British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   From NZ to Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/nz-brisbane-850281/)

cappuccino Jan 8th 2015 7:06 am

From NZ to Brisbane

I was born in the UK and this is my 3rd self-funded international move as I love the opportunity of travelling and living in different places around the world. Fortunately I don’t have a partner or children so can do whatever I want, whenever I want. I have good and varied transferable work skills which have kept me employed and employable over the years.

I moved here from New Zealand at the end of October for one last adventure before I get too old! Even though I have travelled all around Australia over the past 10 years and could have chosen anywhere to live, I chose Brisbane as I already have friends and acquaintances here. I knew it would take a while to get a job due to the economy and the summer holiday ‘silly season’ so saved as much money as I could to give me a buffer and came with a very open mind.

I am living in a flat share situation with complete strangers (not ideal at my age but needs must…) and doing lots of walking and free activities around the city. I’ve joined various social groups that advertise events online and am networking and making new friends. I’ve even met up with some lovely BE forumites :wave:

“How’s it all going?” you ask. Well, to be honest, not as well as I had hoped!
Remember, these are just my personal experiences and opinions – everyone’s experiences are different.

The weather – yes I should have known what to expect as I have visited QLD several times before but I am personally finding it very difficult to cope with on a daily basis. Not just the heat and humidity but also the storms – I was caught up in the big hailstorm at the end of November and was convinced I was going to be killed by those gigantic hailstone ‘bullets’.

I chose to live in the city so that I wouldn’t have to get a car or deal with floods, snakes, creepy crawlies etc but there is not much to do once you have done all the touristy things, and walking around in the heat just for the sake of it is not much fun (I try to go for long walks in the evening when it is a little bit cooler). Unfortunately, the weather hampers a lot of my planned activities and makes me tired and grumpy. Some days I don’t leave my apartment building as my room has air conditioning (bliss) and there is an indoor pool and gym.

The job hunting is a joke here and there are very few REAL jobs advertised. Recruitment agencies don’t acknowledge applications or answer their phones (or reply to voice mails) unless you are shortlisted. Applications are lengthy and can involve application forms, CVs, statements, online psychometric tests, telephone screening, group interviews (yes, I did all this for one piddly job which I didn’t get ‘cos at the end of it all they said I didn’t have Australian experience which they knew from the start!). I’ve also applied to do voluntary work but as yet have had no replies.

I’m finding things very expensive here and the customer service concept doesn’t seem to have reached these shores. Even though Australia is much bigger than NZ, I find there is less choice here on a lot of items, especially in the supermarket. Everyone I have had dealings with, from the supermarket staff to the police, seem to have a ‘can’t be bothered to help you’ attitude. Even when I was replying to apartment adverts online, only 1 in 10 advertisers replied!

Maybe I will feel better about life here once I get a job and I get a normal daily routine, or maybe not. I'll definitely stay here till my tenancy expires at the beginning of May and then I'm off to the UK for my daughter's wedding and a bit more European travelling over the summer there.

Will I come back to OZ after that? I doubt it. I know I could try living in a different state in Australia, but to be honest, I feel so much more at home in New Zealand where people are generally more friendly, helpful, and the weather is more tollerable.

louie Jan 8th 2015 12:24 pm

Re: From NZ to Brisbane

Sorry things aren't going well. Is moving back to NZ an option? What made you move at this particular time?

Pollyana Jan 8th 2015 1:54 pm

Hiya,
I'm not going to sing the praises of Brisbane (or even Australia) as I can't lie through my teeth, so I can't tell you platitudes about how it'll get better:( That said, things might improve, you never know - hopefully you'll manage to land a job soon for one thing :0

Pity I had to rush off to work at New Year, but perhaps we can catch up when I get back from Tassie next week? Give me a yell if you fancy it, I'm working really weird hours at present so I'm sure we can manage something :thumbup:

Pom_Chch Jan 8th 2015 7:06 pm

Hello Cappuccino :wave:

Sorry to hear things aren't working out the way you had hoped in Oz. It sounds like you have a plan though, what with your daughters wedding and some travel around Europe. That sounds like a couple of things to look forward to. May of this year isn't too long to wait, in the meantime you can plan your trip around UK/Europe to help keep you busy :)

Good luck!

BEVS Jan 8th 2015 7:41 pm

Aye up Capp.

You know your own mind well enough and it does read that Brisbane city area is not a good fit for you. Melbourne may have been more your style.

Yup. Trying a different area of Oz would usually be the thought to not lose the opportunity of living and working in Oz for a while but if your feeling of home is really in Wellington, NZ then that is where you'll be drawn no matter what.

Give our best wishes to your daughter Capp. I'm so pleased to read of her forthcoming wedding. Happy Days .

Pollyana Jan 9th 2015 3:24 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11526536)
Aye up Capp.

You know your own mind well enough and it does read that Brisbane city area is not a good fit for you. Melbourne may have been more your style.

Yup. Trying a different area of Oz would usually be the thought to not lose the opportunity of living and working in Oz for a while but if your feeling of home is really in Wellington, NZ then that is where you'll be drawn no matter what.

Give our best wishes to your daughter Capp. I'm so pleased to read of her forthcoming wedding. Happy Days .

I'm thinking the same - gripes are the same as mine and I love Melbourne, would be willing to move if I got work. Also Hobart, though even less chance of work there.
Loved my taste of NZ too.....you can expect to see me back one day :ohmy:

Buzzy--Bee Jan 9th 2015 4:14 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11525702)
The weather ..........not much to do .........walking around in the heat just for the sake of it is not much fun ............the weather hampers a lot of my planned activities .......very few REAL jobs ........things very expensive here .........customer service concept doesn’t seem to have reached these shores.......... less choice here on a lot of items, especially in the supermarket. ...........‘can’t be bothered to help you’ attitude

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11526536)
Melbourne may have been more your style.

