaving do to make sure im going
al
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Aw LJ, only just seen this thread, glad everything seems to be working out for you and your lovely family, hope your second year is all highs and no lows
See you soon Lol, Keith n Kidz xx
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
Aw LJ, only just seen this thread, glad everything seems to be working out for you and your lovely family, hope your second year is all highs and no lows
See you soon Lol, Keith n Kidz xx
Great to hear from you - are you any nearer yet?
keep in touch. lj xx
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hey Hun

Oh my god, your in brissie now. Sorry you have had some lows! Me and the hubby have too. I finaly succombed to the dreaded home sickness, thought about returning home etc, still do sometimes. I agree Sydney is hard, you can feel like your at the bottom of the pile income wise and buying a house is near impossible unless you came with lots of equity.

Anyhow me and hubby have decided to enjoy it for now and maybe buy a unit end of the year in Dee Why or something.

We'll see how it goes.

Hope everything works out well for you chick, keep smiling
Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:48 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

LOW - cockroaches

LOW – more cockroaches!

LOW – cockroaches!

And just yesterday…………….

L-j
Brilliant post........I truely hope you continue with many many more HIGHS
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

great update Elljay

Glad you've finally settled, sounds like its been a very trying 12 months.
We've been here just over a year, bought our house in Sept & are still "living the dream"
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woogle
great update Elljay

Glad you've finally settled, sounds like its been a very trying 12 months.
We've been here just over a year, bought our house in Sept & are still "living the dream"
Hi Woogle,

Thanks for that. Have sent you pm, lj
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your much closer now Keith&Lol

nice to see you on here too woogle hope your having the best time in QLD

hugs Lace xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.