Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz!'

I cant believe it's been a year already. time seems to fly here!
Glad it's turned out to be all you hoped and more, here's to the next year...... and the ones after that
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:13 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
[B]One last thought to leave you with which has been playing on my mind a lot lately. Moving to Australia was always my dream. I have achieved my dream! What now?
You create a new dream and one that is achievable and can be combined with your new life in Australia.

Excellent update.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Well done Mandy, you have inspired me to do an update, shyed away from here a bit, but will explain why in the update.

You can never reach the end of the rainbow as always more to strive for
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

webb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nicewebb50 is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz!'

Originally Posted by brendan d
Hi folks, hope things are well. We have eventually got here too. Landed in Bunbury 5 weeks ago and so far everything is going well. We have 4 kids from 13 - 17 and they seem to be settling well. Maybe catch up sometime and put a face to all those discussions

Brendan
I've not been on here for a while, so welcome Brendan and family to Bunbury

Angie
x
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

mandy, that was a fab update.....really pleased things have and are going so well for you

lisa
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

:curse: Ok as this is my thread I reckon Im ok to rant on it!
Mum has just left after what can only be described as the worse visit of my life. I so wanted her and my stepdad to enjoy where we were living and share in our excitement at all we have achieved. All that happened was weeks of stress and arguements culminating in my stepdad leaving last week. mum has now gone to perth to spend remaining 8 days up in perth with him and my prodigal brother.
Guess it all goes to show that just cos we are the opposite side of the world doesnt meant that old relationships change. Our relationship is now the worst it has ever been and i dont expect that will change in the future.
I know so many people that would give their right arm for time with their parents but cant.
Its all turned to shit and now i have to try rebuild my little piece of calm and tranquility that we worked so hard to build.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:41 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

My mum's first visit (the second was better!) and my in-laws visit were both really awful - lots of arguments etc - I think in the UK you don't spend so long with each other so can avoid issues but under the same roof for long it all comes out. At least I'm no longer feeling any guilt at having left family behind!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
My mum's first visit (the second was better!) and my in-laws visit were both really awful - lots of arguments etc - I think in the UK you don't spend so long with each other so can avoid issues but under the same roof for long it all comes out. At least I'm no longer feeling any guilt at having left family behind!
exactly ... is it any wonder i moved to the other side of the bloody world with such a dysfunctional family
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Mum has just left after what can only be described as the worse visit of my life. I so wanted her and my stepdad to enjoy where we were living and share in our excitement at all we have achieved. All that happened was weeks of stress and arguements culminating in my stepdad leaving last week. mum has now gone to perth to spend remaining 8 days up in perth with him and my prodigal brother.
Guess it all goes to show that just cos we are the opposite side of the world doesnt meant that old relationships change. Our relationship is now the worst it has ever been and i dont expect that will change in the future.
I know so many people that would give their right arm for time with their parents but cant.
Its all turned to shit and now i have to try rebuild my little piece of calm and tranquility that we worked so hard to build.
Daunted

So sorry that the visit did not go well, as you seemed to be so looking forward to it. For some reason many people just can't be happy for you or try to see what makes you happy. Unfortunately some of those are parents. After all you have been through and all you have left behind and all you have achieved you will get over this as well. We are all happy for you and the people that really matter will always be there. Unfortunately you can't choose family but you can move away from them.

Take care and bounce back quickly.
Nicky
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

My Mum came out in October and after 2 weeks it all went wrong, it's hard having people living with you. I returned to the UK with her just for 2 weeks and stayed at her house remembering not to get in her way and it was her house... BIG mistake, had a row ended up moving in with my in-laws for the last few days. I was so glad to come back to my less stressful life here in Oz. As much as I miss my family, my family are here with me (well except for my eldest). It'll all work out in the end for you, try not to worry about it too much and remember how happy you've been this last year.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Mum has just left after what can only be described as the worse visit of my life.
My parents came out from South Africa a few years back - first time we'd seen them in 6 years. After a few weeks we went to France, and my youngest daughter got up to some mischief (of which we'll say no more)

My dad exploded at me, we had the worst row I've ever had with him, they were leaving the resort in our hire car at 2 in the morning, it was that bad. The drive back to Swindon was fun, as not a word was spoken. They then packed up and went to their sister's place in Scotland. They've never been back - and are unlikely to. We've been to see them in SA since, when my dad became seriously ill, but relations are a 'little strained', so I can sympathise with what you're going through.

Ultimately, we can't be responsible for how other people react and we just have to get on with it - doesn't make the pain of dealing with it any easier though.

Last edited by TakenThePlunge; Jan 6th 2009 at 10:21 am. Reason: Fixed the quote formatting
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys - i knew i could rely on you lot We will bounce back, I know we will just it makes me so :curse: ............anyone for wine??
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Thanks guys - i knew i could rely on you lot We will bounce back, I know we will just it makes me so :curse: ............anyone for wine??
I am still in the UK but moved from Scotland to be with my hubbie - I can assure you the first couple of times my mum came down to visit there were lots of arguments so I don't think it is exclusive to Oz! I promise you though it does get better or at least it did in my case and I have a brill time when she is here staying with us - not saying it is always plain sailing but it has never been as bad as the 1st couple of visits - not too sure if that is any help!??
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Faircity
I am still in the UK but moved from Scotland to be with my hubbie - I can assure you the first couple of times my mum came down to visit there were lots of arguments so I don't think it is exclusive to Oz! I promise you though it does get better or at least it did in my case and I have a brill time when she is here staying with us - not saying it is always plain sailing but it has never been as bad as the 1st couple of visits - not too sure if that is any help!??
Thanks. yes that does help
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

oh mandy, so sorry to read this
unfortunately we cant pick our families!!!
here if you fancy popping over for a whinge/rant whatever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.