British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsville (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/interesting-not-what-i-expecting-transition-edinburgh-townsville-781731/)

Scot_expat Dec 28th 2012 6:26 am

Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsville

Hi all,

Been about 3 years since we moved from Edinburgh to Townsville, we chose Townsville because it was the largest city in the entire northern half of Australia with it also have one of the youngest populations in Australia (under 40's), we also chose Townsville because we had relatives here. But wow, aha what a lifestyle and what a pro-active city! I had never envisaged myself living here so long (thought i'd end up in Brisbane) I visited Townsville in early 2000 when my brother and his family lived here but it was allot quieter and less active.

I guess in 2012 it hasn't been overlooked anymore and has been discovered! for anyone looking for an affordable place to live, work or an investment, Townsville probably is the only choice in regional Australia. We're looking to invest and found it is allot bigger then its rival Cairns and Darwin. In fact Townsville has been very good to us, sure has come along way in a short amount of time. Everywhere you look there is some form of construction, many new cranes dot the skyline, new motorways and infrastructure even new shopping centers and department stores.

But the big ticket items are what had drawn us, such a stable economy (when compared to Darwin, Cairns and any other regional city in any state in Australia) there sure is allot of disposable cash due to very high incomes (expect to see a Lambo, Bentley's, Audi r8's daily). We were expecting a dust bowl (agreed in summer in can be) but what we got was a lifestyle like no other anywhere in the world, it is a city on the rise and the reason for it is because of the broad diverse range of industries here (defense, apparently one of the best universities in the world, FIFO, mining, agriculture, engineering facilities, aerospace industries, one of the biggest hospitals in Australia, marine industry ((reef)) and the port, from the top of my head) with so much positive energy, it's as if you can feel the city moving forward everyday. The waterfront is dubbed the best in Queensland, very very beautiful along with its rivers (riverway) and islands just off the coastline. It also hosts national sporting teams and V8 Supercar events. No other regional city under 500,000 has so much to offer in Australia, it's backed up by the federal treasure 'Wayne Swan' and 'Bernard Salt' Australia's leading demographer. "Townsville is a picture of exactly the kind of diverse, dynamic regional economy that will power Australia's passage through the years ahead - Treasurer Wayne Swan". Townsville is unlike any other city in Australia. No city of comparable size has quite the connection into the future prosperity of the Australian nation as does Townsville. Townsville's next phase of growth is likely to accrue the critical mass in population to transform from regional centre to a metropolitan centre. 'Bernard Salt' Australia's leading demographer.

The only real negatives are that it is very hot year round, but you'll find the price of living is allot cheaper then say Darwin, Darwin is landlocked so the prices are allot higher for both real estate and food. I also don't think it offer's the lifestyle and growth that Townsville does.

If anyone is looking for a place to invest, Townsville really is booming and say get in quick! I wouldn't over look it and I'd expect a great return on my investment - I remember when I first moved here some 200+ units in a development on the waterfront (the Strand) sold out completely in less than 24 hours.

Great place, extremely good and prosperous future, great infrastructure with a lifestyle the rest of the world envies. The best move I ever made to one of Australia's best regional cities.

Couldn't be happier!

Scot_expat Dec 29th 2012 6:18 am

Re: Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsvill

If cranes are a sign of mass investment and city growth then there a no shortage of them in Townsville. Noticed these photos on a photo sharing site called Flickr, really highlights the transformation and growth within Townsville.

What was interesting is, that none of these developments are for apartments... cool!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7132/8...2352c088_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8...3bf6dbbb_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8362/8...7c20063e_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8...acc21140_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8...aefbec7c_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8...258db17c_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8491/8...7bf08520_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8498/8...6f001678_c.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...P8220124-1.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...l/P8220119.jpg

SOURCE

Still Game Dec 29th 2012 12:06 pm

Re: Interesting (not what I was expecting) the transition from Edinburgh to Townsvill

Nice post... but don't you miss a cold Christmas, the German Markets on Princes St, Glühwein and ducking in and out of warm pubs for a nip with friends at this time of year in Edinburgh? ;-)

Best of luck to you

Scot_expat Jan 1st 2013 6:55 am

I'd give all that up for economic prosperity and a better life, somewhere I can have a nest egg, earn big then holiday back in the UK.

