Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:07 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
parh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Coomera, Gold Coast
Posts: 153
parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

6-9 mths ahead of schedule we have arrived in Coomera! What a journey from start to finish! We planned to come from around August 08 but with a job offer for my OH offered from a speculative email, we ploughed on with the application at top spead and here we are. our house got packed up by Whites and Co on 12/12 with great efficiency and off we went to my parents until our flights on New Years Eve.

Mayhem followed only 2 days later when we discovered my passport got left in the scanner and was now packed in a container somewhere in the uk for immenent shipping! Careless, i know, but the evening before our contents were packed i scanned my passport for the manager of our rental property here in the gold Coast!! Phone calls to whites ended promptly when i was told nothing could be done until monday and my shipment may already have moved on. So covering all eventualities went to newport on the saturday and tried to arrange another passport, under lost, stolen or other! it doesn't always pay to tell the truth because if there was a chance of retrieving the passport i couldn't receive a new one. Had I'd said it was lost i would have had a new one four hours later!! It would have gone to Australia house to be cleared with the visa but hey.. I would definately have a passport before christmas before everything shuts down! Tears all the way back to the south west! Today was also my birthday, the worst one I've ever had!

Anyway, monday came and my husband phoned work to say he'd be late and off he went to the whites warehouse bright and early. Two hours later following payment in tea and biscuits for their staff room he had my passport!!!!!!! The warehouse staff were fab. With our inventory in his hand they were able to pinpoint the exact box in the exact crate... only hours away from being driven to the port!!

Christmas came with many family members popping in to say farewell, some i know I probably won't see again, my 93 year old grandmother in particular my only remaining grandparent. My beautiful dog, Poppy, a cocker spaniel who is nearly 12 and who i thought would probably enjoy retirement with my dad instead of a long journey and intense heat. I believe she is living 'the dream' there with with long leisurely strolls on the common!!

Then came the day!! We said we didn't want family at the airport and I believe that was right for us. Tears at the door and then onward to our new adventure. Singapore were great. I had emailed them for extra baggage allowance but as we were leaving on a temporary visa they initially said no, a furthur email later they allowed us a furthur 5kgs each, 25kgs each in total. we ended up about another 7 kgs more than that but the check in girl waivered that with a smile and and a thankyou from us! the flight was excellent. The first half in particular, as it was a night flight from 10pm all kids slept from midnight for about 8 hrs!! The 2nd part was more tiring as it was evening again in singapore but the kids had only been awake about 8 hours!! They stayed awake the whole flight!! Customs was straight forward, if you fill in your card correctly which you get given at some point on your journey, nothing to declare etc. we came through arrivals, my OH's employer and his wife met us, it was around 7.30 am and showed us to the car rental desk. We had pre booked on line and all was straight forward. They took some of our luggage for us and we followed them back to Coomera.

It was humid, rain had been plentiful in the previous few days and now the sun was appearing. it was now 2nd Jan 08!! we met the rental manager at 9am, had our keys by 10am and wow... were pleased to be here! the house is detached, single storey, 3 beds, 2 baths, dbl garage, lawned enclosed garden, on site pool, 5 houses away and all for 340 dollars aweek.

Rented furniture turned up the same day, also pre-arranged on line, a full packakage queen bed 3 singles, fridge freezer, washing machine, hoover sofas everything to cook and clean with, dining table chairs coffee table and tv and more about 180 aud per week for about 6 weeks. cheaper the longer you need it.

In the next few days we ID'd ourselves at the bank, bought a tom tom, invaluable!! got our visa stickers, medicare cards ordered, given a temporary ticket until the plastic ones arrive in post, and have sourced the supermarkets butchers and grocers etc. Also bought a phone card to use on a land line to call the uk for 1.5 cents a minute with no connection fee. It has been a lifeline while waiting for the internet to be connected!!

Since wednesday last week, OH has been working, the settling in period, good days and bad, once settled i'm sure all will be well. The kids have been with me 24/7 since and are looking forward to school!! Yes unbelievable but they are missing their peers and need to make new friendships! And me, well i miss my lovely friends alot but i'm sure in a few weeks i'll have some more...now i'm back on expats i intend to meet up with some other newbies and sit back and enjoy my new life..down under!! Thank you expats for helping me on my journey this far and may you continue to help me on the next chapter!! Paula

Last edited by parh; Jan 18th 2008 at 12:36 pm.
parh is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:56 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Jamesfam's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 93
Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

What a good read! Sounds like you've been through a lot! Congratulations on your move and I hope all continues to go well for you. Glad your enjoying it. What are your initial thoughts on Coomera?

