British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   The Jordan Update !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/jordan-update-429217/)

stacey and jordan Feb 21st 2007 3:04 am

The Jordan Update !!

Well we are finally here, it took us a year but we made it. The last few days in the UK were very hard saying goodbye to all the people we love , watching the kids getting upset saying goodbye to there friends. We asked ourselves so many times were we doing the right thing. We flew with Singapore airlines who were absolutely fantastic the kids were kept entertained all the way here. I was so worried about flying with a 1 year old but I can actually say I enjoyed the flight. Lots of films for adults and children, game consoles and plenty to drink and eat all the way here. We only had a 3 hour stop over in Singapore but it went very fast. We got to Brisbane airport on the 5th January at 8.40 pm, where our meet and greet were waiting for us. It was so nice to have someone at the other end to meet us and to help with all our luggage. We stayed at the Champelli apartments on the Gold coast and for the first few days we just relaxed and took in the sights, I can’t believe how much jet lag can mess you around, we felt sick and dizzy for days. In our first few weeks we registered for our tax file numbers, Medicare, and found ourselves a rental and a car. 3 weeks after arrival my husband started work and the kids started school and my furniture had arrived from the UK and we had some kind of routine back in our lives. :)

My kids love there new school, I’m not so keen on the colour of there uniform though(brown and yellow) :D They have even learnt the Australian National anthem for there school assemblies. Then after school twice a week they have swimming lessons and tennis lessons they are making lots of new friends. My husband has settled into work really well and he is meeting new people, which they did give him a lot of stick for the 1st week about the cricket but funny enough that has all stopped now. :p I go once a week to a mother and toddler group at our local church and I love meeting up with my friend for coffee and cake ( I love the cake here) at the Coffee club.

I have no regrets about leaving the UK. I speak to my family all the time by phone and web cam who keep me update with all the family gossip. We have settled in really well. It feels like home now. I can walk through my local shopping mal and people will smile and say hello now like they have known me forever. I can take the kids to school now without the help of my Tom Tom, and I am starting to find little short cuts to avoid the traffic. I now have my Flyby card to start collecting my points, and people don’t beep there horn at me so often now. I love the drive back from taking my kids to school where my views are of the hinterlands. I love being woke up by the bird with the happy whistle (don’t know it’s name). We are surrounded by some many fantastic things to do and a lifetime to do it in.

There are a few things that don’t change even all the way across the other side of the world. It still rains at 3 o clock picking the kids up from school, and you still have to wait forever in a doctor surgery. :frown:

Well I’m off to prepare the food for the Barbie tonight, so the husband can tell me again that he cooked the dinner. For all of you about to start the long process of emigrating to Australia, all I can say is the wait is defiantly worth it!!!!! :thumbup:

Stacey xx

mickagnew Feb 21st 2007 9:26 am

Re: The Jordan Update !!

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan (Post 4435906)
Well we are finally here, it took us a year but we made it. The last few days in the UK were very hard saying goodbye to all the people we love , watching the kids getting upset saying goodbye to there friends. We asked ourselves so many times were we doing the right thing. We flew with Singapore airlines who were absolutely fantastic the kids were kept entertained all the way here. I was so worried about flying with a 1 year old but I can actually say I enjoyed the flight. Lots of films for adults and children, game consoles and plenty to drink and eat all the way here. We only had a 3 hour stop over in Singapore but it went very fast. We got to Brisbane airport on the 5th January at 8.40 pm, where our meet and greet were waiting for us. It was so nice to have someone at the other end to meet us and to help with all our luggage. We stayed at the Champelli apartments on the Gold coast and for the first few days we just relaxed and took in the sights, I can’t believe how much jet lag can mess you around, we felt sick and dizzy for days. In our first few weeks we registered for our tax file numbers, Medicare, and found ourselves a rental and a car. 3 weeks after arrival my husband started work and the kids started school and my furniture had arrived from the UK and we had some kind of routine back in our lives. :)

My kids love there new school, I’m not so keen on the colour of there uniform though(brown and yellow) :D They have even learnt the Australian National anthem for there school assemblies. Then after school twice a week they have swimming lessons and tennis lessons they are making lots of new friends. My husband has settled into work really well and he is meeting new people, which they did give him a lot of stick for the 1st week about the cricket but funny enough that has all stopped now. :p I go once a week to a mother and toddler group at our local church and I love meeting up with my friend for coffee and cake ( I love the cake here) at the Coffee club.

