British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Just past the 2 years - Sunshine Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/just-past-2-years-sunshine-coast-569583/)

kevinbloomfield Oct 27th 2008 9:09 am

Just past the 2 years - Sunshine Coast

Hi all
We have just gone over the 2 years here on the lovely Sunshine Coast. We have a great group of friends and we are looking forward to getting our citizenship (apart from the fact we have lost our UK passports).

We spend our time fishing, camping, going to the beach, 4WD'ing, going out on our friends boat and generally having a great time.

I setup an IT business 14 months ago which is going well and my wife works in a small restaurant down in Maroochydore, she is also studying at the Sunshine Coast uni and is hoping to get on a nursing degree next year. Our son David is now a apprentice glazier and turning into a proper tradie (like getting excited by cordless drills and spirit levels!)

We have one big regret though, we wished we'd came over 10 years ago when our son was younger so maybe he would have got into the surfing, lifesaving etc. Otherwise we love it here. Personally I have no desire to go back to the UK at anytime, I really can't see any attraction. We have pretty much everything here.

I think the most important thing for anyone coming over here is to have a good bunch of friends. it's all well and good having a big house with a pool and a big 4WD car but without friends I reckon it would be very hard. We have been very lucky with our friends here and we wouldn't swap them for anything.
A special thanks to (in no particular order) Andy, Jayne, Steve, Judy, Roger, Jeanette, Simon, Debbie, Simon, Ange and anyone else I may have forgotten (sorry)

To anyone contemplating the move over then don't think about it just do it. Australia is so much better than the UK it's unreal, just the weather itself is enough reason to move
To see some photos of what we've been up have a look here
http://flickr.com/photos/bloomster/
And here
http://picasaweb.google.com/devilishdeans
Our friend Jayne photos everything and anything and uploads them to Picassaweb within 30 minutes of the photos being taken (well it seems that way)

That's it for now, I'll post an update in October 2009 when we should be citizens and tru blue aussies :-)

Pagani-Rennox Oct 27th 2008 12:22 pm

Re: Just past the 2 years - Sunshine Coast

Hi there

Fantastic post - makes me feel great! We are arriving in the Sunshine coast Dec 31st - NEW YEAR, NEW LIFE. Have a rental apartment in Cotton Tree (Burlington Apartments) then are looking to settle in a permanent rental (got to have a pool) once we find one.

So glad to hear the Sunshine Coast is as good as we hope it will be. We have 2 kids age 5 and 8 and I honestly think we are all going to love it there. Just one downside - I start work on Jan 5th so not enough time to enjoy myself first!!

Looking forward to meeting people when we get out. Any expat meetups arranged?

Thanks for the lovely post:thumbsup:

kevinbloomfield Oct 27th 2008 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6914174)
Hi there

Fantastic post - makes me feel great! We are arriving in the Sunshine coast Dec 31st - NEW YEAR, NEW LIFE. Have a rental apartment in Cotton Tree (Burlington Apartments) then are looking to settle in a permanent rental (got to have a pool) once we find one.

So glad to hear the Sunshine Coast is as good as we hope it will be. We have 2 kids age 5 and 8 and I honestly think we are all going to love it there. Just one downside - I start work on Jan 5th so not enough time to enjoy myself first!!

Looking forward to meeting people when we get out. Any expat meetups arranged?

Thanks for the lovely post:thumbsup:

Hi
You'll love it here I'm sure, we really wished we came out when our son was 5 years old as it's a much nicer environment to bring kids up than the UK.

There's plenty of time to enjoy yourself outside of work hours, just make the most of the weekends and the outdoor lifestyle.

Good luck on the rentals though, budget on paying $450 - $500 a week for something decent in a good school area (Mountain Creek, Sippy Downs etc)

As to Expat meets, just arrange one yourself when you get here, I'm sure you'll get a few people along but I'd suggest having it at the Mooloolaba Spit rather than the Kawana Hotel where it normally is. At least you can all go and have a play on the beach or in the ocean - so much nicer than a dark old pub.

