Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

The first few months of Oz for me!

The first few months of Oz for me!

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:30 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Re: The first few months of Oz for me!

Originally Posted by saffron
I have just joined BE after a few months lurking (although I belong to other forums) and this is my first post. I have read the original posting about 12 times now and I have to say I thought I was the only person in Australia to feel like the lady who wrote it so in one way it's good to see I'm not but in another it is sad that other people feel lost and lonely too.

I have been in Perth for 4 months now and the words 'intensely emotional and vulnerable' and having a 'crushing sense of loss' could have been written by myself only I don't think I could be that articulate.

Unfortunately I have now been diagnosed with depression - something I never thought would happen to me.

I don't hate Perth, Australia or the people - in fact I have found the majority of people helpful and friendly. The problem is me and my terrible feeling of homesickness and all that I have left behind and can never get back.

I have no idea what the future holds for myself and my family - I can only hope I get over the way I feel. I'm not looking for advice on whether to go home or not - I know that only I can make the decision that is right for me.

Sorry this has been a bit of a ramble but I feel better for putting it in words.

Thanks for listening.
Hi saffron and welcome to BE and don't worry about rambbling I'm terrible.
Sorry to hear about you depression hun.
I get very worried about how I will cope without my support network around me as I used to suffer from depression very bad myself. I have been "ok" (I've had my moments) for about 3 yearsish with no meds. I do still get panick attacks and get very easily stressed so it worries me that it could turn back into depression. I had though about getting something to take before I went just incase then I can nip it before it gets bad.
I know its not going to be easy making this big move and I do have a very good supportive OH so I hope I will be ok and be able to cope, fingers crossed.
Does anyone have any tips on coping stratergies?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: The first few months of Oz for me!

I have just joined BE after a few months lurking (although I belong to other forums) and this is my first post. I have read the original posting about 12 times now and I have to say I thought I was the only person in Australia to feel like the lady who wrote it so in one way it's good to see I'm not but in another it is sad that other people feel lost and lonely too.

I have been in Perth for 4 months now and the words 'intensely emotional and vulnerable' and having a 'crushing sense of loss' could have been written by myself only I don't think I could be that articulate.

Unfortunately I have now been diagnosed with depression - something I never thought would happen to me.

I don't hate Perth, Australia or the people - in fact I have found the majority of people helpful and friendly. The problem is me and my terrible feeling of homesickness and all that I have left behind and can never get back.

I have no idea what the future holds for myself and my family - I can only hope I get over the way I feel. I'm not looking for advice on whether to go home or not - I know that only I can make the decision that is right for me.

Sorry this has been a bit of a ramble but I feel better for putting it in words.

Thanks for listening.
Great post Saffron, it's good to see people being honest but awful for you at the same time, i'm sure things will get easier as time goes on and you settle in and start making some stronger roots. Take care of yourself and your family, every person i've met on here is always ready to listen and offer advice if needed. Keep posting
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: The first few months of Oz for me!

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
I get very worried about how I will cope without my support network around me as I used to suffer from depression very bad myself. I have been "ok" (I've had my moments) for about 3 yearsish with no meds. I do still get panick attacks and get very easily stressed so it worries me that it could turn back into depression. I had though about getting something to take before I went just incase then I can nip it before it gets bad.
I know its not going to be easy making this big move and I do have a very good supportive OH so I hope I will be ok and be able to cope, fingers crossed.
Could try setting up a webcam and emailing people, keeping photo's close etc but also try to focus on the positive's that you have out there rather then looking at what you are missing. I'm not there yet but i anticipate that i'll be really homesick and miss things and people even though i think that i don't realise how much i actually have at the moment. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but i can only try and empathise with people. Keep your chin's up everyone who's struggling out there.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:37 am

Caggsy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vickys
Could try setting up a webcam and emailing people, keeping photo's close etc but also try to focus on the positive's that you have out there rather then looking at what you are missing. I'm not there yet but i anticipate that i'll be really homesick and miss things and people even though i think that i don't realise how much i actually have at the moment. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but i can only try and empathise with people. Keep your chin's up everyone who's struggling out there.
Good advice Vicky - lots of photo's around you and familar things from home that you love. It really is a different culture in Oz even though we speak the same language. Not sure about the web cam though - I couldn't acutally speak to my family friends on the phone without crying. Also don't cutt yourselves off, try to integrate asap, hook up with as many ex-pats as you can, good to compare notes and support eachother.

Keep thinking positive and remember why you wanted to leave England.

Cx
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:18 am
Just Joined

saffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts. I can relate to so much of it especially not being able to do the simplest thing like sorting out a Doctor's appointment.

I will look into taking St Johns Wort. The doctor offered me anti-depressants but I really don't want to go down that road.

