British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Finally made it - with your help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/finally-made-your-help-920004/)

DML Dec 7th 2018 10:37 am

Finally made it - with your help!

Well, we finally made it. Myself, my wife and our two kids became citizens on Dec 1st. Although I have lived here before in the mid 90s for a couple of years, my current family arrived in July 2013 on 457 visas sponsored by the RFDS. Spent best part of three and a bit years based in Broken Hill and had an amazing time. I fell in love with the Australian outback and the wonderful people who live there through thick and thin. Their resilience in the face of so much isolation and adversity was humbling. For our part, we had some difficult decisions to make too. This was especially when we had to decide whether to go for PR with no certainty of success or return to the UK. This was made worse when the agreement between the NSW Health Dept and federal government had to be re-negotiated just after we decided to go for it and sent in our application. Our 186 application remained on hold for several nail biting months before finally being granted. In late 2016 we decided to move to the coast and settled in the southern suburbs of Adelaide. Many reasons for this, including my wife's wish to return to a tertiary hospital facility for work and me feeling my time was up with the RFDS. Fortunately managed to land on my feet with another amazing job in outback Australia - this time working as a FIFO remote GP for an aboriginal health organisation serving the western side of the APY Lands. Well, this has to be the best job I have ever had. I work with an incredible team of nurses and work in a stunningly beautiful part of the outback thats off limits to most Australians. It has its challenges of course, but that just adds to the appeal. My kids are settled and happy in school and we all love our lives in Australia and are really grateful for all the opportunities this country has given us. We are also eternally grateful to so many members of this forum who have helped and advised us along the way - thank you.

old.sparkles Dec 7th 2018 12:37 pm

Re: Finally made it - with your help!

Originally Posted by DML (Post 12605318)
Well, we finally made it. Myself, my wife and our two kids became citizens on Dec 1st. Although I have lived here before in the mid 90s for a couple of years, my current family arrived in July 2013 on 457 visas sponsored by the RFDS. Spent best part of three and a bit years based in Broken Hill and had an amazing time. I fell in love with the Australian outback and the wonderful people who live there through thick and thin. Their resilience in the face of so much isolation and adversity was humbling. For our part, we had some difficult decisions to make too. This was especially when we had to decide whether to go for PR with no certainty of success or return to the UK. This was made worse when the agreement between the NSW Health Dept and federal government had to be re-negotiated just after we decided to go for it and sent in our application. Our 186 application remained on hold for several nail biting months before finally being granted. In late 2016 we decided to move to the coast and settled in the southern suburbs of Adelaide. Many reasons for this, including my wife's wish to return to a tertiary hospital facility for work and me feeling my time was up with the RFDS. Fortunately managed to land on my feet with another amazing job in outback Australia - this time working as a FIFO remote GP for an aboriginal health organisation serving the western side of the APY Lands. Well, this has to be the best job I have ever had. I work with an incredible team of nurses and work in a stunningly beautiful part of the outback thats off limits to most Australians. It has its challenges of course, but that just adds to the appeal. My kids are settled and happy in school and we all love our lives in Australia and are really grateful for all the opportunities this country has given us. We are also eternally grateful to so many members of this forum who have helped and advised us along the way - thank you.

Glad things have worked out DML - and congrats on the citizenship :)