Pagani-Rennox Oct 27th 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks for the info Kevin. Is Sippy Downs a good area to settle? Hadn't really thought about going there, as don't know much about the area. Was thinkng more of Currimundi, Maroochydore, or Mountain Creek areas but willing to keep an open mind.

Cheers
Claire

kevinbloomfield Oct 27th 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6915862)
Thanks for the info Kevin. Is Sippy Downs a good area to settle? Hadn't really thought about going there, as don't know much about the area. Was thinkng more of Currimundi, Maroochydore, or Mountain Creek areas but willing to keep an open mind.

Cheers
Claire

I'd say Mountain Creek would be ideal as there are good schools (Primary and High), it's 5 minutes to the beach and pretty much close to everything.
Good for walking the dog as well if you have one (or are getting one) as the council are now putting in some new walking tracks in the bushland behind the Glenfields estate.
Maroochydore high school doesn't have such a good reputation and I've no idea about Sippy Downs but there's loads of building going on up that way and there's going to be a new town centre at some point in that area.

Brisben Oct 27th 2008 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 6915771)
Hi
You'll love it here I'm sure, we really wished we came out when our son was 5 years old as it's a much nicer environment to bring kids up than the UK.

There's plenty of time to enjoy yourself outside of work hours, just make the most of the weekends and the outdoor lifestyle.

I came when my two boys were 5 and 7 and glad we did, they love the outdoor lifestyle, their life is far better than what it was in the UK.

I agree Australia is much better than the UK, Personal opinion and outlook.

I have family now seeing how we live and wish / want to bring their children over so they can enjoy the same.

When I come home and swim in the pool with the kids, play on the beach or just ride our bikes I realise everytime how fortunate we are.

Good on ya Kevin, keep enjoying it.

kevinbloomfield Oct 27th 2008 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 6916001)
I came when my two boys were 5 and 7 and glad we did, they love the outdoor lifestyle, their life is far better than what it was in the UK.

I agree Australia is much better than the UK, Personal opinion and outlook.

I have family now seeing how we live and wish / want to bring their children over so they can enjoy the same.

When I come home and swim in the pool with the kids, play on the beach or just ride our bikes I realise evertime how fortunate we are.

Good on ya Kevin, keep enjoying it.

Hey Ben, seems a long time ago now that we were both in the UK doesn't it?
Aint the weather just gorgeous here at the moment? lovely blue skies and hovering between 24 - 28
I wonder what the UK is doing (grey, around 12 degrees brrrrrrrrr)

bradburns2 Oct 28th 2008 3:51 am

It's nice to hear that you're still enjoying the ozzie life, hope you all have many more wonderful years ahead of you.

I think you are spot on with what you said about needing to have good friends. There's no point in being in a beautiful place, being lonely. I just hope we are fortunate enough to make good friends too.

We are hoping to move up to the Sunshine Coast at the end of Jan. I am getting slightly worried about the cost of rentals though. When i have looked on realestate.com, i have seen 3 and a couple of 4 beds up for $400 per week. Is this not really the case then? I don't really want to be spending more than that on a rental. The areas i've been looking at are Caloundra west (Bellvista) and the surrounding areas.

Lisa

Brisben Oct 28th 2008 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 6916006)
Hey Ben, seems a long time ago now that we were both in the UK doesn't it?
Aint the weather just gorgeous here at the moment? lovely blue skies and hovering between 24 - 28
I wonder what the UK is doing (grey, around 12 degrees brrrrrrrrr)

It does Kev, seems like a distant memory.

The UK is very cold and gloomy, winter is beginning to kick in so its all depression here on in for the next four / five months.

I might even hit the beach soon:lol:

Good on ya Kev keep enjoying and when I am up your way I'll give you a shout.:)

kevinbloomfield Oct 29th 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by bradburns2 (Post 6916536)
It's nice to hear that you're still enjoying the ozzie life, hope you all have many more wonderful years ahead of you.

I think you are spot on with what you said about needing to have good friends. There's no point in being in a beautiful place, being lonely. I just hope we are fortunate enough to make good friends too.

