Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

First trip back after 10 months.......

First trip back after 10 months.......

Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back after 10 months.......

DONT DO IT!!! there would be an ego explosion. The bloke we got our house through had really pointy shoes that curled up at the ends. Hubby used to call him Lionel Blair.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I never noticed the socks but I have noticed that there is virtually an entire paper dedicated to them with photos of their faces everywhere as though they are famous.

Whats that all about? I am tempted to go into their agents and beg for an autograph and say 'Hey you, aren't you that guy from the papers?'
I wanna see the houses, not their proletarian mugs.

Originally Posted by RenShen
DONT DO IT!!! there would be an ego explosion. The bloke we got our house through had really pointy shoes that curled up at the ends. Hubby used to call him Lionel Blair.
Classic. Even showing a passing interest in a home at a open viewing they think is tantamount to engaging in some highly important business the like which has not been seen since Hitler was appeased at Munich in 1938. Business cards get taken out, there is much personal preening...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 26th 2009 at 10:49 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
How about we just make the whole site .aussie is great and the uk is crap .That would suit wouldnt it .The fact is the people that think aussie is great outnumber the ones who want to go back by about 10 to 1 . Honestly it doesnt take much to get your little insecurities going does it .
Now if i was you , i wouldnt be taking any notice of me after all you are surrounded by people who think like you ,so wheres the problem or is it a case of not letting the minority have an opinion ,which is more the case .
There are actually a huge number of people on this site who have no real opinion on Australia, having moved to completely different countries.

=======================================
Everyone's opinions are welcome on BE, but please can some of you be a little more careful about how you voice those opinions. Everyone is different, no-one is "right" or "wrong" as we all feel differently about where we live and the countries of which we have experience.
A bit of tolerance goes a long way.......
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are actually a huge number of people on this site who have no real opinion on Australia, having moved to completely different countries.

=======================================
Everyone's opinions are welcome on BE, but please can some of you be a little more careful about how you voice those opinions. Everyone is different, no-one is "right" or "wrong" as we all feel differently about where we live and the countries of which we have experience.
A bit of tolerance goes a long way.......
Apart from estate agents, who are just soooooooooooooooooo wrong
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Apart from estate agents, who are just soooooooooooooooooo wrong
Thought that might incur the wrath from some quarters - not the Mods - but I think the profession can take the knocks!!!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

I don't often post on here anymore but some of the comments posted have really irrated me. The OP went back to the UK to see her dad in hospital and certain members were so insensitive to slag her off because she found the UK depressing!! She spent the majority of her time in a cardiac ward, which is depressing where ever you are but you still feel the need to comment on that.........anyone who does that has no heart. Why do you feel the need to put someone down who is happy and settled where they are? Several posts disgust me and to be honest I hope i never meet the folk that posted these comments as they are obviousley very sad people.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissydeb
I don't often post on here anymore but some of the comments posted have really irrated me. The OP went back to the UK to see her dad in hospital and certain members were so insensitive to slag her off because she found the UK depressing!! She spent the majority of her time in a cardiac ward, which is depressing where ever you are but you still feel the need to comment on that.........anyone who does that has no heart. Why do you feel the need to put someone down who is happy and settled where they are? Several posts disgust me and to be honest I hope i never meet the folk that posted these comments as they are obviousley very sad people.
It is a shame some updates get trashed. Oh well.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kporte
It is a shame some updates get trashed. Oh well.
And that is supposed to mean what?!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Why not just accept that rather than pretending to be happy, they may actually be happy?Why is it such a hard concept for you to grasp? No one is questioning that you have made the right decision for you to move back, no one is saying you are only pretending to be happy, so why insult others?
Well said gobbyjock!!!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissydeb
And that is supposed to mean what?!
I was more or less agreeing with you. The "oh well" was supposed to indicate the inevitability of this happening on a forum such as this
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayde
within 2 weeks of my arrival, I KNEW.... through good times and bad, I know where home is, and I cant wait to get back

what works for some, doesnt for others, which is great or we'd all be piled up in one place

Good luck I say to anyone who knows where they want to be, and can be there

edited to say I lived in oz for 30+ years

since when has having an opinion been an insult , i will state again in my opinion i dont believe 10 months is long enough to form a judgement on anywhere . just as i cant form judgement on the uk in 10 months , there will no doubt be times in those 10 months where i will think ''what have i done '' but thats par for the course .
Blimey theres been people here who have posted after a few months and its the best thing since sliced bread .I just dont agree thats all and because my idea of an opinion doesnt suit yours ,is the very reason we are in dialouge .
I will never agree with what you say , and in regard to the origianl poster than if she so wished to post after even a couple of years then i could see there is a degree of time to gain the experience .Now that doesnt mean im right of course but nevertheless my opinion . just like you may have walked into perth airport and thought ''yep this is it '' , i cant say your wrong but i have a very valid opinion that you may be and vice versa .
I think there are many people either in Australia or the UK that know exactly what they want, where they want to be, what they like and what is right for them.

