Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

The Downies are settling in Perth

The Downies are settling in Perth

Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink The Downies are settling in Perth

We landed in Perth on the 9th December after a wonderful one month holiday in Thailand to get us ready for the work ahead of settling in.

Has been a little daunting - but since I thrive on admin work and had been unemployed for a month got right stuck in!

Tax file numbers - doddle on line

Medicare numbers - doddle, walk into shop with passport, visa and address details, no problems

Drivers licence - wait till you get a letter sent to you validating your current address, then go with UK licence, visa/passport and money - about half hour max for processing and licence posted within 2 weeks.

Rental hunting - be prepared for speedy decisions, grovel on your applications - be careful of mutliple applications as can loose your application fee if successful but turn it down. Rentals are scarse in Perth and a little expensive.

Car shopping - a doddle. Car dealerships appear to be clustered together, mind you cars here keep their value longer. Shop around, bargains to be had - I got a four year old car for $5000.

Furniture - again shop around. The wood furniture is of excellent quality and way cheaper than the UK - not to mention bigger to fit the nice large layouts they have here. We were lucky and caught the Christmas and New Year sales throughout. Dont be afraid to bargain - discount for cash, discount for multiple purchases - even got $500 knocked off our bedroom furniture set for being geordies!!

There is no shortage of job opportunities - did a couple of CV's online, allocated four interviews across a couple of days and the first company direct employed me.

OH is plumber - licence not as hard as we was expecting, however this is WA which stands for Wait Awhile - they do take their time with these things.
First filled in application for licence form with certified copies of certificates and certified copies of references (as per TRA application) with fee for application.
When documentation approved they made appointment at the TAFE for a Hand Skills Test to show hands on experience in plumber skills (welding, pipe bending etc - they make there own fittings here, not premade).
TAFE will then inform Licencing Board wether pass or fail.
They then send you a Plumbing Licence with a condition on this that you take a West Australia Familiarisation Course to learn local water regs within 6 months.

He had a company already waiting for his licence to come through and he is now gainfully employed - mind you salary is basic and not productivity based and is earning $30 per hour.

Technical questions I cant help with but other half said something about Oxycetalene is used here for the pipework.

We are learning to relax a little as we have pushed our new life very quickly and we are now wanting to spend our time doing a few tourist things on weekends etc. But it is nice to be earning and living in a three bedroom two bathroom bungalow with a lemon tree - no pool as there was a shortage of rentals with them when we was looking. Got our heads down and starting to save pennies for buying a house later in the year or next year.

Price wise I would say not any different from the UK (apart from furniture and petrol - oh and some cars), day to day living is costly - we discovered Wanneroo market for our vegetables and fruit so took a huge chunk from our shopping expenses. Also becoming dilligent in collecting fuel voucers and special offer hunting in the junk mail on a weekly basis.

Enjoying the beginning of Autum now - got lovely cool evenings and mornings now. Some of the extreme heat of the summer was difficult, but it doesnt last long - a heatwave if more than three days. OH been sent home three times when temperature reached over 38.5 degrees (went up to 42).

It has been hard work, different, difficult at times but oh so very exciting and new! This has been a little hard for me as I am a control freak and I dont know everything - having to learn as I go.

Good luck to everyone working on the applications! It is worth the hassle.

Love Paula and Heath
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Downies are settling in Perth

Great Start!

Noticed the North Shields! I know it well!

Im from the North East too. We are hoping to be landing in Perth maybe July and then heading to bit further two weeks later. eg WA job offer.

Glad you have settled well.

Gems
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:06 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Downies
We landed in Perth on the 9th December after a wonderful one month holiday in Thailand to get us ready for the work ahead of settling in.

Has been a little daunting - but since I thrive on admin work and had been unemployed for a month got right stuck in!

Medicare numbers - doddle, walk into shop with passport, visa and address details, no problems

Drivers licence - wait till you get a letter sent to you validating your current address, then go with UK licence, visa/passport and money - about half hour max for processing and licence posted within 2 weeks.

Rental hunting - be prepared for speedy decisions, grovel on your applications - be careful of mutliple applications as can loose your application fee if successful but turn it down. Rentals are scarse in Perth and a little expensive.

Car shopping - a doddle. Car dealerships appear to be clustered together, mind you cars here keep their value longer. Shop around, bargains to be had - I got a four year old car for $5000.

