British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   A newly arrived newbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/newly-arrived-newbie-507788/)

janeypie Jan 21st 2008 12:46 am

A newly arrived newbie

Hi there!

I arrived in Sydney Wednesday last week (16th Jan) after a grueling flight from Manchester and 14 hours in transit at singapore airport and a bumpy ride on the new airbus from singapore... even the usually so polite and chirpy singapore air stewardesses looked a tad concerned!!

So here I am after 2 years in the planning!! I've done it all on my own and I don't really know anyone in sydney so I'm feeling a bit proud of myself for being here :)
I have to admit to having a few second thoughts before my final departure... final xmas in the UK with the folks and all those goodbyes etc took there toll but for the first time I'm now feeling excited about being here. After months of people asking me if I was excited and me feeling guilty about not being at all I can finally throw myself at my new adventure :))

So here I am... hoping to make lots of new friends and waiting for the rain to stop!!! :)

speak to you all soon I hope!

Jane
xxx

esperanza Jan 21st 2008 1:39 am

Re: A newly arrived newbie

:thumbsup: Well done you! Enjoy!

sasbear Jan 21st 2008 2:34 am

Originally Posted by janeypie (Post 5816591)
Hi there!

I arrived in Sydney Wednesday last week (16th Jan) after a grueling flight from Manchester and 14 hours in transit at singapore airport and a bumpy ride on the new airbus from singapore... even the usually so polite and chirpy singapore air stewardesses looked a tad concerned!!

So here I am after 2 years in the planning!! I've done it all on my own and I don't really know anyone in sydney so I'm feeling a bit proud of myself for being here :)
I have to admit to having a few second thoughts before my final departure... final xmas in the UK with the folks and all those goodbyes etc took there toll but for the first time I'm now feeling excited about being here. After months of people asking me if I was excited and me feeling guilty about not being at all I can finally throw myself at my new adventure :))

So here I am... hoping to make lots of new friends and waiting for the rain to stop!!! :)

Jane
xxx

Welcome to Sydney and to BE:)

THE TURNER CLAN Jan 21st 2008 7:30 am

Well done Jane, enjoy your new life:thumbup::thumbup:

Rosscarbery Jan 21st 2008 8:42 am

Welcome to Sydney :) I arrived in Sydney on my own 18 year ago and met OH at a party. After 17 years in the UK (and three kids) we finally made it back 6 months ago. Sydney is a great place to be single :D

yc2m Jan 21st 2008 7:06 pm

Good luck on your new adventure Jane & welcome to BE :thumbup:

yc2m

janeypie Jan 22nd 2008 10:15 pm

thanks everyone!

I've slowly but surely sorted things out ... the only things left on my list of things to do is find somewhere to live (although I might have done that... still waiting to hear) and start work, which will be next week! Looking forward to starting to meet people and develop a social circle... feel like a total billy no mates at the moment!

might even pop along to one of your weekly meet ups if you're all nice to me!;)

janeypie Jan 22nd 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery (Post 5817832)
Welcome to Sydney :) I arrived in Sydney on my own 18 year ago and met OH at a party. After 17 years in the UK (and three kids) we finally made it back 6 months ago. Sydney is a great place to be single :D

well here's hoping!! :) would be nice to meet "someone" i have to admit... although knowing my luck it'll be someone from the wirral!! (where I'm from in the UK)

asher Jan 22nd 2008 11:26 pm

Hi Jane and welcome to Sydney!

I am off back to the UK shortly but hope you find all you want here!

i have found Sydney a lovely place, the billy no mates feeling will wear off pretty quickly.

enjoy yourself:thumbsup:

steve`o Jan 23rd 2008 4:03 am

Originally Posted by janeypie (Post 5825944)
well here's hoping!! :) would be nice to meet "someone" i have to admit... although knowing my luck it'll be someone from the wirral!! (where I'm from in the UK)

eh up a posh scouser :rofl:

LisaD_uk Jan 23rd 2008 6:32 am

Hi there!

Jane
xxx

Hi Jane
My Hubby 2 girls and I have been here almost 3 months so we are pretty new too. Sydney is a big place with lots of things to do so hope you have fun.
xx

Oz-bound Jan 23rd 2008 9:18 am

Hi there!

Jane
xxx

Hi and welcome to Sydney (and it has finally stopped raining!!!) :D I've been here 4 months now and LOVE it! If you ever fancy meeting up or someone to ask those questions you think are silly (they're not I assure you) shout out.

And enjoy :thumbsup:

Sally Simpson Jan 23rd 2008 11:22 am

Good luck with your new life & well done for being so brave!
Welcome to BE too!:thumbsup:

janeypie Jan 25th 2008 3:31 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5826831)
eh up a posh scouser :rofl:

:rofl: typical! I travel half way around teh world to get rid of that tag line! :lol:

janeypie Jan 25th 2008 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Oz-bound (Post 5827657)
Hi and welcome to Sydney (and it has finally stopped raining!!!) :D I've been here 4 months now and LOVE it! If you ever fancy meeting up or someone to ask those questions you think are silly (they're not I assure you) shout out.

And enjoy :thumbsup:

always up for meeting up!!!

think this next week is going to be a bit manic (starting new job :( ) but I'm definitely up for meeting at the weekend or the following week or something??