We are hoping to move up to the Sunshine Coast at the end of Jan. I am getting slightly worried about the cost of rentals though. When i have looked on realestate.com, i have seen 3 and a couple of 4 beds up for $400 per week. Is this not really the case then? I don't really want to be spending more than that on a rental. The areas i've been looking at are Caloundra west (Bellvista) and the surrounding areas.

Lisa

All depends on where you want to be, the Mountain Creek schools have a good reputation so the house prices are higher (to buy and rent). The house next door to us is a rental and it costs $450 a week, it's a 4 bed lowset without a pool. To buy it would be around $500,000.
Caloundra is cheaper I believe and it's lovely down there but it is a bit old fashioned. As long as you don't want to be out after 9pm you'll be fine as there is a special police force down there (the pyjama police) that arrests unruly types who stay out late :-)

bradburns2 Oct 30th 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 6921352)
All depends on where you want to be, the Mountain Creek schools have a good reputation so the house prices are higher (to buy and rent). The house next door to us is a rental and it costs $450 a week, it's a 4 bed lowset without a pool. To buy it would be around $500,000.
Caloundra is cheaper I believe and it's lovely down there but it is a bit old fashioned. As long as you don't want to be out after 9pm you'll be fine as there is a special police force down there (the pyjama police) that arrests unruly types who stay out late :-)

I've heard of the Mountain Creek schools and we will look around there too, but we are on a student visa, with lots of restrictions on us and there are lots of fees to pay too, which limits us, on what we can pay for a rental. Obviously i would prefer to be close to a very good school, but in this case it is more where we can afford to go than where we want to go. Saying that though we love it in Caloundra and it seems to have what we are looking for. Except for the pyjama police. We are not dead set on Caloundra yet though we have lots more searching yet.

Thanks Kevin:thumbup:

marvinc Oct 30th 2008 12:38 pm

Good feel update and loved looking at your pics, airport ones you are all so happy and smilie, hope I am :rofl:

joeyballantyne Nov 3rd 2008 5:02 am

evening all!...Kev you should know that there are different time zones for the pyjama police to deal with in Caloundra...Golden Beach are in bed first at 8.59m - as the seafood shop and BWS closes... then the rest of Caloundra gradually falls asleep as there is no longer the hum of V8's...however Pelican Waters, Bellvista and Ivadale Lakes are always last at around 3am!...due to watching live Premiership footy :p

how did the futsal team go???

J

Caloundra is cheaper I believe and it's lovely down there but it is a bit old fashioned. As long as you don't want to be out after 9pm you'll be fine as there is a special police force down there (the pyjama police) that arrests unruly types who stay out late

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 6921352)

kevinbloomfield Nov 5th 2008 2:29 am

Caloundra's a great place really though, a lot more character than Maroochydore (which has no character at all). Lovely beaches and the RSL is good. I reckon it'll wake up over the next few years and it'll be the new Noosa (without the pretentious people).

It's funny what you say about Pelican Waters etc, I suppose the same could be said about Mountain Creek and Chancellor Park or wherever there's a high amount of pommies living. I personally can't stand watching footie on the telly so I'm always in bed at 9:30 - 10pm.

Never got into the Footsal, we do however have a team (Fulchester United) down at Buderim that plays on Wednesday nights. I say it's at Buderim but it could be in north London as there's plenty of cockneys down there :-)

If anyone is reading this on the 5th November, it's absolutely pissing it down here today, I do hope it's not like last year when it seemed to rain for months all over the Xmas period :-(

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne (Post 6934570)
evening all!...Kev you should know that there are different time zones for the pyjama police to deal with in Caloundra...Golden Beach are in bed first at 8.59m - as the seafood shop and BWS closes... then the rest of Caloundra gradually falls asleep as there is no longer the hum of V8's...however Pelican Waters, Bellvista and Ivadale Lakes are always last at around 3am!...due to watching live Premiership footy :p

how did the futsal team go???

