First weeks in Cairns

Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns

Originally Posted by youngy73
cairns isn't cheap.
Oh God! Now don't get me doubting my proposed destination yet again!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh God! Now don't get me doubting my proposed destination yet again!
Don't get your knickers in a twist Sal.
We're talking million dollar real estate here.

My rates are half what I paid in the UK.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Liz.

Yes, Redlynch is on a bus route. Covers all of Redlynch except the valley. Latest one from the CBD looks like just after midnight at 12.16am.
Here's the timetables
http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_index_cairns.php
I would take a taxi though.

The paperwork for an RSMS goes through the usual vetting process by a Case Officer. If the CO has not asked for anything else then it does sound like it's just the meds approval being awaited.....then visa grant.

Don't know where the backpackers advertise but the Cairns Post is the paper you need.

The wet season will finish when it stops raining
We've had some lovely days which would have been good for a trip to either island. Pot luck and something you can arrange last minute though.
Worth a chat with a local or two who will know what the visibilty is like for snorkling if that's what you mean.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:20 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't get your knickers in a twist Sal.
We're talking million dollar real estate here.

My rates are half what I paid in the UK.
mine are double what they were in the uk (it has been 8 years though) and my wages are half what they were 8 years ago. tit for tat i suppose. cairns is a very expensive place to live. the bus service is a joke and not to be relied upon and the possiblity of getting a taxi on a saturday night are slim to none(beleive me, we have tried). i still love living here otherwise i wouldnt be here but cairns is not cheap. everything, even the fruit that is grown here is more expensive than any of the major cities. plus it rains alot, ( just thought i would throw that one in)especially today.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't know where the backpackers advertise but the Cairns Post is the paper you need.
Sunbus.!!! Never seen a bus go round a roundabout on two wheels before!!!

I did a quick search on www.carsales.com.au , there's a nice Kombi in WA for $36K

Cairns Post. That's online now isn't it, www.cairns.com.au
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

mine are double what they were in the uk (it has been 8 years though) and my wages are half what they were 8 years ago. tit for tat i suppose. cairns is a very expensive place to live. the bus service is a joke and not to be relied upon and the possiblity of getting a taxi on a saturday night are slim to none(beleive me, we have tried). i still love living here otherwise i wouldnt be here but cairns is not cheap. everything, even the fruit that is grown here is more expensive than any of the major cities. plus it rains alot, ( just thought i would throw that one in)especially today.
It is a good job you don't work for the tourist board..no-one would visit Cairns!!
Well, our rates will be halved in Cairns, we pay £110 a month in U.K for council tax and that doesn't include any water rates!! Also for £180,000 here we would only get a small house whereas we can have a detached there for that, with a double garage for the camper van and bikes!We are aware that it rains there but we live in manchester at the moment and it rains nearly every day, all year round..and it is either windy with that or bloody cold. Youngy, I hate to say it but you do sound like a "whinging pom". The grass may not be greener but it is still a beautiful part of the world and we can't wait to get there. if we decide it rains too much then we (I) have the option in a few years time of running my own sports podiatry business in Noosa so we wil keep our options open. Somethingmust have attracted you to Cairns in the first place..and it can't be that bad or you wouldn't still be there.
We have looked at property prices in Noosa, Sydney and North of Brisabane and they aren't any cheaper than Cairns is.

Have you ever tried getting a taxi in Manxhester on a Saturday night after 1 a.m???

Bix, I have just seen your message under your posts..you cheeky bugger..probably true though..watch out!
Lizx
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

A point I've made a few times on BE is that comparison of costs are relative to what and where you came from, to what and where you have come to.
It's not as easy as looking at cold figures as it depends so much on the personal circumstances of the individual.....what they are accustomed to if you like.

In our case we came from the sticks in UK terms. Cornwall was granted status 5 by the EU (think that was what they called it) which in effect recognised the county was an area of high poverty. There were some other UK areas too I believe.

