Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

It's time to celebrate......

It's time to celebrate......

Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's time to celebrate......

We've done it, one year today, how exciting it was when we landed in Adelaide 12 months ago the sun was shinning, the start of our new lives, we did go through a unlucky phase, with the OH not being to secure a job for 6 months, with me almost losing my life in the hospital, but I almost back to where I was when I first came here, so all's well ends well.

Getting use to different pronunciations of words like saying Yoghurt isn’t heard of here, you must say yo-------ghurt, or asking for green pepper & then getting a blank look because its not called that, but its called capsicum, or seeing those little demon with their florescent jacket on their little moped called postman, then you have to walk all the way to the front of your house to pick up your mails, as it doesn’t get posted through your door, or seeing young & old walking around with no shoes on, & that needed a lot of getting use to.
Now we have been in the Gold Coast for 5 months OH has got job, but we can’t wait to go back home to Adelaide.

Now its time to celebrate, lets have a drink or 2 to our first year anniversary.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's time to celebrate......

Well Done!

I can't understand though, why do you want to go "home" to Adelaide if there is no work there for your husband?

Just being nosey, as looking for somewhere different to live at the moment.

M
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Well Done!

I can't understand though, why do you want to go "home" to Adelaide if there is no work there for your husband?

Just being nosey, as looking for somewhere different to live at the moment.

M
Because once we have our citizenship he can work in defence, but he cant do that right now as we are not citizen.

We have moved to the GC, but we all hate it here, not a place that I choose to live if I have had a choice, but at this moment we dont have a choice.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Sorry for that.

It's hard living somewhere you don't like because of the work situation. We are in a similar position, living here because the work is here.

More difficult for you though, I think, from previous posts I remember you have older children who you are having to re-settle with each move.

Roll on your citizenship, did you manage to validate in time to qualify for citizenship after 2 years?

How is your husband, Chris, after his flu?

Best of Luck with everything,

M
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Sorry for that.

It's hard living somewhere you don't like because of the work situation. We are in a similar position, living here because the work is here.

More difficult for you though, I think, from previous posts I remember you have older children who you are having to re-settle with each move.

Roll on your citizenship, did you manage to validate in time to qualify for citizenship after 2 years?

How is your husband, Chris, after his flu?

Best of Luck with everything,

M
Yes we did that 2 years ago, Chris is off until Friday he is a lot better thank you.
My eldest is finding it very hard to settle he said he wants to go home once he finishes his year 12 & do his uni education back in UK.
Where about are you?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:03 am
Account Closed

Will PM you!

M
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris and farideh View Post
Because once we have our citizenship he can work in defence, but he cant do that right now as we are not citizen.

We have moved to the GC, but we all hate it here, not a place that I choose to live if I have had a choice, but at this moment we dont have a choice.

Hi we are heading to Brisbane/Gold Coast as soon as we've sold the house. We plumpt for there as my OH has a mate that lives in Ashmore and he's desperate to get my OH out asap.... Can I ask your opinions on adelaide vs the Gold Coast.

I've never been to either so it really is a mamouth leap of faith to head for Brisbane/Gold Coast.... fore warned is fore armed... or so they say....

anyway, thanks in advance,

Shelley
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Farideh and Chris on a year in Oz. Hope the next year goes quickly and citizenship unlocks the doors you need opened in Adelaide.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Chris & Farideh on surviving your first year!
Your continued optimism, despite all the trials & tribulations, is to be commended.
Well done
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sheli0508 View Post
Hi we are heading to Brisbane/Gold Coast as soon as we've sold the house. We plumpt for there as my OH has a mate that lives in Ashmore and he's desperate to get my OH out asap.... Can I ask your opinions on adelaide vs the Gold Coast.

I've never been to either so it really is a mamouth leap of faith to head for Brisbane/Gold Coast.... fore warned is fore armed... or so they say....

anyway, thanks in advance,

Shelley
Hi Shelley,

we really felt at home in Adelaide, I really like everything about Adelaide, it had everything, the people British or Ozzie were much nicer, than I have found in the GC.

Sadly for jobs Brisbane is much better than Adelaide for my OH, the weather can get very humid here, but you do get the 4 season in Adelaide, & boy does it rain here, it really does rain so much here.
The standard of education is 100% better in SA, than here in the GC/Brisbane, unless you put your children into church or private school, to get decent education.
Cant you guys do a reccie of both places to get the feel for it, Beaches in the GC are much nicer than Adelaide too.

Faridehx
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fly Away View Post
Congratulations Farideh and Chris on a year in Oz. Hope the next year goes quickly and citizenship unlocks the doors you need opened in Adelaide.

Cant wait to get back home, I even miss the awful advertise they had in Adelaide TV, how sad am I, I'm getting our first ozzie friends coming over to the GC for Easter holiday, nice to get all gossip from them.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallyclaire View Post
Congratulations Chris & Farideh on surviving your first year!
Your continued optimism, despite all the trials & tribulations, is to be commended.
Well done
Thank you sallyclair, one thing I must say I cant believe how fast time fly's by here, I cant believe its one year since we have been here, it feels like it was only yesterday we landed at Adelaide.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:16 am
Naughty but nice...

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulaions my friend on your first year anniversary.

I can't wait to have you come home to Adelaide either not long now though eh?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Congratulaions my friend on your first year anniversary.

I can't wait to have you come home to Adelaide either not long now though eh?
Yes only 12 months more to go, really it isnt long, first year really flew by, lets hope the 2nd year be the same.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:42 am
Naughty but nice...

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh View Post
Yes only 12 months more to go, really it isnt long, first year really flew by, lets hope the 2nd year be the same.

It does mate In fact I think it goes faster