Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:09 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz!'

Originally Posted by daunted
Thanks guys - i knew i could rely on you lot We will bounce back, I know we will just it makes me so :curse: ............anyone for wine??
Thats a girl. Liquorland IS the answer!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Thanks guys - i knew i could rely on you lot We will bounce back, I know we will just it makes me so :curse: ............anyone for wine??
Good on ya girl, glad to see the glass of vino is still helping!!!! Hope you are okay now hun. We haven't even got there yet and it certainly does NOT seem like a year ago since the Limo didn't turn up

Soooooooo not funny at the time I know but looking back and looking at how far you have come in the last 12 months is soooooo fantastic babe, not to mention all the support you ahve given everybody on here, there are a hell of a lot of us who have a lot to thank you for. Keep that Vino flowing it's cheaper over there so you can have a few extra glasses!!

take care
Vic's

And just for the record it was 5 degrees here when i was coming home from work earlier, it's chuffin freezing now!!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

HAPPY 2009!

Oops ………… it’s already the beginning of February and I haven’t wished you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Not like me to be late with the updates hey? LOL

Well I trust you all had a great time and 2009 is being good to you so far, although if you listen to the news its hard to imagine how anyone could possibly be having a good time in ‘today’s economic climate’ Nothing like a recession to piss everyone off just after Christmas is there? More on that later!

Mum and Martin were our final visitors of 2008, arriving at the beginning of December and being in Australia for just over a month. They got to spend Christmas Day on the beach, which I think was probably a first for them, before heading off to spend the remainder of their holiday in Perth. At least they now know where we are and can see how happy and settled we are, with great friends.
With the departure of our last guests for the foreseeable future the ‘spare bedroom’ has now been turned into an extra living area, somewhere to escape from the television and just sit quietly and talk or read. Guess I should christen it the reading room and sound really posh!

My beautiful little girl had her 16th birthday on 3rd January! Seems hard to imagine that she is that age already! She celebrated in true Ozzie style which a beach party during the day, down in Bunbury, before a family dinner that night. On Monday 5th I took her into Bunbury so she could go collect her Learners Permit! Now how scary is THAT! My little girl has not only grown up before my very eyes but she can now legally learn to drive! She now has as long as she needs to take a practical driving test; she then does a practical test after which she has to do 25hours supervised driving over a minimum of 6 months. Once she has completed the supervised driving log book she has a computerised hazard perception test. On passing the test she is licensed to drive solo on ‘P’ plates for the first 2 years after which she is out in the big wide world with the rest of us! P platers have certain restrictions covering alcohol (i.e. zero reading), curfew and number of passenger rules. Simon is taking Rachel out for some lessons in his automatic, the idea being to give her a chance to get used to all the basic road rules, positioning etc etc before taking her out in Spartacus, my manual. I did take her out a couple of weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised at how well she coped with the added complication of a clutch ALTHOUGH I do have to report that on one occasion my darling daughter, after lifting her foot off the accelerator a bit quicker than planned and lunging forward, used the F word!!!! My sweet little innocent girl swore in a fashion that Gordon Ramsey would be proud of! Under the circumstances I chose to laugh! (sorry Allan – I am a responsible parent honestly!)