Furniture - again shop around. The wood furniture is of excellent quality and way cheaper than the UK - not to mention bigger to fit the nice large layouts they have here. We were lucky and caught the Christmas and New Year sales throughout. Dont be afraid to bargain - discount for cash, discount for multiple purchases - even got $500 knocked off our bedroom furniture set for being geordies!!

There is no shortage of job opportunities - did a couple of CV's online, allocated four interviews across a couple of days and the first company direct employed me.

OH is plumber - licence not as hard as we was expecting, however this is WA which stands for Wait Awhile - they do take their time with these things.
First filled in application for licence form with certified copies of certificates and certified copies of references (as per TRA application) with fee for application.
When documentation approved they made appointment at the TAFE for a Hand Skills Test to show hands on experience in plumber skills (welding, pipe bending etc - they make there own fittings here, not premade).
They then send you a Plumbing Licence with a condition on this that you take a West Australia Familiarisation Course to learn local water regs within 6 months.

He had a company already waiting for his licence to come through and he is now gainfully employed - mind you salary is basic and not productivity based and is earning $30 per hour.

Technical questions I cant help with but other half said something about Oxycetalene is used here for the pipework.

We are learning to relax a little as we have pushed our new life very quickly and we are now wanting to spend our time doing a few tourist things on weekends etc. But it is nice to be earning and living in a three bedroom two bathroom bungalow with a lemon tree - no pool as there was a shortage of rentals with them when we was looking. Got our heads down and starting to save pennies for buying a house later in the year or next year.

Price wise I would say not any different from the UK (apart from furniture and petrol - oh and some cars), day to day living is costly - we discovered Wanneroo market for our vegetables and fruit so took a huge chunk from our shopping expenses. Also becoming dilligent in collecting fuel voucers and special offer hunting in the junk mail on a weekly basis.

Enjoying the beginning of Autum now - got lovely cool evenings and mornings now. Some of the extreme heat of the summer was difficult, but it doesnt last long - a heatwave if more than three days. OH been sent home three times when temperature reached over 38.5 degrees (went up to 42).

It has been hard work, different, difficult at times but oh so very exciting and new! This has been a little hard for me as I am a control freak and I dont know everything - having to learn as I go.

Love Paula and Heath
Excellent posting, best wishes for future months/years.
Keep usall updated again plse..

Dave
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

great post
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Great post, sounds like you're having the time of your lives. You sound well settles and sorted. Hope it goes as smoothly for us when the time comes.

Best of luck for the future

Lynn xx
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:56 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Paula......thanks for sharing some invaluable tips and information
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:44 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post - best wishes for the future
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:58 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Downies

Love Paula and Heath

paula lovely to hear from you, so pleased that things are working out.
you helped me out last july with templates for the tra app, we got our visa's granted a few weeks ago so can't wait to get over there.

all the best
tracey x
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

Enjoyed reading your post. Good to read about OH work as I'm a plumber hoping to move to Perth. I will keep my eyes open for any further updates.

Cheers Biddy
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:11 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: The Downies are settling in Perth

Excellent post, thanks ! Its nice to read honest posts telling it how it is. We headin to Perth, OH is a plumber too.
Keep us posted
Hels x
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Alfano's is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: The Downies are settling in Perth

Great post, really positive.

We arrived in February, and some times I find it hard as I too like to be in control all the time and so far cant. Yes I will admit it.............. I dont know everything!!!!

Still heres to finding out
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:19 pm
Julie and Dave

Jad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud ofJad-2006 has much to be proud of

Great post, you definetly got it all sorted out really quickly, which sounds like a really good idea at least then you know all the official stuff is done and you can settle down to living your new life.

Both myself and OH are heading to Perth, hopefully late this year early next year, just depends on when we get the visa. We're both in IT and had a holiday over there in Jan 2006. OH took his CV and just called into a couple of agencies to see what reaction he would get. They offered him a job that afternoon for a 3 month contract, so finding work when we get there I know won't be too hard.

Please keep updating so we can follow how you are doing.

Julie and Dave
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:27 pm

Caggsy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BallochBiddy
Enjoyed reading your post. Good to read about OH work as I'm a plumber hoping to move to Perth. I will keep my eyes open for any further updates.

Cheers Biddy
Hi folks. We too are heading for Perth, nad yes my OH is also a plumber! Maybe we could start our own business????
Old May 4th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

They don't really make all their own fittings do they? Dare I say it that is stupid, it will work out much more expensive and time consuming than mass producing them!

Its got to be hard to make a Tee on site!

In some ways NZ and OZ are backward aren't they (not just this)!