Four years in Oz

Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Four years in Oz

Okay will try to keep this short...

Arrived four year ago under RSMS premanent visa to work under contract at Flinders University in Environmental Science with daughter (then 14). Left my older children (then 21 and 25) in the UK. Met many wonderful people through Science and through Music, which is our hobby. Finally changed jobs 3 weeks ago and have been promoted to a permanent Senior position in an Engineering Company where I am responsible for setting up a new Section related to air quality and greenhouse gas emissions consulting, as well as employing my expertise in contaminated land. Great opportunity as these are my passions and the company is expanding. I really love the challenge of balancing environmental improvements with improved economic and compliance outcomes for clients, so it really suits me well.

I have found the Government here, especially the Department of Climate Change who I work with closely very accommodating. I feel that Adelaide is very easy to network in as it is so compact. At the moment I have found it relatively easy to carry out business here as a result. However, there are far fewer jobs in SA than there are in VIC, NSW, QLD or WA.

Moved house 4 times! Even had a new Aussie partner in that time, sadly didn't work out but he's my best mate. Now living in Glandore which is brilliantly close to the City, beach and transport to anywhere, house is just so cheap and convenient, with a wonderful garden. Hope to be here for a bit!

Miss people in England heaps, especially the kids and grandchildren. My son came out and loved it, trying to get my daugther out with her family at the minute.

Went back to England after 3 years and hated it. Found it grey, dull and crowded and as though it had been washed with bleach!!

My daughter has had opportunities that would never have been on offer in the UK. The education system is just so flexible here that she has gone through a Music program, TAFE course, Science School and it has all added up to one score for her entry to Uni, where she is off to do Music she hopes.

She has also had wonderful opportunities through contacts that have seen her singing solo at Adelaide Town Hall and on good terms with the Governor of South Australia (or "Guv" as he told her to call him!).

I guess for us migration was the best decision we could have made. I had no job prospects in the UK, a pricey house and no time for friends nor the wonderful open spaces that Australia offers us.

Keep believing in the dream - for us it was worth the struggle.

Happy 2010 to all, hope you fulfill your dreams whatever they may be. Will probably hang around over the next week or so while I'm on hols, then be back next year for an update!

Seabird.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four years in Oz

Originally Posted by Seabird

Arrived four year ago under RSMS premanent visa to work under contract at Flinders University in Environmental Science with daughter (then 14). Left my older children (then 21 and 25) in the UK. Met many wonderful people through Science and through Music, which is our hobby. Finally changed jobs 3 weeks ago and have been promoted to a permanent Senior position in an Engineering Company where I am responsible for setting up a new Section related to air quality and greenhouse gas emissions consulting, as well as employing my expertise in contaminated land. Great opportunity as these are my passions and the company is expanding. I really love the challenge of balancing environmental improvements with improved economic and compliance outcomes for clients, so it really suits me well.

I have found the Government here, especially the Department of Climate Change who I work with closely very accommodating. I feel that Adelaide is very easy to network in as it is so compact. At the moment I have found it relatively easy to carry out business here as a result. However, there are far fewer jobs in SA than there are in VIC, NSW, QLD or WA.

Moved house 4 times! Even had a new Aussie partner in that time, sadly didn't work out but he's my best mate. Now living in Glandore which is brilliantly close to the City, beach and transport to anywhere, house is just so cheap and convenient, with a wonderful garden. Hope to be here for a bit!

Miss people in England heaps, especially the kids and grandchildren. My son came out and loved it, trying to get my daugther out with her family at the minute.

Went back to England after 3 years and hated it. Found it grey, dull and crowded and as though it had been washed with bleach!!

My daughter has had opportunities that would never have been on offer in the UK. The education system is just so flexible here that she has gone through a Music program, TAFE course, Science School and it has all added up to one score for her entry to Uni, where she is off to do Music she hopes.

She has also had wonderful opportunities through contacts that have seen her singing solo at Adelaide Town Hall and on good terms with the Governor of South Australia (or "Guv" as he told her to call him!).

I guess for us migration was the best decision we could have made. I had no job prospects in the UK, a pricey house and no time for friends nor the wonderful open spaces that Australia offers us.

Happy 2010 to all, hope you fulfill your dreams whatever they may be. Will probably hang around over the next week or so while I'm on hols, then be back next year for an update!

Seabird.
Glad to see that your move has not seen the dearth of opportunity that so many experience.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Seabird.
Fantastic feedback and seems the move has improved your lives all the way around.

Seems like your Children are on the same career paths as our Younger Two... With both of ours heavily involved in music.... Our 3rd just making the Melbourne Youth Strings and our youngest on the same path according to his teachers.

Its a fantastic feeling when your kids do well out of a move.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:33 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Seabird.
Congratulations Seabird, very positive post and glad to read it, moving in April with 3 children one of which will be 16 and not too enthusiastic about the move. It is nice to see your daughter settled in and enjoying the opportunities offered to her. Hope 2010 brings more good things your way.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

What part are you moving to? My daughter is 18 and said that she is happy to have a chat with your daughter if it helps. PM me if she would like to chat and I'll put them in touch.

School is the greatest way for them to settle in. I have had this debate with my son and his family who are waiting until the daughter finishes secondary school to move over. Is your daughter planning on doing Year 11 and 12?

The system here is so flexible, that you can go back into School at any time. There is no having to get out of School by 17, of that's it. So if it takes her a while to settle, there would usually be the option of moving forward or even going back a year, even at 16. The system is really child-centred at the same time as meeting the requirements of employers and Universities.