12 months after their arrival I have FINALLY finished unpacking the last of the boxes that we had shipped over. Despite thinking I had packed frugally I still find it very amusing looking at some of the stuff I took the time to wrap so carefully only to be left un touched in a cardboard box in the workshop at the end of the garden! I would thoroughly recommend that anyone considering making the same move thinks long and hard about what they bring with them. To this day I still don’t understand why on earth I felt it so important to bring a wooden bread bin all this way! I guess at the time I must have thought it was an essential hey?
Summer has been a scorcher again this year but much easier to cope with now we have air conditioning. The mercury has passed the 40 degree mark on many occasions but we have always managed to keep our cool, if the air conditioning doesn’t appeal there is always the beach 10 minutes away. Hey! On the subject of the beach, or more to the point the Ocean – what is it with all the sharks this year! We have just been through a spell, lasting about a month, where there were shark sightings or actual shark attacks right along the WA coast line. NOW we all know that they are out there, but it really is a bit inconsiderate of them making their presence felt in quite such a violent way! Australind runs along the Leschenault Estuary and we tended to feel smug knowing that if there had been a shark sighting round the coast at least we were gonna be ok swimming in the estuary WELL it seems that even the estuary has been visited by Bull Sharks which have been spotted in recent weeks! I wondered why there didn't seem to be as many people out in the water!
With the onset of the hot weather attention turned to the possibility of installing a swimming pool in the garden! We have gone as far as to mark it all out in the garden, and get some estimates but to date that is as far as we have got. The jury is still out on the matter………..
We really seem to have drawn the lucky card on the Australian Weather front this year! Queensland is suffering torrential rains and flooding whilst the South of the Country has been hit by the most horrendous Bush Fires! To date over 60 people have lost their lives as the fires sweep through leaving nothing but ash in its trail. It’s hard to imagine the terror that these people are facing. Apart from the obvious worry of keeping your family safe, when or how do you decide when to stay and fight for your home, or just pack what you can into a car and leave town. How does anyone rebuild a life time of memories savaged by fire? In the grand scheme of things so long as your family is safe nothing else is that important but it really must be soul destroying to watch your home be taken from you. Communities will be changed forever. Countless people killed by the fires path. We travelled back along the Old Coast Road this afternoon and witnessed our first Bush Fire. In comparison to what is happening ‘over east’ it was minor, but was a reality check for me. This fire had spread quite some distance and was in the vicinity of friends’ houses, it had been bought under control by the Fire Services but none the less it bought home the reality of one of the dangers of living in such arid country! (see it’s not just the sharks that want to kill you!)
I now have a hat! Finally I can not only slip and slop but can also now Slap on a hat! Simon and I have been trying to come up with a winter alternative to the Summer Slip, Slop, Slap & Wrap slogan. Something along the lines of Slip on a Jumper, Slither into a sleeping bag, slurp on a hot toddy …… you know the thing…. Feel free to add your own, may be we can sell it to the Australian Government as part of their Winter health promotion.
Speaking of Health Promotions I believe we have had our full quota of health worries over the last few months. Many of you heard of my own little health scare a couple of months back, I hope you also all heard that everything is OK and nothing to worry about. It was one of those moments in life when you don’t really appreciate quite how worried you are about something until you are told that there is nothing to worry about and then it all hits you smack, bang in the face!
Looking in a Thesaurus Dictionary the words ‘swelling’ ‘lump’ and ‘growth’ all have the same meaning as the word ‘tumour’, but try telling someone they have a ‘swelling’ and then tell another person that they have a ‘tumour’ and notice the different reaction! Now when you are calm and thinking straight, or unaffected on a personal level it’s much easier to remember that these ‘tumours or swellings’ don’t necessarily have to be anything ‘nasty’, but in a day when everyone has either been affected themselves or knows someone who has been affected by Cancer it is very hard to hear the words that you ‘have a tumour’ with out shitting yourself! I have always been pretty good at playing Devils Advocate, but this one, despite the brave face had me flummoxed. A couple of weeks, and very scary scans later the news came back that they are confident it is benign and no need for further tests. BUT, and the purpose of that little ramble is that when I was contemplating that I may infact need medical treatment, for about ONE hour I contemplated having to go back to the UK before realising that in actual fact the UK was the last place I wanted to be. It made me realise quite how quickly we have all accepted this as our home and that what ever life throws at us, good or bad, we will cope with it together HERE. It did also throw up the little subject that we all like to avoid, making a Will. I have never made one because I always knew Allan would be there to take care of the kids, it’s a little more difficult now we are over here, SO I have pledged to stay alive for at least 2 more years cos then Rachel is old enough to be Marks Legal Guardian and they won’t have to go back to the UK  OK OK that’s all very tongue in cheek so please don’t anyone get upset about it! Remember – if you don’t have the answer to something crack a joke! (not sure whose line that is or maybe I just made it up!) and in the meantime if anyone who has Permanent Residency or Citizenship fancies inheriting my cherubs in the event of my untimely death, please put your applications on a postcard and send to my usual mailing address! (That was actually another joke before anyone starts looking up the Child Protection phone number)
Oh and whilst we are still on the subject of health! My darling son Mark has whilst playing Aussie Rules Football gone and broken his bloody hand!! Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggghhhh!! I swear between the 3 of us we have had more experience of the Australian Health System in the short time we been here than we ever did of the UK one! It’s a spiral fracture of the metacarpal (is that what it’s called?) but as it isn’t affecting his growth plate in the hand it isn’t in a cast but heavily bandaged. He has been told to do what he can so long as it doesn’t hurt. Mmmmmmmmmm wonder if there is any logical explanation to washing up hurting it but playing cricket not doing so?? LOL seriously he is actually in a fair bit of pain as I write but more than anything seriously concerned about not being able to handle the playstation controls properly! Not to mention playing his drum set he got for Christmas! Did I mention I got him a full set of drums for Christmas?? Blimey I really must update this site more frequently! Mark has a full set of drums, located in the workshop/games room at the end of the garden which he is actually very, very good on. The grumpy guy next door may beg to differ but we keep him sweet with big smiles and friendly chats whenever we see him 

We have just had our second Australia Day and whilst we have grown used to the sense of pride which totally overwhelmed us last year, it was still breathtaking to see the Australian flag flying from every second car and draped around the shoulders of teenage girls and boys, faces and bodies adorned in temporary tattoos of the Australian flag. I had to work 5 til 1.30 on ‘the day’ so Simon took Rachel and Mark down to the Estuary foreshore for the Australia Day Community Breakfast, run by Lions Club (Like the Rotary club in UK). There ended up being quite a pommie crowd down there and a good time was had by all. Simon and the kids had been very busy organising a picnic in my absence so once my working day was over it was quick shower, change and head down into Bunbury for the festivities to begin- swim in the Ocean before heading down to Bicentennial Square for the live music and fireworks to end of the evening. We have only had 2 to date but Australia Day is already my favourite day and I’m not even Australian (YET!)

Hey did I tell you my eldest ‘baby’ Scott has been accepted into the Police full time which means they are finally going to have to start paying him for all his good work!! Scott has always been a hard worker, an achiever and it seems he has done it once again! Whilst unpacking the final boxes the other day I found a couple of pieces of white paper, folded over in half, filled with writing off which maybe half was highlighted yellow. Intrigued I opened the paper up to see the name SCOTT STARKIE written in his best 8 (ish) year old handwriting, and the title PAPPA PANOV and the highlighted text were Scotts lines for the lead role as Pappa Panov! SEE! Even then Scott was a starring role, he remembered every single line and I know he is going to go on to be a star within the Police Force and what ever else life throws at him!
(I hope I didn't embarrass you too much Scott. Don’t worry, at least I didn't tell them that you spent the whole time on stage scratching your bum LOL)
Seriously – there isn’t a Mother on this planet who could be more proud of her Son! ‘Go get ‘em babe!’ xxx

Rachel and Mark are now both back at school and into their sports. Soccer and Netball trials start in a couple of weeks so we will once again be rising early and driving around the countryside for fixtures. Hopefully Rachel manages a season with no broken bones this year!
Rachel is still working hard at fish and chip shop and enjoying both the job and having her own money. I took her and a couple of her friends upto Kings Park in Perth last weekend to see Delta Goodrem in concert (Christmas present). As many of you will know Delta is engaged to Brian Macfadden so whilst they sported ‘I love Delta’ t shirts I stood calmly and patiently waiting for Brian to open the show! Don’t listen to Rachel – I DID behave myself, I could almost be his Mother after all! OH the girls were snapped by the promotional photographer and their pics are on line at www.mellenevents.com.au You will have to register (its free) and then follow the links to Delta Goodrems page – at the bottom of which you will find the photos!

