I miss the cheese....

Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future
Default Re: I miss the cheese....

i really miss the beach huts,wind breaks and stripy deck chairs,not!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by moneypen20
We were decidedly landlocked in the UK and had a two hour drive to either Brighton (and surroundings) or Southend. Neither of them filled me with longing and a need to visit. Here I live five minutes from the most stunning beaches and I love them.

Saying that, it's not the beach that does it for me, it's watching the ocean and I don't care what you think of the beaches - watching the Coral Sea against watching the English Channel or North Sea, there is simply no comparison. I never particularly wanted to go down to the sea in the UK, here I need to see it every day.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Joolz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Cheers me dear...

Pasties are the bestest thing to come outta cornwall - except Jethro!!
Yeah I expect pasties are gonna be the main thing I miss when I move over - I really ought to learn how to make some proper! Still I should be moving back to Cornwall come November so I'll try and get my fill before the big move!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joolz
Yeah I expect pasties are gonna be the main thing I miss when I move over - I really ought to learn how to make some proper! Still I should be moving back to Cornwall come November so I'll try and get my fill before the big move!
You can get pasties here. They're quite common but they're called parsties
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Joolz will become famous soon enough

Are they proper pasties? I had one in Canterbury (Kent not NZ) and it filled was some kind of meat paste... "Eurgh!!"
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:44 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
You can get pasties here. They're quite common but they're called parsties
Yea but they're not proper!!!! They're full of gunge like the pies over here!!! I think that's why they call them Parrsties.. bloody colonials!!

Joolz - the link on the previous page has some good pasty recipes on... and they're pretty easy to make... and taste so much better than shop bought rubbish ones over here!!

I think 2moro will be pasty making day for me! I'll let you know how they turn out...

Sonic xx
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Yea but they're not proper!!!! They're full of gunge like the pies over here!!! I think that's why they call them Parrsties.. bloody colonials!!

Joolz - the link on the previous page has some good pasty recipes on... and they're pretty easy to make... and taste so much better than shop bought rubbish ones over here!!

I think 2moro will be pasty making day for me! I'll let you know how they turn out...

Sonic xx
Back away slowly kids. Wave and smile.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Joolz
Are they proper pasties? I had one in Canterbury (Kent not NZ) and it filled was some kind of meat paste... "Eurgh!!"
Must admit the ones I've had here have been fine (as well as the pies). Worst pasties I've had were in England but some of the best were also in England (and Wales). I had a nice bridie (sp?) in Scotland once but I assume that it's possible to get a bad one. The most consistently rubbish pies I've ever had are those that come from pie and mash shops in London.

Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:14 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Back away slowly kids. Wave and smile.
Huuurrrrumph.....
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

buckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the rough

Hi sonicbird, ill take Cornwall with both hands any time of the year, no worries!!
Cant comment on Bournemouth though, cant recall ever going there..
Gotta agree about the pasties, very much on my favourite list of foods! Not only that but I havent found fish and chips like back home either, lashings of vinegar, salt and pepper...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Hi moneypen20, if it helps I dont care what you think either
Na..........each to their own if you love the beaches here, good for you there just not for me.............

I think the pies are alright in this country, it all depends on where you get them from. Stop at a gas station and pick one up from the heaters on the counter, then you might end up with something even the dog wouldnt eat!! The ones Ive bought from the supermarket are not bad at all, also ones from the cafes are good too!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by buckinghamshire lass
What can only, in my opinion, be described as cheese is lacking over this part of the world...(unless your listening to the radio or Aussie TV!!)

I have lived in Australia for the past 18 months and since being here I must say I prefer our god ol' UK beach scene....