J

Caloundra is cheaper I believe and it's lovely down there but it is a bit old fashioned. As long as you don't want to be out after 9pm you'll be fine as there is a special police force down there (the pyjama police) that arrests unruly types who stay out late

bridie Nov 5th 2008 5:56 am

I remember the days we were waiting for our visas.... where does the time go?
Glad it's all working out for you :)

egghead4 Nov 7th 2008 4:29 am

hello mr bloomfield

its great to hear that you and your family are still loving life in oz. It seems so long ago that you were giving me advice about the SC and what all the areas were like etc, we are here too now, well in Bundy that is. we are loving it!!!:thumbsup: When we get settled you'll have to have a gander at our update. Until then, keep smiling;)

bec

kevinbloomfield Nov 7th 2008 4:31 am

Originally Posted by egghead4 (Post 6948652)
hello mr bloomfield

its great to hear that you and your family are still loving life in oz. It seems so long ago that you were giving me advice about the SC and what all the areas were like etc, we are here too now, well in Bundy that is. we are loving it!!!:thumbsup: When we get settled you'll have to have a gander at our update. Until then, keep smiling;)

bec

Mr Bloomfield??
Bit formal aint it :-)
How come you decided on Bundy?

nickywes Nov 8th 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 6948657)
Mr Bloomfield??
Bit formal aint it :-)
How come you decided on Bundy?

Just been reading your update on the SC and really pleased you love it there. We have just moved over 2 weeks ago and are in the GC at the moment. We have rented a house in Little Mountain and can't wait to move up there on Friday. Can you tell me a bit about where and how our 17yr old son should go about making friends and where the place to be is? He is really worried that he will never have a friend in the world :)

earlswoody Nov 9th 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 6913763)
Hi all
We have just gone over the 2 years here on the lovely Sunshine Coast. We have a great group of friends and we are looking forward to getting our citizenship (apart from the fact we have lost our UK passports).

We spend our time fishing, camping, going to the beach, 4WD'ing, going out on our friends boat and generally having a great time.

I setup an IT business 14 months ago which is going well and my wife works in a small restaurant down in Maroochydore, she is also studying at the Sunshine Coast uni and is hoping to get on a nursing degree next year. Our son David is now a apprentice glazier and turning into a proper tradie (like getting excited by cordless drills and spirit levels!)

We have one big regret though, we wished we'd came over 10 years ago when our son was younger so maybe he would have got into the surfing, lifesaving etc. Otherwise we love it here. Personally I have no desire to go back to the UK at anytime, I really can't see any attraction. We have pretty much everything here.

I think the most important thing for anyone coming over here is to have a good bunch of friends. it's all well and good having a big house with a pool and a big 4WD car but without friends I reckon it would be very hard. We have been very lucky with our friends here and we wouldn't swap them for anything.
A special thanks to (in no particular order) Andy, Jayne, Steve, Judy, Roger, Jeanette, Simon, Debbie, Simon, Ange and anyone else I may have forgotten (sorry)

To anyone contemplating the move over then don't think about it just do it. Australia is so much better than the UK it's unreal, just the weather itself is enough reason to move
To see some photos of what we've been up have a look here
http://flickr.com/photos/bloomster/
And here
http://picasaweb.google.com/devilishdeans
Our friend Jayne photos everything and anything and uploads them to Picassaweb within 30 minutes of the photos being taken (well it seems that way)

That's it for now, I'll post an update in October 2009 when we should be citizens and tru blue aussies :-)

To say "Australia is so much better than the UK it's unreal" does not ring true to me at all.
For some it is and for others it's not....I do not find Australia better than the UK in fact in many ways it is far behind the UK when it comes to scenery the culture and the people….some love it and as you know some hate it.

steve`o Nov 9th 2008 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by earlswoody (Post 6955640)
To say "Australia is so much better than the UK it's unreal" does not ring true to me at all.
For some it is and for others it's not....I do not find Australia better than the UK in fact in many ways it is far behind the UK when it comes to scenery the culture and the people….some love it and as you know some hate it.

as this is someones update on their personal experiances and the friends that they have made since being here and not an open debate i cannot see why you feel the need to add to it by being so negative ???

we all know you dont like it here in au as you constantly spouting how shit it is, and quite frankly its getting boring, why dont you f**k off home if its so bad and leave the rest of us to get on with our lives ??

regard steve

Pagani-Rennox Nov 9th 2008 8:13 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself Steve!!!!

