I miss the cheese....

Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

buckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the rough
Red face I miss the cheese....

What can only, in my opinion, be described as cheese is lacking over this part of the world...(unless your listening to the radio or Aussie TV!!)

I have lived in Australia for the past 18 months and since being here I must say I prefer our god ol' UK beach scene....

I would give up the white sand and blue sea in Australia anyday for a stroll on Blackpool beach or South End. Dont know about you but I loved the beachs...pepples and all, the arcades with old ladies sitting playing bingo and the loud muisc that trailed the streets from the machines, I miss the markets and crappy souvenier shops, the food stalls some filled with mussels, others hot dog and fish and chip vans etc.... I miss the piers, the rollercoaster rides, stalls of candy floss and toffee apples, I miss the dingy pubs dotted around the high streets that carried a sense of pheonix nights. I often would take my dog to the beach, have a stroll up and down, stop for something to eat and a pint and return home after a great day. Since being in Australia my love of the beach has changed. Although their beaches are clean, the sand is white and the sea is blue, it doesnt do much for me. Its tough to find a doggy beach for starters and once were there were gone again in an hour as I say theres not much to do....
When I asked an Aussie why there beaches were boring, I was told....well its too cold in the UK to swim so you obviously need other entertainment! Well for me who doesnt swim at all, didnt even get me 10 metres swimming certificate :embaressed_smile: does need other entertainment!!

I guess I miss the character of what a UK beach has to offer...........the cheese...........

Is it just me....or anyone else??
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I miss the cheese....

I was going to suggest Cracker Barrel,, then I realised you didn't mean that sort of cheese
I don't miss the UK beach scene at all, but then I was never a great fan, I always found it way too noisy and tacky,, no offence!
I love the tranquility of the beaches here, makes me feel very calm and serene!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

UGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I was going to suggest Cracker Barrel,, then I realised you didn't mean that sort of cheese
I don't miss the UK beach scene at all, but then I was never a great fan, I always found it way too noisy and tacky,, no offence!
I love the tranquility of the beaches here, makes me feel very calm and serene!
give me australian beaches anyday!!!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:54 am
Just Joined

buckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the roughbuckinghamshire lass is a jewel in the rough

Ah come on I cant be the only Brit which has a soft spot for our beaches?
No offence taken about the tacky thing.....actually thats kinda what I mean by cheese....but I like it!!

Mmm Cracker Barrel...yeah like that cheese too. Also miss Red Leicester and the Edam isnt as nice......
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I actually love the fact that Aussie beaches do not come with entertainment etc. However, if we do want a beach with facilities, we have the wonderful St Kilda - pier (without the slot machines!) and Luna Park. Keeps the girls happy!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Not keen on any beach to be honest, too many memories of being bored to tears on our old family holidays and sand in the bum crack !

Not been to the gold coast in about 3 years, only ever go to the beach when we have visitors.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:53 am
Just Joined

nattyp will become famous soon enough

I think the beaches (and weather, when it's good) are the only thing I do prefer about Oz to England. Although I do appreciate the liking for the Brit seaside resorts (I was born in Southend!). I don't think the beaches in NSW or VIC are any better than the ones in Cornwall tho'! I miss the hot donuts that you get straight out of the machine ;-)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:54 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Try donut king

Originally Posted by nattyp
I miss the hot donuts that you get straight out of the machine ;-)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:41 am
Just Joined

nattyp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by themerlin
Try donut king
I have and it just aint the same, alas!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by buckinghamshire lass
What can only, in my opinion, be described as cheese is lacking over this part of the world...(unless your listening to the radio or Aussie TV!!)

I have lived in Australia for the past 18 months and since being here I must say I prefer our god ol' UK beach scene....

I would give up the white sand and blue sea in Australia anyday for a stroll on Blackpool beach or South End. Dont know about you but I loved the beachs...pepples and all, the arcades with old ladies sitting playing bingo and the loud muisc that trailed the streets from the machines, I miss the markets and crappy souvenier shops, the food stalls some filled with mussels, others hot dog and fish and chip vans etc.... I miss the piers, the rollercoaster rides, stalls of candy floss and toffee apples, I miss the dingy pubs dotted around the high streets that carried a sense of pheonix nights. I often would take my dog to the beach, have a stroll up and down, stop for something to eat and a pint and return home after a great day. Since being in Australia my love of the beach has changed. Although their beaches are clean, the sand is white and the sea is blue, it doesnt do much for me. Its tough to find a doggy beach for starters and once were there were gone again in an hour as I say theres not much to do....
When I asked an Aussie why there beaches were boring, I was told....well its too cold in the UK to swim so you obviously need other entertainment! Well for me who doesnt swim at all, didnt even get me 10 metres swimming certificate :embaressed_smile: does need other entertainment!!

I guess I miss the character of what a UK beach has to offer...........the cheese...........

I actually love the deserted beaches, but only if I can take the dog for long walks along the waters edge.

I know what you mean about the traditional UK seaside though. When I lived near Terrigal, which is a bustling little NSW seaside town, I had the idea of opening a beach shop UK style, with buckets and spades and all the other beach stuff we had as kids.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:56 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a Saturday in Great Yarmouth about 2 years ago. Possibly the most depressing Saturday ever.

Australian beaches any day!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I don't like beaches in any country. Hate sand. Bores me to death just looking at them.
Must admit, the Aussie beaches are better then the UK ones though. I don't swim either.

As for cheese.............well i think there's too much of it here in OZ. Cheesy this and that, cheesy beans, cheesy spaghetti, cheesy crisps, cheesy balls and puffs, Cheesy feet and loads of chioces of cheese.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever seen Martin Parr's photographs? Particularly "the Last Resort" ones? I think should google them, you will probably like them.
J
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

... the beachs...pepples and all, the arcades with old ladies sitting playing bingo and the loud muisc that trailed the streets from the machines, I miss the markets and crappy souvenier shops, the food stalls some filled with mussels, others hot dog and fish and chip vans etc.... I miss the piers, the rollercoaster rides, stalls of candy floss and toffee apples, I miss the dingy pubs dotted around the high streets that carried a sense of pheonix nights. I often would take my dog to the beach, have a stroll up and down, stop for something to eat and a pint and return home after a great day. Since being in Australia my love of the beach has changed. Although their beaches are clean, the sand is white and the sea is blue, it doesnt do much for me. Its tough to find a doggy beach for starters and once were there were gone again in an hour as I say theres not much to do....
You could be describing the beach near where I live - Dawlish Warren . I love this part of the UK but the one thing I won't miss is the Warren. We spent most of April in Jervis Bay and I defy anyone to not like their beaches. (except of course when the bluebottle jellyfish swarm ashore )
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

lol - I liked your post. Everyone misses different things and I do know where you're coming from, those resorts have a lot of character (my favourite was Padstow). That said, personally I don't miss them.

Originally Posted by deano66
We spent most of April in Jervis Bay and I defy anyone to not like their beaches.
Ah... my neighbourhood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.