Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Life is sweet 5 months on.......PART 2!!

Life is sweet 5 months on.......PART 2!!

Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:46 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Cool Life is sweet 5 months on.......PART 2!!

Ok ok, calm down guys here it is....................... (thanks for ther great comments though!!!) xxxx

Melbourne on a budget Part Dues:

You see, we didn’t have the luxury of selling a house worth ½ a million bucks, neither were we the typical immigrant family of Mum, Dad and 2.4 children. I am a single, skint Mum with a 13 year old child, bare minimum savings, Hell-bent on making it work for us down under. The emotional support of some good friends has been all the help we’ve needed so far. And were living proof you don’t need any money to start a new life out here – just determination and a plan – the rest is already here and well within anyone’s reach!

Back to the story; over the next couple of days, we continued to mong about in a jet-lagged haze, walking up and down Toorak and Commercial Roads about 9 times (?WTF?), we went into the city a couple of times and I got to explore the VERY busy Alfred Hospital - quite anonymously, where I was to start working in 4 weeks time . At this point I began to worry a little; Id come from a brand new tightly run NHS Cardiac Centre, with starched uniforms and Matrons and everything, here at the Alfred it was old, tatty and manic, full of very ill and weird looking individuals, more worrying was the fact that I couldn’t decipher the doctors from nurse because everyone appeared to be wearing civvies – NO UNIFORMS???. I felt very apprehensive about starting work there and worried incessantly about it over the coming weeks. As for the other shocker – the level of Ozzie friendliness, it took quite a few days to get used to that and accept it as genuine! It really is noticeable when you first land, just how polite and happy everyone appears to be. Especially in shops and businesses, people are so very polite, apologetic, chatty and seem to want to bend over backwards in order to satisfy you. The first time we encountered this, was at the train station when we were struggling to work the ticket machine; an old man came up to us and said ‘Are you Ok? Would you like me to do that for you?’ Instantly, I was on the defensive - 'No it’s OK, thank you’, (thinking - back off Old Man, leave us alone you Perv!!!!) in true UK style! Only when you realise just about everyone you meet acts in this same, genuinely helpful manner, do you realise its the 'Ozzy Way'. Its so great for morale!!!!

So, 4 days in the Toorak Manor was all we had allowed ourselves as a treat and as we had just about recovered from jetlag by then, it was time to move on.

Previously, back in the UK I made a cyber friend via a dating site, who had been kept informed of our whole expedition from planning stages to landing and he offered to look after our Sofa-Suitcases whilst we moved on to stay in the worlds smallest twin room at the Melbourne Oasis Youth Hostel in North Melbourne for a fortnight. After delivering the suitacses that night, I began to worry and had many cold sweats and visions of him possibly prancing around in my knickers - thinking he may have gained access to my silkies by smashing the hell out of my ‘Matalan Special’ suitcase locks! But then I thought, what the hell – they’d wash and at least we had more room to swing our backpacks!

We settled in quite nicely to our new, basic shelter and were quite comfortable (by adult standards), but again, I was worried I was making Chloe ‘rough it’ too much - just to save some cash by staying in a youth hostel and eating frugally, but the place turned out to be so nice and so well run, we didn’t go with out any creature comforts those two weeks, we made some good friends and were very content; it was also a good lesson for Chloe in social, eco and financial awareness! Travelling into the city was a bit tiresome though from the North of the city everyday and getting out looking at property and schools in the South was a real bind with all the travelling. If I was to do it all over again, I would have booked accommodation somewhere around St Kilda.

School was the first major hurdle to get sorted - then to secure some permanent accommodation. I had been researching suitable secondary colleges/high schools for the last three years and had a shortlist of around 19. I knew I hadn’t the time to consider all of them, so we just went to visit the top (in terms of statistics) in each chosen burb. Glen Waverley was top of my list, so we made our way by train, tram and foot for a meeting with the assistant principle. Whilst sitting in the foyer, it became very apparent that this school was just toooo big (1800 pupils and 75 different nationalities) it was too overwhelming for Chloe.After many, many miles on foot and schools later, we went down to the Bayside area, near the beaches that I had promised her we would one day live.............

Tune in next week for another exciting episode!!!!

Hapy New Year Y'all!

Off to catch up with 'Daunted' over in Perth next week for a 'Sorted-Single-Mum' session at hers!!!! Hi Mand!!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life is sweet 5 months on.......PART 2!!

You're a star!!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Wonderful update, can't wait for the next one
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

do we have to wait till next week fab post and chloe must be so proud to have such a great mum
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great post again! But do you have to keep us hanging again?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great part two!! About time.

Don't forget part 3!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:16 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

wicked, I look forward to the next part
bec
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Antar is just really niceAntar is just really niceAntar is just really niceAntar is just really niceAntar is just really niceAntar is just really niceAntar is just really niceAntar is just really nice

Keep them coming, have I missed 'Life is Sweet 4 Months on...............Part 2' I did search. It's so nice reading how you are getting on
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:14 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Antar
Keep them coming, have I missed 'Life is Sweet 4 Months on...............Part 2' I did search. It's so nice reading how you are getting on
No, there was no 4 month one! Im just trying to catch up to date!!!!!