Now Cornwall is a beautiful county but because it's in the sticks everything is expensive. Even house prices were high due to the large number of holiday second homes. Wages were very low due to a captive workforce. You want to live in Cornwall ? then you accept low wages.

I was on a wage of 19 grand for 15 years up until we emigrated and the 4 of us lived on that. We always put the kids and a decent house ahead of holidays or luxuries. We only had 1 family holiday. A cheapo out of season 4 day stay at Butlins.

Now we're in Cairns having never lived in a city before. We are spoilt for choice with shops and entertainment and things to do.....many of which are free. Housing stock is still on the low side if you compare with other Aus cities. My wages are higher. petrol is cheap. Council and water rates are AUD 1800. They were GBP 1500 in 2004 but I'm sure they've gone up over there !

So it is relative and from my perspective the cost of living is lower here and I certainly wouldn't agree that Cairns is an expensive place to live.

It doesn't worry me if the cost of a banana or a plank of wood costs 3 times the amount here as I know we make it back on other items.

.....and I love the wet season
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:09 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
It is a good job you don't work for the tourist board..no-one would visit Cairns!!
Well, our rates will be halved in Cairns, we pay £110 a month in U.K for council tax and that doesn't include any water rates!! Also for £180,000 here we would only get a small house whereas we can have a detached there for that, with a double garage for the camper van and bikes!We are aware that it rains there but we live in manchester at the moment and it rains nearly every day, all year round..and it is either windy with that or bloody cold. Youngy, I hate to say it but you do sound like a "whinging pom". The grass may not be greener but it is still a beautiful part of the world and we can't wait to get there. if we decide it rains too much then we (I) have the option in a few years time of running my own sports podiatry business in Noosa so we wil keep our options open. Somethingmust have attracted you to Cairns in the first place..and it can't be that bad or you wouldn't still be there.
We have looked at property prices in Noosa, Sydney and North of Brisabane and they aren't any cheaper than Cairns is.

Have you ever tried getting a taxi in Manxhester on a Saturday night after 1 a.m???

Bix, I have just seen your message under your posts..you cheeky bugger..probably true though..watch out!
Lizx
i think you will find that that everything i have said is true. not only on this post but every other time i have posted. i have been lucky enough to live on three different continents and have travelled throughout the world. i choose to live in cairns as it offers everything that i want from life. not once have i knocked cairns. read again what i have posted. they are honest comments from someone who has lived here for over 4 years and has experienced most of what the area has to offer.many people come here on holiday and hope to " live the dream" but in reality cairns is a regional city with a pop of 130,000. things are expensive here in comparison to other areas of australia due to its location and services are limited (health, transport etc)in comparison to the uk. for me it doesnt feel remote but the reality is that it is. but i think you hit the nail on the head when you said i shouldnt work for the tourist board. emmigrating is not a holiday and i do not believe should be treated that way. if you want a holiday look at a brochure not a migration forum.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the really insightful comments guys & gals!

Not worried about rain, only about cold!
At the end of the day, we will be going where I can find a suitable job & I know my kids & OH will be able to do the things they want to do. We have lived abroad before & so are realistic in our expectations & I don't think that I can reasearch anymore or I shall be completely insane with information overload
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:29 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Why would anyone want to move to Cairns?
Snake eats wallaby:http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html
More cases of Dengue Fever:http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html
'Thug gang bashes woman':http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html
Teens pelt police with bottles:http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html

It's all happening in Cairn's!

BS
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:27 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Why would anyone want to move to Cairns?
Snake eats wallaby:http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html
More cases of Dengue Fever:http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html
'Thug gang bashes woman':http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html
Teens pelt police with bottles:http://www.cairns.com.au/article/200...ocal-news.html

It's all happening in Cairn's!

