British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Just popping by! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/just-popping-756380/)

smiling4 Apr 27th 2012 1:50 pm

Just popping by!

Hi all.....just popping by to say 'Hello'

Can't believe that we have been in Aussie for nearly a year now!! OMG! How quick has it flown by ...it took its time for us to get here, but hey in my opinion was worth the wait!

So a quick update.....arrived and completed our first wet season here in Darwin....two cyclone warnings and here we are at the other end....n brrrr am I feeling the chill! LOL! Humidity has dropped drastically in the last 48 hours and the last couple of nights I have woken really cold, so back on with the quilt!

Hubby has worked away since October, coming back for the odd week or two....had enough of that now! Fingers crossed he is back within the next couple of weeks. :thumbdown: Kids have settled well into school and thriving in their different areas. Me, I have a fab job and work with some awesome people.....so really lucky there.:thumbsup: N our dog, loves the beach, the rolling in the sand and her new life here in the NT:hysterical:

Not that it hasn't been a rollercoaster, but hey when I wake up to blue sky n sun virtually every morning.....I am one happy bunny!!! :thumbsup:

Currently have an application in for our PR....so fingers crossed it all goes through......:fingerscrossed:

Will extend this update on our year anniversary! Or there abouts!

Ems x

Kapri Apr 27th 2012 3:47 pm

Re: Just popping by!

Hey Ems!

Thanks for updating us. Glad to hear it's all gone well. :thumbsup:

Can you tell us a bit more about your experiences?

smiling4 Apr 27th 2012 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 10028773)
Hey Ems!

Thanks for updating us. Glad to hear it's all gone well. :thumbsup:

Can you tell us a bit more about your experiences?

Hey Kapri - hope you are well.....

My experiences! Eek....lol! Well depends what you would like to know.....as quite a few know, it took us years to get a visa sorted and then a quick 457 later we are here!
Headed into the NT and I love it, but do get that it is not for everyone. Anybody headed this way soon then please bear in mind its not like anywhere else in Australia and is often (in my experience and please remember this is from my observations) treated differently.
I can remember being told when I first started work, you will need to get out every so often.....n yes I must admit it is very sureal when headed out....recently had an opportunity to head to Sydney for a conference. It was funny for me seeing people suited and booted and having an array of shops to go look in. That is one thing in the Top End - there are a lack of shops (not that I mind as can't stand shopping), we have KMart, Target, Big W and some smaller ones sideline shops but that's it really! So if you can't find it internet shopping becomes very favourable!
Cost of living - property without doubt it hugely expensive......n some food and drink items....but tbh I spend less here a week on groceries than I did in the UK or at least on par, so that pleases me!:)
People in general are great, can't quite get over the amount of Brits here from the South Coast of England and the Irish.......it can be fun trying to find someone who originates from the territory at times.
I work in the remote once a week and must admit the scenery has to be some of the most breathtaking I have ever seen.....looking forward to visiting lots of places during the dry!
Crocs yes they are about......not seen one personally and I am very aware when and at what time I walk on the beach with the dog.....also jellies box ones in particular....and I have been unfortunate to see the results of a box jelly sting! NASTY!!!!
Schools with my experiences from my boys perspectives the eldest couldn't have settled any quicker - at 15 he was our concern, but he has got a great group of friends and school has been a positive experience for him. The younger one took a little longer to settle, but I think that also was from the perspective that the school was new and so, they were all struggling......all is good now and he is playing footie again....which makes him very happy and even at 13 is playing for the NT squad in the under 19's...fingers crossed he will get picked up over here as he was in the UK.:thumbsup:

As I say will do a further update in the next few weeks and let you all know how things are progressing with the PR bit......

More than happy to talk to anyone thinking or already headed this way!! Just shout!

But in the meantime...I love living in paradise - tropical paradise! :starsmile: and am thankful for this wonderful opportunity!

Ems x

LINZI Apr 27th 2012 11:40 pm

Congrats on the one year :thumbup:
Great update :)

Alfresco Apr 28th 2012 3:39 am

All the best Ems. Sounds like you're loving it. :thumbup:

You're not serious about the "chill" in Darwin are you? :lol:

smiling4 Apr 28th 2012 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 10029632)
All the best Ems. Sounds like you're loving it. :thumbup:

You're not serious about the "chill" in Darwin are you? :lol:

thanks hun....lol! I am!! brrrr!:rofl::p

Can't quite believe it myself!

Ems x

geordie mandy Apr 28th 2012 11:10 am

That has flown by Ems, cant be nearly a year already lol. Just seems like 5 mins since i was meeting you at Gloria Jeans for a coffee:rofl:

Time does seem to go past up here in Darwin.
Mandy x

smiling4 Apr 28th 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by geordie mandy (Post 10029957)
That has flown by Ems, cant be nearly a year already lol. Just seems like 5 mins since i was meeting you at Gloria Jeans for a coffee:rofl:

Time does seem to go past up here in Darwin.
Mandy x

Sure does hun.....must meet up soon.....:D Ems x

rebecca.hartstrom May 17th 2012 9:13 pm

Nice to read up on stuff like this. :D
Continue on being a happy bunny!

carolinephillips May 21st 2012 8:15 pm

Congrats on being here a year, and good luck with the PR.:thumbup:
I always enjoy reading about someone's experiences, especially when they choose somewhere so different to live. I'm in Sydney, which is lovely, but in many ways not too different from the UK.

Jilliebee May 22nd 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Ems

Glad to hear you're enjoying Darwin. We've been here over three years now and happy to stay for a while longer. Got my slippers and long pj's out now the dry has kicked in :thumbup:

JAK May 29th 2012 1:06 pm

Great update glad to hear you have settled in so quickly, reading updates like this makes me want to be there even sooner :thumbsup: