Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Heads up after 15 months....

Heads up after 15 months....

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:10 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heads up after 15 months....

Well, where do I start, I suppose with an apology first for not posting on here as often as I did when I was looking to move to Australia.

The last 15 months, have in my opinion been the fastest 15 months in my life, I have had two birthdays in Australia, two Christmas's and they were probably the two I remember the most... not because anything exciting or different happened, I was just in a new country enjoying my new life.

When it all started back in October 2005, we watched every episode of "Get a new life", "A new life down under" etc, read every book we could, and read as many posts on BE as physically possible.

For those of you on the long and windy road, I have every sympathy with the emotional rollercoaster you are currently subjecting yourself to.

From the TRA application to the medicals (remember the high blood presure ?)
I feel all of your pain ! The day you send in your application to the day the email arrives telling you they will let you in.

Then there is the leaving of the UK, selling your house, and the final farewells to those closest to you family and friends alike.

It feels like the sky has fallen in on you and you are above the clouds all in the same emotion.

For those that are on the journey, the very best of luck to you and to those of you that are here, enjoy, those that have been and gone back, I am sure you have an experience to tell everyone..

So the last 15 months...

We have bought our own house, live in a suburb we always wanted to and have the house and pool we told our kids we would have if we moved to Australia.

Luckily for us its been a smooth ride, no homesickness, no thoughts of returning and no "What the hell have we done ?"

The kids have blossomed into more outgoing, confident and mature children with more to do than they ever imagined. From dancing to swimming, surfing and life saving they have done everything and continue to do so.

They have friends like they did in the UK, only they play more, they have had more life experience than I ever had at their age.

School is now, exciting, where it was once a chore, that could be because they are older I appreciate, but they do more, learn more and have the opportunity to be just kids once again.

For me, I have managed to secure a highly regarded job that is not skill based, have been given 3 promotions in my time and am highly respected by both my colleagues and hierachy. Work hard and talk to people, the world gets by on people liking each other.

I have been awarded the highest accolade in my company for the whole of Queensland, and that after just 7 months in the role. The Aussies like rewarding people who do what they say they can do. I am not blowing trumpets, more advising professionals that you can and will be rewarded for the work you put in.

We have friends here, that are good friends, people you can call on, like we did in the UK, sure they are not as close, we haven't been here all our life, but I am sure we will be here for the rest of our lives.

There are no rose tinted spectacles for sale here, you still have to work, you still have to pay bills, things still annoy you, but with the right mindset and the right attitude it will all fall into place. What if it doesn't fall into place ? Then you have to make a new decision...

Remember why you wanted to move in the first place, the thoughts and the dreams you had as to what it would be like, stay with that thought in your head and those dreams become reality.

Life is not supposed to be easy, so moving to the other side of the world is not going to change the path you set yourself. Just seems a little easier when the kids are smiling the sun is shining and you have that little piece of paradise you once thought you might have.

As I said to start with people come and people go, there is no wrong decision or right decision, just your decision. You make it happen no matter where you are in the world.

I will finish my lengthy post with two final sentances....

Life is all about decisions, wrong ones and right ones, its what you want from those decisions and more importantly get from those decisions, that make them wrong or right.

My kids said to me the other day, "Dad, this has been the best year of my life"

Good enough for me....

Good luck to all of you whatever you are doing and wherever in the world you are heading, returning to.

Nick

Last edited by nick72; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:12 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Heads up after 15 months....

That's great Nick. I'm glad the move has worked out so well for your family! I'm sure people thinking about the move will love to read it.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic honest post. Long may your happiness continue.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thats really great to hear

I completely agree with you too on the attitude thing.
There are many things in life that require you to adapt, rethink and reflect and it is all down to the attitude of peeps to how it will work out!

Some people have things easy from the onset of life and then when something siht smacks them in the face they don't know what to do!

I've also come across a few people who put obstacles in their own way and are too stubborn to just try something from a different angle or work that little bit harder!

Anyway, well done, good luck and that's me shattered for the day...don't normally spout out so much sense at this time of day...off to bed

Last edited by sammyg; Jan 22nd 2008 at 11:57 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Well deserved K sent !!! Great Post.

Ste
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:11 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant and realistic post! I always think there's no harm in being positive and realistic all at the same time. Sometimes posts on here lean a bit too much towards the realistic for my liking but this strikes the prefect balance.

bravo!