OK, I’m getting a serious case of writers cramp and have promised not to switch this computer off until this update is finished so best finish up with the juciest piece of gossip (well at least for all my girlies friends back in UK)……………. Just who the F*@k is this bloody Simon guy I keep mentioning???? Well….. I am gonna try keep this brief as possible. To tell the WHOLE story would warrant an update all of its own

This was going to be the grand finale, the big long paragraph introducing you all to Simon but truth be known I don’t think he needs any big write ups, I think my feelings are evident in the way I write about him and I think those that know me best (you know who you are) know that just maybe I may have finally got it right!..............
Simon is my ‘other ‘arf’, my best friend and my soul mate! I made comments about coming to Australia to find the man of my dreams and I have found him. You will remember him being mentioned in previous updates and then references to ‘still being crap at relationships’, well actually I have come to the conclusion that I haven’t always been crap at relationships, it’s just been crap because it hasn’t been the right relationship, and how on earth could it have been when the right one has been at the opposite side of the world for the first 40 years of my life! It hasn’t been the smoothest of sailings between us, to be truthful it’s been a long hard, difficult period of time getting to where we are now but worth it and I know that Simon is going to play a major part in the rest of my life! (oh and he comes complete with his own set of handcuffs ;-)

That’s it! I’m done for another month or so. I will hand this over to Rachel and get some photos put up to go with it.

Lots of love to you all xxx
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

another good udate mandy.....i wish i was as dedicated to writing posts as you . keep them up they're great!!!!!!!!

dont know if you knew, probably not, but i'm only down the road from you now......we're currently living in vittoria heights, in company accommodation, my OH's working for worsley.
we moved here in january and loving it so far!!!!!!
dont know if your ears were burning last saturday but we we're invited out, and there was someone there that knew you, jackie!!!! small world hey!!!!!
you never know we'll probably cross paths at some point

take care
lisa
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear all your good news Mandy! VERY relieved that your health scare was just a scare and that your son's hand is on the mend. You need to change your name from Daunted to something more apt hun.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Congratulations from all fronts Mandy, such a good update as per usual. Really really pleased for you babe. So glad that everything is finally falling into place and perfection...... well not always perfect but a glass of vino always helps!!!!

Take care

Looking forward to your next update xx
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolylew
another good udate mandy.....i wish i was as dedicated to writing posts as you . keep them up they're great!!!!!!!!

dont know if you knew, probably not, but i'm only down the road from you now......we're currently living in vittoria heights, in company accommodation, my OH's working for worsley.
we moved here in january and loving it so far!!!!!!
dont know if your ears were burning last saturday but we we're invited out, and there was someone there that knew you, jackie!!!! small world hey!!!!!
you never know we'll probably cross paths at some point

take care
lisa
jackie seems to know everyone would be good to catch up sometime soon x
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

i know some of you have me on facebook but you cant mention this on there just yet!! (work colleagues on as friends LOL)

BU TODAY I GOT A BRILLIANT NEW JOB!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGGHHH I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!
Handing in notice tomorrow - dont th ink they will be too impressed
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

i know some of you have me on facebook but you cant mention this on there just yet!! (work colleagues on as friends LOL)

BU TODAY I GOT A BRILLIANT NEW JOB!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGGHHH I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!
well done you!!!!!! where is it? i will catch up with you one day, lol!!!!!!! think you work too hard, you need to take a break and do friday lunch
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

well done you!!!!!! where is it? i will catch up with you one day, lol!!!!!!! think you work too hard, you need to take a break and do friday lunch
Its at St John of God hospital - cant wait to start If everyone is doing lunch next Fri (good fri) i think i have the day off - they keen for me to go now i handed in my notice. I agree i work too hard but unfortunatley i dont have a choice being sole wage earner Nice to know you care though
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

WELL DONE AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW JOB
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks moonlight x
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its at St John of God hospital - cant wait to start If everyone is doing lunch next Fri (good fri) i think i have the day off - they keen for me to go now i handed in my notice. I agree i work too hard but unfortunatley i dont have a choice being sole wage earner Nice to know you care though
oooh, you can play with jackie, lol!!!!! well done
so can i talk about you now, lol!!!!! kept it quiet today at lunch just incase
not sure about lunch on friday next week? jackie tends to text me to let me know

lisa
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

oooh, you can play with jackie, lol!!!!! well done
so can i talk about you now, lol!!!!! kept it quiet today at lunch just incase
not sure about lunch on friday next week? jackie tends to text me to let me know

lisa
I will send a text out re lunch - would be typical that the first one i get off in months and no one will be goin
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Its my sons 21st birthday back in the UK today and I am feeling totally SHIT Life seems to be all work and no play now and for the forseable future. Sure not feeling like Wonder Woman this week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.