Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:26 am
Just Joined

jimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant future
Default Re: Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

hi i no how hard it is we moved here from surrey , we had a nice life there , lots of good friends. i have two sons aged12&15. its my 15 year old that i also the problems with. he was the one that was up for coming and my 12 yr old was dead against it he made so much fuss. well 4 months on my 12 yr old is fine and loving it but my 15 yr old is having a hard time . he also had lots of friends, especially the girls , he misses the closeness of the girls . iv also thought of sending him home to carry on school in the uk, but have not said it to him. the longer your here you get used to life here. his friends here are very nice but just different. the guilt his put me through is heart breaking.
but i think they will both get over it you just need to push them to meet people and join clubs thats the best way. we have also arranged for 3 of his friends to come over in jan08 so fingers crossed with time he will settle down . just keep him busy. msm dosent help because they feel like they are missing out so much . anyway good luck your not alone
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Possie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking forward to meeting you and your family at the Brisbane British Club Meetup on 12 August.

Gordon & Paula
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maria and dom
Hi
We Moved to Melbourne Last Jan from Ireland and i have to say i sympathize with a lot of what you are saying .My OH got a job straight away but and Iam waiting for the kids to settle before i start looking but I'm still waiting , Its a lot different and overall a huge change. We again moved from a very nice house in Ireland and were very comfortably off. But here our lifestyle has taken a nose dive , my OH wages are gone before you could say Jack Sprat and the house we are living in Glen Waverley is freezing cold and to small but we took it because we wanted to get somewhere to live as we were paying $1000 aweek for holiday accomodation . The weather is crap
and although I don't miss home I'm wondering why I came.
I have met some great people here mostly Indian immigrants and srilankan
and I had 2 friends here from Ireland already. Itend to make friends with immigrants and I hear there are a lot of english immigrants in brisbane. We are so cold in Melbourne that we are actually thinking of mooving to brisbane.
I would say hang on in there and it will be a challange for your son he'll get there , what about changing schools both my friends changed their childrens schools one was being bullied and the other not being challenged enough academically.
good luck
maria and dom(frozen in melbourne)

Hey neighbour
we've just moved from scotland to cold glen waverley,
Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimjus
hi i no how hard it is we moved here from surrey , we had a nice life there , lots of good friends. i have two sons aged12&15. its my 15 year old that i also the problems with. he was the one that was up for coming and my 12 yr old was dead against it he made so much fuss. well 4 months on my 12 yr old is fine and loving it but my 15 yr old is having a hard time . he also had lots of friends, especially the girls , he misses the closeness of the girls . iv also thought of sending him home to carry on school in the uk, but have not said it to him. the longer your here you get used to life here. his friends here are very nice but just different. the guilt his put me through is heart breaking.
but i think they will both get over it you just need to push them to meet people and join clubs thats the best way. we have also arranged for 3 of his friends to come over in jan08 so fingers crossed with time he will settle down . just keep him busy. msm dosent help because they feel like they are missing out so much . anyway good luck your not alone
Whereabouts in Surrey did you come from, and where are you now?

Your story sounds very similar to mine.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:38 am
Just Joined

jimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant future

hia we were in epsom near nonsuch park. weve been here since april, we are in oxenford near wet and wild gold coast. we are renting at the moment but having a house built.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Andy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud of

Thanks for your honest post - although there's just the two of us, we do keep asking ourselves why are we doing this (been here 6 weeks) as I miss my friends. I'm about to go for a walk on the beach - that often makes me feel better (although I have been known to end up in tears with, "they're all so far away" thoughts as I gaze out to sea!)

I just wanted to say something about Medicare. We came on a 12 month working holiday visa (and was away from the UK for 2 years) and got the reciprocal agreement. We are now on the 3 year SIR 495 provisional crap- but-at-least-it's-a-visa visa which means we're not entitled to Medicare BUT we ARE entitled to the reciprocal agreement which covers all necessary treatment. Would seriously suggest looking into that again...

In the meantime, good luck! And know that you are not alone in how you feel,

C x
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

midlife crisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thebigh
We did look into the medicare and reciprocal arrangements with the NHS, this only applies if you are still a resident of the uk and so long as you are not out of the country for more than 3 months. see the article below.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=1963

there are a number of visitors health insurance packages you can of course take out, the price varies as does the cover but for a family package it works out about $3700 per year.

Once you are a permanent resident you can then transfer into the medicare scheme but under a business visa class 163 you are temporary for up to 4 years
Hi Guys

We are out here on a temporary buisness visa class 163 and we have medicare cards. Just go to the Medicare office and show them your visa and they will issue you all with cards. The cards do say recriprical on them but it hasn't caused us a problem.
We have been here for 20 months now and have used them so many times. In fact our son had an emergency appendix operation and it didn't cost a thing.

Mind you I have just discovered about the University fees. What a shocker that is !! I just hope we get our residency before he has to start..
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thebigh
Sorry guys......don't meen to be so negative but seeing my son go so disheartened and dejected to school is breaking my heart and I wonder what the hell we have done......does that make any sense to you guys.

Does it get better than this ? are we just going through a pain barrier.
Believe me it does and it will get much better for you......... please stick at it and don't throw in the towel.

We struggled like hell when we came to Perth as a family in 1990. Hardly knew anyone, couldn't find work, we ran around in an old banger that was falling to bits........... and we spoke with a funny accent which didn't go down too well with the Aussies....... who were of the opinion we only bathed once a week and were allergic to soap?

We soon got friendly with our 3 lad's schoolmates parents, enrolled our lads in Taewkwondo classes......... met more parents there. I became secretary of Wanneroo Junior Soccer Club.......... more social gatherings ......... more friends met etc etc. Get your kids enrolled in sports and they will soon mix in.

