Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Coral Coast and 2 wks in Perth!

Coral Coast and 2 wks in Perth!

Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coral Coast and 2 wks in Perth!

We had been talking about Australia for years off and on. But due to kids health and other things it seamed impossible. Dont mind admitting Ive felt jinxed for years with the kids health. Not going to go into details, but even the docs think Ive had more bad luck than normal.

Just when I resigned myself to thinking a life in Oz would never happen, I got a lucky break. I spotted someone talking about sponsosorship for my hubbies’ profession. Hit lucky and it sounded good, but wasn’t sure they would accept us.
However within 8 weeks of hearing about the scheme we were nervously flying into Perth!

Flew from North East to London Heathrow to get our Singapore airline flight.
Heathrow is a dump, and will try and avoid this place at all cost in future. Also had trouble getting my buggy back as for some stupid reason you have to go out then try and get back in again!

Singapore Airlines was very good, if not a bit too over helpful. On our last flight I was exhausted with having to keep an eye on the kids (one a toddler). I fell asleep only for the hostess to wake me up to ask if I wanted yet another drink! Aaggh…

Arrived at Perth, shattered but had a driver waiting for us with our name on a card. Driver took us to our Hotel Apartment. It was in East Perth and very nice. Regal Apartments and would recommend it. Nice and roomy even with 4 kids, and in nice redeveloped area. Free CAT bus outside, shops, and river walk with cafés and park.
East Perth seams all fairly new development, so everything nice and clean.

Perth was great, and we got our visa in our passports in about 5 minutes max! Went for our medicare cards but the computers were down. They told us to either come before 10 or after 3.00pm then we would miss the huge queues. This worked and when we returned the next day we got them quickly. So I would recommend going at these times.

Had a look around Perth shops and city centre seamed nice, clean and safe. Had no worries dragging my gang of kids around. CAT bus is fantastic and we used this most days. Free bus in a city, wow this is really good.

Got the Ferry across to Perth Zoo, was nice and relaxing and nice for the kids. The Zoo was good and we had great day out. I would recommend Perth Zoo for day out. We have been to lots of zoos in Europe and have seen better/bigger zoos, but it was nice to see Australian animals.

Getting a driving licence, the queues and wait are awful. But luckily we had the
Sky-tech centre next to it. So while hubby waited we had a long lunch in the café! Then we went around Sky-tech, and this is great for kids, mine are aged 2 –15 and all loved it.

Very impressed with public transport in Perth, clean, safe and cheap. The bus driver even got out of his seat to help me with the buggy!

Went to Fremantle by train, again cheap and easy way to travel. Did the Prison tour and it was really interesting. Would recommend it, and the tour guide gave my 4 kids a free mini torch at the end for being so well behaved! Kids conned me into getting Prisoner puppets, and other junk! Then we looked around markets before heading to the harbour. Small sandy beach area so kids had a mess about, then we had some amazing fish and chips in the restaurant before heading back.

Hubby did a 3-day course with education department whilst we were in Perth. However it was nothing taxing and mainly talks and power point presentations. He said he knew most of it already!

Last couple of days went to buy furniture in Osborne Park and look at cars. This area has car showrooms, Elec shops and furniture stores including IKEA. So recommend it for finding most things you need. Giant Nissan were very helpful, and we ended up ordering a 7 seater Nissan Pathfinder ST-L.

More sightseeing then it was time to fly to our new town. I was nervous, as we didn’t really pick it. It was allocated with the job, and the Internet can only tell you so much.
So night before slept terrible, tossing and turning that it may be hellhole!

Got the Skywest plane and it was tiny, but they can give Easyjet a lesson or two. It was only a 2 hour flight, but we got free snacks and drink, and later dinner and drink.
So would recommend this way to get to the Coral coast, very comfy and great staff.

Got off plane, and laughed at the tiny airport. It was like a shed, just one room! You waited for your bags outside on the pavement. We all found this really funny. Got taken to our house by a colleague. The house was great and bigger than I expected.

House is in a quiet cul-de-sac, its modern, brick and has good size garden and outside entertaining area. Great and it cost me very little as education department pay most of the rent.

The town is like the tourist info I found on the web, the fascine is just like the pictures Id seen online. Very picturesque and nice to stroll along.
Town is small touristy fishing town but has small shopping centre. It may be too quiet for some people but for us its fine. We like a quieter life and are outdoors people, so it’s good as near Monkey Mia, Coral Bay and Ningaloo Reef.

We gave the kids a few weeks summer holiday as they were exhausted then enrolled them in the Catholic fee paying school. Incredibly cheap fees! Kids settled very well, I nearly cried on the way home when I dropped off my daughter. As she had missed some school due to a new medical condition. So I was petrified for her! Turns out they all settled well and loving school! Phew

Hubby had started his job, and getting on OK. Don’t think its his dream job, but has been asked to consider moving up the career ladder in a senior position. As his experience means that he could have plenty of career opportunities in WA if he wants it. So far for us the sponsorship has gone well. WA Education have had some stick in the past but we got a very nice hotel in Perth, flights to house, nice big house with very little rent to pay, job on arrival and other perks, they have been helpful. So for us no complaints really and we are not in the middle of a desert! Coming with kid it made thing a lot easier.