Thanks again everyone for the comments! Makes it worthwhile. x
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:14 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej
Ok ok, calm down guys here it is....................... (thanks for ther great comments though!!!) xxxx

You see, we didn’t have the luxury of selling a house worth ½ a million bucks, neither were we the typical immigrant family of Mum, Dad and 2.4 children. I am a single, skint Mum with a 13 year old child, bare minimum savings, Hell-bent on making it work for us down under. The emotional support of some good friends has been all the help we’ve needed so far. And were living proof you don’t need any money to start a new life out here – just determination and a plan – the rest is already here and well within anyone’s reach!

Back to the story; over the next couple of days, we continued to mong about in a jet-lagged haze, walking up and down Toorak and Commercial Roads about 9 times (?WTF?), we went into the city a couple of times and I got to explore the VERY busy Alfred Hospital - quite anonymously, where I was to start working in 4 weeks time . At this point I began to worry a little; Id come from a brand new tightly run NHS Cardiac Centre, with starched uniforms and Matrons and everything, here at the Alfred it was old, tatty and manic, full of very ill and weird looking individuals, more worrying was the fact that I couldn’t decipher the doctors from nurse because everyone appeared to be wearing civvies – NO UNIFORMS???. I felt very apprehensive about starting work there and worried incessantly about it over the coming weeks. As for the other shocker – the level of Ozzie friendliness, it took quite a few days to get used to that and accept it as genuine! It really is noticeable when you first land, just how polite and happy everyone appears to be. Especially in shops and businesses, people are so very polite, apologetic, chatty and seem to want to bend over backwards in order to satisfy you. The first time we encountered this, was at the train station when we were struggling to work the ticket machine; an old man came up to us and said ‘Are you Ok? Would you like me to do that for you?’ Instantly, I was on the defensive - 'No it’s OK, thank you’, (thinking - back off Old Man, leave us alone you Perv!!!!) in true UK style! Only when you realise just about everyone you meet acts in this same, genuinely helpful manner, do you realise its the 'Ozzy Way'. Its so great for morale!!!!

So, 4 days in the Toorak Manor was all we had allowed ourselves as a treat and as we had just about recovered from jetlag by then, it was time to move on.

Previously, back in the UK I made a cyber friend via a dating site, who had been kept informed of our whole expedition from planning stages to landing and he offered to look after our Sofa-Suitcases whilst we moved on to stay in the worlds smallest twin room at the Melbourne Oasis Youth Hostel in North Melbourne for a fortnight. After delivering the suitacses that night, I began to worry and had many cold sweats and visions of him possibly prancing around in my knickers - thinking he may have gained access to my silkies by smashing the hell out of my ‘Matalan Special’ suitcase locks! But then I thought, what the hell – they’d wash and at least we had more room to swing our backpacks!

We settled in quite nicely to our new, basic shelter and were quite comfortable (by adult standards), but again, I was worried I was making Chloe ‘rough it’ too much - just to save some cash by staying in a youth hostel and eating frugally, but the place turned out to be so nice and so well run, we didn’t go with out any creature comforts those two weeks, we made some good friends and were very content; it was also a good lesson for Chloe in social, eco and financial awareness! Travelling into the city was a bit tiresome though from the North of the city everyday and getting out looking at property and schools in the South was a real bind with all the travelling. If I was to do it all over again, I would have booked accommodation somewhere around St Kilda.

School was the first major hurdle to get sorted - then to secure some permanent accommodation. I had been researching suitable secondary colleges/high schools for the last three years and had a shortlist of around 19. I knew I hadn’t the time to consider all of them, so we just went to visit the top (in terms of statistics) in each chosen burb. Glen Waverley was top of my list, so we made our way by train, tram and foot for a meeting with the assistant principle. Whilst sitting in the foyer, it became very apparent that this school was just toooo big (1800 pupils and 75 different nationalities) it was too overwhelming for Chloe.After many, many miles on foot and schools later, we went down to the Bayside area, near the beaches that I had promised her we would one day live.............

Hapy New Year Y'all!

Off to catch up with 'Daunted' over in Perth next week for a 'Sorted-Single-Mum' session at hers!!!! Hi Mand!!
You are a bloody inspiration you are, you have proved with hard work ,determination and guts you can suceed, i really really from the bottom of my heart wish you and your daughter all the luck in the world coz ya know what..you bloody deserve it gal.

Mods...Sorry for the bloodys...i was just so moved by the post
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

therhodes is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent post and glad it's going so well or you
Is part 3 coming along soon? can't wait to see how things are coming along for you
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianej

Hapy New Year Y'all!

cant believe i missed this thread!!! Hi you two! It was fun hey shame it wasnt for longer. Ill be over to yours soon as
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:03 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

You go girl!!!!

It's incredible that the people with the most moan and expect everything, and those with the least just get up and get on with it!!

Keep it coming, and have a great time with daunted.....will you be in her Chill Out Tent!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

OZ2GO is on a distinguished road

That was absolutely fantastic. Laughing outloud but with great admiration for your strength, humour and frontier spirit. All the very best to you both and look forward to tuning in to the next episode. Good on ya, Sue xx
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
You go girl!!!!

It's incredible that the people with the most moan and expect everything, and those with the least just get up and get on with it!!

Keep it coming, and have a great time with daunted.....will you be in her Chill Out Tent!
Streuth mate! I forgot all about the chill out tent!! I reckon its about time it got re- born, if only i could remember where i pitched it!