Clare
Jamesfam is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:00 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
justcantwait's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Essex to Sippy downs, Sunshine Coast
Posts: 200
justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

hi paula
great post,very lucky with the passport,we hopefully will be flying out march time just sorting out house stuff. can't wait for next chapter

anne marie xx
justcantwait is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
parh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Coomera, Gold Coast
Posts: 153
parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Originally Posted by justcantwait View Post
hi paula
great post,very lucky with the passport,we hopefully will be flying out march time just sorting out house stuff. can't wait for next chapter

anne marie xx

Are you coming this way? There are lots of new builds going on... not to close to each other either. This is a new growth area i think and we are going to have our own shopping mall soon!
parh is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:12 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
parh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Coomera, Gold Coast
Posts: 153
parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Originally Posted by Jamesfam View Post
What a good read! Sounds like you've been through a lot! Congratulations on your move and I hope all continues to go well for you. Glad your enjoying it. What are your initial thoughts on Coomera?

Clare
Hi Clare,
Coomera is great. Central to lots of other locations. Oxenford, Helensvale, Pimpama, Hope Island, Sanctuary Cove, Upper Coomera and many more! The locals are so friendly and helpful. The area doesn't seem too busy there a number of new estates popping up it seems to be a new growth area with a new shopping mall opening soon too!There is a lovely breeze at times taking away the intense heat at times! i'm loving it so far. Find somewhere with apool though. we have the use of a pool on the estate. Paula .
parh is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:38 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
justcantwait's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Essex to Sippy downs, Sunshine Coast
Posts: 200
justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

hi paula
not exactly sure,was going sunshine coast then thought may look at gold coast as i have older sons,wondered if perhaps there is more going on not sure exactly where you are,are you near the coast or more inland?

anne marie xx
justcantwait is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:35 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
DestinationSydney's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Benowa, Gold Coast
Posts: 252
DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Originally Posted by parh View Post
6-9 mths ahead of schedule we have arrived in Coomera! What a journey from start to finish! We planned to come from around August 08 but with a job offer for my OH offered from a speculative email, we ploughed on with the application at top spead and here we are. our house got packed up by Whites and Co on 12/12 with great efficiency and off we went to my parents until our flights on New Years Eve.

Mayhem followed only 2 days later when we discovered my passport got left in the scanner and was now packed in a container somewhere in the uk for immenent shipping! Careless, i know, but the evening before our contents were packed i scanned my passport for the manager of our rental property here in the gold Coast!! Phone calls to whites ended promptly when i was told nothing could be done until monday and my shipment may already have moved on. So covering all eventualities went to newport on the saturday and tried to arrange another passport, under lost, stolen or other! it doesn't always pay to tell the truth because if there was a chance of retrieving the passport i couldn't receive a new one. Had I'd said it was lost i would have had a new one four hours later!! It would have gone to Australia house to be cleared with the visa but hey.. I would definately have a passport before christmas before everything shuts down! Tears all the way back to the south west! Today was also my birthday, the worst one I've ever had!

Anyway, monday came and my husband phoned work to say he'd be late and off he went to the whites warehouse bright and early. Two hours later following payment in tea and biscuits for their staff room he had my passport!!!!!!! The warehouse staff were fab. With our inventory in his hand they were able to pinpoint the exact box in the exact crate... only hours away from being driven to the port!!

Christmas came with many family members popping in to say farewell, some i know I probably won't see again, my 93 year old grandmother in particular my only remaining grandparent. My beautiful dog, Poppy, a cocker spaniel who is nearly 12 and who i thought would probably enjoy retirement with my dad instead of a long journey and intense heat. I believe she is living 'the dream' there with with long leisurely strolls on the common!!

