Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

I wish I had thought longer and harder!

I wish I had thought longer and harder!

Old May 3rd 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all
Unhappy I wish I had thought longer and harder!

My boyfriend and I decided to come to Australia for several different reasons, the main one being we both wanted a change from our lifestyle in Ireland. I really wanted to give Australia a chance and before I came here I planned on staying here long term.

We landed in Sydney in July 2008. We then drove up the east coast, over the top end and down the west coast to Perth(fantastic adventure). Knowing what I now know though I would have settled in Queensland, not Perth.

We have been in Perth since the beginning of October 2008. I am living for the day when I can go back to Ireland permanently.

I was so naive to think that life would be better just because I was in a hot country. It is lovely to see blue skies everyday but the heat is so tedious - nothing will prepare you for that. It's fine when on holidays but when you need to work outside of an air conditioned environment...good luck!!!

The beach is lovely but if I spend longer than an hour there I can nearly hear my skin sizzling and what then..?? The pub? Boring!!!

We have tried to integrate ourselves into a Perth social life however the only friends that we have met are an english couple(who also feel that it is quite difficult to make friends with the Perth people). We know one couple from Australia who's main aim is to get as drunk as possible as quick as possible. Don't get me wrong - We are Irish and don't mind a drink or three but it really does get boring after a while. I have made friends in all of my workplaces in Ireland and it has been my experience in Australia that they do not want to know you outside of the work environment.

My boyfriend and I both have good jobs and we live in a nice area.
We recently got a new puppy - Murphy - and he has made me a lot happier. He also keeps me company when my boyfriend goes up to the mines. My boyfriend is getting experience in his career that he could not possibly get back in Ireland and we have both agreed that he should stay in his job for at least two years. He would happily stay here longer as he does not have the same attachment to Ireland as I do.

I often think about how I will feel when I land in Dublin airport and walk out the front exit, hail a taxi and go see my mum and dad.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

annette5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I wish I had thought longer and harder!

Hello,

Thankyou for your post, I think it is always good to hear all opinions of their life in oz.

I am still excited to get there because as you stated you travelled all around oz, .......would you have done that if not for your move???? so no regrets......you have had a life experience and i am so jealous!!!!!

Thankyou again and I hope you find and get what you want.

Annette
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Queensland would probably have been better for you as its on the East Coast and nearer to other places to visit etc.

I do not like the heat and that is why we live in Melbourne although it can get hot in the summer and this summer has been different to most summers in the fact that we had a heat wave, mostly its only a day at a time and then a cool change. Spring autumn and winter are great here.

It is hard to make friends and of course culturally its a different life as well. However there are lots of lovely Australian people to make friends with. Yesterday I went to my neighbour's who was having a family party and there was no booze at all but everyone had a lovely time. We drink socially but there was no need yesterday.

Work is not always the best place to make friends although I have friends I made at work but they are few. Clubs, joining in a sporting club, soccer club as a social member you get to meet a lot of like minded people and friendships are formed. My son belongs to his local AFL club and was the treasurer but he does not play AFL, he plays baseball. However its a way to meet people. He moved to a country town knowing no-one and made lots of good friends through clubs.

Don't write it off just yet, have to say though as a couple often people will not approach, as a single person on your own they will. So perhaps use the time while your partner is in the mines to get out alone to clubs and things. Do not refuse an invite.

Good luck

PS when I say get out to clubs I do not mean night clubs on your own lol
Old May 4th 2009, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annette5
Hello,

Thankyou for your post, I think it is always good to hear all opinions of their life in oz.

I am still excited to get there because as you stated you travelled all around oz, .......would you have done that if not for your move???? so no regrets......you have had a life experience and i am so jealous!!!!!

Thankyou again and I hope you find and get what you want.

Annette
Hello Annette,

I had such a great time travelling around and would not take that back for anything. We met great people and saw great places. There is lots more to see which we hope to do before we leave for home.
I am even a little bit glad that I am living here because it will make me appreciate home all the more when I get there.

If I could somehow have my family over here then I think that I would have no problems staying however that is not possible.
It's my family that I miss the most and unfortunately no amount of new friends etc is going to change that.
I am missing out on years of my family's life that I can never get back. My parents are growing older and my nieces and nephew are growing up and I am missing it all.

I thought when I came out that it would be like one long holiday but unfortunately the same problems exist here as at home.

Moving here was a very exciting time for me but when everything settled and the excitement wore off I realised that my life is in Ireland.
So now I am biding my time until I can go home. I have booked a flight to Dublin in July and will be at home for 2 weeks - hopefully that may help me get through the rest of the year.

I am lucky that my boyfriend understands how I feel and has agreed to go home in a year and a half.

Anyway, good luck with your move and enjoy the excitement.
Lorraine.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Petals
Queensland would probably have been better for you as its on the East Coast and nearer to other places to visit etc.

I do not like the heat and that is why we live in Melbourne although it can get hot in the summer and this summer has been different to most summers in the fact that we had a heat wave, mostly its only a day at a time and then a cool change. Spring autumn and winter are great here.

It is hard to make friends and of course culturally its a different life as well. However there are lots of lovely Australian people to make friends with. Yesterday I went to my neighbour's who was having a family party and there was no booze at all but everyone had a lovely time. We drink socially but there was no need yesterday.