I could only find about 3 months of temporary s*&t work during our first 4 years. That was soul destroying and most depressing. I found a good job eventually thanks to someone i had previously worked with in Papua New Guinea ................... and from then on everything was on the up and up.

Granted it was a real struggle at first........... but we got there through sheer hard work coupled with a bit of British grit and determination.

Please........... stick at it; you will get there.......... just give it your best shot and put up with the hard times.............. they will only be temporary!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:12 pm
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andy & Carla
Thanks for your honest post - although there's just the two of us, we do keep asking ourselves why are we doing this (been here 6 weeks) as I miss my friends. I'm about to go for a walk on the beach - that often makes me feel better (although I have been known to end up in tears with, "they're all so far away" thoughts as I gaze out to sea!)

C x

Same here Andy & Carla. Second time round for us but we have to sit it through. For 4 yrs we were in the UK, after validating our visa, all we thought about was coming back to Oz. Now we are here, I am thinking, "why have we done this again? Why have we decided to put ourselves through this pain again?" The answer is that if we didn't, we would always wonder.

The good thing about most people with families is that they can enrol their children at school and start meeting other parents. I recognise that families also feel the same as we (couples, no children) do but forming networks for them is a bit easier than people without children. Before anyone slates me, please note that I am not marginalising your feelings in any way. To some degree everyone leaving family, friends and familiarity behind feels the same way. It is incredibly hard to start a new life, let alone be thousands of miles away.

To everyone going through all the pain, guilty feelings etc., just hang in there. In due course it would get better but if you still end up going back to the UK, at least you will have given it your best shot in Oz and you will be better placed to move on with your lives in the UK. Good luck to everyone.

Jin
Old Jul 20th 2007, 10:34 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Believe me it does and it will get much better for you......... please stick at it and don't throw in the towel.

We struggled like hell when we came to Perth as a family in 1990. Hardly knew anyone, couldn't find work, we ran around in an old banger that was falling to bits........... and we spoke with a funny accent which didn't go down too well with the Aussies....... who were of the opinion we only bathed once a week and were allergic to soap?

We soon got friendly with our 3 lad's schoolmates parents, enrolled our lads in Taewkwondo classes......... met more parents there. I became secretary of Wanneroo Junior Soccer Club.......... more social gatherings ......... more friends met etc etc. Get your kids enrolled in sports and they will soon mix in.

I could only find about 3 months of temporary s*&t work during our first 4 years. That was soul destroying and most depressing. I found a good job eventually thanks to someone i had previously worked with in Papua New Guinea ................... and from then on everything was on the up and up.

Granted it was a real struggle at first........... but we got there through sheer hard work coupled with a bit of British grit and determination.

Please........... stick at it; you will get there.......... just give it your best shot and put up with the hard times.............. they will only be temporary!

That was kinda bordering on the inspirational. We have been in Brisbane just over a year now and although it's not all that bad it has been tougher than I thought. We are seriously thinking about moving to Townsville as we would have a better chance of getting our own home etc. I think deep down I know we should stick it out but sometimes when I think about the UK our struggle was a lot, lot less.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

About the Aussies, the 'beer' culture is way ott for my liking, its like they're being dumbed down just like the Aboriginis supposedly are with grog, although they dont seem to realise it (even the moronic ads on TV are for dumbos, with people shouting and screeching to buy bloody rugs every 2 minutes!).

My wife goes to the toddlers group and all the english women there all agree its hard getting a decent conversation out of your average Sunshine Coast Aussie, never mind crack a good joke but we know a few that originate from Sydney and they seem ok.

Incidentally most of these women at the toddlers groups seem to want back to UK and dont view here as a place they'll stay, dunno why.

I'm personally not bothered about it all and will stay wherever but i've been here less time than you so not in a position to advise except to say that we will go to Sydney or Melbourne if we didnt settle here as that should bring a more 'cosmopolitan' lifestyle.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

perhaps you could get your son into a bike club maybe try http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Things do get better Thebigh,just give it more time.I know its awful when your children are unhappy and you think`What have we done ?` but they will all settle eventually.One of our sons had a terrible start,hated everything, was not eating,loss of confidence,loss of care over his appearance etc and we were so worried over it .However 6 months on he is settling in and making friends.Have to say he is not the child he was tho`-but maybe he would have changed at some point anyway.Its difficult when you compare to the life you have left.We try not to as the children just want to go home again ,but we are sure as we settle more these feelings will change.
As people above have suggested ,an Ex-pat meet can be a huge help as you are meeting people who have done exactly what you have just done,therefore they will understand the emotions you are all going thro`.With the best will in the world this cannot be understood by someone who has not packed up a life ,twistedit around and set up somewhere else.Also join as many local groups as you can ,get involved with the schools and gradually as you get to meet people lifewill become more`normal`.
Good Luck.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Ah, didn't realise that.

Being an Aussie myself, I guess I just taken it for granted.

Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

debdraper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, me and my family moved here in April, and I'm going through exactly the same problem. I have a son 9 and a daughter 11. She is desparate to go home. We've made it quite clear she can't and she appears to be trying to make a bit of an effort. The rest of us are settling ok but I won't be happy until she is. Every day she comes home from school I hope she's been invited to a sleep over or made a new friend. She goes to school camp in September so I'm hoping she may get closer to the class then. We've met a family living in the next village through this site, and Chloe has enjoyed chatting to their daughter who is the same age. Will be nice to see you at meeting on 12th, see how you're getting on, and stick in there. You hear of so many people doing the going back and then coming back again thing! Dont be one of them. On the work front, my husband Chris had his own business in the UK and has found work in the same line, but on a pittance at the moment. Found it difficult to accept that he is a 'nobody' here as far as they are concerned, and has to prove his worth. We're living in Wellington Point on the Bayside by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.