Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Nearly 4 years on the Sunshine Coast and boy have I changed

Nearly 4 years on the Sunshine Coast and boy have I changed

Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nearly 4 years on the Sunshine Coast and boy have I changed

Hi Thank you for your responses

Kerry - We live in Caloundra and I can recommend Talara Primary college, but you must rent or live within the zone. I am unsure of the location of the Mater however I am assuming in may be in Brisbane. I nice suburb in Brisbane mmm, really posh Maybe Paddington and Auchenflower, Windsor. Nice Kelvin Grove.

I still go out of my comfort zone now and make friends, as having a baby and going to mothers groups etc. Funnily enough for the loudest in the room I am also the shyest (is that a word)

It can be difficult to make friends as both parties need to be hiring as I say, i.e maybe they don't want new friends. My hubby joined a football team I joined a swimming club and that was it friends made. I have also met my closest friend on here before we both migrated over. I went out my comfort zone and phoned them when we arrived in Caloundra and, we have been takeing the mick out of each other ever since.

However it is like anywhere you have to actually get on with them, so you may kiss a few frogs before you find your prince charming (so to speak) Funnily enough I have a lot of Pommy friends and am still hiring as I love to mix and be social (when one can) with a 9 month old.

So anyone who likes to karaoke is always welcome at mine
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

kerrylana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Carrianne

Kerry - We live in Caloundra and I can recommend Talara Primary college, but you must rent or live within the zone. I am unsure of the location of the Mater however I am assuming in may be in Brisbane. I nice suburb in Brisbane mmm, really posh Maybe Paddington and Auchenflower, Windsor. Nice Kelvin Grove.

I still go out of my comfort zone now and make friends, as having a baby and going to mothers groups etc. Funnily enough for the loudest in the room I am also the shyest (is that a word)

It can be difficult to make friends as both parties need to be hiring as I say, i.e maybe they don't want new friends. My hubby joined a football team I joined a swimming club and that was it friends made. I have also met my closest friend on here before we both migrated over. I went out my comfort zone and phoned them when we arrived in Caloundra and, we have been takeing the mick out of each other ever since.

However it is like anywhere you have to actually get on with them, so you may kiss a few frogs before you find your prince charming (so to speak) Funnily enough I have a lot of Pommy friends and am still hiring as I love to mix and be social (when one can) with a 9 month old.

Dear carianne

We have been looking at banksia beach, do you know what it is like there?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Sorry not even sure where that is ?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:08 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

thats great. I love making a prat out of myself. will definitley stay in touch.
best of luck
bec
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Carrianne;5539133] I also had to have the best clothes from designer this and that. Or should I say that's who I used to be, now I don't know, or don't care and generally don't know what I am doing in an hour. QUOTE]

Carriane - really enjoyed reading your message! We are heading to the Sunshine Coast this year, we have had our visa's 2.5 years, with 3 young children in tow.

I love Monsoon and have cupboards full of the stuff which will all be shipped, I often wonder, where will I shop, what no Monsoon or Laura Ashley!!??, but I know that things will change and the same 'ole shorts n t's will be out in force, I love shopping for clothes to the extent of obsession, I probably won't miss it and OH will be well pleased, those monsoon fancies will end up getting moth balls in the cupboard. Although I'm sure I can spend a few quid in the surf shop at Sunshine plaza as I did two years ago on the validation trip - I was in heaven!!

Sallyx
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Hi, It was great to read your update. We are going to be moving to the Sunshine coast early May with 3 children. We have been focusing on Caloundra, but also looking at the rest of the coast.
It's good to hear about the area, as we haven't made our mind up.
Kate
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

The lifestyle here is so laid back you cannot help but be seduced by it. I am, in all honesty, a very organised, need to know what is happening every weekend for the next year, type girl. I also had to have the best clothes from designer this and that. Or should I say that's who I used to be, now I don't know, or don't care and generally don't know what I am doing in an hour. Things will be right mate.

I have chilled and gone with the flow, you can resist it and complain about it but it will get you eventually.

Hubby is a Carpenter and has only been out of work for 4 weeks in the whole time we have been here, he is skilled in all areas, of renovation first and second fix, stairs, decks etc. He has completed temp work for Q build and mainly worked with builders on the coast.

I have been employed by the same company since we arrived and got my job 6 weeks after we landed. Granted I have to travel to Brisbane every day, but I enjoy my job and the travel I get to read and always get a seat.

Slipping into the Australian Culture can be hard, with its quasi American tip bits, but they are very non judging, and open people and it is hard to relax into that coming from the UK. It takes a while to let go of your ...mmm what can I call it, Ukness and really chill.

I think this is a major factor for people settling here Apart from the missing family/friends etc - everyone does the comparisons when they first come over then soon forget them and take stock, some people I know cannot stop comparing which makes them incredibly unhappy sometimes. I have noted in my own observations that those who have gone with it (lifestyle) tend to be happier wether they are rich or poor.

I am still not and don't think I will ever settle into the driving here, it really is like taking your risk at the Arche de Triomphe in Paris Every man for himself.