Still Game Jan 1st 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Scot_expat (Post 10457898)
I'd give all that up for economic prosperity and a better life, somewhere I can have a nest egg, earn big then holiday back in the UK.

And being on holiday in Edinburgh over Christmas time is the best!:D

Sherlock Holmes Jan 1st 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Scot_expat (Post 10457898)

Nice update. Glad it suits you. :thumbsup:

Scot_expat Jan 3rd 2013 11:54 am

Guys have a look at this recorded/uploaded only two days ago, a very unbiased opinion from someone who has never stepped foot in Townsville before. (excuse the down to earth Australian who is filming it). Townsville 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RqcPWVrxfM

Bernieboy Jan 3rd 2013 6:22 pm

Hell,i'm moving to Townsville,i love cranes !!!!!!

Scot_expat Jan 15th 2013 12:26 pm

Also, thought this is worth the mention for anyone who may stumble across this thread who is researching on whether or not to move to Townsville.

Townsville is thriving because every segment of the economy is enjoying positive growth. Here is a common scenario: The person who works in the mines and resources sector flies back in to Town and buys a new audio visual package. That salesperson earns better money because of the increased trade and buys a new car. The person who sold the car then in turn has more liquid funds and often spends it locally perpetuating this prosperous cycle. This level of organic growth means Townsville is heavily under the microscope from investors and businesses. The local economy and population figures for the region give great confidence when evaluating a potential market. During the worst financial crisis the world has ever seen, Townsville property prices grew by 2.1% This is a great indicator that our own micro-economy draws its strength from diversity and is much more robust then many regions within Australia. Australia has weathered the financial storm quite well as a country, Townsville has had reduced growth but growth during these conditions is the best demonstration of fiscal stability.

Townsville is not only a great place to do business, it offers a high quality of life. Beautiful sunny weather and a fantastic community filled with world class activities and infrastructure.

Information and Some interesting facts about the Townsville region:

Townsville is the largest tropical city in Australia, it is also has the largest population north of SEQ/the entire northern section of Australia (from QLD, all the way through NT and WA).
Townsville offers more then 300 days of sunlight a year.
We have three vast catchment areas that provide an ample supply of water year round.
Townsville is a gateway to The West yet boasts Magnetic Island and The Great Barrier Reef on its doorstep.
It is surrounded by natural features, magnificent waterways and top fishing spots.
Townsville is home to the largest big box retail complex in Australia. (i.e Harvey Norman / Rubelli Furniture / Bunnings and many others)
It is the commerce hub for the region. Boasting a thriving economy driven by three separate factors:
Huge resources and mining boom that is driven out of Townsville, largely due to its Port and major rail infrastructure.
All sections of the military are based here with over 15,000 personnel locally. Combined with over 15,000 students at the James Cook University.
Providing housing for this massive influx of people is driving unprecedented property growth. As a flow on effect tradespeople and contractors from all over Australia are coming to work in Townsville.

AdamL Jan 15th 2013 6:25 pm

Great post... Hadn't considered Townsville until now ... Your fab marketing has played a part! :thumbup:

Scot_expat Jan 16th 2013 1:09 am

Glad you enjoyed it, here was a great story featured in the local newspaper today:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...endly-wide.jpg
JUST GREAT: Pippa and Gavin Costello with Noah, 3, who have just moved to Townsville and are already enjoying the family life | Photo: EVAN MORGAN

City more liveable than Cairns, Brisbane
EMILY MACDONALD | January 16th, 2013 | LINK

TOWNSVILLE has been named the 16th most family-friendly city in Australia beating places including Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns. Mayor Jenny Hill, however, believes the data is skewed and in reality far more people would prefer to live in Townsville than in the number one rated city of Launceston.