For someone like myself who has put everything into deconstructing my own, and my family's, life here in the UK (we're flying out to the Sunshine Coast next month on a 457) to build up a totally new life in Oz, I get a lot of strength and postitivity from reading about people whose move has really worked out well. The only reason I can think of for Earlswoody to write such a post is to get a kick out of making people doubt the massive life change they are making or just about to make. It doesn't make sense and is just pretty shit of him or her. And quite warped too!! :curse:

OK, said my piece now and I'm off to read other posts that make me feel good!!

Cheers Steve (and Kevin Bloomfield). Hope to share your good times in Oz when we start our new life next month. :thumbup:

earlswoody Nov 9th 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 6956501)
as this is someones update on their personal experiances and the friends that they have made since being here and not an open debate i cannot see why you feel the need to add to it by being so negative ???

we all know you dont like it here in au as you constantly spouting how shit it is, and quite frankly its getting boring, why dont you f**k off home if its so bad and leave the rest of us to get on with our lives ??

regard steve

I don't know what makes you such an angry man Steve but it really works :thumbup:

Regards The Earl.

P.S use a spell-checker mate.

earlswoody Nov 9th 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6956539)
Couldn't have put it better myself Steve!!!!

For someone like myself who has put everything into deconstructing my own, and my family's, life here in the UK (we're flying out to the Sunshine Coast next month on a 457) to build up a totally new life in Oz, I get a lot of strength and postitivity from reading about people whose move has really worked out well. The only reason I can think of for Earlswoody to write such a post is to get a kick out of making people doubt the massive life change they are making or just about to make. It doesn't make sense and is just pretty shit of him or her. And quite warped too!! :curse:

OK, said my piece now and I'm off to read other posts that make me feel good!!

Cheers Steve (and Kevin Bloomfield). Hope to share your good times in Oz when we start our new life next month. :thumbup:

If you only read the positives and not the negatives you are going to be very disappointed when you get over here….a balance of the two will make it so much easier to settle over here.

Pagani-Rennox Nov 9th 2008 8:28 pm

Earlswoody - please let me find that out for myself. I'm not a child, and at 40years old with a lot of life experience, I fully know things won't be all plain sailing. Give us a break and just let us feel positive about the massive decision we've just made. It's hard enough knowing your taking your kids away from grandparents etc and so we need all the good karma we can get. NOT someone saying how bad Oz is when we've put such an investment into going. Do you see what I mean by this?

Sorry if I'm getting on at you but it really is such a difficult and emotional process for people as it is, especially when you are bringing your kids to the other side of the world, in the hope you are doing the right thing.

I understand you want to give a balanced view but I don't understand why you are in Oz if you hate it so much? :(

earlswoody Nov 9th 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6956567)
Earlswoody - please let me find that out for myself. I'm not a child, and at 40years old with a lot of life experience, I fully know things won't be all plain sailing. Give us a break and just let us feel positive about the massive decision we've just made. It's hard enough knowing your taking your kids away from grandparents etc and so we need all the good karma we can get. NOT someone saying how bad Oz is when we've put such an investment into going. Do you see what I mean by this?

Sorry if I'm getting on at you but it really is such a difficult and emotional process for people as it is, especially when you are bringing your kids to the other side of the world, in the hope you are doing the right thing.

I understand you want to give a balanced view but I don't understand why you are in Oz if you hate it so much? :(

I agree with most of your post but if people are not allowed to honestly say what they find wrong as well as good about Oz and are just told to "f*** off home" every time you say anything about Oz that you do not like it is going to be very distorted and one sided forum, if people are vilified and bullied every time they say anything negative about Australia then it is a sad place.

steve`o Nov 9th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by earlswoody (Post 6956617)

I agree with most of your post but if people are not allowed to honestly say what they find wrong as well as good about Oz and are just told to "f*** off home" every time you say anything about Oz that you do not like it is going to be very distorted and one sided forum, if people are vilified and bullied every time they say anything negative about Australia then it is a sad place.

yes your right but the place for both views is in the what do you think of aus type debates not someones personal update hence the **** off type of reaction

regard steve

moneypenny20 Nov 10th 2008 2:11 am

Could all the children play nicely please. This is an update forum, not the Aus or Barbie sites. The threads here are based on people's personal perceptions of their lives now whether good or bad. It's not for anyone else to say they are right or wrong as no one else knows how the Original Poster lives.

