Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Nearly 3 months in Perth

Wikiposts

Nearly 3 months in Perth

Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

tessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant future
Smile Nearly 3 months in Perth

Myself and my fiance have been in Perth for early 3 months now, and we absolutely LOVE it. We have a lovely 3 bedroom house, with a nice garden and pool, have made some really great friends ( Ozzies, brits and lots of scots!) and just feel the quality of life here is so so so much better than in the UK.

In the UK we worked all hours, lived in a cramped small 1 bedroom apartment and fought to make ends meat. Since moving to Perth, we have both spent a lot more time outside, it has definitely started to change our lifestyles ( and our waistlines are shrinking by the week!).

I found it hard at first, as I felt we struggled to make friends on here due to not having any children - perth is very family orientated, which is lovely, but i think people saw us as two young'uns not really taking anything seriously. So we went out, made friends and now arent looking back. I am incredibly shy, and in the UK people just used to give up with me, but here I have really made to feel welcome.

I think the ozzies are absolutely wonderful - they are so friendly and witty, and I absolutely love it. We have been invited out so many times, for drinks, to play golf, go to the cinema, have barbis, by people we didnt know, and that just helped us so much. I love living in such a beautiful city, where its a pleasure to walk round each day and be surrounded by such polite people and wonderful scenery.

I have felt homesick at times - but not for the places, just for my family and friends. But I dont want to let my emotions get the better of me, because I know the life myself and my fiance can build out here is 200% better than anything we could have hoped for in the UK. And I would rather bring my future children up in Perth, than anywhere else.

Bella x
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:40 am
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: Nearly 3 months in Perth

well pleased to hear you're lovin it! I can't wait til I can post something similar. We are comin over on honeymoon at the end of September to do a proper reccie - we are stayin with a mate who has been there a year and has never looked back! good on you, Diz x
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:52 am
Loving Perth!

mand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to all
Default Re: Nearly 3 months in Perth

Glad to hear such a positive post about Perth from someone young! Its always great to read updates from people but even better when its people in similar situations to us - and about the place we are heading to

We finally got a CO today so fingers crossed that we should have our visa this week. We are aiming to fly out end of October / start of November

Did you find it easy to find jobs? What area are you living in? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? We are both in our mid 20s

Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

tessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant futuretessabella has a brilliant future

Hey!

We both came out here with jobs luckily, so we didnt have that to worry about. What industry do you both work in?

Im 23 and my fiance is 24. Drop me a line when you get out here if you like - its always great meeting new people! :-)
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:28 pm
Loving Perth!

mand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to allmand-jim is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tessabella
Hey!

We both came out here with jobs luckily, so we didnt have that to worry about. What industry do you both work in?

Im 23 and my fiance is 24. Drop me a line when you get out here if you like - its always great meeting new people! :-)
WOOHOO! Our visas have been approved this morning - fantastic!

We will be on our way in October, I can't believe it!

James is a First Class Machinist and I am currently doing an Inventory Control job (purchasing / admin). We will start applying for jobs now that we know when we will be arriving

Mandy
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Originally Posted by mand-jim
WOOHOO! Our visas have been approved this morning - fantastic!

We will be on our way in October, I can't believe it!

James is a First Class Machinist and I am currently doing an Inventory Control job (purchasing / admin). We will start applying for jobs now that we know when we will be arriving

Mandy
Congrats on your visa i am glad that you like perth and is really good to hear some positive things as we are moving over in oct so great to read how other folks are enjoying it and cant wait .where abouts are you ?kate
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:50 pm
we're there!

AshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant futureAshyB has a brilliant future

glad to hear you have settled in quickly and definitely sounds like the decision to go was the right one.

We've got a CO and have sent off all the requested info but still waiting for the visa. Hoping to be out in Perth by Oct/Nov...

We're in the same boat as you two; young n married but no kids - would definitely be up for a few drinks when we make it there.

are you NOR or SOR?
Mandy - congrats on the visa!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Its nice to see such a positive thread. we are hoping to be out in perth by early 2010 and cant wait...even more so after reading your post.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and my fiance have been in Perth for early 3 months now, and we absolutely LOVE it. We have a lovely 3 bedroom house, with a nice garden and pool, have made some really great friends ( Ozzies, brits and lots of scots!) and just feel the quality of life here is so so so much better than in the UK.

In the UK we worked all hours, lived in a cramped small 1 bedroom apartment and fought to make ends meat. Since moving to Perth, we have both spent a lot more time outside, it has definitely started to change our lifestyles ( and our waistlines are shrinking by the week!).

I found it hard at first, as I felt we struggled to make friends on here due to not having any children - perth is very family orientated, which is lovely, but i think people saw us as two young'uns not really taking anything seriously. So we went out, made friends and now arent looking back. I am incredibly shy, and in the UK people just used to give up with me, but here I have really made to feel welcome.

I think the ozzies are absolutely wonderful - they are so friendly and witty, and I absolutely love it. We have been invited out so many times, for drinks, to play golf, go to the cinema, have barbis, by people we didnt know, and that just helped us so much. I love living in such a beautiful city, where its a pleasure to walk round each day and be surrounded by such polite people and wonderful scenery.

I have felt homesick at times - but not for the places, just for my family and friends. But I dont want to let my emotions get the better of me, because I know the life myself and my fiance can build out here is 200% better than anything we could have hoped for in the UK. And I would rather bring my future children up in Perth, than anywhere else.

