Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Colonel's Tale of Emigration to Perth, WA

Colonel's Tale of Emigration to Perth, WA

Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Arrow Colonel's Tale of Emigration to Perth, WA

Hi,

Our emigration story is not as long as some of the stories on BE, however I am hoping that this thread provides an insight into the trials and tribulations of obtaining a 457 visa and then making the move.

We are a family of five and in the UK, we own a very nice 3 bed semi-detached house. The Rat Race referred to as "Everyday life" in the UK became a burden for us so we took steps to research the jobs market.

Fortunately, both my wife's and my professions were on the "list" however, my career was most likely to attract an sponsored visa from an Employer.

So after months of applications, I received an offer of an interview from not one but two companies !

Both interviews were by telephone over a couple of calls and both employers were offering 457 visas

I was fortunate to receive offers from two companies...and I accepted the one with the most money !

The Visa process took 6 weeks. We received our visa grant, booked flights, handed in my resignation and worked my obligatory notice period.

After a long flight, we landed in Perth International Airport and boy, was it hot !

We are now one week in and we are starting to settle down now. We have made good use of the beaches and parks and we love the place....people are friendly, parks are clean with no grafitti or signs of any arson attempts on the play equipment (!) and generally, I think the sun puts people in a happier mood.

I filled up the car today and was talking with a lemmy from motorhead lookalike about v8 holdens....a wicked experience and something that would never have happened in the UK ! lol

Our next job is to find a long term rental (easier said than done!), buy a car, sort out schools and kindergarten and start to enjoy life.

I know one week is a kind of early update however....we love Perth and to date, cannot fault it.....

To be continued !
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Colonel's Tale of Emigration to Perth, WA

Welcome to Perth! I hope you settle in well. Fingers crossed that you find the transition smooth and that you feel at home in no time at all.

Be prepared though for feeling unsettled on occassion. Sometimes it can sneak up on you. I found, after all the excitement of the move had worn off and reality had settled in, myself thinking "what have we done". Those moments don't happen often though. For the most part life is good.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:10 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

It could have been Lemmy he's playing the east coast in a couple of weeks!
Glad you like it.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colonel
Hi,

Our emigration story is not as long as some of the stories on BE, however I am hoping that this thread provides an insight into the trials and tribulations of obtaining a 457 visa and then making the move.

We are a family of five and in the UK, we own a very nice 3 bed semi-detached house. The Rat Race referred to as "Everyday life" in the UK became a burden for us so we took steps to research the jobs market.

Fortunately, both my wife's and my professions were on the "list" however, my career was most likely to attract an sponsored visa from an Employer.

So after months of applications, I received an offer of an interview from not one but two companies !

Both interviews were by telephone over a couple of calls and both employers were offering 457 visas

I was fortunate to receive offers from two companies...and I accepted the one with the most money !

The Visa process took 6 weeks. We received our visa grant, booked flights, handed in my resignation and worked my obligatory notice period.

After a long flight, we landed in Perth International Airport and boy, was it hot !

We are now one week in and we are starting to settle down now. We have made good use of the beaches and parks and we love the place....people are friendly, parks are clean with no grafitti or signs of any arson attempts on the play equipment (!) and generally, I think the sun puts people in a happier mood.

I filled up the car today and was talking with a lemmy from motorhead lookalike about v8 holdens....a wicked experience and something that would never have happened in the UK ! lol

Our next job is to find a long term rental (easier said than done!), buy a car, sort out schools and kindergarten and start to enjoy life.

I know one week is a kind of early update however....we love Perth and to date, cannot fault it.....

To be continued !
Welcome to Perth - it's a great place to live
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:02 pm
Banned

lessa120 is an unknown quantity at this point

how can we get migration to other country tell us we will thank you.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:46 pm
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

you will get better responses to your specific questions in the main forum.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:50 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Perth
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

migrant222 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Welcome to Perth
welcome to perth
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Great update and here's to the future
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Wil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

To be continued !
Great update... looking forward to part 2!!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Part Two will be delivered in a month or so...
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:06 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

The Rat Race referred to as "Everyday life" in the UK became a burden for us so we took steps to research the jobs market.
Be careful. there is a ratrace everywhere......

moving to Oz does not escape the ratrace.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Be careful. there is a ratrace everywhere......

moving to Oz does not escape the ratrace.
The rats are smaller in WA !

Thanks for your advice anyway
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colonel

Great to see you're enjoying Perth. Any plans for another update?

Also, what are you and your wife's professions?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:44 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

The rats are smaller in WA !

Thanks for your advice anyway
But the Rats here smell more....