British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Life so far in mellie (4 months) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/life-so-far-mellie-4-months-474985/)

Margaret3 Aug 18th 2007 9:51 am

Life so far in mellie (4 months)

About us.

Its me Mrgaret (43), Hugh (43), our kids, Emily (15), and Lorna (8)

Well i would say approx 2 years ago we decided let just bloody go for it, we went through all the usual arguments at this stage, life is too short!! we are not getting any younger, lets give the kids new experinces, am sure you all know the script.............

We knew we would be emigrating with limited funds, we done our research , we saw the house prices, the cost of living, the price of bananas and school unifroms , but on we went, we sold our small house...........which i loved, i knew i would miss it , i knew i would miss my neighbours, but we didn't have the luxury of keeping it we needed the dosh
When I closed the door to my house for the last time it was one of the saddest moments of my life, we had stayed their for 13 years, it felt like someone had snatched it all away, i know its silly but its the way i felt, i cried and someimes still do over it (crying writing it actually)

Furniture and possesions

this was a strange thing for me , we didnt have a big house or lots of posessions so it wasn't worth shipping, but it got to the stage i just coudn't bear to throw or give anything else away, so its stilled stored in scotland, at a bargain price of 50 quid per month at killie removals, we had sold our white good with the house

Why emigrate???

Why indeed?? does anyone know why they do, we knew we might not be better off, I knew i would neve be posting 'our house build', or 'how much to buld a swimming pool', so why, ..........well apart from our midlife crisis .............we were rotting away, we were doing the same things day in day out...

So off we went and bloody done it and right now am going to bed and will continue my diary

Strange times indeed

The feelings emotions I have had since arriving have been ........well........not good Support comes from the strangest of places , from people i had never met, who have given me help and support and became my friends, people on here i have still to meet Once i was in the salvos and the old lady behind the counter was scottish , she asked me how i had settled in, i started to cry, after several cups of tea, i finally left, think she thought she was going to have to adopt me Willj for driving over with a mattress) (I had never met her before )when we had nothing to sleep on.
Also my bros, and my sister, i expected my bros to hit the roof when we told him we were emigrating, but he has been a star, and is still helping us with loose ends in scotland, my sister whom is in the usa (has been for over 20 years), and will support me know matter what, and best thing is she is going to try to visit at xmas

However i have been saddened even angered by people i knew before arrival, i wasn't looking to live in their pockets, i would have been happy with the odd phone call even a txt, did it happen ehhhhhhhhh no, they met me once, perhaps twice then silence One couple in particular i have known for years and years, i think its a case of 'am all right jack', i know am a bit of a hot head , but when things are 'not alright jack', then they will find my door firmly closed

As some of you know i went through endless torment with my teen , she came validated her visa and then returned to scotland, then she came back, i was really uptight over this period also work was not going well, and hubby not working. One night we went to an expats house , me , the kids, and Jane, my good friend whom i met at the campsite where we first stayed. On leaving teen and i had an argument, and i thought 'I cant take it anymore', and ran away, literally ran away, leaving my kids with Jane the frightening thing was i only came back because i knew i had to, i actually didn't want to, but again with the help and support of my good friends Jane and Sharon (Shazmac), I think i am a bit saner again, during these times you find out who will be your real friends.

Work
Hated it from the minute i walked in, this was and still is when i feel the most homesick, as i lived in a small town and worked in the hosp for years and years, i knew most people there, some of them my friends and neighbours, some my childrens friends parents. I have had to work longer hours and work harder than i have ever done in my life, i knew i had to keep going, we needed the money, but again things are getting better, i am still there (but only coz i have a lovely boss, who again has supported me when i was down). I have now joined a nursing agency and will eventually leave the hosp i am in, the agency if great and professional, plus the money is great, and it is already opening up doors for me, they have offered to pay towards a teaching course for me at tafe, so i am really excited about that.

Relationship with hubster
It has been frought to say the least, money worries, me being mental and worrying myself sick about teen, him not working me feeling bitter coz i had to , the agreement was he didn't work until the kids were settled, but i felt he wasnt even looking or makin an effort to find out what was out there, but he is now working , he went for an interview last monday and they told him to start on tuesday (he's a printer), the money is rubbish, but as people who are here know you gotta start somewhere. More importantly he is enjoying it and says the guys he's working with are brand new, they were getting him to show them kilmarnock on goole earth. Gotta mention here also , my husband phoned his old boss last night and he still hasn't found anyone to replace him his actuall words were 'anyone i have interviewed wants megabucks when i explain what you did at work', we dont feel angry about this george is a fab guy and we know for a fact he paid hugh what he could afford, otherwise it would be another business folding in scotland. Once is wife won some money and gave me £300 of it to buy myself some clothes they are a lovely, genuine couple.