BS
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

i think you will find that that everything i have said is true. not only on this post but every other time i have posted. i have been lucky enough to live on three different continents and have travelled throughout the world. i choose to live in cairns as it offers everything that i want from life. not once have i knocked cairns. read again what i have posted. they are honest comments from someone who has lived here for over 4 years and has experienced most of what the area has to offer.many people come here on holiday and hope to " live the dream" but in reality cairns is a regional city with a pop of 130,000. things are expensive here in comparison to other areas of australia due to its location and services are limited (health, transport etc)in comparison to the uk. for me it doesnt feel remote but the reality is that it is. but i think you hit the nail on the head when you said i shouldnt work for the tourist board. emmigrating is not a holiday and i do not believe should be treated that way. if you want a holiday look at a brochure not a migration forum.
it wasn't a personal attack on you and shouldn't be taken that way..but some positives would be nice and what we have looked at isn't anymore expensive than the U.K. I too, have lived in 3 different countries before..
I am not expecting it to be a holiday, otherwise I wouldn't have a job lined up there..a permanent one, nor would I be coming over with my partner who hasn't found one yet! Nor would I be renting my house out here, giving a good job up and my partner giving up a 12 year career! We take it very seriously, the move that is and have every intention of staying there. I am insulted that you think I am going there for a holiday. I have already done that thanks.
I am sure most of Australia is more expensive than it used to be and we are not moving because we think it is cheap. We are moving because we loved the area, the facilities and the fact it was remote!! I hate large cities which is why I hate built up Manchester.
When I lived in Austria I could never have afforded a house and if you want expensive try living in Switzerland!
I also didn't say that anything you have said is not true!!
I have obviously touched a nerve and in return received a personal attack stating I should not be on a migration forum and that I am looking for a holiday!
I will be on double the wage in Oz that I am on here for a 4 day week..and plan to use my 3 days off to travel around the region. What is wrong with that?
I won't reply to amymore of your posts as I am obviously not allowed an opinion just becuase I don't live there yet.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:20 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

it wasn't a personal attack on you and shouldn't be taken that way..but some positives would be nice and what we have looked at isn't anymore expensive than the U.K. I too, have lived in 3 different countries before..
I am not expecting it to be a holiday, otherwise I wouldn't have a job lined up there..a permanent one, nor would I be coming over with my partner who hasn't found one yet! Nor would I be renting my house out here, giving a good job up and my partner giving up a 12 year career! We take it very seriously, the move that is and have every intention of staying there. I am insulted that you think I am going there for a holiday. I have already done that thanks.
I am sure most of Australia is more expensive than it used to be and we are not moving because we think it is cheap. We are moving because we loved the area, the facilities and the fact it was remote!! I hate large cities which is why I hate built up Manchester.
When I lived in Austria I could never have afforded a house and if you want expensive try living in Switzerland!
I also didn't say that anything you have said is not true!!
I have obviously touched a nerve and in return received a personal attack stating I should not be on a migration forum and that I am looking for a holiday!
I will be on double the wage in Oz that I am on here for a 4 day week..and plan to use my 3 days off to travel around the region. What is wrong with that?
I won't reply to amymore of your posts as I am obviously not allowed an opinion just becuase I don't live there yet.
Liz.....I'm shocked!!!! You're going to let a man get the better of you?!!!
Come on.....
Beth x x
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Liz.....I'm shocked!!!! You're going to let a man get the better of you?!!!
Come on.....
Beth x x
ha ha, yeh..you are right. Don't know why I bothered replying! Hey, guess what? Had an e mail from case officer today saying as soon as she gets my meds from LCU she will finalise the visa application straight away..and that she has put it to the top of her list. It is worth hassling people sometimes!
Lizx
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:30 am
Make it happen!!!!

ha ha, yeh..you are right. Don't know why I bothered replying! Hey, guess what? Had an e mail from case officer today saying as soon as she gets my meds from LCU she will finalise the visa application straight away..and that she has put it to the top of her list. It is worth hassling people sometimes!
Lizx
That's more like it
Brilliant news about visa!!! Shouldn't be too much longer now then
Beth x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.