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11527018)
gripes are the same as mine and I love Melbourne,

I also think that had you moved to Melbourne (and as someone who has moved from NZ>>Melbourne I have some experience) you would not have experienced most of the negatives you list.

I think you should try Melbourne.

Or NZ again!

Personally I don't like humidity hence I steer clear of Brisbane.

BB

Pollyana Jan 10th 2015 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 11527041)
I also think that had you moved to Melbourne (and as someone who has moved from NZ>>Melbourne I have some experience) you would not have experienced most of the negatives you list.

I think you should try Melbourne.

Or NZ again!

Personally I don't like humidity hence I steer clear of Brisbane.

BB

I have a week in Melbourne./mt Macedon next month. Haven't been there beyond the airport for a few years and I am really looking forward to seeing how it now compares to Brisbane. A move has always been pn the cards but i need the right job first.

VinoVeritas Jan 15th 2015 12:49 pm

In terms of things to do, if Brisbane and its surroundings are boring after a while (I agree btw), then surely living in NZ was worse?

DomthePom Jan 15th 2015 10:27 pm

Capp,

Why did you choose Brisbane??

"I chose to live in the city so that I wouldn’t have to get a car or deal with floods, snakes, creepy crawlies etc but there is not much to do once you have done all the touristy things, and walking around in the heat just for the sake of it is not much fun (I try to go for long walks in the evening when it is a little bit cooler). Unfortunately, the weather hampers a lot of my planned activities and makes me tired and grumpy."

You must have picked the one place which is so far from your ideal location.

Sorry to hear that you have found poor service and job seeking so frustrating. QLD'ers have a very laid back attitude which does not help.

You def need to change.

Buzzy--Bee Jan 16th 2015 5:38 am

Originally Posted by DomthePom (Post 11535035)

In New Zealand, Brisbane and SE QLD are portrayed as being paradise on earth, where there are unlimited jobs at great wages, the sun always shines, everyone has a swimming pool and lives by the beach and life is a permanent holiday. More New Zealanders emigrate to QLD than any other state. I have known so many New Zealanders still living in New Zealand who cannot understand why we live in Melbourne, to them that is craziness compared to the perceived utopia of Queensland, which they know from a family holiday 10 years ago.

Unfortunately as Capp has found, the reality for many does not match up to the dream.

Never confuse a great holiday location with a great place to live.

BB

cappuccino Jan 16th 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas (Post 11534383)
In terms of things to do, if Brisbane and its surroundings are boring after a while (I agree btw), then surely living in NZ was worse?

Have you ever visited NZ and therefore qualified to make this statement? If you read my OP, I didn't move to Australia because I was 'bored' in NZ!

cappuccino Jan 16th 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by DomthePom (Post 11535035)
Capp,

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 11535300)
In New Zealand, Brisbane and SE QLD are portrayed as being paradise on earth, where there are unlimited jobs at great wages, the sun always shines, everyone has a swimming pool and lives by the beach and life is a permanent holiday. More New Zealanders emigrate to QLD than any other state. I have known so many New Zealanders still living in New Zealand who cannot understand why we live in Melbourne, to them that is craziness compared to the perceived utopia of Queensland, which they know from a family holiday 10 years ago.

Unfortunately as Capp has found, the reality for many does not match up to the dream.

Never confuse a great holiday location with a great place to live.

BB

As I said in my OP, I could have chosen anywhere to live in Australia but I chose Brisbane, not because most Kiwis flock to QLD but because...

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11525702)
...I already have friends and acquaintances here....

Anyway, thanks for all your replies. Since I first posted, I am starting to feel a lot more relaxed. I have acknowledged that finding temporary work until I leave in May might or might not happen but I am starting a volunteer role with a charity next week which will give me some structure to my day.

I am getting fitter by using the gym and pool everyday and walking (10,000 step challenge) most days between 5 and 7pm when it is a little cooler, and eating healthier meals (not in restaurants).

There's an umbrella is in my bag at all times to protect me from rain, hail or sun ;)

I see my friends regularly and have made lots of new friends through various social activities so I keep myself busy.

I guess the best way to look at this experience is that it will be a hot and sticky 6 month holiday. Now I have accepted the reality, I'm starting to relax more and enjoy it for what it is. I still don't know what the future holds or where I'll end up living but for now I am not going to worry about it.

VinoVeritas Jan 16th 2015 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11535529)
Have you ever visited NZ and therefore qualified to make this statement? If you read my OP, I didn't move to Australia because I was 'bored' in NZ!

Yes I have, for about 3 months. Loved it, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Soozi Jan 19th 2015 2:39 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11535568)
I guess the best way to look at this experience is that it will be a hot and sticky 6 month holiday. Now I have accepted the reality, I'm starting to relax more and enjoy it for what it is. I still don't know what the future holds or where I'll end up living but for now I am not going to worry about it.

Good for you, Cappuccino! What a great attitude.

I have been in Brisbane for three years (15 years in Wellington before that, but I am originally from the UK - even spent part of my childhood in Essex, so snap!). I have to say you have been unlucky in that the hot, sticky weather started early this summer (So maybe it will finish early too?). Anyway, by May it will be fabulous and you won't be wanting to leave!

Send me a PM if you fancy a chat over coffee some time. Otherwise, all the best, and enjoy your time in beautiful boiling Brissie.
S.