My children
Well Lorna (8), settled down no problem, school going well and she is happy.
Teenager also doing well, she has put her best foot forward, I am so proud of her, she saw how upset i was and how guilty i felt, she also missed us like mad when she returned to scotland to sit exams and spent 9 weeks without us. School is going well for her, and she is turning into a big aussie footy fan, was at a game today with some mates from school which is great as she has only been at school since around july 16th, she even threatening to start playing herself . Her sport is gymnastics and she eventually joined a club here, but we are having trouble getting her there due to the hrs we work, but we'll work something out. She even admitted last night she can see the attraction of melbourne and that its booming compared to poor ole scotland

Melbourne
Love it more each day, and i think this will continue its fabulous, so much to do, so much still to find out about it and the opportunities out there for us and our children, you just gotta keep looking

Think thats about it from me so far, but things are difficult to begin with ,still are, i expected this and people on here and be had told us this, you gotta be prepared for at least six months of hell i think, and then its up and up

Jaycee1 Aug 18th 2007 5:05 pm

Re: Life so far in mellie (4 months)

Hi Margaret,
I have read your highs and lows, the teen trouble and the leaving. It is just sooooo great to read your arrival:D
I am genuinely pleased that as a family you have got to where you want to be. Fantastic!!!!!:thumbsup:
J x

travelbug Aug 18th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 5205487)
About us.

Its me Mrgaret (43), Hugh (43), our kids, Emily (15), and Lorna (8)

Well i would say approx 2 years ago we decided let just bloody go for it, we went through all the usual arguments at this stage, life is too short!! we are not getting any younger, lets give the kids new experinces, am sure you all know the script.............

We knew we would be emigrating with limited funds, we done our research , we saw the house prices, the cost of living, the price of bananas and school unifroms , but on we went, we sold our small house...........which i loved, i knew i would miss it , i knew i would miss my neighbours, but we didn't have the luxury of keeping it we needed the dosh
When I closed the door to my house for the last time it was one of the saddest moments of my life, we had stayed their for 13 years, it felt like someone had snatched it all away, i know its silly but its the way i felt, i cried and someimes still do over it (crying writing it actually)

Furniture and possesions

this was a strange thing for me , we didnt have a big house or lots of posessions so it wasn't worth shipping, but it got to the stage i just coudn't bear to throw or give anything else away, so its stilled stored in scotland, at a bargain price of 50 quid per month at killie removals, we had sold our white good with the house

Why emigrate???

Why indeed?? does anyone know why they do, we knew we might not be better off, I knew i would neve be posting 'our house build', or 'how much to buld a swimming pool', so why, ..........well apart from our midlife crisis .............we were rotting away, we were doing the same things day in day out...

So off we went and bloody done it and right now am going to bed and will continue my diary

Strange times indeed

The feelings emotions I have had since arriving have been ........well........not good Support comes from the strangest of places , from people i had never met, who have given me help and support and became my friends, people on here i have still to meet Once i was in the salvos and the old lady behind the counter was scottish , she asked me how i had settled in, i started to cry, after several cups of tea, i finally left, think she thought she was going to have to adopt me Willj for driving over with a mattress) (I had never met her before )when we had nothing to sleep on.
Also my bros, and my sister, i expected my bros to hit the roof when we told him we were emigrating, but he has been a star, and is still helping us with loose ends in scotland, my sister whom is in the usa (has been for over 20 years), and will support me know matter what, and best thing is she is going to try to visit at xmas

However i have been saddened even angered by people i knew before arrival, i wasn't looking to live in their pockets, i would have been happy with the odd phone call even a txt, did it happen ehhhhhhhhh no, they met me once, perhaps twice then silence One couple in particular i have known for years and years, i think its a case of 'am all right jack', i know am a bit of a hot head , but when things are 'not alright jack', then they will find my door firmly closed

As some of you know i went through endless torment with my teen , she came validated her visa and then returned to scotland, then she came back, i was really uptight over this period also work was not going well, and hubby not working. One night we went to an expats house , me , the kids, and Jane, my good friend whom i met at the campsite where we first stayed. On leaving teen and i had an argument, and i thought 'I cant take it anymore', and ran away, literally ran away, leaving my kids with Jane the frightening thing was i only came back because i knew i had to, i actually didn't want to, but again with the help and support of my good friends Jane and Sharon (Shazmac), I think i am a bit saner again, during these times you find out who will be your real friends.

Work
Hated it from the minute i walked in, this was and still is when i feel the most homesick, as i lived in a small town and worked in the hosp for years and years, i knew most people there, some of them my friends and neighbours, some my childrens friends parents. I have had to work longer hours and work harder than i have ever done in my life, i knew i had to keep going, we needed the money, but again things are getting better, i am still there (but only coz i have a lovely boss, who again has supported me when i was down). I have now joined a nursing agency and will eventually leave the hosp i am in, the agency if great and professional, plus the money is great, and it is already opening up doors for me, they have offered to pay towards a teaching course for me at tafe, so i am really excited about that.

Relationship with hubster
It has been frought to say the least, money worries, me being mental and worrying myself sick about teen, him not working me feeling bitter coz i had to , the agreement was he didn't work until the kids were settled, but i felt he wasnt even looking or makin an effort to find out what was out there, but he is now working , he went for an interview last monday and they told him to start on tuesday (he's a printer), the money is rubbish, but as people who are here know you gotta start somewhere. More importantly he is enjoying it and says the guys he's working with are brand new, they were getting him to show them kilmarnock on goole earth. Gotta mention here also , my husband phoned his old boss last night and he still hasn't found anyone to replace him his actuall words were 'anyone i have interviewed wants megabucks when i explain what you did at work', we dont feel angry about this george is a fab guy and we know for a fact he paid hugh what he could afford, otherwise it would be another business folding in scotland. Once is wife won some money and gave me £300 of it to buy myself some clothes they are a lovely, genuine couple.

My children
Well Lorna (8), settled down no problem, school going well and she is happy.
Teenager also doing well, she has put her best foot forward, I am so proud of her, she saw how upset i was and how guilty i felt, she also missed us like mad when she returned to scotland to sit exams and spent 9 weeks without us. School is going well for her, and she is turning into a big aussie footy fan, was at a game today with some mates from school which is great as she has only been at school since around july 16th, she even threatening to start playing herself . Her sport is gymnastics and she eventually joined a club here, but we are having trouble getting her there due to the hrs we work, but we'll work something out. She even admitted last night she can see the attraction of melbourne and that its booming compared to poor ole scotland

Melbourne
Love it more each day, and i think this will continue its fabulous, so much to do, so much still to find out about it and the opportunities out there for us and our children, you just gotta keep looking

Think thats about it from me so far, but things are difficult to begin with ,still are, i expected this and people on here and be had told us this, you gotta be prepared for at least six months of hell i think, and then its up and up

Great post. I wish you and your family all the best for the future! I hope you continue to love Melbourne...

brissydeb Aug 18th 2007 11:17 pm

Good to read your update Margaret, hope you and your family continue to enjoy Australia! You are missing nothing back in Scotland, tis the worst summer I can remember (infact where is the summer!!). It is August and we have had the heating on most nights, what is going on...........

Debbie

Shakmaty Aug 18th 2007 11:47 pm

A fantastic post, obviously written from the heart, and telling it as it is. With that attitude, you'll do great:)

Margaret3 Aug 19th 2007 12:50 am

Thanks all, shakmaty should have listened to cas's advice from day one about work:o, but you all probably know newbies never listen to anyone, they always think they know better:o

moneypenny20 Aug 19th 2007 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 5207229)
Thanks all, shakmaty should have listened to cas's advice from day one about work:o, but you all probably know newbies never listen to anyone, they always think they know better:o

Kids don't learn from parents mistakes, why should you learn from Cas's :lol:

We all know those that we talked to before we got here and now don't want to know and are quite unpleasant about it. They are a waste of space and not worth wasting brain cells on. Their loss, not yours. It's not an easy thing this moving over lark but you've got the right attitude and it will come together. Great post hon. Look forward not back and "she'll be right":thumbsup:

Wendy Aug 19th 2007 2:50 am

Awe mate, what a lovely post.

I'm so glad that things are coming together for you, and one day I will get to Melly and buy you a drink or three :)

rebnatoli Aug 19th 2007 3:26 am

Thanks for such a good honest post. I really hope that things work out really well for you and your family.

ozzieeagle Aug 19th 2007 5:54 am

Great post Margaret, glad to hear things are settling down. Hope the work issue sorts itself out totally.

I think agency work is the way to go, until new nurses find themselves a niche that they like. Have you met any of the double shift chasers yet, if you found out how much they earn you'd be amazed.

Once you feel confident about moving around different parts of Melbourne, then you will really love the place, it just keeps growing on you.

Treat yourself to a drink with hubby at the Atrium Bar 35th floor 25 Collins, it's something very special.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/bar-re...080925390.html

Hmmm I just had a good look at the website there, and I've decided to take the wife to the Cafe La, I know the views are amazing from there, and it's not as expensive as I expected it to be. Should make a nice B'day present. Get your Hubby to take you ;)

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/cafe_la/

Shakmaty Aug 19th 2007 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 5207229)
Thanks all, shakmaty should have listened to cas's advice from day one about work:o, but you all probably know women never listen to anyone, they always think they know better:o

I know:lol:

mark 'n' joe Aug 19th 2007 9:56 am

Blimey cant believe its 4 months already!!

Glad things are getting better and teen is settling in. All the best.

Joex

Stitch Aug 19th 2007 12:52 pm

Good on ya.....It's a struggle but deep down I know it'll be worth it. You just gotta keep going ain't ya:thumbsup:

Cheers

Ginny

egghead4 Aug 19th 2007 4:06 pm

thats a great post, filled with honest moments of happiness, frustration and contentment.
I wish you and your family lots of luck
bec:thumbsup:

Donna&Neil Aug 20th 2007 9:58 pm

Hi Margaret, just wanted to say thanks for sharing and hang in there. All the best to you and yours. :thumbup:

Donna & Neil