Then came the day!! We said we didn't want family at the airport and I believe that was right for us. Tears at the door and then onward to our new adventure. Singapore were great. I had emailed them for extra baggage allowance but as we were leaving on a temporary visa they initially said no, a furthur email later they allowed us a furthur 5kgs each, 25kgs each in total. we ended up about another 7 kgs more than that but the check in girl waivered that with a smile and and a thankyou from us! the flight was excellent. The first half in particular, as it was a night flight from 10pm all kids slept from midnight for about 8 hrs!! The 2nd part was more tiring as it was evening again in singapore but the kids had only been awake about 8 hours!! They stayed awake the whole flight!! Customs was straight forward, if you fill in your card correctly which you get given at some point on your journey, nothing to declare etc. we came through arrivals, my OH's employer and his wife met us, it was around 7.30 am and showed us to the car rental desk. We had pre booked on line and all was straight forward. They took some of our luggage for us and we followed them back to Coomera.

It was humid, rain had been plentiful in the previous few days and now the sun was appearing. it was now 2nd Jan 08!! we met the rental manager at 9am, had our keys by 10am and wow... were pleased to be here! the house is detached, single storey, 3 beds, 2 baths, dbl garage, lawned enclosed garden, on site pool, 5 houses away and all for 340 dollars aweek.

Rented furniture turned up the same day, also pre-arranged on line, a full packakage queen bed 3 singles, fridge freezer, washing machine, hoover sofas everything to cook and clean with, dining table chairs coffee table and tv and more about 180 aud per week for about 6 weeks. cheaper the longer you need it.

In the next few days we ID'd ourselves at the bank, bought a tom tom, invaluable!! got our visa stickers, medicare cards ordered, given a temporary ticket until the plastic ones arrive in post, and have sourced the supermarkets butchers and grocers etc. Also bought a phone card to use on a land line to call the uk for 1.5 cents a minute with no connection fee. It has been a lifeline while waiting for the internet to be connected!!

Since wednesday last week, OH has been working, the settling in period, good days and bad, once settled i'm sure all will be well. The kids have been with me 24/7 since and are looking forward to school!! Yes unbelievable but they are missing their peers and need to make new friendships! And me, well i miss my lovely friends alot but i'm sure in a few weeks i'll have some more...now i'm back on expats i intend to meet up with some other newbies and sit back and enjoy my new life..down under!! Thank you expats for helping me on my journey this far and may you continue to help me on the next chapter!! Paula
Fab post enjoyed reading it! Must make sure I look after my passport! All the best in your new life x
DestinationSydney is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:20 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
parh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Coomera, Gold Coast
Posts: 153
parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Originally Posted by justcantwait View Post
hi paula
not exactly sure,was going sunshine coast then thought may look at gold coast as i have older sons,wondered if perhaps there is more going on not sure exactly where you are,are you near the coast or more inland?

anne marie xx
we're about 20 mins in, near all the theme parks and as a local you get discount at the parks. Lots of buses around to take the teenagers off and about. My friend was going to go to the sunshine coast too, but has now decided to move south of brisbane to the GC for her kids, they are 10 and 16.
parh is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:11 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Dazza49's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Ormeau, Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 368
Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Hi,
Fab post, welcome to oz, and wish all the happiness and future success.

Ally
Dazza49 is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:31 am
  #10  
Decreased member
 
Carbery's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pere Lachaise Cemetary, plot 666
Posts: 1,381
Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Welcome to the GC. Sounds like you have had a hectic few months, you have arrived now enjoy it. Have you got your kids into school?
Carbery is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:08 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
parh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Coomera, Gold Coast
Posts: 153
parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Originally Posted by Carbery View Post
Welcome to the GC. Sounds like you have had a hectic few months, you have arrived now enjoy it. Have you got your kids into school?
We have an appointment for monday at Coomera state school. Have been looking what to do next weekend for Australia day celebrations. Any ideas?
parh is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2008, 2:16 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Sally Simpson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tropical North QLD
Posts: 21,434
Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Lovely update Paula!
What stress over the passport though!

Hope you all continue to settle well & the kids like their new schools!
Sally Simpson is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:23 pm
  #13  
Decreased member
 
Carbery's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Pere Lachaise Cemetary, plot 666
Posts: 1,381
Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Devon to Gold Coast 2 wks in...

Originally Posted by parh View Post
Have been looking what to do next weekend for Australia day celebrations. Any ideas?
You could kick off the long weekend at the curry night in Birkdale - there is a thread in the 'Barbie'.
Carbery is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.