British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Melbourne - two weeks into it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/melbourne-two-weeks-into-441076/)

onepearlyb Apr 10th 2007 12:00 pm

Melbourne - two weeks into it

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here for aaaagggggeeessssssss.
So much has happened since we go that visa! Before I go into it all - I don't recommend Emirates to fly with! They advertise one stop off in Dubai ( which we stopped of at for 2 nights - and which I also don't recomend as the entire place is a building site at present ) but they don't tell you, you also have to stop at Singapore. Result?? A weeks worth of severe jet lag! No fun, guys.

We're now in Melbourne and things are a bit tougher than we expected. We're in serviced apartments until next Monday - by which time we HAVE to find a place to rent. The ground floor apartment of the place was broken into lastnight which is pritty scary. With it being the easter hols, things have been tricky and today has been our first day of proper house hunting. The main things which have caused us headaches/arguments/hassle are......
1. finding places - you NEED a Melways map to find your way to ANYWHERE and give yourself a whole day to visit only about 4 places.
2. most of the estate agencies wont accept us as we have a small dog ( who's still in quarantine and wont be joining us for another 3 weeks )
3. you need proof of employment when you apply for a rental so your screwed if you come out here without something relatively concrete.
4. you also need references and various forms of ID for the rental application.
5. be prepared to be only one of many,many folks viewing the same property!

All in all it's been a stressfull week since arriving. Hubbie hasn't managed to get a job despite going with about 5 recruitment agencies and the promise before we left that EVERYONE was interested in employing him.
Our dosh is dissapearing quickly. Make sure you bring a good lump sum of $'s with you to get yourself set up. Our bank cards still haven't arrived so we're living off what we brought with us until they get to us.
Also, you need a tax file number in order to get paid so although we applied for it last week, it can take up to 28 days apparently - so still waiting for that.

It's been a rocky start. Somehow I thought it'd be a bit easier seeing as I've stayed here before now. We've been busier than EVER since we arrived here and doing it all in 28 degree heat is pritty hard going. ( and this is Autumn weather folks ) Landing rental property here all depends on having employment to secure the deal and I guess having a dog just makes it all the more tricky. So - lessons learned and all that.
I'll post another update as things start to pick up, as I know they will.

Cheers,
*pearly*

M_and_J Apr 10th 2007 2:43 pm

Re: Melbourne - two weeks into it

Hi

Thanks for writing in during such a hectic time. Sorry to hear the journey was messed up too. We're booked to go in Sept with Singapore Airlines, stopping in Singapore for a week before heading on to Melbourne.

Your post has made us think about something we hadn't previously - the rental references. Thanks for the tip.

As for the tax file number, that is on our immediate to do list when we get there, but is it possible to apply for one from the UK now we have our visa?

Thanks again, and good luck. Keep us posted

M & J

Gems Apr 10th 2007 5:22 pm

Hello,

sorry things have been hectic to say the least. But Im sure they will improve.
Starting out in a new country is always hair raising! (we are not in the UK at the moment so already been through a move abroad).

M&J
Yes, Im sure Ive read that you can do the tax file online before you go. Sure I saw it on an old post on here. Thats what Im hoping to do.

Gems

Pootle Apr 10th 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 4622850)
M&J
Yes, Im sure Ive read that you can do the tax file online before you go. Sure I saw it on an old post on here. Thats what Im hoping to do.

Gems

You need to be in Australia with an Australian address to apply for a Tax File Number. You apply on line and it usually takes around 10 days to be sent to you.

Pearly - Welcome to Melbourne! Good luck with finding a rental, the early weeks are definitely the hardest. PM me if you need anything or fancy meeting up for a coffee/chat (when you've time!!)

Contact Lensed Optimist Apr 10th 2007 8:48 pm

Hello Pearly,

I am saddened to read about all the hassle you are going through right now. I will be in a similar situation with my family when we travel over to Brisbane in June (though no pets). I truly hope things sort themselves out for you very soon, emigrating is stressful enough without these sorts of issues. I like the photo gallery by the way, you look like a fun family. It is a shame you are not in Brissy.:thumbup:

Take care,

C.L.O. xx

Geelong Gent Apr 10th 2007 9:06 pm

Not sure on how you did not realise Singapore was enroute??? You possibly stayed at the wrong hotel in Dubai - with all the exposure on the construction we made an effort to avoid those hotels and stayed 2 mins from the airport and slept very well. Our 2 year old adjusted with no jet lag. Perhaps if you had checked the flights and realised you were stopping in Singapore you could have had a further night stop over - that would of refreshed you and made it an easier flight to melbourne ie 7 hours (Dubai) + 7 hours (Singapore) + 7 hours (Melbourne).

