And now what?

Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And now what?

Hope your first day is going well!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

fantastic news,i think we all went through it with you and it seemed so much worse because you did everything right and didn't whinge about it,you just got on with it and even gave valuable advice to others who might end up in the same situation- you deserve your celebrations!
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Syedney
To conclude this thread, here are my observations in relation to getting unfairly fired while being on 457:

1. Remember this is not end of your stay in Australia. You may have notice periods and on top, there is the 28 days rule. And if you speak to DIAC, you can even extend your for few more days (through the bridging visa route).
I even heard of someone getting their extension until December, ie 2 months more of stay of execution because they had a child at school here. I must emphasis that the DIAC do not extend your stay unless they think you have a strong chance of getting a job (your skill is in demand and/or you have quality experience in the field).

2. Always use a migration agent, even if you think you know the laws. They are worth every penny and can give you a full overview of your situation. I used George Lombard, not only he is knowledgeable but gives the picture as it is. He doesn't embellish anything and you will know where you stand in terms of immigration from him. Some migration agents worth every cents!

3. Make sure you always mention that you are on 457 when asked by agencies/potential employers. Being on 457 is not the end of your application. In fact, most agencies shrugged their shoulders when I mentioned that I was on 457. There are other ways of getting sponsorship for a 457 person!!

4. Re-write your CV, and tailor it to AU market. Make sure you show a distinction of where is your UK experience against AU experience in your CV. It helps the agencies understand the skills gained better.

5. Attend any/every interview you may get. Not only it helps you get better at interviews, but also helps gauging what questions are being asked, show agencies you'll go to the interviews and that you are really looking for a job!!

6. Be polite. Don't slag off your previous sponsor. You can always say that the ex-sponsor has made you redundant as they were streamlining and you happen to be an expensive resource.

7.Make sure you ask your ex-sponsor for TICKETS back to blighty for you and your family. They are obliged to do so. This is an assurance as well as a way to get out of here should you need to do so.

8. Create a new email address, and make sure you provide all agencies this address. Also add to your CV.

9. You can ignore this if you feel you're well off: Start reducing all your bills, you will need to survive for a while so start saving now. Just pay utilities and rent. Speak to other lenders if any and explain the situation.

10. Come on BE and tell us your story. We will support you with plenty of karma and any advice we can give you. You are not alone here.

---That's all folks! if I think of any other I'll add -- please do so too -----
Hope you are still over the moon, or is it over the rainbow? Anyhow, your thread was an eye-opener for many people on this forum, and having people gripped to their computers and laptops in dire suspense! Glad it all worked out in the end, but where are you now?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 3:47 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deb68
Hope you are still over the moon, or is it over the rainbow? Anyhow, your thread was an eye-opener for many people on this forum, and having people gripped to their computers and laptops in dire suspense! Glad it all worked out in the end, but where are you now?
Probably working his butt off.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

No news is good news, eh?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Jes, what a rollercoaster - had forgotten about this thread since sending well wishes on page 1........... found myself scrolling through page by page, all the time thinking GET TO THE LAST PAGE!! kinda like spoiling a book

So glad it all worked out, maybe it does help you count your blessings, good luck and congratulations on new job
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Jes, what a rollercoaster - had forgotten about this thread since sending well wishes on page 1........... found myself scrolling through page by page, all the time thinking GET TO THE LAST PAGE!! kinda like spoiling a book

So glad it all worked out, maybe it does help you count your blessings, good luck and congratulations on new job

Ha ha ha, just read this and made me laugh so much...So grateful to all the ppl who contributed to this thread...My missus and I never felt alone and always come here and read bits of the thread whenever we need it

Have to say a lot of things have happened since. For a start, I am liking this country ever so more, that's in itself a huge relief specially for the missus who as you may know was the one who always was keen to live in Australia, whereas our 12 year old and myself were missing the Blighty!

Our daughter now goes to high school and call it whatever, maybe the fact that this is a new environment etc, she has started to yarn for England again

She even screams our loud that she missed the life style in England

We are not sure whether this is a phase and she'll be out of it soon or not...

Anyway. we are planning a holiday back in in UK most likely in July, and we promised her that she can go and check out how she feels about returning there and we will then come to a family decision

Ah, the joys of emigrating!

Whatever happens this has been a great experience and we are loving it (well the missus and I anyway!)

Hoping to arrange some bad things in England with our mates so the daughter's experience will be not so good

All fair in love and war, innit?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:47 pm

How old? 13 now? Def a phase. I hear it's a phase until they're 40 or so.

