Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

First trip back after 10 months.......

First trip back after 10 months.......

Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:58 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back after 10 months.......

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I agree with you joho.. but OP's post was daft in the fact she said everyone in UK was miserable, depressed and skint. Just not true, very over dramatised, but if thats how people cope, nothing any of us can do about it.
We are all so different and that is a good thing, if we were all the same, christ that would be dull!
Maybe her wording was all wrong, but no-ones perfect
What I actually said was " Everyone is so miserable (maybe cos i'm spending most of my time in the heart ward of the local hospital) but it just seems so "bleak". The weather hasn't been that bad - its only rained 5 days out of the 8 i have been here, but everything on the news is depressing, everyone in the shops is miserable, no ones got any money and they are all trading in their old gold for a bit of extra cash (actually that did cause a minor bit of excitement when my auntie got £50 for a broken bracelet and a bent ring)."

..............and I stand by it. Its my perception of the experience I have had since I returned. It still is. Why is it daft? And why is my wording all wrong? Its my perception of my experience so I can word it how I like. Of course I have not met every single person in the UK and so maybe my perceptions are not based on a statistically significant sample - but it is not overdramatised - i waited 20 minutes in a shop when i needed help only to be grunted at. It is true that there isnt anything good on the news - only yesterday the news was full of the biggest recession ever seen in the UK. Excuse me for not seeing the positive side of that.

I refuse to defend myself any further on this issue. I posted an update as I thought people may be interested seeing as so many people have said previously on this forum that going back so soon was really difficult, caused them to feel unsettled and really homesick when they got back to Oz. My experience is different. If people cannot take it in the lighthearted spirit in which it was intended then that's their issue, not mine.

So you dont agree with me? So what? Shoot me! Adios!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:07 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
It will be very interesting to read your update after being back in the UK for 10 months. Remember you have been gone a very long time, you may not like what you find.
i spend extended time there every year , yes my income will be lower , no the house i buy wont be as expensive as here ,no it wont be bigger , no i wont have as bigger vehicle , yes i will live closer to the sea, no the weather wont be as good , yes my social life will be better ,yes the people will moan more ,yes the beer will be cheaper ,no the food wont be any dearer , yes my gas bill will the same as my aircon bill ,no there wont be anymore violence there than northbridge on a weekend,yes there will be more interesting places to go and see, yes ill only be and hour and half from london ,and finally yes i will feel like i belong .Its just the same s**t in a lot more interesting bucket . In my opinion

Last edited by king kong; Oct 25th 2009 at 3:11 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Can someone please tell me how long do I have to live here for to know it is right for me?

Please tell me because at the moment I am happy but I suspect I am missing the rolling green fields, London Museums, and all the other parts you are meant to miss.

Can I also ask, that if many of you knew Australia wasnt right for you the moment you stepped off the plane, how do you know you are not in denial, I mean a few days, a few months or a couple of years?

So how long does it take to feel settled and happy?

And what happens if like me, you have a partner that works shifts and you can spend a bit of time on your own and you want to catch up with online mates - which are REAL mates, unless the likes of Gobbyjock, Sam, etc are pretend people? Today I have felt ill with my asthma so I have chosen to keep my pc on all day - so what?

Because if it means we cannot possibly be happy if we are still posting on British Expats to whatever volume we choose, then what the pissing hell are we ALL doing on here - including anyone that 'claims' their life is just as happy in the UK?

If you think we justify our lives too much then please have a word with yourselves because you are all guilty of the same thing 'home and loving it' or whatever it is you all say.

Go and piss on someone elses bonfire because I reserve the right to be happy in my life and noone has the right to belittle that.

And I guess that goes for everyone of us.
within 2 weeks of my arrival, I KNEW.... through good times and bad, I know where home is, and I cant wait to get back

what works for some, doesnt for others, which is great or we'd all be piled up in one place

Good luck I say to anyone who knows where they want to be, and can be there

edited to say I lived in oz for 30+ years

Last edited by jayde; Oct 25th 2009 at 6:55 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:19 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayde
within 2 weeks of my arrival, I KNEW.... through good times and bad, I know where home is, and I cant wait to get back

what works for some, doesnt for others, which is great or we'd all be piled up in one place

Good luck I say to anyone who knows where they want to be, and can be there

edited to say I lived in oz for 30+ years
Exactly - some of us just know what feels like home to us and those feelings should not be dismissed.

Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Two wrongs don't make a right mate

At the end of the day, why don't we all accept everyone has their own viewpoint and ponyrama has as much right to theirs as anyone has to their own
(!)

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
'Oh you cant love it, you are deluded'
'The rose tinted/Godzoner brigade'
'I hate the UK, God they are mad for not loving Australia'
'Oh shit, another Daily Mail reader'
'How can anyone like the UK/Oz?'
It's endless, isn't it?

Originally Posted by king kong
well we all have to have a little dig at times i guess , but i do find the sugary sweet australia is the nuts and we dont want to listen to anyones opinions attitudes of GODZ OWN ,rather annoying .
It reminds me of an american tv show in there , ''oh yes it great '' oh please let me lick your balls today .oh no its my turn i insist lickey lickey .
Funny you should say that, I find that the MBTUK forum seems exactly the same to be honest - a sugary sweet, little Englander, existence. 'Isn't it lovely', 'oh never mind love - chin up'. 'Draw your net curtains, deary - have a glass of wine and a full English, and clean your front room'. 'Went for walk in the dew-lined lanes, saw a Robin, and an otter, and it was lovely. Hubby did this, hubby did that. Who cares about long winters when you have a week over Christmas and carolling in the laneways.' Sounds the same to me. I suppose at least the new arrivals in Australia are doing something new and exciting - if only for them, a short while!

