British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   First year in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/first-year-brisbane-421203/)

YoSemite Jan 24th 2007 5:09 am

First year in Brisbane

well we've now been here for a year and 5 days... I can hardly believe it!!

Our arrival and first couple of weeks weren't the best to be honest. I had the flu (proper flu), so the flight was pretty horiffic for me. Thank goodness we'd decided to treat ourselves and fly business class, because if I was that sick in cattle class I may have just had to kill myself (or stay in hong kong till I got better!).

The day we arrived it must have been esaily 49c (ok mid 30s!!) and coming from Scotland it was a real shock to the system (+ the added problem of flu!). Previously I've always arrived in melbourne at the beginning of december so it's always been slightly cooler.

The first week was spent house hunting, me with flu - hels with sunstroke!!! NOICE!!!!!! The intro to renting a house in australia was hardcore. every house we went and saw had about another 10-20 people viewing it at the same time and I just wasn't comfortable with that at all. I also felt really strange looking round houses when the tenants stuff was still in there.... still don't like that idea to be honest. We found a great (but slightly expensive) house in Woolloongabba and moved in at the beginning of feb.

The end of th feb found us heading off to get the dogs from quarantine. Someone (me!) got the dates mixed up and we ended up having to stay in sydney for an extra night, and bomb it back up the road so we were home in time for school on monday!!! the dogs were over the moon to see us. Brogan had lost a bit of weight, but bailey was really really sick with an hear infection that the AQIS folks either hadn't noticed, or hadn't done anything about. So getting that sorted was our first trip to the vet!!!!!!!!

The rest of the year faily flew by.... april was my birthday and we had a bbq in the yard. couple of expats made it along and a very merry night was had by all.

June/july we headed back over to the UK for 2 weeks to sort out some stuff which hadn't been dealt with before we left. And although it was great to see everyone again - it didn't feel like home at all. we were really relieved to get back to brisbane again.

August I sat my motorcycle test, and since getting a bike I've made an unreal amount of new friends out there in biker land. I spend every friday night at the coffee club in milton, and most of the weekends I'm out either riding the bike, or being a flag marshall at bike/quad events (anyone see the bike and monster truck thing at the RNA on saturday??? I was there in the thick of it!!!!)

adjusting to life here has been pretty easy to be honest. being at school, and getting a bike has helped both of us meet and make new friends, and the routine provided by school got us both settled down really quickly. Our neighbours have been great, and are always inviting us round for drinks, and food. they cut the grass and put the bin out for us!!! couldn't ask for more!!!

We don't mind the heat, we cover up in the sun, drink plenty of water, and don't let the dogs play with toads in the garden!

all in all it's been totally the right decision to move here and I don't think either of us could be happier.

Brisben Jan 24th 2007 12:09 pm

Re: First year in Brisbane

Excellent post like a fairytale story...I hope my transisiton is as fortunate as yours.:)

Stitch Jan 24th 2007 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by YoSemite (Post 4318933)
well we've now been here for a year and 5 days... I can hardly believe it!!

Our arrival and first couple of weeks weren't the best to be honest. I had the flu (proper flu), so the flight was pretty horiffic for me. Thank goodness we'd decided to treat ourselves and fly business class, because if I was that sick in cattle class I may have just had to kill myself (or stay in hong kong till I got better!).

The day we arrived it must have been esaily 49c (ok mid 30s!!) and coming from Scotland it was a real shock to the system (+ the added problem of flu!). Previously I've always arrived in melbourne at the beginning of december so it's always been slightly cooler.

The first week was spent house hunting, me with flu - hels with sunstroke!!! NOICE!!!!!! The intro to renting a house in australia was hardcore. every house we went and saw had about another 10-20 people viewing it at the same time and I just wasn't comfortable with that at all. I also felt really strange looking round houses when the tenants stuff was still in there.... still don't like that idea to be honest. We found a great (but slightly expensive) house in Woolloongabba and moved in at the beginning of feb.

The end of th feb found us heading off to get the dogs from quarantine. Someone (me!) got the dates mixed up and we ended up having to stay in sydney for an extra night, and bomb it back up the road so we were home in time for school on monday!!! the dogs were over the moon to see us. Brogan had lost a bit of weight, but bailey was really really sick with an hear infection that the AQIS folks either hadn't noticed, or hadn't done anything about. So getting that sorted was our first trip to the vet!!!!!!!!

The rest of the year faily flew by.... april was my birthday and we had a bbq in the yard. couple of expats made it along and a very merry night was had by all.

June/july we headed back over to the UK for 2 weeks to sort out some stuff which hadn't been dealt with before we left. And although it was great to see everyone again - it didn't feel like home at all. we were really relieved to get back to brisbane again.

August I sat my motorcycle test, and since getting a bike I've made an unreal amount of new friends out there in biker land. I spend every friday night at the coffee club in milton, and most of the weekends I'm out either riding the bike, or being a flag marshall at bike/quad events (anyone see the bike and monster truck thing at the RNA on saturday??? I was there in the thick of it!!!!)

adjusting to life here has been pretty easy to be honest. being at school, and getting a bike has helped both of us meet and make new friends, and the routine provided by school got us both settled down really quickly. Our neighbours have been great, and are always inviting us round for drinks, and food. they cut the grass and put the bin out for us!!! couldn't ask for more!!!

We don't mind the heat, we cover up in the sun, drink plenty of water, and don't let the dogs play with toads in the garden!

all in all it's been totally the right decision to move here and I don't think either of us could be happier.

Sounds like it's all working out well.. Can't believe it's been that long.

All the best for the next year.

Cheers

Ginny

belleandscone Feb 2nd 2007 12:33 pm

Excellent post, so glad your settling in well, can't believe it's been over a year since you left. Really glad it's working out for you. Don't want to nag but be bloody careful on that bike of yours;)

Your not missing anything here, it's rained nearly every day since October.

All the best.
Clairex

YoSemite Feb 2nd 2007 1:05 pm

yup I'll be careful!!! I've been knocked off once already. hit and run, no damage to bike as I managed to keep it upright, but lovely scar on my leg!!!! still... won't swap my bike for the world!!!!!

belleandscone Feb 2nd 2007 1:14 pm

Your very lucky, thats the thing it's not what you do it all the other drivers around you, glad your enjoying having your bike tho, nearly got my license a few years ago but my bottle crashed:o
Clairex