Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:07 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Hi Angie, were due to move to Perth at the end of the year, havent a clue what part of Perth to settle in as we havent been before, Im a nursery nurse too so would welcome any advice you can offer me.
Ozzie7,

What can I say!! Where to live is a decision that you alone can make. You might find some work in a local school or daycare centre. I am not a nursery nurse but a Nanny and there is not really Nanny work except in the posh Central Perth areas. It depends on what qualifications you have as to what you can do. Put the qualifications on here and I will try and find out.

Take care

Angie
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:32 am
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

All,

I hope I have answered all your questions. I have a couple of people asking about starting to work in childcare. I hope this helps those people.

To work in Childcare you need a Working with Children Check, WWCC for short. To get this you need a job and to get a job as a Nanny you need this so it is a bit of a catch 22. The WWCC is a new thing and the creases have not been ironed out of the system yet. Most agencies wont take you without it. I found an agency that would sign the form for me and I did work for them. I will warn you that I had to work for a very low wage in order to get this. There must be another way around but I couldn't find it. The forms for this are available from most post offices. The nearest british equivalent to this is the CRB police check, and some places might let you have time to apply for this especially if you have a reasonably up to date CRB. The WWCC is valid for 3 years. Officially you can work with children for up to a few days before applying for the check. You need to be living in WA before applying and have proof of address ie a WA driving liscence, or Australian passport. To get the driving liscence if you have a british driving liscence you go into the liscence centre(theres one in Rockingham) and pay and they give you a sight test and give you a slip to say you have it. Then you get it sent by post to your address. You have to have a residential address in WA to apply.

Rockingham Tafe does the certificates. Called Certificate 1, 2, 3 then diploma. Which I think is the same as NVQ level 1,2, and 3 respectively, but you would need to confirm this. Nanny needs level 3, but childcare centres vary some don't need any if you are classed as unqulified. If you are classed as qulaified then you will require level 3 or diploma.

With some Nanny positions you might be lucky enough to get a parent that doesn't worry about the WWCC as long as you apply if they offer you the job.

Hope all that helps

Angie
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:55 am
rjs
Forum Regular

rjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant future
Default Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

Hi Angie ,
Have sent you a pm,
robs
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:15 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Hi Angie, were due to move to Perth at the end of the year, havent a clue what part of Perth to settle in as we havent been before, Im a nursery nurse too so would welcome any advice you can offer me.
Hi
They don't seem to have nursery nurses here but similar that are called Mothercraft Nurses. I work in a mother and baby Unit in Subiaco that employs MC nurses if you want more info regarding the role let me know and I can find out from my colleagues.
Gillian
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:16 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markrj
All,

I hope I have answered all your questions. I have a couple of people asking about starting to work in childcare. I hope this helps those people.

To work in Childcare you need a Working with Children Check, WWCC for short. To get this you need a job and to get a job as a Nanny you need this so it is a bit of a catch 22. The WWCC is a new thing and the creases have not been ironed out of the system yet. Most agencies wont take you without it. I found an agency that would sign the form for me and I did work for them. I will warn you that I had to work for a very low wage in order to get this. There must be another way around but I couldn't find it. The forms for this are available from most post offices. The nearest british equivalent to this is the CRB police check, and some places might let you have time to apply for this especially if you have a reasonably up to date CRB. The WWCC is valid for 3 years. Officially you can work with children for up to a few days before applying for the check. You need to be living in WA before applying and have proof of address ie a WA driving liscence, or Australian passport. To get the driving liscence if you have a british driving liscence you go into the liscence centre(theres one in Rockingham) and pay and they give you a sight test and give you a slip to say you have it. Then you get it sent by post to your address. You have to have a residential address in WA to apply.

Rockingham Tafe does the certificates. Called Certificate 1, 2, 3 then diploma. Which I think is the same as NVQ level 1,2, and 3 respectively, but you would need to confirm this. Nanny needs level 3, but childcare centres vary some don't need any if you are classed as unqulified. If you are classed as qulaified then you will require level 3 or diploma.