Bella x
What a lovely positive post!
Well done & def worth some karma!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:38 am
Just Joined

pomsrus will become famous soon enoughpomsrus will become famous soon enough

Hello to you all and congratulations

My name is Catherine and I migrated 2 and a half yars ago with hubbie and 3 kids (aged 14, 12 and 4) and so know only too well how you are all feeling. Relieved and exhausted now the processing is all over, like screaming with excitement one minute, fear and dread the next, then impatient again and then back to anxiety about what you have still got to do and what lies ahead.

I live in Mandurah and so am very familiar with all the areas that you mention you plan to go to, so if I can help with anything, just let me know. I am also a qualified and licensed finance broker, so if any of you need any assistance in arranging finance or simply have a question just drop me a line. If I can help with anything at all I will be more than happy to do so, remember only too well all those emotions, hurdles and endless bloody paperwork! I don't know if any of you have friends or family already, but if not and you need any help with anything give me a shout, I will be more than happy to point you in the right direction (assuming I can that is, but am very familiar with all those suburbs and schools, jobs, doctors etc...)

Don't forget your bisto gravy, uk chocolate (australian chocolate is awful, even cadburys, and for the curry lovers, get your quota before you come and start having to eat barbq's on the beaches every night!!!).

Congratulations, to you all and see you all very soon on the sunny side

Catherine
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

ellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Nearly 3 months in Perth

It is so great to read positive posts like this!! I have read so many negative things recently about Perth on this forum that it was starting to get me down! My boyfriend and I, both in our mid 20s, have just started applying for a PR visa, we want to move to Perth after spending 4 months there when we finished uni. We've got a long way to go yet before we finally make it over but it's nice to know there are lots of like-minded individuals over there too.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Oh good, thats what its al about, we all leave our families behind and there is a huge sense of replacement family here, I have found it to be like that here in Mandurah, after all we have all had to jump through the same hoops and get over the same hurdles to get here haven't we.

good luck with the application and hope to see you very soon on the sunny side!!!

Catherine
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:14 am
Just Joined

hughes is an unknown quantity at this point

Bella x
What an inspirational post! Your happiness shines through.

We are off to Perth next year, cant wait!

Laura
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:45 am
Just Joined

louisemmcintyre is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Nearly 3 months in Perth

Hi my husband has ben offered a job in rockingham perth and we´re hoping to get our visas soon and be over by november any advice on schooling in rockingham? we have three young girls (9,7 and 4) which are the nicest areas to live? any information on the area itself would be gratefully recieved!
we currently live in spain and own a bar but have wanted to emigrate for years and it looks like its finally happening!!!!
my husband is originally from glasgow and i´m from darlington north east england but we´ve both been here in spain for almost nine years.
really nervous but excited about the future.
i plan to gain my certificate III in commercial cookery when i get there does anyone know the closest college? got loads of research to do so better get cracking!!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louisemmcintyre
Hi my husband has ben offered a job in rockingham perth and we´re hoping to get our visas soon and be over by november any advice on schooling in rockingham? we have three young girls (9,7 and 4) which are the nicest areas to live? any information on the area itself would be gratefully recieved!
we currently live in spain and own a bar but have wanted to emigrate for years and it looks like its finally happening!!!!
my husband is originally from glasgow and i´m from darlington north east england but we´ve both been here in spain for almost nine years.
really nervous but excited about the future.
i plan to gain my certificate III in commercial cookery when i get there does anyone know the closest college? got loads of research to do so better get cracking!!!!!
Hi Louise

Thats great, i only know of the catholic primary school star of the sea in Rockingham and Kolbe Catholic College (high/secondary school years 8 onwards). Both have good reputations, or there is St Bernadettes in Port Kennedy (5 minutes from Rockingham) and there will be plenty of government schools too. I have a cousin who lives in Safety Bay, Waikiki, Shoalwater, Port Kennedy & Warnbro, are all minutes from Rockingham City Centre) I like them areas, but hubbie is a sparkie over here and works all over and says avoid Kwinana, Hilman, Palmeyra, basically anything to the east of Ennis Avenue (the freeway from Perth south) is really rough and gets rougher the further you go inland as that is where the indiginous tend to opt for.

Check out realestate.com.au, you can see where these areas are, check a map of Rockingham and you will see Ennis Avenue, I live in Mandurah and the same pattern applies here, anything west of Ennis Avenue are the better areas by far and from crossing to the other side of the freeway the areas are not so good.

Check out TAFE in WA, TAFE is what they call college over here, and although they have sites all over, different ones offer different subjects. Most courses are done by course number, I don't know if the Cert III in commercial cooking is the name of the course here or not, if it is you will find it on the TAFE sites, there is a TAFE site in Mandurah (35 minutes from Rockingham) and one in Fremantle, but I am not sure if there is one in Rockingham, I would guess that there is. But TAFE WA's site will tell you where they have them and what you can do at each one. But if it is named something else over here, you will just need to check out the equivelent here and see which TAFE site offers it. Easy way to find out is search on seek.com.au for commercial cook vacancies in WA (as it varies from state to state) and see what qualification they are asking for.

Hope this helps you out a bit, and don't forget if you need to buy a house when you get here, give a fellow pom a call and I will make sure we get you the best deal possible!!

Bye for now
Catherine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.