British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Nearly 4 years on the Sunshine Coast and boy have I changed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/nearly-4-years-sunshine-coast-boy-have-i-changed-493085/)

Carrianne Nov 10th 2007 11:10 pm

Nearly 4 years on the Sunshine Coast and boy have I changed

The lifestyle here is so laid back you cannot help but be seduced by it. I am, in all honesty, a very organised, need to know what is happening every weekend for the next year, type girl. I also had to have the best clothes from designer this and that. Or should I say that's who I used to be, now I don't know, or don't care and generally don't know what I am doing in an hour. Things will be right mate.

I have chilled and gone with the flow, you can resist it and complain about it but it will get you eventually. ;)

Hubby is a Carpenter and has only been out of work for 4 weeks in the whole time we have been here, he is skilled in all areas, of renovation first and second fix, stairs, decks etc. He has completed temp work for Q build and mainly worked with builders on the coast.

I have been employed by the same company since we arrived and got my job 6 weeks after we landed. Granted I have to travel to Brisbane every day, but I enjoy my job and the travel I get to read and always get a seat.

Slipping into the Australian Culture can be hard, with its quasi American tip bits, but they are very non judging, and open people and it is hard to relax into that coming from the UK. It takes a while to let go of your ...mmm what can I call it, Ukness :rofl: and really chill.

I think this is a major factor for people settling here:blink: Apart from the missing family/friends etc - everyone does the comparisons when they first come over then soon forget them and take stock, some people I know cannot stop comparing which makes them incredibly unhappy sometimes. I have noted in my own observations that those who have gone with it (lifestyle) tend to be happier wether they are rich or poor.

I am still not and don't think I will ever settle into the driving here, it really is like taking your risk at the Arche de Triomphe in Paris :eek: Every man for himself.

We have now have a wee baby of our own who was born over here, so we will be a mixed football team, English, Scottish and Australian :eek:

We are happy, but it was hard when I had my daughter I wanted all my family here and never wanted them to leave. These are emotions that you have never felt before and we dealt with by realising that we have sacrificed the family for a better lifestyle, in essence. We know our daughter will love it here and has (we feel) more opportunity, especially in sport as we are both very sporty people.

We have made lots of friends and some I would trust my life with. Making friends is hard and you really have to go out of your comfort zone to make them or ask some people round for a BBQ. Or as we did got everyone we know to have a BBQ down at Happy Valley.

We are also citizens now too so, we don't ever plan to go back to the UK, our roots will always define us as people, but we are very happy here. Of course we miss things like when I was pregnant, I would of died for a portion of chips and curry :rofl: but thats nothing I ended up eating thai curry non stop.

For those coming over I used to say this many years ago on this forum, try not to have too many expecations and just go with the flow. :thumbup:

Cheers

Carrianne :thumbsup:

juss44 Nov 11th 2007 3:00 am

Re: Nearly 4 years on the Sunshine Coast and boy have I changed

Originally Posted by Carrianne (Post 5539133)
The lifestyle here is so laid back you cannot help but be seduced by it. I am, in all honesty, a very organised, need to know what is happening every weekend for the next year, type girl. I also had to have the best clothes from designer this and that. Or should I say that's who I used to be, now I don't know, or don't care and generally don't know what I am doing in an hour. Things will be right mate.

I have chilled and gone with the flow, you can resist it and complain about it but it will get you eventually. ;)

Hubby is a Carpenter and has only been out of work for 4 weeks in the whole time we have been here, he is skilled in all areas, of renovation first and second fix, stairs, decks etc. He has completed temp work for Q build and mainly worked with builders on the coast.

I have been employed by the same company since we arrived and got my job 6 weeks after we landed. Granted I have to travel to Brisbane every day, but I enjoy my job and the travel I get to read and always get a seat.

Slipping into the Australian Culture can be hard, with its quasi American tip bits, but they are very non judging, and open people and it is hard to relax into that coming from the UK. It takes a while to let go of your ...mmm what can I call it, Ukness :rofl: and really chill.

