British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   not happy bunnies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/not-happy-bunnies-470879/)

accrington stanley Aug 2nd 2007 8:33 am

not happy bunnies

this is the first time i've ever written anythin on here but i always read the forums and its nice to read other peoples stories and experiences! we have met soapy and been to a couple of meets at pac pines tavern which were really great....however life is tough at the moment moan whinge:(

we moved to pac pines in oct 06 and after finding a place to live and doin all the usual medicare trn etc we set about looking for work. wow what a chore that is! after lots of searching, endless interviews, no-one bothering to get back to us my OH finally got a job as a print finisher and i found a job in a pharmacy. great stuff. then the reality kicks in and we discovered that we had gone back in time work-wise. my husbands work place is full of condescending arrogant bullys who don't know what they are doing. he came home every day so fed up and at the end of his rope....they treated him like he was stupid when in fact he can do the job standing on his head and with far more experience than any of them...yesterday was the final straw and he quit. now we only have my wage which is not bad but we will miss the second income. there are no jobs in his field whatsoever it was hard enough looking for one the first time round. he thought about trying something else but you cant even stack shelves these days without needing some bloody certificate or other. he's actually worried that if he does manage to find another job in the same trade, that it will be just like the last one with poor organisation and horrible people. he is so unhappy at the moment. he doesnt want to leave australia but doesnt want to be here either if that makes sense. it just feels like the aussie dream is slipping out of our hands. we cant afford a house of our own here...two years ago we could have bought something really nice and within our price range... everything feels wrong at the moment. we expect ups and downs but lately there are more downs. sorry for whinging you may have fallen asleep by now! i just wanted to get it off my chest. does anyone else ever feel like they are in no mans land? like you don't really belong? i feel like that right now. however we have our health, our son and each other and just reading the forums makes us realise that maybe better things are to come and that its all part of our new life down under. i would recommend this web site as therapy haha!

Hutch Aug 2nd 2007 1:01 pm

Re: not happy bunnies

It certainly didn't come across as a whinge to me. You're doing it tough and having a rough time of it. I really hope things improve for you soon. :)

Paula223 Aug 2nd 2007 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by accrington stanley (Post 5137171)
this is the first time i've ever written anythin on here but i always read the forums and its nice to read other peoples stories and experiences! we have met soapy and been to a couple of meets at pac pines tavern which were really great....however life is tough at the moment moan whinge:(

we moved to pac pines in oct 06 and after finding a place to live and doin all the usual medicare trn etc we set about looking for work. wow what a chore that is! after lots of searching, endless interviews, no-one bothering to get back to us my OH finally got a job as a print finisher and i found a job in a pharmacy. great stuff. then the reality kicks in and we discovered that we had gone back in time work-wise. my husbands work place is full of condescending arrogant bullys who don't know what they are doing. he came home every day so fed up and at the end of his rope....they treated him like he was stupid when in fact he can do the job standing on his head and with far more experience than any of them...yesterday was the final straw and he quit. now we only have my wage which is not bad but we will miss the second income. there are no jobs in his field whatsoever it was hard enough looking for one the first time round. he thought about trying something else but you cant even stack shelves these days without needing some bloody certificate or other. he's actually worried that if he does manage to find another job in the same trade, that it will be just like the last one with poor organisation and horrible people. he is so unhappy at the moment. he doesnt want to leave australia but doesnt want to be here either if that makes sense. it just feels like the aussie dream is slipping out of our hands. we cant afford a house of our own here...two years ago we could have bought something really nice and within our price range... everything feels wrong at the moment. we expect ups and downs but lately there are more downs. sorry for whinging you may have fallen asleep by now! i just wanted to get it off my chest. does anyone else ever feel like they are in no mans land? like you don't really belong? i feel like that right now. however we have our health, our son and each other and just reading the forums makes us realise that maybe better things are to come and that its all part of our new life down under. i would recommend this web site as therapy haha!

Hi there,no ure not winging as i think we have all been there and thought what the hell are we doing!!!But believe me things do get better,we have been here just over 3yrs from UK to Baldivis New Estate SettlersHill Rockingham.My husband 3 children and our Whippet,we had all the bad luck bought a Jims Mowing bussiness all the tools trailer ute and because my husband was unable to do it being ill we ended up loosing it so that was money down the drain,ive had a few different jobs and so as my husband but he as now got to go for op on is knee so he is again out off work so we struggle yet again,but i just keep thinking things have to get better!!!our house was nearly paid for in UK about 6yrs left on morgage we have now built over here and now have a long morgage,but i think you have to go backwards before you can begin to move on.Tell ure husband that they can be arragant s.... but to try to just ignore because they are not all like that but that is how they make you feel.I have left a few jobs but not b4 giving them a mouth full lol.So look forward and not back as it does take time to get settled proper,as i just kept thinking forget im going back home but wereas now here is my home and nomatter how bad things get here i think its made us stronger,my youngest daughter as had so many allergies to food here and rushed to hospital xmas day after having turkey dinner and having a really bad reaction so we have had our fair share.
So dont get disheartened it will get better

good luck from Paula Eddie and family

Keep ure chin up :)

the greens Aug 2nd 2007 5:19 pm

I don't think you are whinging either - just having a tough time. But in a few weeks/months it could all seem like a distant memory. I am presuming you are from Accrington - we are very close from where you used to be and believe me you are missing nothing. If you were a duck you could be enjoying yourself though ! We too are looking to move to Qld (Sunshine Coast). We imagine it's gonna be a move for the better but who knows till we try it. Good luck with hubby finding a new job. We have a 7 year old daughter. How old is your child and how has the move been for him/her ?

