British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   here at last! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/here-last-456933/)

kporte Jun 9th 2007 2:19 am

here at last!

well, we've been here a month so far! spent a month on Coochiemudlo Island over at Redland and had a great time just relaxing as well as fitting in a few settling in chores. I start work on Tuesday, having gone for two interviews and offered both jobs. I did have a job to come to but changed my mind!
want to start the bewildering task of buying a place now!
we have an apartment in Auchenflower for a couple of months, decent commute to work at Carole park. The problem is getting something we can afford in a half decent area - we want to base our mortgage on my income alone, so we are looking at $300,000. getting a job was easy but the house will be another matter.

any advise for a decent area with a drive to carole park of max 50 mins?

we are looking at ipswich area but it has had a fair bit stick on BE. really don't fancy the areas termed " legoland " by some BE ers as we left a new estate in the uk and fancy a change of scene.

all good so far, the aussies we have encountered up to now have been warm and friendly, customer service excellent in shops and restaraunts. bought a couple of second hand cars, all straightforward as was related stuff, rego etc. no real negatives so far apart for houses in our budget but i'm sure they will come! to sum up, going well so far but will be happier with a long term roof over our heads!!:thumbsup:

Scott Jun 9th 2007 6:11 am

Re: here at last!

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 4891868)
well, we've been here a month so far! spent a month on Coochiemudlo Island over at Redland and had a great time just relaxing as well as fitting in a few settling in chores. I start work on Tuesday, having gone for two interviews and offered both jobs. I did have a job to come to but changed my mind!
we have an apartment in Auchenflower for a couple of months, decent commute to work at Carole park. The problem is getting something we can afford in a half decent area - we want to base our mortgage on my income alone, so we are looking at $300,000. getting a job was easy but the house will be another matter.

we are looking at ipswich area but it has had a fair bit stick on BE. really don't fancy the areas termed " legoland " by some BE ers as we left a new estate in the uk and fancy a change of scene.

all good so far, the aussies we have encountered up to now have been warm and friendly, customer service excellent in shops and restaraunts. bought a couple of second hand cars, all straightforward as was related stuff, rego etc. no real negatives so far apart for houses in our budget but i'm sure they will come! to sum up, going well so far but will be happier with a long term roof over our heads!!:thumbsup:

A nice read , please its all going great . keep us updated on the home hunt !

good luck

S.

Scotschick Jun 9th 2007 7:16 am

Great to hear things are working out so far. Can't believe you have been gone a month already. Time sure does fly. Good luck.

kporte Jun 9th 2007 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Scotschick (Post 4892473)
Great to hear things are working out so far. Can't believe you have been gone a month already. Time sure does fly. Good luck.

tell me! it's flown in. how are things going with you guys?

Scotschick Jun 9th 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 4892516)
tell me! it's flown in. how are things going with you guys?

Fly out 2 weeks today. Finished work yesterday and had a great time. Just want to get going now though.

Donna&Neil Jun 9th 2007 10:10 am

Hi K&K, good to hear things are going well. Yeah time does fly with so much to do and organised. Great news re the job and will keep our fingers crossed re the house hunt. Will be in touch. :thumbup:

Donna & Neil

kporte Jun 9th 2007 10:36 am

good to hear from you! funny to think we'll get that beer soon!!:beer:

kporte Jun 9th 2007 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Scotschick (Post 4892765)
Fly out 2 weeks today. Finished work yesterday and had a great time. Just want to get going now though.

know what you mean. all that waiting coming to an end!! good luck:thumbsup:

curly Jun 9th 2007 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 4891868)

Well done with getting sorted so soon :thumbup:

Glad you're enjoying it so far :)

Simba Jun 9th 2007 7:20 pm

Well done on the jobs sounds like you are settling in well good luck with the house hunting.