I have no regrets about leaving the UK. I speak to my family all the time by phone and web cam who keep me update with all the family gossip. We have settled in really well. It feels like home now. I can walk through my local shopping mal and people will smile and say hello now like they have known me forever. I can take the kids to school now without the help of my Tom Tom, and I am starting to find little short cuts to avoid the traffic. I now have my Flyby card to start collecting my points, and people don’t beep there horn at me so often now. I love the drive back from taking my kids to school where my views are of the hinterlands. I love being woke up by the bird with the happy whistle (don’t know it’s name). We are surrounded by some many fantastic things to do and a lifetime to do it in.

There are a few things that don’t change even all the way across the other side of the world. It still rains at 3 o clock picking the kids up from school, and you still have to wait forever in a doctor surgery. :frown:

Well I’m off to prepare the food for the Barbie tonight, so the husband can tell me again that he cooked the dinner. For all of you about to start the long process of emigrating to Australia, all I can say is the wait is defiantly worth it!!!!! :thumbup:

Stacey xx

Nice one Stacey, glad its all going well.

Mick

Nomore Feb 21st 2007 9:28 am

Stacey xx

Have a great barbie and new life;)

Clippy Feb 21st 2007 10:08 am

Great update Stacey, good to hear you've settled in so well :)

TeresaG Feb 21st 2007 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Clippies (Post 4436750)
Great update Stacey, good to hear you've settled in so well :)

What a brilliant post. Glad to hear that you have all settled in so well.

the4ofus Feb 21st 2007 1:54 pm

Great post :thumbup: Best wishes to you and your family.

Lynn

Ozzy7 Feb 21st 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks for your update, its great to hear you have settled in so well.:thumbup:

acbh2 Feb 21st 2007 3:32 pm

Sounds amazing! Post made me want to be there now, hopefully not to long. Its so good to hear the positives :)

Axx

marvinc Feb 22nd 2007 1:16 pm

My kids love there new school, I’m not so keen on the colour of there uniform though(brown and yellow) :D They have even learnt the Australian National anthem for there school assemblies.

Stacey xx

Lovely update :D , isn't it a shame nobody has pride in celebrating being English anymore, we probably couldn't have the National anthem here in case it upset someone.

mindblower Feb 22nd 2007 1:36 pm

Stacey xx

Superb start to life in OZ for you, well done !!!

Best wishes...

want2bthere Feb 22nd 2007 3:10 pm

so please that you've settled well, can only hope for the same when we eventually get there.:thumbup:

tracey x

curly Feb 22nd 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Stacey, it all sounds fantastic :D it's great you seem to have settled so quickly.
My youngest's uniform is brown & gold, here in the midlands!!!!!
How long before you flew did you send your belongings? as 3 weeks after arriving sounds great.
Keep having fun :) I can't wait to go now!!!

stacey and jordan Feb 23rd 2007 2:54 am

Originally Posted by curly (Post 4442260)
Hi Stacey, it all sounds fantastic :D it's great you seem to have settled so quickly.
My youngest's uniform is brown & gold, here in the midlands!!!!!
How long before you flew did you send your belongings? as 3 weeks after arriving sounds great.
Keep having fun :) I can't wait to go now!!!

Our furniture was shipped off at the beginning of November. We stayed with my parents for 8 weeks to give it a head start. It actually docked christmas week but they were closed for the holidays. So by the time we got here and found a rental it was ready to be delivered. I did it this way as i thought it would be easier living in the UK with no furniture with the help of family, than in Australia with no family or friends. I'm glad we did it this way, it was stress free in the final weeks in the UK and we saved a lot of money living rent free at my parents.

Off to Surfers Paradise tonight to have a look around the outdoor market, then we're going to Sea World for the day Saturday followed by a BBQ, and then Sunday husband off to play Golf on one of the many beautiful golf courses around here and i'm taking the kids to the ozzie version of a wacky warehouse. Then off to Australia Fair for a Wendys Ice cream. It's funny i don't mind the kids waking me up at 6am in the morning now :) The Gold Coast has made it very easy for us to settle very quickly.

Ozzy7 Feb 23rd 2007 8:29 am

Sounds like you have settled in well at the GC. I adore the GC and love the markets, we want to live in upper coomera which is in the middle the GC and Brisbaine. :D

Jaycee1 Feb 23rd 2007 6:07 pm

Hi Stacey,
I was only asking about you recently :eek: What an excellent post.
You sound so organised and settled already! I'm really glad it's working out for you.
Take care,
J x