British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   And now what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/now-what-673436/)

Syedney Jun 22nd 2010 6:21 am

And now what?

Hey, PLEASE READ ON!!

This is my update after 20 months here in Sydney - Northern Beaches. In the beginning, for those who have read my last update:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592504

will know that I wasn't originally happy here. But a lot has happened since. My daughter now has an Aussie twang and my other half loves it here soooooo much...But sadly today the company has decided to end my sponsorship!!:frown:

A bunch of excuses, and reciting my one warning given 4 months ago, they decided to remove me!! I didn't even get any 2nd warning! Can they do this? who knows! maybe someone here!

Anyways, this is going to be really tough to break it to my daughter who is 11 and loves everyone at her school...

I feel really really down...:(:(:(

I want to get another job and stay here but it's such a short time 28 days!!:eek:

Please let me have your stories...Someone give me some hope:fingerscrossed:

Syedney Jun 23rd 2010 2:40 am

Re: And now what?

Shameless bump..:o

Cheetah7 Jun 23rd 2010 4:47 am

I cant imagine how hard this must be for you.

I would go home, talk to your husband and make a plan. Plan each day with various goals about what you can do next.

Are your skills in demand? I am just thinking how easy or not it will be to gain another sponsorship.

Sally Simpson Jun 23rd 2010 7:35 am

Oh dear, so sorry to read your news.
You may get more responses by starting a new thread in the general Aus forum or the barbie asking about finding new sponsor in 28 days.
Lots of luck to you:fingerscrossed:

Russ_Sarah Jun 23rd 2010 8:56 am

what job do you do?

Syedney Jun 23rd 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah (Post 8650864)
what job do you do?

I am in IT (.net to be exact)...

I think both OH and myself have jobs listed on the MODL list...Maybe that's good:thumbup:

btw, OH is a hairdresser.

It's all new to us this situation..We just want to do the right thing to make it work again....

Thanks for advice so far but please keep'em coming...They do provide few moments of shelter from the chaos we are in!:thumbup:

Cheetah7 Jun 23rd 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8650926)

I think both OH and myself have jobs listed on the MODL list...Maybe that's good:thumbup:

It's all new to us this situation..We just want to do the right thing to make it work again....

Thanks for advice so far but please keep'em coming...They do provide few moments of shelter from the chaos we are in!:thumbup:

Could your other half get sponsorship as a hairdresser?

aussiedreamer Jun 23rd 2010 12:56 pm

Hey Really sorry to hear.

Have PM'd you.

Jane

Sally Simpson Jun 23rd 2010 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8650926)

Is your OH working? Would his employer consider sponsorship?

Syedney Jun 24th 2010 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 8652806)
Is your OH working? Would his employer consider sponsorship?

Hey Sally

my OH, Anna, is weighing up that option too.

I think cost may be an issue as the salon where she works, have never sponsored anyone before. However, they do seem to be keen to keep her specially since Anna's been there, they seem to have increased in business!

Hey, that's just an option and we may offer towards the cost of sponsorship but...Ideally, I'd like to get a job.

This is my first time in trying to get a job, without a sponsor!!:eek:

Seems a lot of IT jobs out there, but would they skid-addle when they know I need sponsorship??!!:unsure:

Man, I hate to be in this situation and pray that no one gets into this...:thumbdown:

On a plus note, England won and are through to the next stage of WC :D we also beat the Aussies in cricket :rofl:

Great sign!:thumbsup:

Sally Simpson Jun 24th 2010 5:56 am

May be worth speaking to a migration agent for some advice too.
Good luck with job hunting & you can but try:fingerscrossed:

Syedney Jun 24th 2010 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 8653395)
May be worth speaking to a migration agent for some advice too.
Good luck with job hunting & you can but try:fingerscrossed:

Thanks Sally :thumbup:

Syedney Jun 24th 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8653484)
Thanks Sally :thumbup:

Just got the obligatory termination letter, delivered by a courier company!! Full of make belief comments, which look more like a bunch of excuses drummed to hide something more underhanded, and just to make me look like the bad fella!

Can't believe this is the same company who gave me a bonus and not two months ago, moved me to their cutting edge unit!!!

Very fishy...

One thing though and maybe some expert can help me here please:

The letter says that any potential new employer will have to get me a new 457 visa...:(

Surely only DIAC can cancel the visa?!?

Can the company request DIAC to cancel the visa? on what ground?

Wendy66 Jun 24th 2010 1:09 pm

Really hope it works out for you, and that either you or your wife can find sponsorship, would agree with previous poster and contact a migration agent for advice, the one we used in UK had offices in Suffolk and Perth so there must be some near you or just ring - good luck :fingerscrossed:

alipally Jun 24th 2010 1:24 pm

Yes, the company does, in effect cancel your visa. It has an obligation as the sponsor to inform the DIAC that they are no longer your employer.
Then the DIAC cancel your visa as you no longer have a job. Doesn't matter what they say or not.
It's worth mentioning though, that the sponsor company is responsible for payment for your relocation back to the UK. So you need to contact the HR department and inform them of that particular obligation and arrange for them to pay your relocation costs (I only know this because a friend of mine ended up in a similar situation last year)

So at least you get your return journey paid for.... and that's for all members of your family!! You can always come back at a later date when you get another visa!!!