British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Gold Coast - One Month In (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/gold-coast-one-month-511139/)

Clippy Feb 2nd 2008 11:37 am

Gold Coast - One Month In

We're here :thumbsup:

Ok, well was all very stressful before we left, hellish in fact. All long forgotten now though :)

Arrived in Brissie 3rd Jan. Had a week's holiday rental booked at Kangaroo Point. Spent the first week trying to find a car to buy and a rental.

We had absolutely no idea where we wanted to live having only actually spent 2 days in GC on our recce.

Anyway, we got a lovely rental in Maudsland - we hadn't got a any jobs to come to so didn't really have anything by way of id or proof of income for the rental application. We had to be very insistent to get a viewing as there is a real 'no rush' attitude with the EA's, which is nice and laid back but can be frustrating when you're trying to find somewhere to live. When we arrived at property viewing there were a few others too but we'd bought a folder and taken photo copies of our passports, driving licences (uk), bank statements (uk one and the oz one was just a screen print we got the bank to do), uk credit report and two oz refs (thanks girls :D). I had also been to the rental agency and picked up a rental application form prior to the viewing, filled it all in so everything was ready to hand over at the viewing. No-one else that came to view it had any paperwork so I think this put us at an advantage. We also offered 3 months up front rent, but they didn't ask for it when they offered us the rental.

We got a car, second had, really expensive and I hate the thing but it works and will do for now.

Dale didn't phone for jobs for a couple of weeks, then got the first one he phoned (carpenter) working direct for a small Australian family company. They're really nice and it's going well, money's a bit crap but can't expect too much without a licence. Hoping to get the licence sorted now.

The boy started school, it's a brand new one and very nice. I'm not sure whether he'll stay in the class he's in, I'm hoping they'll move him up as the class is mostly prep and he's year 1 but intelectually should be year 2 really. Although maybe more play less work will do him good. We'll see.

I've not felt homesick yet but obviously it's very early days.

Still got loads to do and still settling in but we're enjoying it.

Oh we went to sort out medicare and the first office we went to told us that we needed to provide proof of our intent to remain in Australia as we validated last year. We had our rental agreement but it wasn't enough, they wanted a letter off the bank or the school or a utility bill - none of which we had. When we got car insurance we thought we could use that. We went back to a different medicare office and they didn't ask us for any of that information, just processed the application and were very helpful.

We didn't ship anything over, just came with our suitcases 20kg each. Was hard bringing so little but it's really nice to go out and buy new stuff. We've been suprised at how cheap the new furniture, tv's etc are - we've never had new furniture before so it's been really nice kitting out the house and at a good price too. Although we're still waiting for some stuff to be delivered but it shouldn't be much longer now.

We have also now purchased a bbq :thumbsup:

That's about it I think, will update again soon..ish :D

So...no complaints, it's all good - except the tv, now that really is crap :rofl:

Sally Simpson Feb 2nd 2008 4:02 pm

Re: Gold Coast - One Month In

Lovely update & great to hear that all is working out so far:thumbsup:

mad city fan Feb 2nd 2008 4:45 pm

Great to hear you are enjoying your new lives down under :thumbsup:

Fly Away Feb 2nd 2008 4:56 pm

Great update!:thumbsup:

Glad to see you back and to hear that the trauma was worth it.

You got an awful lot done in a short time - do you think you'll manage to do as much now you have the internet and BE???:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ANNE&JAY Feb 2nd 2008 5:45 pm

Hi Cath,
Remember me from the July thread! Great to hear you have arrived on Australian soil and are settling in well. We are still here trying to sell the house :curse:. Keep us updated as I will be following your thread and trying to get as much info as possible. Good luck!
Anne xx

shabee Feb 2nd 2008 7:23 pm

Hi there,
Thats a great post. Glad you have gotten things sorted so quickly.

Hope you dont mind me asking a question!

We are also considering the gold coast and my OH is also a joiner so to here your OH got a job so quickly is reassuring. Can you explain about the licence he has to get. I did not think you needed this in queensland or is your OH wanting to be self employed.