Some know it sooner than others.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:06 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think there are many people either in Australia or the UK that know exactly what they want, where they want to be, what they like and what is right for them.

Some know it sooner than others.
It was my opinion , it doesnt matter at the end of the day what the opinions are.But and there is always a BUT , what i am driving at is dynamics change ,situations change , relationships change . There are so many variables going on with migrants and sure people can ''feel'' at ''home'' but with some folks it doesnt take much for things to change that feeling . That could be general boredom with the place because maybe they feel ''isolated'', from family or the ability and affordability and time constraints to travel etc , thus not experiencing maybe what they dreamed about when coming to australia .
Its for this reason i did latch on to the 10 month thing and although i dont doubt the sincerity of the OP and ofcourse i was insensitve to her plight there as well which was out of order ,and i apologise for that .
I still believe you cant call this home untill you have set roots down , your family is settled here and they call it home . At the end of the day i know i personally felt very comfortable and at ''home '' in germany and in many respects a lot happier than here . I just think sometimes people especially new migrants have an enlightened moment and all of a sudden its ''home '' when infact they could be just very ''comfortable '' with their surroundings just as i have in mant parts of the world including perth in the early years .
I have tried to explain what i mean , most likely not too well but thats the best i can do .
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:26 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Its for this reason i did latch on to the 10 month thing and although i dont doubt the sincerity of the OP and ofcourse i was insensitve to her plight there as well which was out of order ,and i apologise for that .

I still believe you cant call this home untill you have set roots down , your family is settled here and they call it home .
Apology accepted - thank you.

Also - I have as much family here in Australia as I do back in the UK. My "Australian" family have been here for between 10 and 35 years - and they are never going back. Having them here, though some are in different states, has probably helped me feel so settled so quickly. My sister and her kids are here and I missed them as much when as I was in the UK as I miss my Dad now I am in Oz. Leaving my Dad again at the airport was hard but helped by the fact that he is doing really well after his surgery and I know that I am only ever a day away. Swings and roundabouts!

I am now back by the beach, just waxing up the board and I'm off to catch a few - Happy Days!

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:24 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Apology accepted - thank you.

Also - I have as much family here in Australia as I do back in the UK. My "Australian" family have been here for between 10 and 35 years - and they are never going back. Having them here, though some are in different states, has probably helped me feel so settled so quickly. My sister and her kids are here and I missed them as much when as I was in the UK as I miss my Dad now I am in Oz. Leaving my Dad again at the airport was hard but helped by the fact that he is doing really well after his surgery and I know that I am only ever a day away. Swings and roundabouts!

I am now back by the beach, just waxing up the board and I'm off to catch a few - Happy Days!

then in that case i can understand the easiness off settlement , its a huge help mentally if you have family here . You may never need them but its the feeling they are here that provides the comfort . Many who return feel the same but in reverse , it helps for sure .
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was my opinion , it doesnt matter at the end of the day what the opinions are.But and there is always a BUT , what i am driving at is dynamics change ,situations change , relationships change . There are so many variables going on with migrants and sure people can ''feel'' at ''home'' but with some folks it doesnt take much for things to change that feeling . That could be general boredom with the place because maybe they feel ''isolated'', from family or the ability and affordability and time constraints to travel etc , thus not experiencing maybe what they dreamed about when coming to australia .
I still believe you cant call this home untill you have set roots down , your family is settled here and they call it home . At the end of the day i know i personally felt very comfortable and at ''home '' in germany and in many respects a lot happier than here . I just think sometimes people especially new migrants have an enlightened moment and all of a sudden its ''home '' when infact they could be just very ''comfortable '' with their surroundings just as i have in mant parts of the world including perth in the early years .
I have tried to explain what i mean , most likely not too well but thats the best i can do .
Clear as mud mate.