The Suncorp Bank Family Friendly Index took the country's 30 most populated cities and used a range of measures including health, crime, education and unemployment to rank them. With unemployment at just 3.2 per cent, Townsville has the fourth lowest rate for a city in Australia. However, with a rate of 12,768 crimes per 100,000 people, it was ranked as the fourth worst city in terms of safety.

The Costello family only moved to Townsville from Brisbane on Sunday and parents Pippa and Gavin and their son Noah, 3, are already loving the lifestyle. Sergeant Costello is in the Army and was posted to Townsville's 3rd Combat Engineer Regiment and he has spent the past couple of days exploring his new home. "We love it here. We had a good drive around yesterday, checked out our new house in Kirwan, went to Willows and drove up Castle Hill to have a good look at the city," he said. "Everything is really accessible and easy to get to. The water park is a great family friendly place - it's free family fun."

Suncorp Bank Executive Manager Craig Fenwick said increasingly the larger, stressful cities and under-serviced Eastern seaboard capitals were being upstaged by regional cities like Townsville. "The results reveal for the first time that many regional cities have a better balance of job opportunities, housing affordability, income, school sizes, health services, broadband access and lower crime rates," Mr Fenwick said. "This is the ideal mix for families when it comes to some of the fundamentals, and they're certainly showing up our international hubs like Sydney and Melbourne, which fall short on many of these measures. "It's often the state capitals of Australia that win international acclaim in lifestyle and liveability surveys, but our survey bucks this trend.

Cr Hill said much of the data in the survey was not representative of Townsville's true standing as the best place for families to live. "In reality, we are No.1. There are far more people moving to Townsville than there would be to Launceston," he said. "For example, I thought the weighting for education was very poor because all they did was calculate the number of schools in the region and divide it by the number of children - it doesn't describe the quality of education."

Top Family Friendly Cities

1. Launceston
2. Canberra
3. Toowoomba
14. Melbourne
16. Townsville
23. Sydney
24. Brisbane
27. Cairns
28. Gold Coast

Where we did well
Doctors per capita - 3rd
Unemployment rate - 4th
Childcare - 8th

Where we did poorly
Average number of students per school - 29th
Crime - 27th
Volunteers - 20th

Some nice comments too:

Townsville is the perfect place to raise young families. Overall it has an appeal that suits certain lifestyles. But we must not become too complacent and turn our wonderful area and lifestyle into another Brisbane or Sydney in future years. Crime is and has been an issue, the same as other parts of the country and Townsville is no different. Townsville and the surrounding area are leaving Cairns for dead as it is becoming a fractured city with very little work and tourist numbers dropping. The place is a rip off. The strand, shopping and sporting facilities cater for everyone. The facilities we all enjoy are far better then other places.Yes we have issues, but compared to other area’s we really don’t have a problem.

Posted by: Bundy of FNQ 4:26am today

I love it up here it's. hidden secret and only going to get better. Well done to those who believed and invested in this great city of ours time will show it will pay big dividend.

Posted by: Pat of Townsville 8:24am today

We've lived all over Queensland, and indeed Australia, and chose to bring our famly here and make this our home town. Regardless of its faults (all places have them mind you) Townsville IS one of the best places to bring up kids and have a great standard of living. Big enough to be a city with all the creature comforts, but small enough that you don't have to battle traffic and drive for ages to get anywhere. Apart from the juvenile crime (which is worse than anywhere else we've lived) Townsville is one of the most pleasant, vibrant and wondeful places to live in this country. We love it!

Posted by: Me of Tville 8:05am today

Scot_expat Jan 16th 2013 1:16 am

Also, according to this article, Townsville is on record to reach a population of 200,000 between now and March with a population of 196,219 late last year.

bingobob777 Jan 17th 2013 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Scot_expat (Post 10483963)
Also, thought this is worth the mention for anyone who may stumble across this thread who is researching on whether or not to move to Townsville.