Work is not always the best place to make friends although I have friends I made at work but they are few. Clubs, joining in a sporting club, soccer club as a social member you get to meet a lot of like minded people and friendships are formed. My son belongs to his local AFL club and was the treasurer but he does not play AFL, he plays baseball. However its a way to meet people. He moved to a country town knowing no-one and made lots of good friends through clubs.

Don't write it off just yet, have to say though as a couple often people will not approach, as a single person on your own they will. So perhaps use the time while your partner is in the mines to get out alone to clubs and things. Do not refuse an invite.

Good luck

PS when I say get out to clubs I do not mean night clubs on your own lol
Hello Petals,

Thank you for your post.

I can't wait to experience Autumn and Spring and a proper Winter again!! Bring it on!!!
Maybe I need to go to Melbourne for a mini break....!!!

Anyway gotta stop typing and go get ready for work!!!

Thanks again,
Lorraine.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hey Lorraine

Maybe when you come back in July you might see things in a different light and not want to move back to Ireland at all. Things are pretty bad here and look set to get a lot worse. Missing family is the main reason i can see people move back for. But in time if you can get over it things will be better.

I have friends who moved to Melbourne and they were real close to their family but have been there two years now and would never move back. But they did say the first year was a killer.

Maybe if you think Queensland would be better for you why dont you look into moving if you can.

Any way good luck and enjoy your trip home

Paddy
Old May 5th 2009, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Hi there - sorry you are so down. But you got lots of options.

Move like Paddy said - give somewhere else a try over there - if that what you think it right for you.

We are also heading back to Ireland for 2 weeks end of July - I love visiting but don't intend to go back on permanent basis for several years if ever. (We've been here in Dubai for 4 years) Ireland has changed a lot in the last 4 years even - We were there last August and all our friends were so depressed - worrying about their jobs/ mortgages etc. and by all accounts it gets worse and worse - I get weekly updates from the family. Several of our friends have lost their jobs and the ones working for themselves are just hanging in by a thread.

Now you young and no Kids(i think) so you should get out there take up a new hobby (before the kids come along!!)while you have the chance.

Organise a BBQ in the park - ask everyone you know and get them to bring along their friends - then you get to met new people.

LOL
Old May 5th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you are not happy.
Where in perth are you?
Theres a lot more to do in Perth, if you look a bit deeper, and why not arrange to meet up with others on here to make some more friends?
Old May 8th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bailey1
My boyfriend and I decided to come to Australia for several different reasons, the main one being we both wanted a change from our lifestyle in Ireland. I really wanted to give Australia a chance and before I came here I planned on staying here long term.

We landed in Sydney in July 2008. We then drove up the east coast, over the top end and down the west coast to Perth(fantastic adventure). Knowing what I now know though I would have settled in Queensland, not Perth.

We have been in Perth since the beginning of October 2008. I am living for the day when I can go back to Ireland permanently.

I was so naive to think that life would be better just because I was in a hot country. It is lovely to see blue skies everyday but the heat is so tedious - nothing will prepare you for that. It's fine when on holidays but when you need to work outside of an air conditioned environment...good luck!!!

The beach is lovely but if I spend longer than an hour there I can nearly hear my skin sizzling and what then..?? The pub? Boring!!!

We have tried to integrate ourselves into a Perth social life however the only friends that we have met are an english couple(who also feel that it is quite difficult to make friends with the Perth people). We know one couple from Australia who's main aim is to get as drunk as possible as quick as possible. Don't get me wrong - We are Irish and don't mind a drink or three but it really does get boring after a while. I have made friends in all of my workplaces in Ireland and it has been my experience in Australia that they do not want to know you outside of the work environment.

We recently got a new puppy - Murphy - and he has made me a lot happier. He also keeps me company when my boyfriend goes up to the mines. My boyfriend is getting experience in his career that he could not possibly get back in Ireland and we have both agreed that he should stay in his job for at least two years. He would happily stay here longer as he does not have the same attachment to Ireland as I do.

I often think about how I will feel when I land in Dublin airport and walk out the front exit, hail a taxi and go see my mum and dad.

Mmmm... feel for you as it seems you're torn between staying for your boyfriend's sake or going back home...

It's never nice to feel like you're in between two things, emotionally specially...

You need to seriously think what would you be doing if you went back...Are you sure you'll fall back into the daily life over there?

Nothing stays the same...Just our memories of places/people and things...

Don't erase the memories but don't rely on them either...Or you may get a distorted view of what is like right now...

I think you should put your plans on hold for two years...That's it,decided you'll not going to think about going back or mention it in the next two years...

After that, review the situation...

I take it you guys can't move away from Perth because of the job?

That's tough,...Job propects sometimes dictates where one ends up...

Make a rule of trying to get a job in Queensland...Make that your objective...You'll soon forget homesickness!

Good luck to you
Old May 8th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bailey1

Hello,
Yes it is hard to be away from family and friends..my oh and I have family in uk, kids and grandkids and also kids and grandkids here and we always think of what we are missing grandkids growing up etc, but we choose to live in aus for lifestyle, we love being outdoors bbq,beach ( and like you after an hour i burn) so i have learned to slip slop slap and cover up!! we have just bought a tent and are looking forward to our first trip at the end of this month..we find things to do on weekends, even if its just a drive to the hills etc..we spent time in uk last year and there are things we miss not just family, but then there are things here that we missed while in the uk. I was very homesick for aus while we were in the uk ( have lived here for over 30 years) we all get homesick at sometime especially when it comes to family, hopefully BE can help you make some friends, wishing you happy times