Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A mini update from Student visa people in Perth!

A mini update from Student visa people in Perth!

Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default A mini update from Student visa people in Perth!

So we've been here 3 months now and it has taken hubby that long to find a job. He ended up labouring for a brickie just to get his face known on construction sites and thankfully it worked. He's now got a job with a tiling firm (we're here on student visas and he's studying wall and floor tiling). Just as well as he hated working with the brickie although he had weeks of work thrown at him.

The tiling lot seem really pleased with him and he's just finished his first week.

It's been very stressful. Way more so than I ever thought. We've been together 10 years and in that time I can hand on heart say we never rowed about anything...narked and moaned yes, but never fought...until Perth! Once the novelty of being in holiday mode wore off and the bills started coming in we found our relationship being tested. We're good but just found ourselves somewhere we'd never been before! We found it extremely hard being around each other 24/7. Late nights and as we weren't working it was too easy to open wine/beer!

I am still looking for a job. Got some casual hours and hope to build on that.

Our son is in daycare a few mornings a week and seems very settled.

So fingers crossed we're heading in the right direction. We need 900 hours within 2 years to even start to look at PR. We've spent a fortune so far and money doesn't just run out of your account it positively floods! Going back isn't an option!
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A mini update from Student visa people in Perth!

Originally Posted by Kingseat
So we've been here 3 months now and it has taken hubby that long to find a job. He ended up labouring for a brickie just to get his face known on construction sites and thankfully it worked. He's now got a job with a tiling firm (we're here on student visas and he's studying wall and floor tiling). Just as well as he hated working with the brickie although he had weeks of work thrown at him.

The tiling lot seem really pleased with him and he's just finished his first week.

It's been very stressful. Way more so than I ever thought. We've been together 10 years and in that time I can hand on heart say we never rowed about anything...narked and moaned yes, but never fought...until Perth! Once the novelty of being in holiday mode wore off and the bills started coming in we found our relationship being tested. We're good but just found ourselves somewhere we'd never been before! We found it extremely hard being around each other 24/7. Late nights and as we weren't working it was too easy to open wine/beer!

So fingers crossed we're heading in the right direction. We need 900 hours within 2 years to even start to look at PR. We've spent a fortune so far and money doesn't just run out of your account it positively floods! Going back isn't an option!
Hi so sorry to hear this but stick it in. Things will change. Im also from Fife, but came over here on a spouse visa. My hubby is an ex wall and floor tiler and an excellent one at that. Where we live in the far north coast he struggled to find work (worked for him self for 20+ years) too much competition and also not good on the body. he has now ventured into the security industry (not a career move) but he did apply for over 1/12 years for other types of work, much harder if you have been working for your self.

Me i found work quite easily, mind u it does depend on what u do.

Good luck in work and keep ur chin up, things will work out, have faith. I did x

Kim
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all
Default Re: A mini update from Student visa people in Perth!

Originally Posted by Kingseat

Stick in there

We had a really tough start in the beginning ended up spending all our savings therefore no deposit for a house

Now 4 years later My Oh is doing great at work starting to build savings up again hopefully we will have our own home soon