Townsville is thriving because every segment of the economy is enjoying positive growth. Here is a common scenario: The person who works in the mines and resources sector flies back in to Town and buys a new audio visual package. That salesperson earns better money because of the increased trade and buys a new car. The person who sold the car then in turn has more liquid funds and often spends it locally perpetuating this prosperous cycle. This level of organic growth means Townsville is heavily under the microscope from investors and businesses. The local economy and population figures for the region give great confidence when evaluating a potential market. During the worst financial crisis the world has ever seen, Townsville property prices grew by 2.1% This is a great indicator that our own micro-economy draws its strength from diversity and is much more robust then many regions within Australia. Australia has weathered the financial storm quite well as a country, Townsville has had reduced growth but growth during these conditions is the best demonstration of fiscal stability.

Townsville is not only a great place to do business, it offers a high quality of life. Beautiful sunny weather and a fantastic community filled with world class activities and infrastructure.

Information and Some interesting facts about the Townsville region:

Townsville is the largest tropical city in Australia, it is also has the largest population north of SEQ/the entire northern section of Australia (from QLD, all the way through NT and WA).
Townsville offers more then 300 days of sunlight a year.
We have three vast catchment areas that provide an ample supply of water year round.
Townsville is a gateway to The West yet boasts Magnetic Island and The Great Barrier Reef on its doorstep.
It is surrounded by natural features, magnificent waterways and top fishing spots.
Townsville is home to the largest big box retail complex in Australia. (i.e Harvey Norman / Rubelli Furniture / Bunnings and many others)
It is the commerce hub for the region. Boasting a thriving economy driven by three separate factors:
Huge resources and mining boom that is driven out of Townsville, largely due to its Port and major rail infrastructure.
All sections of the military are based here with over 15,000 personnel locally. Combined with over 15,000 students at the James Cook University.
Providing housing for this massive influx of people is driving unprecedented property growth. As a flow on effect tradespeople and contractors from all over Australia are coming to work in Townsville.

That's all well and good, but you do realise that once person a in the resources sectore gets laid off because he costs 5 times as much as the bloke in Africa the whole thing falls to apart?

Having water is given in most civilised countries, the fact you mention it as an advantage is worrying.

How can a city on the coast be a gateway to the west anymore than cairns, Rockie or Brisbane :confused:

Having a large number of military is usually a disadvantage.

Townsville is ideal for the average Ozzie, but for anyone who's ever lived in a City in Europe, it's hell :amen:

Scot_expat Jan 17th 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 10488839)
That's all well and good, but you do realise that once person a in the resources sectore gets laid off because he costs 5 times as much as the bloke in Africa the whole thing falls to apart?

Well no, I think you missed my point. That was used as an example, that is the good thing about Townsville, it isn't reliant on one industry to keep the place moving forward.

Having water is given in most civilised countries, the fact you mention it as an advantage is worrying.

Well compared to other cities across the country, it is a bonus that Townsville doesn't have any restrictions any more due to the abundance of water - which is more the point.

How can a city on the coast be a gateway to the west anymore than cairns, Rockie or Brisbane :confused:

Because of the connection Townsville has to the western cities, it is much more prevalent here than any other cities on the eastern coast due to the staggering trade between the western towns (Mount Isa) and Townsville.

Having a large number of military is usually a disadvantage.

They're all generally great to get along with.

Townsville is ideal for the average Ozzie, but for anyone who's ever lived in a City in Europe, it's hell :amen:

Well not true, after looking at the ABS figures 20.1% were born overseas, that would equate to some 40,000 people. That number would be even greater given the high number of international students who choose Townsville and James Cook university over other institutes and cities in Australia. Townsville obviously isn't for all, but it seems to be coming of age and turning from a regional town into a metropolitan city. Time for you to take off your rose tinted glasses and experience what the North has to offer in 2013...

ectomorph Jan 17th 2013 10:36 pm

Hi scot_expat,

Great promo of Townsville. My family and I moved here in October after living on the outskirts of Melbourne for 5 years and are in no doubt we made the right move. As you say it has everything that a big city has but is still accessible and affordable plus great weather. Its definitely a place on the move in terms of growth and expansion. Hope I feel the same after 3 years as you do!

:thumbsup:

@ectomorph