We all love Western Australia, the kids settled easier than I expected. They love going to the beach at weekends and having fun.

Next plan is our PR, we can wait it out and get employer to do it. But we are probably going to do our own as we have the points.

So big thumbs up for WA and Coral Coast, just need to do some more exploring. My kids are 15 -2 and all loving Oz and settling well. Things have gone much easier than I expected and its only about 8 weeks in.

Is my luck finally changing? Im hoping Australia is a new phase and I can finally get some good times.

Thanks for everyone’s help and advice the last few months. Cant promise I wont be bugging you with my PR forms!

GEMS
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:23 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coral Coast and 2 wks in Perth!

WOW!
Great post, very honest. Really pleased that you're all settling in well.
Thanks for sharing
J x
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gems
We had been talking about Australia for years off and on. But due to kids health and other things it seamed impossible. Dont mind admitting Ive felt jinxed for years with the kids health. Not going to go into details, but even the docs think Ive had more bad luck than normal.

Just when I resigned myself to thinking a life in Oz would never happen, I got a lucky break. I spotted someone talking about sponsosorship for my hubbies’ profession. Hit lucky and it sounded good, but wasn’t sure they would accept us.
However within 8 weeks of hearing about the scheme we were nervously flying into Perth!

Heathrow is a dump, and will try and avoid this place at all cost in future. Also had trouble getting my buggy back as for some stupid reason you have to go out then try and get back in again!

Singapore Airlines was very good, if not a bit too over helpful. On our last flight I was exhausted with having to keep an eye on the kids (one a toddler). I fell asleep only for the hostess to wake me up to ask if I wanted yet another drink! Aaggh…

Arrived at Perth, shattered but had a driver waiting for us with our name on a card. Driver took us to our Hotel Apartment. It was in East Perth and very nice. Regal Apartments and would recommend it. Nice and roomy even with 4 kids, and in nice redeveloped area. Free CAT bus outside, shops, and river walk with cafés and park.

Perth was great, and we got our visa in our passports in about 5 minutes max! Went for our medicare cards but the computers were down. They told us to either come before 10 or after 3.00pm then we would miss the huge queues. This worked and when we returned the next day we got them quickly. So I would recommend going at these times.

Had a look around Perth shops and city centre seamed nice, clean and safe. Had no worries dragging my gang of kids around. CAT bus is fantastic and we used this most days. Free bus in a city, wow this is really good.

Got the Ferry across to Perth Zoo, was nice and relaxing and nice for the kids. The Zoo was good and we had great day out. I would recommend Perth Zoo for day out. We have been to lots of zoos in Europe and have seen better/bigger zoos, but it was nice to see Australian animals.

Getting a driving licence, the queues and wait are awful. But luckily we had the
Sky-tech centre next to it. So while hubby waited we had a long lunch in the café! Then we went around Sky-tech, and this is great for kids, mine are aged 2 –15 and all loved it.

Very impressed with public transport in Perth, clean, safe and cheap. The bus driver even got out of his seat to help me with the buggy!

Went to Fremantle by train, again cheap and easy way to travel. Did the Prison tour and it was really interesting. Would recommend it, and the tour guide gave my 4 kids a free mini torch at the end for being so well behaved! Kids conned me into getting Prisoner puppets, and other junk! Then we looked around markets before heading to the harbour. Small sandy beach area so kids had a mess about, then we had some amazing fish and chips in the restaurant before heading back.

Hubby did a 3-day course with education department whilst we were in Perth. However it was nothing taxing and mainly talks and power point presentations. He said he knew most of it already!

Last couple of days went to buy furniture in Osborne Park and look at cars. This area has car showrooms, Elec shops and furniture stores including IKEA. So recommend it for finding most things you need. Giant Nissan were very helpful, and we ended up ordering a 7 seater Nissan Pathfinder ST-L.

More sightseeing then it was time to fly to our new town. I was nervous, as we didn’t really pick it. It was allocated with the job, and the Internet can only tell you so much.

Got the Skywest plane and it was tiny, but they can give Easyjet a lesson or two. It was only a 2 hour flight, but we got free snacks and drink, and later dinner and drink.
So would recommend this way to get to the Coral coast, very comfy and great staff.

Got off plane, and laughed at the tiny airport. It was like a shed, just one room! You waited for your bags outside on the pavement. We all found this really funny. Got taken to our house by a colleague. The house was great and bigger than I expected.

House is in a quiet cul-de-sac, its modern, brick and has good size garden and outside entertaining area. Great and it cost me very little as education department pay most of the rent.

The town is like the tourist info I found on the web, the fascine is just like the pictures Id seen online. Very picturesque and nice to stroll along.
Town is small touristy fishing town but has small shopping centre. It may be too quiet for some people but for us its fine. We like a quieter life and are outdoors people, so it’s good as near Monkey Mia, Coral Bay and Ningaloo Reef.