With some Nanny positions you might be lucky enough to get a parent that doesn't worry about the WWCC as long as you apply if they offer you the job.

Hope all that helps

Angie
The Working with Childrens Check is easy to obtain at the Post Office for $50 (tax deductable) and comes thru in 10 days.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:45 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by rjs
Hi Angie ,
Have sent you a pm,
robs
Rob

Thanks for Private message and allowing me to give the www.emi-great.com website out.

also see my pm.

Angie
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:49 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by sme
The Working with Childrens Check is easy to obtain at the Post Office for $50 (tax deductable) and comes thru in 10 days.
Mine did come quickly once I got all of the proof that they require.

Angie
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:51 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Question Re: NEW MIGRANTS IN ROCKINGHAM WA, 1 hour south of Perth

All,

Someone from Brisbane is asking me about the blue card, I know it is roughly similar to the WWCC does anyone know how to apply for that. I really haven't got time to research this at the moment.

I know that some people want more info about the Perth area and there is a fantastic website that I have been lucky enough to get permission to put on here. It is www.emi-great.com

Hope that helps some of you

Angie
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
Hi angie we will be arriving in perth later in the year keen to look at an area south of rockingham called silver sands as the houses look a little cheaper than perth and we could get somthing near the coast for a reasonable price. Do you know of his area? Glad to see your doing well all the bset.
chris and vee
You have to be a little bit careful with Silver Sands, the area around the tavern is probably best avoided (Mandurah end) but the other end closer to San Remo is ok. However you do get what you pay for - if it's cheap and by the coast, there's a reason !!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 4:11 pm
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road

All,

Someone from Brisbane is asking me about the blue card, I know it is roughly similar to the WWCC does anyone know how to apply for that. I really haven't got time to research this at the moment.

I know that some people want more info about the Perth area and there is a fantastic website that I have been lucky enough to get permission to put on here. It is www.emi-great.com

Hope that helps some of you

Angie
Hi there,my name is Paula and my husband got the blue card,he says to go to www.bluedogtraining.com.au and see if that helps as that is the only training course online,you might be able to get ure info from here.
So go online and it will answer all you need to know
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

webs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themorgans
Hi. We have just been granted our visas and are looking to move to the Rockingham area. We are a young family, with two boys, one is 3 the other 4 months. We are looking for somewhere with a community atmosphere and away from the hussle and bussle of town life, would you recommend Rockingham for us? We are coming over in November to have a look at houses and schools etc, do you know the local primary school?
You said you are living in units, could you tell me what these are exactly?
Any other advice you could give us which you think would be of use would be great.
Many Thanks
The Morgans
the best place around that area is secret harbour without a shadow of doubt,it has a real sense of community. it has everything you want 2 primary schools and new high school, shopping centre, its just 10 mins from rockingham centre and 40 from perth and has its own beach which is stunning and a links golf course. what more could you want
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:07 am
Rocko since Feb 07

Originally Posted by Paula223
Hi there,my name is Paula and my husband got the blue card,he says to go to www.bluedogtraining.com.au and see if that helps as that is the only training course online,you might be able to get ure info from here.
So go online and it will answer all you need to know
Thanks Paula. I will make sure they check out that link.

Angie
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:13 am
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paula. I will make sure they check out that link.

Angie
ure very welcome just hope it helps
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Have sent you a private message Angie, Thank you for your very helpful post.

Does anyone else no anything about Coogee (cockburn) between Rockingham and Fremantle? Cant find much info about it at all!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:24 am
Rocko since Feb 07

A question I have been asked:
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COOGEE

We are moving to an area called Coogee between Rockingham and Fremantle. The employer has a house there for us. Just wondered if you knew what the area was like, i cant find anything on it on the net anywhere! no pics, no nothing!

My reply to this was:
I have limited knowledge of Coogee, it is near the coast and the access to the beaches is over sand cliffs. The beaches are nice sand. I believe that the town is to the right of the beaches if you are coming from Rockingham.

All I know of the area is that there is a company Coogee chemicals. I don't know what chemicals they deal with.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

But we will try to have a closer look when we are up in Perth on Sunday.
Angie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.