I think this is a major factor for people settling here:blink: Apart from the missing family/friends etc - everyone does the comparisons when they first come over then soon forget them and take stock, some people I know cannot stop comparing which makes them incredibly unhappy sometimes. I have noted in my own observations that those who have gone with it (lifestyle) tend to be happier wether they are rich or poor.

I am still not and don't think I will ever settle into the driving here, it really is like taking your risk at the Arche de Triomphe in Paris :eek: Every man for himself.

We have now have a wee baby of our own who was born over here, so we will be a mixed football team, English, Scottish and Australian :eek:

We are happy, but it was hard when I had my daughter I wanted all my family here and never wanted them to leave. These are emotions that you have never felt before and we dealt with by realising that we have sacrificed the family for a better lifestyle, in essence. We know our daughter will love it here and has (we feel) more opportunity, especially in sport as we are both very sporty people.

We have made lots of friends and some I would trust my life with. Making friends is hard and you really have to go out of your comfort zone to make them or ask some people round for a BBQ. Or as we did got everyone we know to have a BBQ down at Happy Valley.

We are also citizens now too so, we don't ever plan to go back to the UK, our roots will always define us as people, but we are very happy here. Of course we miss things like when I was pregnant, I would of died for a portion of chips and curry :rofl: but thats nothing I ended up eating thai curry non stop.

For those coming over I used to say this many years ago on this forum, try not to have too many expecations and just go with the flow. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hi There,what a great read. Iam currently sat in Timperley in Manchester, I can't sleep.

We had our Visa Grant 16 October, oh a Plumber/mains layer. The Sunshine Coast is one of our fave places.....We have lots of these....

I think you hit it on the head when you said don't have too many expectations.

Enjoy your new born babs.....I have a recently turned 4 year old and a 20 month old babs.

Great read.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

See ya soon, house fell through but hey, not too worry,It won't be long.

Justine

Carrianne Nov 11th 2007 5:41 am

Thanks, no expectations, Good luck with the house sale :thumbsup:

Ben&Steph2009 Nov 11th 2007 1:51 pm

Cheers

Hi Carrianne

Thanks for the post; I really enjoyed reading how you and your family have got on.

My other half Ben and me are planning on coming out early 2009 to the sunshine coast. He is a chippy and I’m a number cruncher.

I can totally relate to how you were four years ago!

I am very organised and like to know what is going on - plan plan plan etc etc

I'm also very sad to move away from the family particularly as I want to start a family asap (and not allowed until we get to OZ) so will be going through the pregnancy without family support. However I want to move to give our future family a better lifestyle.

Anyway reading your post it was nice to hear a very positive approach to your new life and made me more determined to get that VISA sorted.

Quick qtn… do you travel by train to Brisbane? How long does it take?

Have a lovely day
Stephanie

sarahlou Nov 11th 2007 2:24 pm

Cheers

Excellent post Carriane ! for a minute i thought i was reading about myself especially as OH is a carpenter as well !
This is exactly what i need because if im true to myself im quite materialistic as i too like to have all the nice stuff and labels ect and be in control of what & where and time ect so i need to chill and stop worrying about what i look like and what people think (not saying you do !)
Glad to hear that your OH has been in work as thats a worry as im starting to panic now about it and weve not left yet ! weve leave Jan 5th and heading for the Goldcoast and we are going to Sunshine coast and Brisbane to wheres best for work ect but it does seem that there is work out there,
take care,
sarah

Sally Simpson Nov 11th 2007 2:35 pm

Really great post carianne:thumbsup:
Thanks!

daunted Nov 11th 2007 6:21 pm

:thumbsup: excellent post! we land on 27th November, just me and 2 kids and we are all up for going with the flow - we have some expectations, most of them being that it is going to be hard BUT we are ready:thumbsup::wub:

Carrianne Nov 11th 2007 8:59 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very true, more so here on the Sunshine Coast than Brisbane and the Gold Coast that materialism is not an issue. It isn't that people don't have money they just don't have to prove it to feel good about themselves.