We gave the kids a few weeks summer holiday as they were exhausted then enrolled them in the Catholic fee paying school. Incredibly cheap fees! Kids settled very well, I nearly cried on the way home when I dropped off my daughter. As she had missed some school due to a new medical condition. So I was petrified for her! Turns out they all settled well and loving school! Phew

Hubby had started his job, and getting on OK. Don’t think its his dream job, but has been asked to consider moving up the career ladder in a senior position. As his experience means that he could have plenty of career opportunities in WA if he wants it. So far for us the sponsorship has gone well. WA Education have had some stick in the past but we got a very nice hotel in Perth, flights to house, nice big house with very little rent to pay, job on arrival and other perks, they have been helpful. So for us no complaints really and we are not in the middle of a desert! Coming with kid it made thing a lot easier.

We all love Western Australia, the kids settled easier than I expected. They love going to the beach at weekends and having fun.

Next plan is our PR, we can wait it out and get employer to do it. But we are probably going to do our own as we have the points.

So big thumbs up for WA and Coral Coast, just need to do some more exploring. My kids are 15 -2 and all loving Oz and settling well. Things have gone much easier than I expected and its only about 8 weeks in.

Is my luck finally changing? Im hoping Australia is a new phase and I can finally get some good times.

Thanks for everyone’s help and advice the last few months. Cant promise I wont be bugging you with my PR forms!

GEMS
much good luck to you.
nice post we are having simmilar medical issues and delays
so onwards and upwards
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant post & glad things are going so well for you all
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Lovely post to read, good luck for the future
Old Sep 1st 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post thanks for that, we had a lot of similer feelings when arriving and are enjoying it here still. I hope that a lot of people who are undecided read your post and decide to head to perth

Thanks for sharing it
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

juss44 has a spectacular aura aboutjuss44 has a spectacular aura aboutjuss44 has a spectacular aura about

That was great to read. I am new to this site and at first found myself reading horror stories....Some guy moaning about the pubs, I thought, hang on your in Aus...Have a word with yourself!!!!

Anyway, great read......Lots of luck and laughter

Juss and Dave oh and 2 kids...Heading for Brisbane.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

possy is an unknown quantity at this point

GEMS
HELP, I feel sick to my stomach. I have been reading all the different emails on how people are settling into their new lives in Australia and this is the most possitive one yet.positivel be moving from Lancashire to Perth in a few weeks. I have a hubby, 1 girl aged 8 and 2 lads aged 14 and 16.
I am now getting very nervous . We have never been to Australia before and now we are moving out on a PR visa.
I have an aunt who lives there but I have never met her but still I think I am lucky with the fact at least I will have someone out there to guide us.
Can anyone advise me on schools especially for my eldest son. He has just finished his GCSE's and for now he has gone back into further education which is what he is hoping to do when we get over there.
My husband and myself don't have jobs to go to but would be intrested if anyone knowsanything about electroplating out there as this is what my hubby does.
It's very hard to try to sort out things whilst you are in the UK so I think it is going to be a case of stop worrying and wait till we get out there.
This is an opportunity that we as a family have been given and one that we are going to make the most of.
If anyone has any hints or suggestions I would be very grateful.
These sites are great for people like us.
Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,

Possy, just wanted to say I felt sick the run up to arriving in Oz. Also night before we moved to the town.

We also had never visited Australia before, so may have been mental coming blind. However its something we had thought about over a number of years. S

Also hubby has an uncle who we hadnt seen in over 15years, we were very embarressed about meeting up in Perth. However he was great and said if we ever needed anything just call.

My teenager has settled well, and I was worried he may find it difficult but kids cope better than you think.

Its such a big move that your emotions are all over the place. But its an English speaking country and people seam friendly, so ok.

Everyone on here has gone through similar worries prior to move and on arrival.

Just wanted to say good luck

GEMS
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:13 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,

Possy, just wanted to say I felt sick the run up to arriving in Oz. Also night before we moved to the town.

We also had never visited Australia before, so may have been mental coming blind. However its something we had thought about over a number of years. S

Also hubby has an uncle who we hadnt seen in over 15years, we were very embarressed about meeting up in Perth. However he was great and said if we ever needed anything just call.

My teenager has settled well, and I was worried he may find it difficult but kids cope better than you think.

Its such a big move that your emotions are all over the place. But its an English speaking country and people seam friendly, so ok.

Everyone on here has gone through similar worries prior to move and on arrival.

Just wanted to say good luck

GEMS
Great to read how well its going for you and your family.
Whereabouts are you Gems ? We are off to Kalbarri in a few weeks time.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

thanks for the post Gems its so good to hear of families who are happy with their move. All the best for the future.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:49 am
Just Joined

possy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gems,
Thanks for that.
Some days I am really excited and others I am nervous, but it is great to hear other peoples experiences whether they are good or bad.
It helps you to look at things with out the rose tinted glasses on.

Good Luck for the future and to everyone who is starting a new life out there or is planning to.

Possy xxxx