Thanks
Shabee

---Haggisman--- Feb 2nd 2008 8:42 pm

Gday Kath,

Good to hear your settling in. weather been a bit shit eh:frown:about the licence for your hubby it takes a while to get i been here 7 months and i finally hope to get mine this month:DIts a long process and costs about £1200 its like applying for the TRA all over plus you have to do a managment course too:frown:And you finally have to be assessed which is'nt as bad as it sounds.
Give us a shout if need any info...

Haggis

mark 'n' joe Feb 2nd 2008 11:12 pm

Wey hey matey.:)

Sooooo glad everythings goin well so far. Really glad Dales found work so soon and A is settling in school.

Think we have finally decided to go for Qld too so hopefully meet up again in the not so distant future. Mark seems to be itchin to go sooner rather than later now :eek:

Alll the best chick

Joe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps sorry if any shite spelling but the brandys kicking in now xxxx:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mark 'n' joe Feb 2nd 2008 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ---Haggisman--- (Post 5874860)
Gday Kath,

Good to hear your settling in. weather been a bit shit eh:frown:about the licence for your hubby it takes a while to get i been here 7 months and i finally hope to get mine this month:DIts a long process and costs about £1200 its like applying for the TRA all over plus you have to do a managment course too:frown:And you finally have to be assessed which is'nt as bad as it sounds.

Haggis

Hey Haggis

Hope you all okay. Can you give us any info on what youve had to do for the license. Give Jacqui hug.

Joex

maisey Feb 3rd 2008 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Clippies (Post 5873303)
We're here :thumbsup:

Ok, well was all very stressful before we left, hellish in fact. All long forgotten now though :)

Arrived in Brissie 3rd Jan. Had a week's holiday rental booked at Kangaroo Point. Spent the first week trying to find a car to buy and a rental.

We had absolutely no idea where we wanted to live having only actually spent 2 days in GC on our recce.

Anyway, we got a lovely rental in Maudsland - we hadn't got a any jobs to come to so didn't really have anything by way of id or proof of income for the rental application. We had to be very insistent to get a viewing as there is a real 'no rush' attitude with the EA's, which is nice and laid back but can be frustrating when you're trying to find somewhere to live. When we arrived at property viewing there were a few others too but we'd bought a folder and taken photo copies of our passports, driving licences (uk), bank statements (uk one and the oz one was just a screen print we got the bank to do), uk credit report and two oz refs (thanks girls :D). I had also been to the rental agency and picked up a rental application form prior to the viewing, filled it all in so everything was ready to hand over at the viewing. No-one else that came to view it had any paperwork so I think this put us at an advantage. We also offered 3 months up front rent, but they didn't ask for it when they offered us the rental.

We got a car, second had, really expensive and I hate the thing but it works and will do for now.

Dale didn't phone for jobs for a couple of weeks, then got the first one he phoned (carpenter) working direct for a small Australian family company. They're really nice and it's going well, money's a bit crap but can't expect too much without a licence. Hoping to get the licence sorted now.

The boy started school, it's a brand new one and very nice. I'm not sure whether he'll stay in the class he's in, I'm hoping they'll move him up as the class is mostly prep and he's year 1 but intelectually should be year 2 really. Although maybe more play less work will do him good. We'll see.

I've not felt homesick yet but obviously it's very early days.

Still got loads to do and still settling in but we're enjoying it.

Oh we went to sort out medicare and the first office we went to told us that we needed to provide proof of our intent to remain in Australia as we validated last year. We had our rental agreement but it wasn't enough, they wanted a letter off the bank or the school or a utility bill - none of which we had. When we got car insurance we thought we could use that. We went back to a different medicare office and they didn't ask us for any of that information, just processed the application and were very helpful.

We didn't ship anything over, just came with our suitcases 20kg each. Was hard bringing so little but it's really nice to go out and buy new stuff. We've been suprised at how cheap the new furniture, tv's etc are - we've never had new furniture before so it's been really nice kitting out the house and at a good price too. Although we're still waiting for some stuff to be delivered but it shouldn't be much longer now.

We have also now purchased a bbq :thumbsup:

That's about it I think, will update again soon..ish :D

So...no complaints, it's all good - except the tv, now that really is crap :rofl:

Good on ya glad to hear you are settling well and happy, here's to your new life downunder:thumbsup:

paraponte Feb 3rd 2008 8:41 am

Glad your settling in.