If she has some idea of what she will be doing on arrival that will help. My daughter had made contact with youngsters in Adelaide through Adelaidebrits, and the girl she spoke to became her closest friend for the first two years after arrival.

Hope this helps,

Seabird.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Glad to see that your move has not seen the dearth of opportunity that so many experience.
A loaded comment if there ever was one!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:11 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

What part are you moving to? My daughter is 18 and said that she is happy to have a chat with your daughter if it helps. PM me if she would like to chat and I'll put them in touch.

School is the greatest way for them to settle in. I have had this debate with my son and his family who are waiting until the daughter finishes secondary school to move over. Is your daughter planning on doing Year 11 and 12?

The system here is so flexible, that you can go back into School at any time. There is no having to get out of School by 17, of that's it. So if it takes her a while to settle, there would usually be the option of moving forward or even going back a year, even at 16. The system is really child-centred at the same time as meeting the requirements of employers and Universities.

If she has some idea of what she will be doing on arrival that will help. My daughter had made contact with youngsters in Adelaide through Adelaidebrits, and the girl she spoke to became her closest friend for the first two years after arrival.

Hope this helps,

Seabird.
Hi Seabird,

Thx for your reply, yes my daughter will do Year 11 and 12 in Brisbane, in middle of year 11 here so won't do any harm to repeat that. The difficulty is the subjects are quite different and language (has been studying french) taught quite different to Europe. Regardless of the above, I just want her to settle in make friends and be happy, academics can follow at a later date. Expecting strops galore and you have ruined my life episodes until things settle and it suits her, am sure you know the scenario, but jokes aside I know that moving to the other side of the world at 15 is not easy. fingers crossed though that it turns out well. Two other kids are younger, 12 and 7 so hopefully smoother transition, wish April was here and we could start second phase of living, not looking forward to next 3 months of last suppers and goodbyes! Happy New Year from Ireland.

Marie
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds good Marie.

I suspect you will be really surprised at how quickly your eldest settles. Once she is in School the other kids will be exchanging contact straight away. We found people here so welcoming that loneliness only really happened on the first few days. Once my daughter had met the girl from Adelaide Brits they saw each other everyday for over 2 years. The fact that it is so easy to get out and about really helps too.

The goodbyes are really hard. I had to say goodbye to my eldest children and still struggle with that four years later, as we do not get to see each other as often as we would like. My son wants to come out to live for a couple of years, so I am working on trying to find ways to help. It is really difficult, as my youngest is about to start her pre-degree course, so all of my money will be tied up getting her through tertiary education.

Good luck and say Hi to Ireland for me.

Involved in the folk scene here, so often speak to people who still miss their home... It is a wonderful people, but the Aussies have their own charm and there is a really good expat community here. Certainly the Celtic music scene is very active, so if you are pining for home, join a local club and you'll be guaranteed contact with some Irish expats.

All the best

Seabird.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Some links to the folk and celtic scene. Not sure about Queensland...

From the large:

http://www.folkfestival.asn.au/

To Frances:

http://www.francesfolkgathering.com.au/about.shtml
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Seabird. Well done
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

fromdownunder has a spectacular aura aboutfromdownunder has a spectacular aura aboutfromdownunder has a spectacular aura about

Seabird.
Have been here 4 years also just coming up, Permanent Resident and Citizenship. Couldnt wait to move out here from the Uk, given it a real good go but still come up with the feeling its not all its cracked up to be, and now selling up and heading back to dear old cold wet and friendly England, cant wait. Think twice everybody its been a good experience and financially excellent with the flcutuation now in exchange rate, but wouldnt reccomend it to any of my friends!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great update seabird

We have been in Adelaide almost a year (blimey ) and have found exactly what you say, that the education system is much more accommodating. Our musical daughter has blossomed in her school here. We wish she had been able to start the school in kindy rather than half way through. Despite being one of the, (supposedly) best schools in the UK, her previous school was somewhat limited in it's approach being driven solely by SATs results.

To add a proviso on that, we did extensive research into schools before we arrived and settled in an area with good schools rather than choosing an area and hoping the school was OK. There are many average and poor schools here - just like in the UK - and you do need to do your research.

From interest Seabird, which High school did your daughter attend? Please PM me if you prefer. We have all that research to do again for high school LOL.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fromdownunder
Have been here 4 years also just coming up, Permanent Resident and Citizenship. Couldnt wait to move out here from the Uk, given it a real good go but still come up with the feeling its not all its cracked up to be, and now selling up and heading back to dear old cold wet and friendly England, cant wait. Think twice everybody its been a good experience and financially excellent with the flcutuation now in exchange rate, but wouldnt reccomend it to any of my friends!
Success or failure is not something anyone can predict, but if you don't try you'll never know if it is for you, so I would always tell people to try it if they wanted to. Success or failure can also be linked to where you live in a country. I hear so many people who go back home and end up deciding to head back to the country they migrated to having realised that Oz, or wherever, is a big place and maybe they needed to try a different part of that county. But you have certainly given it a go. Hope it all works out well for you and that England feels better than before you left.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:28 am
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future

We kiss the earth every day we arise. Thank G0d for Australia and being admitted here!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:13 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Very Happy
We kiss the earth every day we arise. Thank G0d for Australia and being admitted here!
Admitted? Are you in a Lunatic Asylum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.