Therese
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Excellent post, karma sent. I am at the medical stage trying to push forward everyday and your words have given me a rush of happiness. I love your attitude, you have made your dream happen and you deserve every wonderful minute of it. The best of luck in the future
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:29 pm

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reading all !!

Nick
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember your blood pressure drama!

So glad it's all working out for you.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:10 am

Ta Wendy !!

All seems a distant memory now !!

Nick
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:06 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Great, positive and down to earth update. I know what you mean about time flying - we have been here nearly two and a half years but it doesnt seem so long. Best wishes for the future.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Nick & family
That was a really interesting read & glad that all is going well for you!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:37 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick72
Well, where do I start, I suppose with an apology first for not posting on here as often as I did when I was looking to move to Australia.

The last 15 months, have in my opinion been the fastest 15 months in my life, I have had two birthdays in Australia, two Christmas's and they were probably the two I remember the most... not because anything exciting or different happened, I was just in a new country enjoying my new life.

When it all started back in October 2005, we watched every episode of "Get a new life", "A new life down under" etc, read every book we could, and read as many posts on BE as physically possible.

For those of you on the long and windy road, I have every sympathy with the emotional rollercoaster you are currently subjecting yourself to.

From the TRA application to the medicals (remember the high blood presure ?)
I feel all of your pain ! The day you send in your application to the day the email arrives telling you they will let you in.

Then there is the leaving of the UK, selling your house, and the final farewells to those closest to you family and friends alike.

It feels like the sky has fallen in on you and you are above the clouds all in the same emotion.

For those that are on the journey, the very best of luck to you and to those of you that are here, enjoy, those that have been and gone back, I am sure you have an experience to tell everyone..

So the last 15 months...

We have bought our own house, live in a suburb we always wanted to and have the house and pool we told our kids we would have if we moved to Australia.

Luckily for us its been a smooth ride, no homesickness, no thoughts of returning and no "What the hell have we done ?"

The kids have blossomed into more outgoing, confident and mature children with more to do than they ever imagined. From dancing to swimming, surfing and life saving they have done everything and continue to do so.

They have friends like they did in the UK, only they play more, they have had more life experience than I ever had at their age.

School is now, exciting, where it was once a chore, that could be because they are older I appreciate, but they do more, learn more and have the opportunity to be just kids once again.

For me, I have managed to secure a highly regarded job that is not skill based, have been given 3 promotions in my time and am highly respected by both my colleagues and hierachy. Work hard and talk to people, the world gets by on people liking each other.

I have been awarded the highest accolade in my company for the whole of Queensland, and that after just 7 months in the role. The Aussies like rewarding people who do what they say they can do. I am not blowing trumpets, more advising professionals that you can and will be rewarded for the work you put in.

We have friends here, that are good friends, people you can call on, like we did in the UK, sure they are not as close, we haven't been here all our life, but I am sure we will be here for the rest of our lives.

There are no rose tinted spectacles for sale here, you still have to work, you still have to pay bills, things still annoy you, but with the right mindset and the right attitude it will all fall into place. What if it doesn't fall into place ? Then you have to make a new decision...

Remember why you wanted to move in the first place, the thoughts and the dreams you had as to what it would be like, stay with that thought in your head and those dreams become reality.

Life is not supposed to be easy, so moving to the other side of the world is not going to change the path you set yourself. Just seems a little easier when the kids are smiling the sun is shining and you have that little piece of paradise you once thought you might have.

As I said to start with people come and people go, there is no wrong decision or right decision, just your decision. You make it happen no matter where you are in the world.

I will finish my lengthy post with two final sentances....

Life is all about decisions, wrong ones and right ones, its what you want from those decisions and more importantly get from those decisions, that make them wrong or right.

My kids said to me the other day, "Dad, this has been the best year of my life"

Good enough for me....

Good luck to all of you whatever you are doing and wherever in the world you are heading, returning to.

Nick
gawd, blast from the past...........i remember advising concept australia to you

good news on your side hun, glad to hear.

xx
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

1Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Heads up after 15 months....

What a lovley post,good on ya! l have to totally aggree with
'Work hard and talk to people, the world gets by on people liking each other.'
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on great progress !

Hoping we encounter the same.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.