We are moving to GC & fly out on the 7th of Feb.
Have not got a clue where to look for a rental or schools!!

Have fun

Jim & Nic

sunny somers Feb 3rd 2008 9:08 am

:thumbsup:hey clippies
glad to hear all is well, great update, keep us posted.
kate

shiels Feb 3rd 2008 10:39 am

Hi Kath, great to have you on the same side of the world again!!! Glad you've settled in ok but knew you would!!! :D

BTW its not very often I'm called a girl these days!!!!! ;) C x

Clippy Feb 3rd 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 5874149)
Lovely update & great to hear that all is working out so far

Originally Posted by mad city fan (Post 5874247)
Great to hear you are enjoying your new lives down under

Thank ye :D

[QUOTE=Fly Away;5874264]Great update!

Glad to see you back and to hear that the trauma was worth it.

You got an awful lot done in a short time - do you think you'll manage to do as much now you have the internet and BE???[QUOTE]

Ooh see, I may be a slow starter but once I get going I'm well rapid :rofl:

Yes the internet, will my house ever be clean again I wonder....

Originally Posted by ANNE&JAY (Post 5874379)
Hi Cath,
Remember me from the July thread! Great to hear you have arrived on Australian soil and are settling in well. We are still here trying to sell the house Keep us updated as I will be following your thread and trying to get as much info as possible. Good luck!
Anne xx

Hellooooo! Yes of course I remember, I thought you were in Oz now! what's happening?

Originally Posted by shabee (Post 5874637)
Hi there,
Thats a great post. Glad you have gotten things sorted so quickly.

Hope you dont mind me asking a question!

We are also considering the gold coast and my OH is also a joiner so to here your OH got a job so quickly is reassuring. Can you explain about the licence he has to get. I did not think you needed this in queensland or is your OH wanting to be self employed.

Thanks
Shabee

I don't know much about the licence Shabee - you can work for someone else under their licence which is what my husband is doing at the moment but you can get a lot more money if you have a licence

Originally Posted by ---Haggisman--- (Post 5874860)
Gday Kath,

Good to hear your settling in. weather been a bit shit eh about the licence for your hubby it takes a while to get i been here 7 months and i finally hope to get mine this month Its a long process and costs about £1200 its like applying for the TRA all over plus you have to do a managment course too And you finally have to be assessed which is'nt as bad as it sounds.

Haggis

Lol yeah I've never seen so much rain! Thought Glastonbury got a hammering :rofl:

Will definitely be giving you a shout on the licence info, a where to start would be good :eek: How is the mrs? say hello to her for me

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe (Post 5875461)
Wey hey matey.

Sooooo glad everythings goin well so far. Really glad Dales found work so soon and A is settling in school.

Think we have finally decided to go for Qld too so hopefully meet up again in the not so distant future. Mark seems to be itchin to go sooner rather than later now

Alll the best chick

Joe xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps sorry if any shite spelling but the brandys kicking in now xxxx:

Woohoooooooooooo! helloooo chicky - come to Qld, you know it makes sense :thumbsup: xxx

Originally Posted by maisey (Post 5876837)
Good on ya glad to hear you are settling well and happy, here's to your new life downunder

Thank you :)

Originally Posted by paraponte (Post 5876928)
Glad your settling in.

We are moving to GC & fly out on the 7th of Feb.
Have not got a clue where to look for a rental or schools!!

Have fun

Jim & Nic

Hello fellow brummy lass - anything you wanna know give me a shout, I'll help if I can, there's a few of us brummies (and black country) kids out here :D

Originally Posted by sunny somers (Post 5876994)
hey clippies
glad to hear all is well, great update, keep us posted.
kate

Will do :) hello!

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 5877242)
Hi Kath, great to have you on the same side of the world again!!! Glad you've settled in ok but knew you would!!!

BTW its not very often I'm called a girl these days!!!!! C x

Hello chick :D Yes now I just need a car so we can meet up more often :)

curly Feb 3rd 2008 11:32 am

Great post and sounds like you're settling in well K :thumbsup: :lol:

see you in the morning ;) X