It would be nice, but unlikely, if arguments and personal abuse could be kept out of here. The last thing a Mod wants to do is to have to close an Update thread.

viviennef Nov 25th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6957339)
Could all the children play nicely please. This is an update forum, not the Aus or Barbie sites. The threads here are based on people's personal perceptions of their lives now whether good or bad. It's not for anyone else to say they are right or wrong as no one else knows how the Original Poster lives.

It would be nice, but unlikely, if arguments and personal abuse could be kept out of here. The last thing a Mod wants to do is to have to close an Update thread.

So Nickywes - are you here - our 18 year old nephew comes in December for a year

so anyone decided where the love it or hate it thread is going to be?

Viv

johull Nov 25th 2008 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by nickywes (Post 6952331)
Just been reading your update on the SC and really pleased you love it there. We have just moved over 2 weeks ago and are in the GC at the moment. We have rented a house in Little Mountain and can't wait to move up there on Friday. Can you tell me a bit about where and how our 17yr old son should go about making friends and where the place to be is? He is really worried that he will never have a friend in the world :)

Hey Nicky - we are coming out but in Feb and are going to the Gold Coast, have a 17 year old, 14 year old and a 6 year old. Will you be on the sunshine coast then? How are things going so far?

Jo
x

Kath & Graham Nov 25th 2008 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by johull (Post 7008002)
Hey Nicky - we are coming out but in Feb and are going to the Gold Coast, have a 17 year old, 14 year old and a 6 year old. Will you be on the sunshine coast then? How are things going so far?

Jo
x

Are you on your way back for good?

Kath

johull Nov 25th 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham (Post 7008263)
Are you on your way back for good?

Kath

Hi Kath

Sure are!! Getting nervous now but know its the right thing. Are you back there yet - if so where??? Keep having a look on here but been really busy with work etc. Our 17 year old wants to come back but keeps blowing hot and cold. Just so scared in case he backs out.

This move will be for good though, only problem is we havent managed to sell our house but fortunately a lovely family want it on a long term lease, at least 2 years, so will give us time to settle and hopefully for housing market to pick up.

Whats going on with you guys - will PM youlater

Jo
xx

nickywes Jan 4th 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by viviennef (Post 7007129)
So Nickywes - are you here - our 18 year old nephew comes in December for a year

so anyone decided where the love it or hate it thread is going to be?

Viv

Hi there Viv - sorry did not reply but have had such awful internet here and just gave up trying to keep up. Has your nephew arrived now? Our DS was 18 on New Years Eve and would welcome some friends to go out with. He has just landed a job working in a bar so that should help but apart from that doesn't really know anybody much yet.

Originally Posted by johull (Post 7008002)

Jo
x

Hi Jo, sorry didn't reply (see above) We do spend some time on the GC but it is a good 2 hour drive from us but would meet up if down there at any time.

Originally Posted by johull (Post 7008282)
Hi Kath

Sure are!! Getting nervous now but know its the right thing. Are you back there yet - if so where??? Keep having a look on here but been really busy with work etc. Our 17 year old wants to come back but keeps blowing hot and cold. Just so scared in case he backs out.

This move will be for good though, only problem is we havent managed to sell our house but fortunately a lovely family want it on a long term lease, at least 2 years, so will give us time to settle and hopefully for housing market to pick up.

Whats going on with you guys - will PM youlater

Jo
xx

Jo, we still have our house in the UK too and it is rented out. Am hoping that they stay for a good couple of years to at least allow the market to pick up a bit.

Nicky x