You don't need employment to secure rental or purchase of car. The estate agents are fully aware of migrants arriving - especially as this generates a substantial amount of their turnover. Proof of ability to pay is required - as it is in the UK. Don't recall being able to obtain a rental in the UK without ID either.

Yes you should get a Melways (Map) in any new city or country. You could try going street by street but it would take you a number of years.

Have plenty of friends in inner suburbs with dogs (big and small) who live in rental (and not dodgy looking places either). What area are you looking - or is this dependent on where your OH finds employment? Being a landlord myself a pet is not a big deal - depending on property and individual tenants.

Agree with it can take up to 28 days for tax file number but this does not stop you getting paid or getting a job.

Not sure what occupation your OH is in but strongly suggest you are making contact with 4 agents per day. This will keep you busy and it takes a few days for the agents to log your details and let word get around you are in town. Don't turn down work to spite yourself - even a day in a role provides the necessary "local" experience.

Sorry if it sounds I am on your case - but it does sound alot like "lack of planning". However if there is anything I can do to help of course I will.

Mida Apr 10th 2007 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 4623606)
Not sure on how you did not realise Singapore was enroute??? You possibly stayed at the wrong hotel in Dubai - with all the exposure on the construction we made an effort to avoid those hotels and stayed 2 mins from the airport and slept very well. Our 2 year old adjusted with no jet lag. Perhaps if you had checked the flights and realised you were stopping in Singapore you could have had a further night stop over - that would of refreshed you and made it an easier flight to melbourne ie 7 hours (Dubai) + 7 hours (Singapore) + 7 hours (Melbourne).

You don't need employment to secure rental or purchase of car. The estate agents are fully aware of migrants arriving - especially as this generates a substantial amount of their turnover. Proof of ability to pay is required - as it is in the UK. Don't recall being able to obtain a rental in the UK without ID either.

Yes you should get a Melways (Map) in any new city or country. You could try going street by street but it would take you a number of years.

Have plenty of friends in inner suburbs with dogs (big and small) who live in rental (and not dodgy looking places either). What area are you looking - or is this dependent on where your OH finds employment? Being a landlord myself a pet is not a big deal - depending on property and individual tenants.

Agree with it can take up to 28 days for tax file number but this does not stop you getting paid or getting a job.

Not sure what occupation your OH is in but strongly suggest you are making contact with 4 agents per day. This will keep you busy and it takes a few days for the agents to log your details and let word get around you are in town. Don't turn down work to spite yourself - even a day in a role provides the necessary "local" experience.

Sorry if it sounds I am on your case - but it does sound alot like "lack of planning". However if there is anything I can do to help of course I will.

Just wondering if you could tell me if there are lot of fully furnished properties for rent. We are heading out to Melbourne and will probably be looking for property in the Mornington area. I have had a look at properties on the web sites but they seem to be mainly unfurnished and we are too old to be kipping on air beds for twelve weeks.

Geelong Gent Apr 10th 2007 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mida (Post 4623663)
Just wondering if you could tell me if there are lot of fully furnished properties for rent. We are heading out to Melbourne and will probably be looking for property in the Mornington area. I have had a look at properties on the web sites but they seem to be mainly unfurnished and we are too old to be kipping on air beds for twelve weeks.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

Hi Mida

Come and visit Brit Vics - alot have settled in Mornington and will have more info for you. There are a few properties through expats available for rent.

onepearlyb Apr 10th 2007 11:29 pm

"Sorry if it sounds I am on your case - but it does sound alot like "lack of planning". However if there is anything I can do to help of course I will." [/QUOTE]

"Lack of planning?????" This being the THIRD time I've been here as well as the year it's taken before arriving I can definately tell you there's no lack of planning.

I feel it's down to issues with finding rentals when you have a dog ( yes, MANY properties wont accept dogs - I know, I'm looking EVERY day ) and not having secure employment ( every application form specifically asks you for your employment details and your salary ) Should any landlord look at our forms he'd see that neither of us have definate jobs yet - now what would YOU think if that was you reading MY form,eh??

To combat these problems I've been offering increased weekly rent and/or 6 months rent in advance. The problem is - there isn't just myself and the hubster who are viewing the properties so we're one of many, and it's the owner who gets to vert who gets the property based on the application form. ( estate agent told us this yesterday )

I agree - you don't need your tax file number INITIALLY to get paid, but for anyone else new to this - you'll get taxed at a higher rate initially until you get your proper number. The online application which we did at the tax office specifically states it can take up to 28days to receive it. So, we wait.

