First weeks in Cairns

Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Still chucking it down in Redlynch and if the roads get blocked I get paid a 'flood day!' if I can't get to work

The SES send out a multi-seater flood boat. Just wait at the bus stop.

There is no way QH will let you have the day off!!

WW
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:00 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Still chucking it down in Redlynch and if the roads get blocked I get paid a 'flood day!' if I can't get to work

you wont get flooded in there.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:09 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
well my recent dabble with the uppers is over and i am now facing the cold sober realities of life. with recent interest rate rises and the rain and several large developers in cairns pulling the plug these are uncertain times. Hedley group has put a stop to a couple of major projects and cec group is suspending its housing operation. 10 houses a week to zero. overnight. how this will will all unfold is anyones guess. but the fact that we get 90% of our work from these two groups cannot be good. i think i need another script.
Is CEC Group in trouble then?
Can't believe our luck if they are
Beth x x
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

well my recent dabble with the uppers is over and i am now facing the cold sober realities of life. with recent interest rate rises and the rain and several large developers in cairns pulling the plug these are uncertain times. Hedley group has put a stop to a couple of major projects and cec group is suspending its housing operation. 10 houses a week to zero. overnight. how this will will all unfold is anyones guess. but the fact that we get 90% of our work from these two groups cannot be good. i think i need another script.
According to the paper CEC was just reducing overheads by introducing more effiecient plant.

A building industry slowdown has been slowly coming, maybe now things will just run on normal rather than the previous think of a really big number, double it and add a bit more building prices during the boom. I think it will hurt those in the building industry who went out and bought all those 'boys toys' on the basis of 'happy days are here again'. They will find they wont be able to afford the recently gained pleasures as they have to work the extra hours to maintain their income.

AS for Hedley they have so many signs across Cairns, that maybe they cant resource them all or they were marginal projects in the first place.

It will probably mean older properties will be renovated and upgraded to current standrads rather than let go in preference to a new build. There are a cople of hotels that fall into that category.

WW
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Beth x x
There was something in the paper about the exorbitant costs they were facing bring large migrant families to the country.

WW
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:27 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Beth x x
who knows? they have just had another project on false cape go tits up aswell. various reports in the media and lots of speculation but who knows. i guess we will all know in the next few months. various factors are going to affect a lot of companies and there employees in the year ahead. interest rates are the big one. im not sure how cairns or whether cairns property will de value. building costs are so high it costs you virtually what the property will be worth when finished. ie. build cost $500,000. house value $500,000 to $550,000. the cost of materials is inlikely to drop and labour costs have not increased significantly in recent times so what will happen nobody knows.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:30 am
youngy73

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
According to the paper CEC was just reducing overheads by introducing more effiecient plant.

A building industry slowdown has been slowly coming, maybe now things will just run on normal rather than the previous think of a really big number, double it and add a bit more building prices during the boom. I think it will hurt those in the building industry who went out and bought all those 'boys toys' on the basis of 'happy days are here again'. They will find they wont be able to afford the recently gained pleasures as they have to work the extra hours to maintain their income.

AS for Hedley they have so many signs across Cairns, that maybe they cant resource them all or they were marginal projects in the first place.

It will probably mean older properties will be renovated and upgraded to current standrads rather than let go in preference to a new build. There are a cople of hotels that fall into that category.

WW
why renovate a hotel.strength of the $ = fewer tourists.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:32 am
youngy73

[QUOTE=wanderingwombat;6015083]According to the paper CEC was just reducing overheads by introducing more effiecient plant.

i suppose you have to try and protect your share price.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:42 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

There is no way QH will let you have the day off!!

WW
You're probably right

you wont get flooded in there.
Bummer You're probably right too, my usual route through Freshwater is under water but there's two other options unforuneately
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:45 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

who knows? they have just had another project on false cape go tits up aswell. various reports in the media and lots of speculation but who knows. i guess we will all know in the next few months. various factors are going to affect a lot of companies and there employees in the year ahead. interest rates are the big one. im not sure how cairns or whether cairns property will de value. building costs are so high it costs you virtually what the property will be worth when finished. ie. build cost $500,000. house value $500,000 to $550,000. the cost of materials is inlikely to drop and labour costs have not increased significantly in recent times so what will happen nobody knows.
i suppose that false cape development going tits up has nothing to do with crap health and safety standards and the death of a worker under a large rock late last year
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=youngy73;6015165]

i suppose you have to try and protect your share price.
Tilt up panels are not really suited for houses. The level of finish for a house is quite different for a warehouse. Co-ordination of services and panel accuracy are critical. Efficiency comes through volume & Cairns isnt a big enough market to get the volume. It's not the first time panels have been tried and wont be the last.

I suspect they will have 'supply problems' with the plant and quietly abandon the idea.

WW
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

i suppose that false cape development going tits up has nothing to do with crap health and safety standards and the death of a worker under a large rock late last year
Steep hillsides around here are held together with boulders and rainforest trees. Remove one and it all starts to unravel. False Cap is a case in point. It may have been intended as a millionaire's haven however the land development costs must have been horrendous which would have priced it out of the market.

WW
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:53 pm
youngy73

your right. that had nothing to do with it. cec are just the contractors. the people with thew money are in the shit.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:05 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Cairns is a really beautiful place and does have a lot going for it but do you ever feel isolated?
BS
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:11 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

That's bit worrying for OH job propsects! Looks like I will find work but he will just have to be a man of leisure!
BS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.