We have now have a wee baby of our own who was born over here, so we will be a mixed football team, English, Scottish and Australian

We are happy, but it was hard when I had my daughter I wanted all my family here and never wanted them to leave. These are emotions that you have never felt before and we dealt with by realising that we have sacrificed the family for a better lifestyle, in essence. We know our daughter will love it here and has (we feel) more opportunity, especially in sport as we are both very sporty people.

We have made lots of friends and some I would trust my life with. Making friends is hard and you really have to go out of your comfort zone to make them or ask some people round for a BBQ. Or as we did got everyone we know to have a BBQ down at Happy Valley.

We are also citizens now too so, we don't ever plan to go back to the UK, our roots will always define us as people, but we are very happy here. Of course we miss things like when I was pregnant, I would of died for a portion of chips and curry but thats nothing I ended up eating thai curry non stop.

For those coming over I used to say this many years ago on this forum, try not to have too many expecations and just go with the flow.

Cheers

Carrianne

Fantstic post, so happy for you
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

nice post,

know what you mean, however only been here 3 mths. i now wear a short skirt and bikini top with singlet. would never have done that in UK.

Life is laid back here but to a newbie sometimes this is frustrating. as you do compare service to UK. However when i nip to Woolies with the kids i dont have to pack my own bags & they push my trolley to the car if i need it. even pack the car up! Fruit barn is my fav for this!

nice you're getting on just nicely, i hope to post something like this in a few years... Currently in Mt Creek, got lots of mates already, but would like to settle somewhere a little less 'full'.

regards, S-j x
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

davidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the roughdavidleonard1983 is a jewel in the rough

The lifestyle here is so laid back you cannot help but be seduced by it. I am, in all honesty, a very organised, need to know what is happening every weekend for the next year, type girl. I also had to have the best clothes from designer this and that. Or should I say that's who I used to be, now I don't know, or don't care and generally don't know what I am doing in an hour. Things will be right mate.

I have chilled and gone with the flow, you can resist it and complain about it but it will get you eventually.

Hubby is a Carpenter and has only been out of work for 4 weeks in the whole time we have been here, he is skilled in all areas, of renovation first and second fix, stairs, decks etc. He has completed temp work for Q build and mainly worked with builders on the coast.

I have been employed by the same company since we arrived and got my job 6 weeks after we landed. Granted I have to travel to Brisbane every day, but I enjoy my job and the travel I get to read and always get a seat.

Slipping into the Australian Culture can be hard, with its quasi American tip bits, but they are very non judging, and open people and it is hard to relax into that coming from the UK. It takes a while to let go of your ...mmm what can I call it, Ukness and really chill.

I think this is a major factor for people settling here Apart from the missing family/friends etc - everyone does the comparisons when they first come over then soon forget them and take stock, some people I know cannot stop comparing which makes them incredibly unhappy sometimes. I have noted in my own observations that those who have gone with it (lifestyle) tend to be happier wether they are rich or poor.

I am still not and don't think I will ever settle into the driving here, it really is like taking your risk at the Arche de Triomphe in Paris Every man for himself.

We have now have a wee baby of our own who was born over here, so we will be a mixed football team, English, Scottish and Australian

We are happy, but it was hard when I had my daughter I wanted all my family here and never wanted them to leave. These are emotions that you have never felt before and we dealt with by realising that we have sacrificed the family for a better lifestyle, in essence. We know our daughter will love it here and has (we feel) more opportunity, especially in sport as we are both very sporty people.

We have made lots of friends and some I would trust my life with. Making friends is hard and you really have to go out of your comfort zone to make them or ask some people round for a BBQ. Or as we did got everyone we know to have a BBQ down at Happy Valley.

We are also citizens now too so, we don't ever plan to go back to the UK, our roots will always define us as people, but we are very happy here. Of course we miss things like when I was pregnant, I would of died for a portion of chips and curry but thats nothing I ended up eating thai curry non stop.

For those coming over I used to say this many years ago on this forum, try not to have too many expecations and just go with the flow.

Cheers

Carrianne
Hi carrianne,

My fiancee Sarah and i have been into London today to get our permenant visas for Oz stamped into our passports. WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

We're looking to come out in August/September this year to Oz and we love the sunshine coast. Its been a while since we've been there and last time we were tourists. Could you recommend any up and coming areas in the Sunshine coast which we could be checking out? Sarahs 26 and i'm 25 (toyboy) and we're getting married in May before we come over. Wanting to get settled before having kiddies so we're looking long term for good family areas.

I'm a carpenter and heard theres plenty of work out there. Is this true???

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!! Any help would be great!!!

Thanks David x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Congratulations on both visas and getting married. Life is certainly moving for you.

There is plenty work for carpenters as my hubby is one and has never been out of work for longer than 2 weeks at a time then all the offers come at once.

The whole is family orientated, as you may recall bbq's on the beach and great parks. It depends if you want to live really close to the coast or 15 - 20 mins away.

I can recommend some suburbs such as Currimundi, Aroona, Coolum, Peregian, Little Mountain.

In land, Buderim.

Good luck with everything

Carrianne x
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Carrianne
Hi Carrianne and family!,

That was brilliant to read...i hope i get into the same frame of mind when i arrive on the gold coast hopefully next Jan/Feb.
All the best,

Lee