I would give up the white sand and blue sea in Australia anyday for a stroll on Blackpool beach or South End. Dont know about you but I loved the beachs...pepples and all, the arcades with old ladies sitting playing bingo and the loud muisc that trailed the streets from the machines, I miss the markets and crappy souvenier shops, the food stalls some filled with mussels, others hot dog and fish and chip vans etc.... I miss the piers, the rollercoaster rides, stalls of candy floss and toffee apples, I miss the dingy pubs dotted around the high streets that carried a sense of pheonix nights. I often would take my dog to the beach, have a stroll up and down, stop for something to eat and a pint and return home after a great day. Since being in Australia my love of the beach has changed. Although their beaches are clean, the sand is white and the sea is blue, it doesnt do much for me. Its tough to find a doggy beach for starters and once were there were gone again in an hour as I say theres not much to do....
When I asked an Aussie why there beaches were boring, I was told....well its too cold in the UK to swim so you obviously need other entertainment! Well for me who doesnt swim at all, didnt even get me 10 metres swimming certificate :embaressed_smile: does need other entertainment!!

I guess I miss the character of what a UK beach has to offer...........the cheese...........

Is it just me....or anyone else??

It's just you.

Not meaning to be rude here, just honest, if you think a deserted white white sand beach and clean blue water is "boring" because it doesnt have a pier or hotdog stand nearby etc, you dont understand what living in Australia is all about.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:08 am
Just Joined

buckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Vegemite
It's just you.

Not meaning to be rude here, just honest, if you think a deserted white white sand beach and clean blue water is "boring" because it doesnt have a pier or hotdog stand nearby etc, you dont understand what living in Australia is all about.
Got to agree there.................I honestly dont
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
It's just you.

Nope it's not just her, Took me about 5 years of being here before I got dead bored with clean empty beaches, I went back to one of the sleaziest cheesiest beaches/resorts in the UK two years back, in Rhyl, and I thought it was fantastic. full of life, and extremes. My Kids loved it too, and they had never seen a UK beach before.

I quite enjoy Surfers and St Kilda for that matter for the exact same reason, plenty to do around the beach.

I dont think I'm the kind of person that would look forward to a trip of 3,000 K's plus just to see the sun set on the west coast of Aus, at the very famous Cable beach, in fact I know I would find it dead boring, and not worth the effort. But thats just me... Oh and Buckinghamshire lass, plus a few others.

I beleive Manly is worth visiting for the same reasons as above, plenty to do around the beach. Way up there on my list of places to Visit.

PS: Buckinghamshirelass, you probably should get yourself down to Inner Melbourne asap, its probably the most "civilised" place to be in Aussie.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 1st 2007 at 11:32 am.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:41 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, have to say firstly that I don't miss the dirty, litter-strewen beaches, where you have to fight amongst the dog shit and hordes of people to find a spot to call yours for the day - like Blackpool or Rhyl (shudder)- and before I get shot down, I know there are some beautiful beaches in the UK.

BUT ..the beaches here are not all pristine stretches of white sand ...I've been to some wild beaches of surging water backed by rugged cliffs, secluded coves and yes...touristy beaches to keep the kids happy.

Please look around, and take in this land and coast that is so enviromentally vulnerable - simply because it so unique.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Well, have to say firstly that I don't miss the dirty, litter-strewen beaches, where you have to fight amongst the dog shit and hordes of people to find a spot to call yours for the day - like Blackpool or Rhyl (shudder)- and before I get shot down, I know there are some beautiful beaches in the UK.

BUT ..the beaches here are not all pristine stretches of white sand ...I've been to some wild beaches of surging water backed by rugged cliffs, secluded coves and yes...touristy beaches to keep the kids happy.

Please look around, and take in this land and coast that is so enviromentally vulnerable - simply because it so unique.
Ahh Weirdstone, your more of a LLandudno (sp) lady, Port Melbourne actually has buildings that look similar to Llandudno. Plus a very nice eating area next to the Ferry.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:53 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ahh Weirdstone, your more of a LLandudno (sp) lady, Port Melbourne actually has buildings that look similar to Llandudno. Plus a very nice eating area next to the Ferry.
Yes, been there ..

I'm more of a wild Cornish coastline person. One of my favourite beaches here in Victoria is Johanna Beach ...wows me every time I go there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.