Homeward bound

Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

mnicona will become famous soon enoughmnicona will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homeward bound

I think we'll be looking mostly at QLD....either just outside of Brisbane, or somewhere like Burleigh Heads on the GC...or anywhere along the Sunny Coast

Originally Posted by benhila
Perhaps you should give Sydney a miss than (unless you like it HOT & WET)

Having said that, a great post!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Hello again,

After 2.5 years in beautiful Sydney we have decided to call it a day and move back to the UK.

A number of reasons contributed to our decision : the removal of LAFHA and the general expensiveness of the place, my son needing to start school (necessitating a long term commitment to a place) and the difficulties of raising 2 small children without family to hand. It'll also be easier for me to return to work in the UK with more flexible and affordable day care and employers.

It's a 'sensible' move at a sensible time for us but we will all be leaving with heavy hearts. As seasoned expats (we've lived in various Asian countries, the Middle East and Italy) I was never excited by the idea of Australia. It just seemed like a sunny Britain with little to offer culturally, but it has blown me away with its natural beauty and the open, kind nature of its people (not to mention the food!) The ferry ride across the harbour (which my 5 year old says is "filled with diamonds") gets me every time.

Many things have irritated me about the place though. The supermarkets are dire, internet shopping and the general online revolution seems to have passed it by, the fashion is at least 6 months behind the rest of the world, the TV is awful (I haven't even switched it on for the past year), public transport is woefully lacking for a major world city, the lack of heated and insulated homes, despite some pretty cold winter temperatures seems stubborn and martyr-ish.

But it's a beautiful, wild and happy place, despite its 'backwardness' and I will miss it for the rest of my life.
Good post and a fair assessment of Australia too. I particularly liked your little boy's description of the ferry ride .
All the best for the future and I hope it works out well for you and your family in the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Brilliant post mnicona! Sums up my thoughts and feelings exactly! Good luck with the move to Oz. I've been here for 5 weeks and so far i'm loving everything that this country has to offer. Oh yeah and experiencing the warmest start to an Oz Spring in 24 years has been a welcome bonus.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Tommyatkins is an unknown quantity at this point

Only came across this forum today, shame I didn't come across it earlier.

Also returning to the UK from Australia, although the move isn't really my choice. In fact we left Brisbane in November this year after 23 months in the Australia. I was a 457 visa holder and unfortunately got made redundant. I wish I had gone for Permanent Residency earlier through the points system but was waiting for the 2 years with a sponsoring employer to elapse. Anyway, the prospects of finding alternative employment within the 28 days they give you wasn't looking good, so we had to cut our losses (and there were quite a few of those) and get on a plane.

Such is life! I left Australia with a bitter taste in my throat, wonderful place though it is.

If you're a 457 visa holder and keen on staying in Australia try and transition onto permanent residency as soon as you can. There's no longer any LAFHA so no real reason to remain a temporary resident any longer than you have to.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Too risky on 457 ,risky even permanent
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

jambo72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pennines49
Too risky on 457 ,risky even permanent
Why do you say that?

Also whats this LAFHA?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Tommyatkins is an unknown quantity at this point

LAFHA Living Away From Home Allowance. A tax break offered to temporary residents by employers, it meant that only salary above a certain threshold was subject to tax. It was quite an attractive offer and made living in Australia a bit more affordable. Anyway it was phased out last year and probably affects Australia's ability to attract skilled workers as they can probably get a more competive salary package and lower tax elsewhere, although they wouldn't get the great Aussie lifestyle then.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree Crystal- good luck, the sensible decision.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Hello again,

After 2.5 years in beautiful Sydney we have decided to call it a day and move back to the UK.

A number of reasons contributed to our decision : the removal of LAFHA and the general expensiveness of the place, my son needing to start school (necessitating a long term commitment to a place) and the difficulties of raising 2 small children without family to hand. It'll also be easier for me to return to work in the UK with more flexible and affordable day care and employers.

It's a 'sensible' move at a sensible time for us but we will all be leaving with heavy hearts. As seasoned expats (we've lived in various Asian countries, the Middle East and Italy) I was never excited by the idea of Australia. It just seemed like a sunny Britain with little to offer culturally, but it has blown me away with its natural beauty and the open, kind nature of its people (not to mention the food!) The ferry ride across the harbour (which my 5 year old says is "filled with diamonds") gets me every time.

Many things have irritated me about the place though. The supermarkets are dire, internet shopping and the general online revolution seems to have passed it by, the fashion is at least 6 months behind the rest of the world, the TV is awful (I haven't even switched it on for the past year), public transport is woefully lacking for a major world city, the lack of heated and insulated homes, despite some pretty cold winter temperatures seems stubborn and martyr-ish.

But it's a beautiful, wild and happy place, despite its 'backwardness' and I will miss it for the rest of my life.
Wondering how you are all getting on now that this thread has been resurrected?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Brilliant post mnicona! Sums up my thoughts and feelings exactly! Good luck with the move to Oz. I've been here for 5 weeks and so far i'm loving everything that this country has to offer. Oh yeah and experiencing the warmest start to an Oz Spring in 24 years has been a welcome bonus.
ermm, isn't it the Oz Autumn right now, not Spring.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
ermm, isn't it the Oz Autumn right now, not Spring.
It was on the Sep 25th 2012, 9:34 am.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It was on the Sep 25th 2012, 9:34 am.
Only been there for 5 weeks though, so how can they have been there in Spring?..