Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz!'

Thankyou all very much x
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly 12 months to the day that we took our citizenship pledge my lovely shiny Australian Passport has arrived
Attached Thumbnails 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'-passport.jpg  
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Exactly 12 months to the day that we took our citizenship pledge my lovely shiny Australian Passport has arrived
Congratulations

How long did your passport take to come through Mandy?

We hope to apply for ours as soon as we get our citizenship certificate, I havent even looked at the form - what ID documents do you need for it?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: 'A little less DAUNTED in Oz - The first five years!'

Thanks MP for changing the name of the thread

OK.............so next week we have been here FIVE YEARS!! Five amazing years filled with tears, fears, creepy crawlies (and just down right creeps!), fun and lots and lots of laughter!
I cannot possibly write it all again, pull up a chair and have a good read
In short Australia has been everything and more that I had ever hoped for. We have been very lucky in that none of us have suffered with homesickness, although both R and M are now planning/talking about heading back to the UK on holiday, though THANKFULLY both plan to come back to Australia to live There have been some very difficult times when the kids dad (my ex) has been to visit and then had to leave to go home again...that is probably the only time I have had real pangs of guilt for depriving the children of having their dad around full time.
This past year has been without the most mind blowingly busy, exciting year EVER...whether it was in UK or here in Australia. You will know (if you have been following the thread) that my eldest is now out here doing the job he loves so much. The job that the British Government decided could be 'culled' in budget cuts.........pathetic BUT their loss is Australias gain...and my son has been told that many a time. S and his partner J are settled very well. J after a very difficult 3 months on the job hunting front finally found got a job that she had applied for before they even left the UK! It's a rolling temporary contract for a government department but she is doing really well and loving it, having now been in a position to meet new people and make those all important friends. THE best news by far is that as of yesterday they are ENGAGED!!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:03 am
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats hunny!!! U have done soooo well over the past 5 years! I love reading your news......n really excited for you all about the engagement!!!

Many many congrats again!!

Ems xox
Thanks MP for changing the name of the thread

OK.............so next week we have been here FIVE YEARS!! Five amazing years filled with tears, fears, creepy crawlies (and just down right creeps!), fun and lots and lots of laughter!
I cannot possibly write it all again, pull up a chair and have a good read
In short Australia has been everything and more that I had ever hoped for. We have been very lucky in that none of us have suffered with homesickness, although both R and M are now planning/talking about heading back to the UK on holiday, though THANKFULLY both plan to come back to Australia to live There have been some very difficult times when the kids dad (my ex) has been to visit and then had to leave to go home again...that is probably the only time I have had real pangs of guilt for depriving the children of having their dad around full time.
This past year has been without the most mind blowingly busy, exciting year EVER...whether it was in UK or here in Australia. You will know (if you have been following the thread) that my eldest is now out here doing the job he loves so much. The job that the British Government decided could be 'culled' in budget cuts.........pathetic BUT their loss is Australias gain...and my son has been told that many a time. S and his partner J are settled very well. J after a very difficult 3 months on the job hunting front finally found got a job that she had applied for before they even left the UK! It's a rolling temporary contract for a government department but she is doing really well and loving it, having now been in a position to meet new people and make those all important friends. THE best news by far is that as of yesterday they are ENGAGED!!!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

R, my daughter has just finished her first year at University. She is studying Social work and is doing great. She has a small social circle of trust worthy friends after a difficult year or two around leaving school. R chooses not to drink (as in alcohol) and some of her friends can't seem to get their heads around that fact! Australia really does have a huge drinking culture, and its not beers it's spirits, and they drink them to excess! Cannabis is also an every day event in many peoples lives and it seems to be accepted within society that people smoke it!
M, my youngest has just graduated high school and is hoping for a career within the Police force...we are in the 'waiting stage' of the application process............boy it really is Wait Awhile sometimes! M, has probably found it hardest to settle, being away from his brother at such an important stage in his life, but he has come good and has a very promising future ahead of him. Seeing him with his brother now is fantastic. Never underestimate the effect that separating families will have on you.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Me? I'm good thanks. I love Australia and have never once considered moving back to the UK. Australia has changed me and it's not all for the good. I had to be tough to get here, find work and get the kids settled on my own and I did it....I don't think I would have the strength to do it all again! It has made me harder than I would perhaps like to be, and through having to work such long, crappy shifts, it has changed me from a once social butterfly into a bit of a hermit. I have met many wonderful people who have all helped me settle, and i know that if I was in need I could call on any one of them BUT they do not replace those friendships you leave behind that have taken many, many years to form! I haven't had much success on finding the man of my dreams...partly because I am that hard, independent hermit and part because of the heavy drinking/drug smoking culture that I really don't want to be involved with. The kids are getting older now and I am beginning to feel lonely so something is going to have to change soon.........send yr cute single male friends to WA
On the positive side I am finally moving out of the kitchen and having a huge change of career. Next month I will be joining WAPOL and I am very very excited about it. Nothing like a change hey?

Well I reckon that pretty much sums up what is happening in my little world..........hope yours is as rosey
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Me? I'm good thanks. I love Australia and have never once considered moving back to the UK. Australia has changed me and it's not all for the good. I had to be tough to get here, find work and get the kids settled on my own and I did it....I don't think I would have the strength to do it all again! It has made me harder than I would perhaps like to be, and through having to work such long, crappy shifts, it has changed me from a once social butterfly into a bit of a hermit. I have met many wonderful people who have all helped me settle, and i know that if I was in need I could call on any one of them BUT they do not replace those friendships you leave behind that have taken many, many years to form! I haven't had much success on finding the man of my dreams...partly because I am that hard, independent hermit and part because of the heavy drinking/drug smoking culture that I really don't want to be involved with. The kids are getting older now and I am beginning to feel lonely so something is going to have to change soon.........send yr cute single male friends to WA
On the positive side I am finally moving out of the kitchen and having a huge change of career. Next month I will be joining WAPOL and I am very very excited about it. Nothing like a change hey?

Well I reckon that pretty much sums up what is happening in my little world..........hope yours is as rosey

Congratulations To you all , I also loved reading your threads, I remember going through the process with you on here and Thank You for all the help and good advice you gave
We've been here 5 years in January, time has gone so fast!
My eldest daughter also came out to join us but has moved over to Sydney, I miss her but so glad she's living in Oz (we're going over for Xmas/New Year).
Good luck with your Career move, it will be a fantastic move, I also had a change of career after 30 years of hairdressing I work for one of the large Banks here now,
Long may your happiness continue.... You deserve it
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:42 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on everything. Hopefully your new male colleagues in WAPOL won't be major drug takers so you might find your man.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Congrats on everything. Hopefully your new male colleagues in WAPOL won't be major drug takers so you might find your man.

Thanks everyone and Sherlock..........I hope you are right
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

A great read and well done to you and your persistance that you are so happy......What struck a cord with me and you summed it up so well was

I have met many wonderful people who have all helped me settle, and i know that if I was in need I could call on any one of them BUT they do not replace those friendships you leave behind that have taken many, many years to form

Couldnt have put that better or tally that up with our near perfect 2 years here the long term best 5 friends simply fade away and are lost in a far off land and every now and then they are deeply missed......

Anyhow thought id comment as you were 3 years ahead of us and i liked your tails and ups n downs...Good for you

Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno what she wudda done without me

What's say Miss Daunted pants!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jazzys
Dunno what she wudda done without me

What's say Miss Daunted pants!
Jazzys you are without a doubt one of my best mates. You always have the nack of keeping me sane(??) and i loves ya ;-) xx