Hoping to arrange some bad things in England with our mates so the daughter's experience will be not so good
Just go in winter. That's all.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We are not sure whether this is a phase and she'll be out of it soon or not...
My guess is that she would do the same wherever she was. It is the prerogative of teenagers to hate whatever it is they do or wherever it is they are at all times

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Last time we went back in August it pissed it down the whole time and the temperature never went over about 17°C. And that was in Cornwall You might be lucky and get the same
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
How old? 13 now? Def a phase. I hear it's a phase until they're 40 or so.

Hi TP!!

How are things with you?

Yeah, it could well be just a phase but really deep down don't want to create a resentment in the long term...

The reason we are going in July is because the cat we left back in uk has a birthday around that time and the daughter wants to be there!!!

She has been very determined to get the message to everyone we know that she wants to go back...

That is killing us really...
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:34 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi TP!!

How are things with you?

Yeah, it could well be just a phase but really deep down don't want to create a resentment in the long term...

The reason we are going in July is because the cat we left back in uk has a birthday around that time and the daughter wants to be there!!!

She has been very determined to get the message to everyone we know that she wants to go back...

Would you really move back for her though? what if you went back and she hated it and wanted to move back to Australia?

I think as the adults/parents you should have the deciding vote to be honest, you are trying to do what is best for her and perhaps giving in to her at such an early age might cause problems.

I know I dont have kids but I guess I am from a generation where I didnt have influence on such a major decision. I bet it is killing you, you went through so much to get to where you are now, I remember following your story and being so happy for you.

It takes ages to fit in anywhere and 'home wasnt build in a day' and neither are good friends formed so quickly, so perhaps she needs time, time to adjust and realise that for the time being, this is her home. Maybe she feels if she complains enough you will get her out of Australia quickly so with that thought, she wont invest her emotions in trying to settle.

Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Would you really move back for her though? what if you went back and she hated it and wanted to move back to Australia?

I think as the adults/parents you should have the deciding vote to be honest, you are trying to do what is best for her and perhaps giving in to her at such an early age might cause problems.
Exactly right, PP

That's why we are insisting to her that we are going on holidays and will review the situation after we come back. This is not going back yet!!!

I know I dont have kids but I guess I am from a generation where I didnt have influence on such a major decision. I bet it is killing you, you went through so much to get to where you are now, I remember following your story and being so happy for you.

Very kind of you PP and it is really appreciated

It takes ages to fit in anywhere and 'home wasnt build in a day' and neither are good friends formed so quickly, so perhaps she needs time, time to adjust and realise that for the time being, this is her home. Maybe she feels if she complains enough you will get her out of Australia quickly so with that thought, she wont invest her emotions in trying to settle.

Yes, it does take ages and we keep saying to our daughter but she throws some unbelievable tantrums, sometimes it gets to the missus so badly, can't describe what it does to her

Both Ana and I know deep down that in the long run, Yasmin will love it here but how to get this accross to her or ride out this terrible phase

To make matters worse, we haven't told her that the cat we left behind has actually passed away, of cancer

Didn't want her to be sooo upset....

Oh dear
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:08 am

Hi TP!!

How are things with you?

I'm great thank you lovely. : )

I'm afraid I'm with PP on this one. Kids can't rule your life and throwing tantrums is just bratty behaviour. Three yr olds should throw tantrums.

And the cat... eughhh, yeah, you should tell her. She's 13? She's not a baby.

Good luck with it.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

For what it's worth, we have a 13 year old. When we came over she was 12 and she was against the move. She had to give up her dog and cat to come over. Not to mention friends and clubs. She wasn't happy. However, she came to love OZ, and now considers it home.

What helped her to get comfortable with OZ are things like nippers, new friends, more freedoms, a mobile phone (for our convenience), the ability to keep in touch with family and friends via facebook, email, etc.

If the cat had died of cancer or anything else, I would tell her. Most likely, I'd have her read the notice that was sent to us the minute we found out.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

We did exactly that. We gave her a lot of freedom (in fact she gets away with quite a lot here compared to UK), a phone, a wii, a dsi etc...She was actually quite settled last year...

We did have a heart to heart tonight and it seems she is getting bullied at the high school. Her English accent is marking her out, and she said some friends from public school, mainly Islanders, mock her all the time and push her a lot

We are going to probably put her in another high school somewhere where she has no friends because that is what she feels is best.

We know roughly what we need to do here but God how refreshing and nice to get the same perspective from others. Thanks for the invaluable advice so far

I am going to see that principal who made big statements about how the hgh school has no bullies etc...

Damn, to top it all, all our passports are expiring !!!

Maybe we need to get my daughter to meet up with some Brit girls here. We live in Dee Why so anyone wanting a meet up is welcome.

By the way, I do agree that we should tell her about the cat but my missus is right against it for now.

Last edited by Syedney; Feb 21st 2011 at 11:41 am. Reason: added cat stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.