auspal Aug 3rd 2007 5:13 am

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time:(

I find that the job market on the Gold Coast is pretty tough, a lot of Aussies and New Zealanders come here for the lifestyle and because we havent got a lot of large industries, they end up buying a small business, in effect buying themselves a job. They then set out to employ staff with no real experience.
Employers can hire and fire as they see fit, so many here looking for work.

Has your hubbie looked at Yatala for employment? There is a fair bit of industry there. A lot of people commute to Brisbane for work, but that can get a bit tiring after a while.

Try not to get too down, hubbie will find another job, even better than the last one, things happen for a reason. We had something similar after a couple of years and we were devastated, but it turned things around for us.

I was as sick as a blackpool donkey at the time though, so I do know what you are going through.

And look at the beautiful day we are having today, :)

I have a friend from Accrington, who is living west of Brissie.:)

accrington stanley Aug 3rd 2007 7:49 am

Originally Posted by the greens (Post 5139397)
I don't think you are whinging either - just having a tough time. But in a few weeks/months it could all seem like a distant memory. I am presuming you are from Accrington - we are very close from where you used to be and believe me you are missing nothing. If you were a duck you could be enjoying yourself though ! We too are looking to move to Qld (Sunshine Coast). We imagine it's gonna be a move for the better but who knows till we try it. Good luck with hubby finding a new job. We have a 7 year old daughter. How old is your child and how has the move been for him/her ?

our son is 9 now and hes settled in like a duck to water! i wish i were a kid again sometimes lol! yeah we are from accrington we lived near the stanley footy ground hee hee...thanks for your words of support everyone i told you this site was like therapy!

painter man Aug 3rd 2007 9:13 pm

All the luck in the world to you and yours:thumbsup:

kaz101 Aug 4th 2007 10:05 pm

Hey I hope things get better for you soon.

I've been a job with people that your husband worked with too, and the next job was completely different!

Good luck!

Karen

sj oldfield Aug 5th 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by kaz101 (Post 5149139)
Hey I hope things get better for you soon.

I've been a job with people that your husband worked with too, and the next job was completely different!

Good luck!

Karen

Thing can only get better!!!
When we first arrived here, just over 3 years ago, my OH got a job within a week.
He was leaving home at 5am, driving about 60kms to work, then the same coming back. He was on a wage of $800 per week, before stoppages, and most of that was going in the petrol tank. He was also treated like 'The Boy'
He stuck it out for a few months, then strted looking elewhere. Needless to say, he moved on, is now the site foreman for the company he works for, and earns a lot more than $800 per week.
keep ya chin up...............it will all sort itself out!!!

busterboy Aug 6th 2007 9:54 am

Sorry that things are tough at the moment. It is hard knowing what to vdo for the best isn't it?

I hope that it gets better soon.

I am here with you in no man's land a lot of the time and weirdly a happy camper at other moments. Ahhh such is life!:unsure:

travelbug Aug 7th 2007 1:19 pm

I hope things get better soon for you and your family - i'm sure they will.
Me and my OH often feel like we're a bit jinxed even here in the UK - so we're hoping our bad luck doesn't follow us when we move!!!

daunted Aug 9th 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by the greens (Post 5139397)

Hi there :thumbsup: Im not far from Accrington either - sunny Clitheroe :D

Bobcat Aug 9th 2007 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 5168897)
Hi there :thumbsup: Im not far from Accrington either - sunny Clitheroe :D

How's the castle?:confused:

daunted Aug 9th 2007 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bobcat (Post 5169149)
How's the castle?:confused:

:thumbsup: flying the cub scout flag for some strange reason :rofl:

framac Aug 12th 2007 11:23 am

AS, sometimes a problem can be magnified here for some strange reason. Actually died here (out for 20 mins) in March after a massive heart attack. It looked really bleak and OH was returning to Scotland with 3 kids and me in a box. After a few anxious weeks, I pulled through against all odds. They only gave me 7% chance of pulling through and if so definetly would have brain damage. No brain damage (some would disagree:rofl:) and back at work as welder. It wasn't easy and very scary for OH but we are over the worst and things are looking up. It can be hard and chucking it all in can sometimes seem the easier option but you have the dream and are living it. Keep going and good luck. If it can come good in my situation then it will work for anyone.:thumbsup: