Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Last day of my tourist visa...

Last day of my tourist visa...

Old Mar 4th 2016, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last day of my tourist visa...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, its generic. Mr Friendly Agent said they have received several for their clients.
He suggested uploading anything like police checks and meds that aren't already done, and then hope for the best!
Unfortunately I uploaded my police checks over 12 months ago as I was trying to efficient.

Just got a call from a very nice lady who confirms that there's such a backlog of partner visas at the moment they're trying to ensure that as many of them are 'decision-ready' as possible.

Asked to sit tight and wait for the case officer to contact me. She said that they may accept my out of date police certs so fingers crossed
Old Mar 4th 2016, 5:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Unfortunately I uploaded my police checks over 12 months ago as I was trying to efficient.

Just got a call from a very nice lady who confirms that there's such a backlog of partner visas at the moment they're trying to ensure that as many of them are 'decision-ready' as possible.

Asked to sit tight and wait for the case officer to contact me. She said that they may accept my out of date police certs so fingers crossed
The backlog is horrendous - main reason being that when the offshore price went up to match the onshore one (last July) a huge number of UK people who would have applied offshore came in on tourist visas and applied onshore instead. So most of the workload from London ended up in Australia. And thats caused a backlog so bad that waiting for PR onshore when holding the temp visa is now a wait of well over 12 months from date of eligibility. Quoted time 6-8 months - and in fact before July many came through in 3-4 months.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

So, the first day of my temporary partner visa is today! My case office rang yesterday and told me that everything looked good except that she couldn't find my UK police report. Thinking back, I haven't actually lived in England for almost eighteen years so she was satisfied with this answer and granted the visa straight away.

It's quite a relief to get this out of the way - not that I expected to have any problems but the thought of being given 28 days to leave the country was a bit daunting! Will be eligible to apply for the permanent bit of the visa on New Year's Eve.

Sallyanne and I are getting married on May the 8th at the Brisbane Jazz Club so that's another exciting event for us. 2016 is shaping up to be a very good year.

Just a quick question though. When would I be able to apply for citizenship? Is it four years after first arriving in the country or four years after my visa is granted?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
So, the first day of my temporary partner visa is today! My case office rang yesterday and told me that everything looked good except that she couldn't find my UK police report. Thinking back, I haven't actually lived in England for almost eighteen years so she was satisfied with this answer and granted the visa straight away.

It's quite a relief to get this out of the way - not that I expected to have any problems but the thought of being given 28 days to leave the country was a bit daunting! Will be eligible to apply for the permanent bit of the visa on New Year's Eve.

Sallyanne and I are getting married on May the 8th at the Brisbane Jazz Club so that's another exciting event for us. 2016 is shaping up to be a very good year.

Just a quick question though. When would I be able to apply for citizenship? Is it four years after first arriving in the country or four years after my visa is granted?
How exciting - and congrats on the wedding!
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

It was a twince over two years since I applied for my 820 partner visa and today I plucked up the courage to hit 'Submit' on the 801 permanent bit of it. Hopefully it won't take longer than the six to eight months they've been advertising and I'll have PR before the year is out.

Could do with 2017 being a bit of an improvement on 2016 to be honest as it was quite tough for us at times. Sal and I have been carrying out loads of improvements on our house and I'm really looking forward to building a retaining wall in the middle of a Brissy summer. Should be a hoot.

We've been scoping out Stanthorpe, Qld as a place to retire to in a few years time. Climate is cooler and much less humid and property is dirt cheap. We've been camping there a few times now and we both love the area. Can't leave Brissy for another five years or so due to the kids but it's important to dream!