British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   It's been a while, -so here's an update! (quite long) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/its-been-while-so-heres-update-quite-long-544339/)

Jamiem Jun 21st 2008 2:18 pm

It's been a while, -so here's an update! (quite long)

Hey guys,

It's been quite some time since I posted on here, -not sure how many familiar names are still here?!

Well, I've been here in WA now since September 2005, so it's not that long until my three year anniversary.

I came out here on my own, and although I have certainly experienced my fair share of ups and downs, I can honestly say that I have never been happier.

I was extraordinarily lucky, in that I immediate met some very special friends, with whom I am still in regular contact and have the pleasure of eating and getting drunk with on a regular basis :thumbsup:

I arrived in Perth with pretty much only a few sets of clothing, and my personal papers. However, I am now at the stage where, when it does come time to move house, it will be a real pain in the arse, because I have accumulated the usual bits and pieces.

As far as work was concerned, I was lucky enough to get a job after only a few weeks (albeit in a casual position) which allowed me to buy a beat up old Ford Falcon to get me from A to B (well, most of the time!). A couple of years down the line, that casual position was offered to me as a full time position, and I now have the luxury of a work vehicle.

I moved down to the south west at the beginning of this year, and now live and work down here in Margaret River full time. I also had my Citizenship ceremony down here on Australia Day, and consider to be one of the best days so far. I have met some extraordinary people who will be lifelong friends. Thank you to all of you.

I just wanted to post something, that showed it very often works out better than you could have hoped for, and that, although I have had the odd bump in the road here and there, I love my new life.

I hope at least some of you experience the same luck that I have.

Cheers,

J:D

blueballs Jun 21st 2008 3:38 pm

Re: It's been a while, -so here's an update! (quite long)

Originally Posted by Jamiem (Post 6489192)
Hey guys,

It's been quite some time since I posted on here, -not sure how many familiar names are still here?!

Well, I've been here in WA now since September 2005, so it's not that long until my three year anniversary.

I came out here on my own, and although I have certainly experienced my fair share of ups and downs, I can honestly say that I have never been happier.

I was extraordinarily lucky, in that I immediate met some very special friends, with whom I am still in regular contact and have the pleasure of eating and getting drunk with on a regular basis :thumbsup:

I arrived in Perth with pretty much only a few sets of clothing, and my personal papers. However, I am now at the stage where, when it does come time to move house, it will be a real pain in the arse, because I have accumulated the usual bits and pieces.

As far as work was concerned, I was lucky enough to get a job after only a few weeks (albeit in a casual position) which allowed me to buy a beat up old Ford Falcon to get me from A to B (well, most of the time!). A couple of years down the line, that casual position was offered to me as a full time position, and I now have the luxury of a work vehicle.

I moved down to the south west at the beginning of this year, and now live and work down here in Margaret River full time. I also had my Citizenship ceremony down here on Australia Day, and consider to be one of the best days so far. I have met some extraordinary people who will be lifelong friends. Thank you to all of you.

I just wanted to post something, that showed it very often works out better than you could have hoped for, and that, although I have had the odd bump in the road here and there, I love my new life.

I hope at least some of you experience the same luck that I have.

Cheers,

J:D

hi
glad to hear that things have worked out well for you.

scott

yanchep Jun 21st 2008 3:39 pm

Great post J,
Its good to have some positive feedback for all of us that are doing the same as you did nearly 3 years ago.

You sound like you have really enjoyed yourself along the way, hope this continues throughout all your time in australia.:thumbsup:

Nick Gill Jun 21st 2008 9:59 pm

Such a great post :D

Its a worrying time for most to start a new life anywhere and to read that its going well is just great

Hope it continues to go well for you

All the best

NG :)

Jamiem Jun 22nd 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks guys,

It has been a great journey, and, despite the inevitable dramas you experience along the way, I don't regret a single moment.

I hope it works out as well for you guys as it did for me.

p.s. No room in Marg's for any of you. We're full! ;-)

-You wouldn't like it anyway. Pretty unpleasant.

yanchep Jun 22nd 2008 3:23 pm

:rofl:;)

john& becky Jun 22nd 2008 7:43 pm

Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoy reading these updates, this one in particular was very uplifting. Thank you Jamie, brought a smile to my face and just hammers home the positive in a world full of negative.

Good Luck in all you attempt, from me and mine.

John:thumbsup:

Jamiem Jun 23rd 2008 11:30 am

Originally Posted by john& becky (Post 6492713)
Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoy reading these updates, this one in particular was very uplifting. Thank you Jamie, brought a smile to my face and just hammers home the positive in a world full of negative.

Good Luck in all you attempt, from me and mine.

John:thumbsup:

Thank you John and Becky,

I wish you the very best of luck. Don't get me wrong, my life has not been all honey and flowers! -I doubt if anyone's has, not if they were to be truthful. However, I've always tried (not always successfully, I must add) to keep smiling. However bad thing sometime may seem, those times will help you more than you know. -For when the good times come around, they will seem better than ever.

Please do feel free to let me know if there's anything I can help with at any stage in your journey -however trivial it may seem.

All the best,

J

john& becky Jun 23rd 2008 7:20 pm

Well if you need a 3 bed house in West Sussex.................:rofl:

boredbrit Jun 24th 2008 10:37 pm

Best of luck Jamie x

boredbrit Jun 24th 2008 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by john& becky (Post 6496109)

Where in WSX are you? Scary isn't it? My mortgage is going to go up by £300 at the mo, what will it be by Dec when we have to remortgage?

john& becky Jun 25th 2008 3:41 pm

We live up by the Surrey border, between Guildford and Horsham.

I can cope with the Vetassess and the Visa application because its me that has to do the work, but I cant make someone come and buy the house.

Jamiem Jun 26th 2008 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by john& becky (Post 6496109)

Sorry John and Becky. -I'm not that helpful, despite the drop in UK property prices! Best of luck :thumbup:

claire doyle Jul 5th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jamiem (Post 6505497)
Sorry John and Becky. -I'm not that helpful, despite the drop in UK property prices! Best of luck :thumbup:

Dont let selling houses stop you! We nearly didnt come 11 years ago because our house sale fell through but ended up renting it out and still do to this day. If you arrive here and rent it makes you much more flexible and you dont have to worry about being stuck in a town you may not like. Maybe in the future you will end up having a house here and in the UK. You could then sell later when you do settle and want to buy something.

sunflower7 Jul 5th 2008 10:23 pm

Nice one Jamie. :thumbsup:
Great to read such a positive post. Helps fill up my already half full glass. ..
Yeah I went to M.River - it was sooo awful. ;) Good on ya.