One Year On.......

Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Year On.......

Well we made it to the one year mark – but to say it’s been a rollercoaster ride is so very true! Here are some of the “Highs” and “Lows”

HIGH - seeing the Sydney Opera House & the Harbour Bridge for the first time…and thinking “Wow – we’re in Sydney!”

LOW – cooking dinner, then seeing a cockroach scurry across the worktop

LOW – seeing my children all excited for their first swimming carnival…………then having to console them when they came last in every race. (Aussies living by the ocean learn to swim at birth!)

HIGH – walking along the beach (Northern Beaches) after school most days

LOW – applying for several jobs I thought I was capable of ……then not hearing anything

HIGH – picnics on the beach, bushwalking

LOW – only being able to afford a rental that was upstairs (20 wooden steps– to be exact) no AC or flyscreen on the door. One door in – one door out. Teenagers living downstairs that enjoyed late night parties!

HIGH – making some great friends in Sydney – Aussie, German, NZ, Brits – even a family of expats* from my hometown in Manchester!

HIGH – ordering Robbie Williams tickets for December in Sydney

LOW – turning up at my first interview for Night fill at Kmart…….to be told “ The interview is tomorrow”…(when I knew it was TODAY)

HIGH – seeing my children make some great friends

LOW – going out on my first “Girl’s Nite Out” since arriving in Oz…….only to return home at 8pm as I didn’t feel confident enough to be out. (I was a very confident person in the UK)

LOW - realising that people in the Uk don't always keep in touch!

HIGH – seeing my children having fun swimming in the many rockpools by the ocean

LOW – seeing my OH happy at work for the first time in ages………………but realising that the wages are not enough for a Northern Beaches lifestyle.

LOW - cockroaches

LOW – nits (that you don’t need a magnifying glass to see!), worms, nosebleeds, impetigo, verrucas (apparently all due to change in weather!)

LOW – more cockroaches!
LOW – getting letters from school requiring money for “this and that” and realising we don’t have any!

LOW – cockroaches!

LOW – deciding we just can’t afford to live in Sydney – so do we cut our losses and return to UK…or try somewhere else?

HIGH – OH finds a job in Brisbane, and a lovely rental – so we decide to give it a go!

LOW – realising I might have to miss the Robbie concert in Sydney

HIGH – getting tickets for the Robbie concert in BRISBANE!

LOW – saying Goodbye to all the great friends I’d made in Sydney

LOW – watching my kids saying goodbye to all their friends

LOW – arriving in Brisbane…..and having no friends (apart from the ones from our hometown (see above*) who relocated in Brisbane just before us!

LOW – attempting to make friends in the playground – only to be “snubbed”

HIGH – not seeing any cockroaches in the rental – Hoorah!

LOW – seeing lots of ANTS…Boo!

HIGH – turning to BritishExpats for help…and receiving an offer to someones house for a BBQ – Thank-you, you were a lifesaver

HIGH – The Robbie Williams concert

LOW – my children saying they’ve got no friends…..why did they have to leave UK?….why did they have to leave Sydney? (Oh the guilt!)

HIGH – parents arriving UK for Christmas, bearing gifts….and lots of love

LOW – saying goodbye at the airport

HIGH – in-laws arriving 2 days later

LOW – missing the ocean on our doorstep

HIGH – seeing the childrens faces of delight at the Theme Parks

HIGH – watching the children enjoy a “Dolphin Experience” at Sea World

HIGH – all enjoying the water slides at Wet n Wild

HIGH – enjoying a relaxing Sunday at South Bank

HIGH – OH “enjoying” (I use the term loosely) his new job

LOW – consoling my son…when he said that all the kids in the avenue have fell out with him because “they don’t play with people who still believe in Santa”

LOW – hearing my son on the phone to his Grandma in the UK….saying he’d had the worst Christmas ever….because of the above (he asked us to tell him “the truth”)

HIGH - seeing my children playing out in the avenue with all their new friends

HIGH - realising that my friends from Sydney can still be my friends....just by fone or e mail

HIGH – getting a job….which I love….with all school holidays off (Yipee)

HIGH – getting letters from school for money….and it’s all so much cheaper than when in Sydney

HIGH – having a romantic meal overlooking the Brisbane river, followed by the Scissor Sisters concert in the open air…….and finally realising…..Life is Great!

And just yesterday…………….

HIGH – eldest son coming home…saying he’s been elected as “Class Captain” (not bad for 8 weeks at the school) …………..and saying he came 3rd in the Swimming Carnival

HIGH – other son coming home ………..and saying he came 3rd in one race….
and FIRST in another…..at the Swimming Carnival

So that’s it………one year in a nutshell. Hope you enjoyed this brief snapshot.

Now …off to wet n Wild to have some fun.

Have a great weekend everyone,

L-j
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:02 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year On.......

That made me cry!

So pleased you ended on some highs
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi me too. So glad Brisbane has made a difference to you and your family and life is full of 'high's'. May year two be all you hoped for.

Donna & Neil
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:13 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post lindsay!
hope to be joining you at wet n wild soon, we didn't go there when we were in Bris. We ran out of time. hope that kettle is still on the boil for me?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:40 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Fantastic post lindsay!
hope to be joining you at wet n wild soon, we didn't go there when we were in Bris. We ran out of time. hope that kettle is still on the boil for me?
yep - certainly is!

L-j x

and to Clippies & Donna & Neil, Thanks for your good wishes xx
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post!!! seems like you are enjoying yourselves.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:05 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Good one! See, it just gets better and better and that is down to attitude more than anything.

I am so pleased for you! Keep doing what you're doing.

Love to all.

B x
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:41 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: One Year On.......

Hi,
What a great post !It made me laugh and nearly cry!
Its great you decided to give it a go in Brisbane and i am so pleased you have found it was a good move.
Good luck in all you do
Andy
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh Mrs that has certainly gone quick LJ!!!! loved the comparison with the kids swimming. x
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

melbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant future

hi linzi

fab post everything in a nut shell, we will be there in 2 weeks eek!!!! but i'll be ok cos i'm counting on you to listen to me wingeing and crying even if you don't want too!!!!!

glad the job is fab will have to meet for lunch seeing as you are over the road, i am inthe hospital for 2 weeks and then out in community from then on, so will have to meet up

take care see you soon mel x
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:35 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Great post

I identified with many of your high and lows. Good luck with your life in Brisbane.
It is a great place
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:41 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Here's to you r next year of highs and lows (they make the highs soooo much sweeter)

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:27 am
Banned

TonyLondon22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fascinating Reading....just an interested Londoner but Thanks..hope it works out well for you all!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:51 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyLondon22
Fascinating Reading....just an interested Londoner but Thanks..hope it works out well for you all!
hi missus!!! yaaayyy, great to hear......cant believe it has been a year already. sooooo pleased you have now settled honey, i was worried about you. whats this about a job with school holidays off?? please tell me more....... i love updates, especially ones that tell all, warts an all. i know you have struggled. but look from where you have come from,,,,,,alkrington, deciding one day in the car,,,,,,,,,,i want us to go to oz..............xx
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:59 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

You are certainly one of lifes survivors and I rekon you are finally winning!
Good luck with the future and thanks for your honest post.
Cheers,
J x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.