Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsville

Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsville

Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsvill

hi sounds really good in townsville. do you know what the job prospects for a carpenter would be like? and what is the average rent their?
great post thanks
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all
Default Re: Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsvill

Hey mate, sorry for the late reply. As far as I no job prospects are pretty good in Townsville at the moment, I saw some jobs adverts earlier in the week looking for qualified carpenters on Townsville Jobs Central. Last week lots of tower cranes went up at the hospital, so I can only imagine there is a few years worth of work here alone.

Last edited by Scot_expat; Mar 1st 2013 at 3:39 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Hell,i'm moving to Townsville,i love cranes !!!!!!
you cant though your over 40......
'een about 3 years since we moved from Edinburgh to Townsville, we chose Townsville because it was the largest city in the entire northern half of Australia with it also have one of the youngest populations in Australia (under 40's)',

The post has me intrigued though, i must visit it one day. and perv at all the young guys......

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 2nd 2013 at 2:25 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
you cant though your over 40......
Made me laugh - I was showing a friend a photo of him the other day and she said Nooo, he's too young for me, he's only about 30
Perhaps he would fit in up in Townsville
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Made me laugh - I was showing a friend a photo of him the other day and she said Nooo, he's too young for me, he's only about 30
Perhaps he would fit in up in Townsville
lets hope you dont need I.D
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
lets hope you dont need I.D
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

It is a very positive post...but then again I could effuse greatly about where I live too, stats are great when you use them to your advantage, although I didn't like the bad ones they showed:
"Where we did poorly
Average number of students per school - 29th
Crime - 27th"
High crime rates usually mean that the growth is not taking care of its poorest citizens or managing welfare very well. You can't keep building over compost heaps, eventually you have to sort them out!
But...no one likes to admit they live in a crap town by choice do they !!
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:42 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
It is a very positive post...but then again I could effuse greatly about where I live too, stats are great when you use them to your advantage, although I didn't like the bad ones they showed:
"Where we did poorly
Average number of students per school - 29th
Crime - 27th"
High crime rates usually mean that the growth is not taking care of its poorest citizens or managing welfare very well. You can't keep building over compost heaps, eventually you have to sort them out!
But...no one likes to admit they live in a crap town by choice do they !!
You could also try sticking "Townsville floods" into Google and see what that comes up with. There are plenty of years to choose from.

T-shirt anybody?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Mar 16th 2013 at 2:45 am.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point

hi scot expat, thanks for reply and pics.
sorry for delay in replying back been well busy, well i am coming this week and landing in brisbane, and i will make my way up to townsville some months later.
cant wait
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

Hey man, good luck! I hope everything works out for you and you find what you're looking for. Drop me a line if you need any more assistance.

My sister sent me a pic from down at varsity lakes on the Gold Coast, looks equally beautiful down there at the moment.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You could also try sticking "Townsville floods" into Google and see what that comes up with. There are plenty of years to choose from.
Google Brisbane floods, Albury floods, Ballina floods... any city on the east coast but what is your point? we are all prone to what nature throws at us. If you're saying Townsville is constantly flood affected then you're wrong, the median average of floods is no different to any city in Aus, in fact probably less. The floods you Google about, are from recent rare events that affected Queensland as an entirety.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:24 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Scot_expat
Google Brisbane floods, Albury floods, Ballina floods... any city on the east coast but what is your point? we are all prone to what nature throws at us. If you're saying Townsville is constantly flood affected then you're wrong, the median average of floods is no different to any city in Aus, in fact probably less. The floods you Google about, are from recent rare events that affected Queensland as an entirety.
Townsville is more likely to suffer damage from cyclones than floods. Not necessarily a reason to avoid the place, but its something people should be aware of, and should plan for in advance, much the same as if you live in a bushfire area.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Actually I find it ironic that since someone mentioned floods, this appears on the radar with a chance of it turning back into a cyclone. Jinx us much... wet week ahead :/

Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scot_expat
I live in Shellharbour, about 40k South of Wollongong and slap bang on the coast. Feel free to post links to all the floods we have suffered in, lets say, the last decade.

You're promoting Townsville more than the Townsville Tourist Board so you can expect to take a bit of ribbing about it.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Well it is quite obvious that not every single township on the east coast will suffer from flooding, however generally speaking vast majority do, during that November to February period due to excessive or above average rainfull that effects allot of eastern Australia thanks largely to the "el-nino" weather system that hampered Australia over the last few years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.