You know my view - at the end of the day, Australia attracts a particular type of British person who in some ways should never have made the move in the first place! And some seem to like it here as much as the people who prefer to move back...

You know, I think BE has reached a fairly even equilibrium recently. Lots of balance, and good experiences recorded for the benefit of all. Less of the 'I hate it here and so must you' attitude. In fact, there are lots of once negative posters returning with more balanced attitudes, and less people posting just to be bitter! Some of the negative people are even quite funny..What goes on tour, stays on tour, but nonetheless no names!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Kong - I'm just wondering - if we banned all update posts, and clichy, social posts from the Australia forum would that make easier reading?

There would be no discussion of whose life was going well, or who had arrived and had bought a BBQ. At the end of the day, these must amount to most of the upbeat zone posts. There would be little discussion of who was going to be having a gathering due to especially fine weather expected et cetera.

Ban all talk of cold beer, dolphins and whalewatching and all of a sudden, noone would have to put up with any 'GODZONING'.

Then we could concentrate on the posts from those who focus on a rewarding life, the sort of people who would be welcome in any country, the sort of people for which there are solutions to many a problem.

But noone can help with people posting positive, thoughtful, or ***** me, rational replies to people who just want to be ignorant and inflammatory, especially when its their lives who haven't turned out as expected or hoped! That has never been a crime as far as I am aware!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:46 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Kong - I'm just wondering - if we banned all update posts, and clichy, social posts from the Australia forum would that make easier reading?

There would be no discussion of whose life was going well, or who had arrived and had bought a BBQ. At the end of the day, these must amount to most of the upbeat zone posts. There would be little discussion of who was going to be having a gathering due to especially fine weather expected et cetera.

Ban all talk of cold beer, dolphins and whalewatching and all of a sudden, noone would have to put up with any 'GODZONING'.

Then we could concentrate on the posts from those who focus on a rewarding life, the sort of people who would be welcome in any country, the sort of people for which there are solutions to many a problem.

But noone can help with people posting positive, thoughtful, or ***** me, rational replies to people who just want to be ignorant and inflammatory, especially when its their lives who haven't turned out as expected or hoped! That has never been a crime as far as I am aware!
How about we just make the whole site .aussie is great and the uk is crap .That would suit wouldnt it .The fact is the people that think aussie is great outnumber the ones who want to go back by about 10 to 1 . Honestly it doesnt take much to get your little insecurities going does it .
Now if i was you , i wouldnt be taking any notice of me after all you are surrounded by people who think like you ,so wheres the problem or is it a case of not letting the minority have an opinion ,which is more the case .
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How about we just make the whole site .aussie is great and the uk is crap .That would suit wouldnt it .The fact is the people that think aussie is great outnumber the ones who want to go back by about 10 to 1 . Honestly it doesnt take much to get your little insecurities going does it .
Now if i was you , i wouldnt be taking any notice of me after all you are surrounded by people who think like you ,so wheres the problem or is it a case of not letting the minority have an opinion ,which is more the case .
Think you'll find I was agreeing with you in some part...

Anyhow - I've never maintained religiously that we should have UK is crap and Australia is great. (I'm glad that apparently the numbers are apparently 10 to 1, less heartache for all. Real figures suggest more than that return... Nothing to do with minority posters, more about anger...)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 26th 2009 at 3:01 am.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:38 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Think you'll find I was agreeing with you in some part...

Anyhow - I've never maintained religiously that we should have UK is crap and Australia is great. (I'm glad that apparently the numbers are apparently 10 to 1, less heartache for all. Real figures suggest more than that return... Nothing to do with minority posters, more about anger...)
i apologise , my mistake .
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i apologise , my mistake .
Thanks mate. And for the PM too!

Fook me, I tell ya, this constant UK/Australia is pants and you are not allowed to enjoy either of them is the death (or making) of this site.

I can understand people preferring one aspect of life in the other country, or finding it more in one than the other...for them, and their peers...and even working out why that might be the case for some...

But, for me in the final analysis, it is ludicrous to get angry about someone enjoying something. I'd sooner concentrate on working out how to solve what was stopping me from doing the same!

Anyone taking a quick sortie into the MBTUK forum can see that I have just posted a reply to a thread where there is some definitive UK Godzoning going on........alll good stuff....

cheers
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate. And for the PM too!

Fook me, I tell ya, this constant UK/Australia is pants and you are not allowed to enjoy either of them is the death (or making) of this site.
Such is life

You need not understand why another enjoys life from something you do not. What is more important is you wish them well and focus on what you enjoy for fulfilment.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Such is life

You need not understand why another enjoys life from something you do not. What is more important is you wish them well and focus on what you enjoy for fulfilment.
That's the thing though, people don't want to wish people well. They get angry...

Inequality at the end of the day. People hurt when they don't get what they want - and then want to abscribe it to something.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:32 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing though, people don't want to wish people well. They get angry...

Inequality at the end of the day. People hurt when they don't get what they want - and then want to abscribe it to something.
I was leaving out estate agents
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I was leaving out estate agents
lol.

My first brush with real estate ridicule came when someone said that they wore white socks with black shoes. I could let that one go.

Then I moved to Australia where I discovered they plastered themselves on boards like local politicians. It's no skin off my nose, when I want to buy or sell a house they tend to come in handy, moreorless.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

lol.

My first brush with real estate ridicule came when someone said that they wore white socks with black shoes. I could let that one go.

Then I moved to Australia where I discovered they plastered themselves on boards like local politicians. It's no skin off my nose, when I want to buy or sell a house they tend to come in handy, moreorless.
I never noticed the socks but I have noticed that there is virtually an entire paper dedicated to them with photos of their faces everywhere as though they are famous.

Whats that all about? I am tempted to go into their agents and beg for an autograph and say 'Hey you, aren't you that guy from the papers?'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.