My hubbie is in contact with about 5 agencies just now. All of them were SO interested in him before we came over. It's not good watching him look so flat when they havene't followed him up now that he's here - despite him phoning them everyday!

With regards to the flights over to here - Emirates don't advertise the Singapore stop-over whatsoever, only the Dubai one. ALSO - they give you an extra 8kg each baggage allowance on top of the 20kg advertised in Economy. The extra allowance is not advertised until you get to check in.
We spent 200 pounds on posting stuff on ahead of us as we weren't aware of this! We stayed at an Ibis hotel in Dubai which was ok but not great. There weren't any of the building sites around us but what took the p*ss was when we did a tour and the whole afternoon of it was a tour around the construction sites, trying to sell us any one of a bazillion apartments being built!!!!!!! You think I'm joking??

I wont apologise for this rant because I hate it when you get replies which are written to expect a reaction.

I more than most know how things work here having been here before, I'm not looking to get slated by posting on here.
I am only stating how it's been since arriving and what issues arise - no matter how much planning you've done.

*pearly*

Geelong Gent Apr 11th 2007 12:09 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb (Post 4623987)
every application form specifically asks you for your employment details and your salary ) Should any landlord look at our forms he'd see that neither of us have definate jobs yet - now what would YOU think if that was you reading MY form,eh??

To combat these problems I've been offering increased weekly rent and/or 6 months rent in advance. The problem is - there isn't just myself and the hubster who are viewing the properties so we're one of many, and it's the owner who gets to vert who gets the property based on the application form. ( estate agent told us this yesterday )

I wont apologise for this rant because I hate it when you get replies which are written to expect a reaction.

I more than most know how things work here having been here before,

I'm not looking to get slated by posting on here.

I am only stating how it's been since arriving and what issues arise - no matter how much planning you've done.

*pearly*

Cover letter with application - and yes landlords do choose people with no employment. They did for us on our arrival and the tenants we put in too our rental - they had sufficient additional details to make us feel comfortable.

Not trying to slant or get a reaction. Just trying to be informative as your posting appears more of a sob story rather than reality. But now considering you have already been out here and still haven't learnt???? Good luck to you and OH.

Teliko21 Apr 11th 2007 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 4624129)
Cover letter with application - and yes landlords do choose people with no employment. They did for us on our arrival and the tenants we put in too our rental - they had sufficient additional details to make us feel comfortable.

Not trying to slant or get a reaction. Just trying to be informative as your posting appears more of a sob story rather than reality. But now considering you have already been out here and still haven't learnt???? Good luck to you and OH.

Yep, we were chosen as students over alot of people and we had a dog and a cat so the other people must have been terrible :D

Pearly, sorry you are having a hard time, give me a shout if you fancy a meet up for a drink or a rant, I'm more than happy to oblige :D

onepearlyb Apr 11th 2007 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 4624129)

Sob story?????????????????????????????????

Over and out with this posting before it gets nasty I think. Not even going to reply to what you've written.
Good luck to all others on the rocky road that is otherwise known as starting out in Oz. Just be careful that you don't post your initial experiences or "sob stories" on here incase someone heckles you about it!
Moderators please feel free to close this posting. Thanks.

*pearly*

Donna&Neil Apr 11th 2007 7:08 am

Hi pearly, I'm reading your post with interest as we are just about to embark on the same excited, but nervous adventure. I read these posts as I find them informative and interesting to hear other folks views/opinions on how things were for them.
Sorry your first few weeks have been difficult, but hang in there. Having read your earlier posts and know what a journey this has been for you and yours, this is a minor hic up. All the best.

Donna

Buzzy--Bee Apr 11th 2007 10:29 am

Closed at OPs request.

Mod.

Pollyana Apr 11th 2007 11:03 am

Some posters may need to remind themselves that just because their own migration experience has gone smoothly with things falling nicely into place, not everyone is that fortunate. I'm sure we have all found that there are certain things we couldn't/didn't prepare for.
Everyone's experience is unique, and everyone reacts to migration in their own way. Please respect the experiences of others, and do not denigrate them just because they have not been as lucky as some other posters.

There are plenty of "yes, we're here, its fantastic" threads in the Update forum - it adds a touch of reality to read one from someone who is struggling.

Pearly needs the support of the rest of us, not caustic put-downs, and accusations of posting sob stories. She is simply telling it as she has found it.

Personally, I wish her and her family loads of luck, and hope that things improve. :)