Luckily I have a very supportive husband who knows how I feel and some friends here who don't know how I feel as I am pretending that nothing is wrong (probably not a good idea in the long run).

We didn't leave the UK because we hated it. I was wondering this afternoon whether people who leave the UK because they hate it settle better.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'm sure I'll get through this and make the right decision.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: WAS, stourbridge w.mids NOW Waikiki, W.A.Hear almost 3 yrs.and still loving it.
ROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of light

Buster..........................?................. ........

Arh........what a lovely honest post.

feel for u mate, but somehow , even though our meet was short i feel/ know it will all come / turn out just right for u .

keep up the post. u know we r all here, and there`s lots of us who will and can understand and love u to keep up with the `chat`.

and when i arrive , and am settled , u know there`s a blown up bed waiting for that get together.

right?

so , keep u`re pecker up, and take in all, that , IS out there. and continue to keep going.

got my eye on you mate.

claire.
x
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts. I can relate to so much of it especially not being able to do the simplest thing like sorting out a Doctor's appointment.

I will look into taking St Johns Wort. The doctor offered me anti-depressants but I really don't want to go down that road.

Luckily I have a very supportive husband who knows how I feel and some friends here who don't know how I feel as I am pretending that nothing is wrong (probably not a good idea in the long run).

We didn't leave the UK because we hated it. I was wondering this afternoon whether people who leave the UK because they hate it settle better.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'm sure I'll get through this and make the right decision.

Hi Saffron

I do think that people who leave the Uk as they hate it probably have more dogged determination to make it work and to love it here - you'd so want to wouldnt you.

I didnt get homesick really, I was lucky. I just enjoyed being somewhere different and whilst I did wonder if i could stay here long term, i didnt worry to much.
After about 18 months though, I began to really question if I wanted to stay. I wasnt homesick although I did miss the UK, or aspects of living there - humour, access to countryside, variety, etc etc.
Everyones different and some people just get homesick from the start, dont like it here or just dont feel they belong.
I'm a ping ponger & am now planning on moving back to UK soonish.
Again, wherver you are, I hope you manage to be very happy again soon
Byeee
T
xxx
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Good luck with the move. Hope you settle in easily
One thing I thinks really good is to view moving here as we'll see for a year or so. Saying we're migrating for ever is such a HUGE thing to get your head around, especially when you're here. I ended up viewing my time for citizenship alsmost as a sentence.
Doing different things to what you used to do in UK is good too - get into a new hobby, take up a new form of excercise etc. Use it as a proverbial kick up the bum.
Webcams are great, didnt have them when I moved here and its really good to see people regularly.
Go easy on yourself too
Not much help but a few ideas
Good luck everyone
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:42 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey BB
only just found this.
Its a really honest post, keep us up dated and you know where to find us if you need to. i hope it passes soon but i'm sure it will never fully go away - we've a life time in the UK behind us that just won't dissapear because we want it to- it makes us who we are (hope that last sentence makes sense and has come over the right way)
lots of love to N and little G x
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Caggsy
Good advice Vicky - lots of photo's around you and familar things from home that you love. It really is a different culture in Oz even though we speak the same language. Not sure about the web cam though - I couldn't acutally speak to my family friends on the phone without crying. Also don't cutt yourselves off, try to integrate asap, hook up with as many ex-pats as you can, good to compare notes and support eachother.

Keep thinking positive and remember why you wanted to leave England.

Cx
Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thewoodz
Hey BB
only just found this.
Its a really honest post, keep us up dated and you know where to find us if you need to. i hope it passes soon but i'm sure it will never fully go away - we've a life time in the UK behind us that just won't dissapear because we want it to- it makes us who we are (hope that last sentence makes sense and has come over the right way)
Agreed totally, what we've been through in life does make us who we are today, life is what you make of it, you have to move on from those negative times and focus on the good one's. We're all either going through or have gone through the process of starting afresh and posting on here makes it easier sometimes.
thanks everybody for the advice, keeping in touch with the one's who really matter is important but making new roots and doing new things is about making the future, we only live once, if it doesn't work out then at least you have given it your all, if it does work out then go get 'em and live life to the full.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:17 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

hey BB,
i have to say (and its not like me)
that was a fantastic first update!
loved the last bit
Old Jun 24th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post BB and Saffron, take care and I hope it all comes good.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:21 am
Just Joined

saffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nicesaffron is just really nice

I've started taking St Johns Wort now and am hoping I will feel better soon.

Thanks for the advice about it.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:14 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thewoodz
Hey BB
only just found this.
Just wanted to echo that post really.

Hope things ease for you, I'm sure we all have the same to come.

Take care

Kath x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.