British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   First year in OZ ( Victoria to NSW) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/first-year-oz-victoria-nsw-509237/)

Leonella Jan 26th 2008 11:59 am

First year in OZ ( Victoria to NSW)

Hello everybody, thank you very much for all support and answers we got from this forum ,me and my DH, and after lots of arguments ( who told that immigration is an easy bit?) we have finally moved on and moved to Australia.

I must admit that decision to move to Australia wasn't very easy to myself ( as I have moved country twice before, so I knew what I would face again) while my DH dream of OZ every day and he never imagined what it was all about ( but he knows now and wants go back sometime but I would not let him goooooo:rofl: ).
I wasn't sure how we would deal here without family support etc.
The pressure between us was so big that we was even considering a divorce( thanks it is all in the past)
He wanted to go here and I wasn't sure( I had some reasons( you'll read below).
Then we took time and put immigration to the long shelf and went on with our family life . Our relationship went so good:wub: that I fall pregnant again.

Than we have sudedently realised that nothing is keeping us here and we decided to go and have that baby in Australia , my hubby sold house while I went to my parents country( I come from Estern Europe) with older child in September and came back in November when container was shipped and all bags were packed.

We fly to Melbourne from London Heatrow by NZ airlines ( very nice and comfortable I loved that 50 KG for every passenger) Because I was already 5month into pregnancy and older child only 2 years old we decided to have few days between stop-overs.
Shopping in LA (USA) was really good. Then we visited Auckland and after, finally got to Melbourne. Nobody waited us in the airport but we were happy.
We came in Dec 2006 on Friday The 15th and on Monday we already went to Geelong to view the rented property. On Thursday we have been approved for that house.
because it was end of December Nobody would deal with our container, so it took some time to get people to deal with our things.
Meanwhile we bought some basic furniture in the Ray-Outdoors and inflatable beds.
It took us over a month of time and huge amount of money to get that container ( people, never immigrate in December!!!!)

Our youngest arrived in April 2007( first Australian in our family), I love that maternity care.

When child was 2 month old my DH started to look for a job. The trouble:curse: came as I feared - nobody wanted to employ him without a degree ( despite all his 14 years experience in England as engineer) he didn't got any job offer in 6 month. (by the way that was the reason why I didn't wanted us to immigrate to Australia - because he didn't had a degree and I was afraid we would not survive here, I wanted him to have a degree first and then immigrate. But he was very desperate to get here!)

Then we started to apply for jobs to other states at one stage he was even thinking of leaving me here with kids and going back to old job so he would be able to support us.
But after some time he finally and got a job as engineer :thumbup:( not as he wanted but it was better then nothing) Forgot to mention that the job is in NSW. So after a few month traveling back and forward we have moved to NSW. I hope that we will be able to buy a house here, and finally settled.

I fall in love with Australia the first time i saw it, but my advice be all prepared and have all qualifications well before you come here, because mistakes will cost more!

I must admit that that first year in Australia was really good for our family life, DH got close with kids( before he was spending hours in his mothers house watching movies) now he grown up a lot , I would say that immigration made him mature. We have celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary in November ( realising that we didn't had any arguments since we came here ( :thumbsup: my mother in law so far!!!! :)

I do not want to go back to England at all, I will keep you updated on things how we get on with job and house , as at the moment we are starting from the begining few days since we moved to new rented house here in Sydney, all that new friends we left behind in Geelong we miss them so much.
:unsure::unsure:

moneypenny20 Jan 26th 2008 12:37 pm

Re: First year in OZ ( Victoria to NSW)

Sounds like you are settling down after a really busy and emotional year. Good luck to you. Don't forget to check out the Meet Up forum for a meet near you. A great way to meet others in the same boat.

Leonella Jan 26th 2008 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5841666)
Sounds like you are settling down after a really busy and emotional year. Good luck to you. Don't forget to check out the Meet Up forum for a meet near you. A great way to meet others in the same boat.

thankyou we will.

gorgeousgal Jan 26th 2008 10:23 pm

Great update. Where in Sydney are you?

Leonella Jan 29th 2008 6:01 am

Blue Mountains :)

Kapri Jan 30th 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Leonella (Post 5841572)

I must admit that that first year in Australia was really good for our family life, DH got close with kids( before he was spending hours in his mothers house watching movies) now he grown up a lot , I would say that immigration made him mature. We have celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary in November ( realising that we didn't had any arguments since we came here ( :thumbsup: my mother in law so far!!!! :)

Great update Leonella :thumbup:

Sounds like you did the right thing moving away from your mother in law :lol:

ChrissyBest Feb 27th 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Leonella

Glad to see everything is working out for you all! Just a quickie, me and my OH have just started our visa application and I was wondering what type of engineer your husband is? my OH is in IT and has many years experience but also no degree...dont want to jump ship if he couldn't get a job because he does love his job here.

Anyway I hope that things just keep on getting better and better for your family,

take care

Chrissy

Sally Simpson Feb 27th 2008 7:22 pm

Great post Leonella & some good advice!:thumbup:

Hope that you will soon feel very settled in the Blue Mountains & for goodness sake, NEVER invite the MIL to stay!:thumbsup:;):lol:

Leonella Feb 27th 2008 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ChrissyBest (Post 5990009)
Hi Leonella

Glad to see everything is working out for you all! Just a quickie, me and my OH have just started our visa application and I was wondering what type of engineer your husband is? my OH is in IT and has many years experience but also no degree...dont want to jump ship if he couldn't get a job because he does love his job here.

Anyway I hope that things just keep on getting better and better for your family,

take care

Chrissy

Hello Chrissy, my husband is automotive engineer. Regarding experience and degree, if you can you better get you hubby to get one, as in UK experience is tradable for years of degree( it is impossible to so here!)
My hub told me that in UK he would be studying only 3 years but here it would be all 5!

Take care!

Leonella

Leonella Feb 27th 2008 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 5991283)
Great post Leonella & some good advice!:thumbup:

Hope that you will soon feel very settled in the Blue Mountains & for goodness sake, NEVER invite the MIL to stay!:thumbsup:;):lol:

Thankyou SALLYCLAIRE for advice, I think she would not be coming anyway she do not wants to. She didn't ofered to come and help when we was going to have a second baby, so we had no choice but have our oldest with us in the hospital.

I feel so nice we have no landline here( we desided not to have one in this house) so she doesn't phones us anymore:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a piece on mind :rofl::rofl:

Sally Simpson Feb 27th 2008 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Leonella (Post 5991467)
Thankyou SALLYCLAIRE for advice, I think she would not be coming anyway she do not wants to. She didn't ofered to come and help when we was going to have a second baby, so we had no choice but have our oldest with us in the hospital.

I feel so nice we have no landline here( we desided not to have one in this house) so she doesn't phones us anymore:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a piece on mind :rofl::rofl:

Am hoping for a bit of that peace when I get to Oz myself!;):lol:

Leonella Feb 28th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 5991593)
Am hoping for a bit of that peace when I get to Oz myself!;):lol:

All the best sallyclaire :)have you decided which state you are going to move?:)

Sally Simpson Feb 28th 2008 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Leonella (Post 5993551)
All the best sallyclaire :)have you decided which state you are going to move?:)

At the moment we are looking at QLD & hopefully Cairns, jobs permitting!