Stephanie, I drive to Caboolture then get the train the drive is 30 mins the train which is always on time, takes 50 mins.

Take Care and any more questions for a ye locale I am always happy to help. Check out my things to do list, before you leave. :thumbup:

camacazi Nov 11th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Carrianne (Post 5542161)
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very true, more so here on the Sunshine Coast than Brisbane and the Gold Coast that materialism is not an issue. It isn't that people don't have money they just don't have to prove it to feel good about themselves.

Stephanie, I drive to Caboolture then get the train the drive is 30 mins the train which is always on time, takes 50 mins.

Take Care and any more questions for a ye locale I am always happy to help. Check out my things to do list, before you leave. :thumbup:

hi carrianne

excellent post,
where abouts in sunshine coast do you live?
we hope to be moving to either caloundra or redcliffe august next year:thumbup:

oh is also a joiner but he's more into making and fitting kitchens

what time is it there? ur up very early r u not?

Carrianne Nov 11th 2007 9:20 pm

Hi,

We are in Caloundra, Redcliffe is not on the Sunshine Coast it is about 40 mins south, do you know it well ? There isn't a beach as such there ?

I am up pretty early I have a 9 month old kidlet to wake me :blink:

It is 8.19am

Carrianne x

camacazi Nov 11th 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Carrianne (Post 5542232)
Hi,

We are in Caloundra, Redcliffe is not on the Sunshine Coast it is about 40 mins south, do you know it well ? There isn't a beach as such there ?

I am up pretty early I have a 9 month old kidlet to wake me :blink:

It is 8.19am

Carrianne x

we went on a recci in april and fell in love with caloundra, however we're thinking redcliffe might have better job opp for oh and be closer to brisse for work?:blink:

would idealy like to live in caloundra, did like redcliffes man made beach or pool thing ( you know what i mean)

Carrianne Nov 11th 2007 10:07 pm

Yes it is closer, but it depends what work you do ? Woody point in Redcliffe is nice and the pub on the water is great for sunday dinners.

C x

kerrylana Nov 12th 2007 10:22 am

Hello Cariaanne.

We arrive in brisbane in december and our thinking of moving to sunshine coast. Whereabouts do you live. I have a job at the mater childrens hospital and was wondering on the travelling time. My daughter is nearly 5 and will be going into prep year, can you recommend any good schools. Can you also recommend any nice places to live.

kerry

dolliedimples Nov 12th 2007 12:36 pm

Cheers

Loved your post...and so true...designer labels..what are they???
we love livin on the Gold Coast..moved up from Melbourne and started jobs before venturing north abit...
Gotta say..the Sunshine coast is soooo beautiful..

Just goin thru that havin to go outta my comfort zone to make friends....as when we arrived with 2 small pre schoolers we had little money..me a nurse and hubby a truckie..ok till we got PR then he lost his licence as not recognised!!!
So became an apprentice plumber..land of opportunities for sure..never had the chance to do that at his age back in England!!
So with pre schoolers, no support and work etc..social life had to take a back seat..but always had loads of friends and Im missing this aspect of my life..
I feel so nervous about goin out and trying to meet new people and make friends..its like you lose the art of conversation and Im worryin about bein borin!!!!
After all the nerve wrackin, nail bitin, stomach churnin emotions we have been thru to get to this point...I feel that this next step is even bigger!!
Isnt it funny..if I wasnt so anxious about it Id be laughin me head off at myself!

So, any hints you can provide to me will be gratefully appreciated..one thing I did think of..make sure I double the booze supply..

LOL Sarah xxx

egghead4 Nov 12th 2007 7:31 pm

hi carrianne

I love your update about oz, you seem so full of enthusiasm, just what i needed to hear:thumbsup: as SC is where we want to end up
you and your family appear really settled. has it been really hard to make good friends?
good luck
bec