Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Cheers everyone - I feel better now...

Cheers everyone - I feel better now...

Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:14 am
Just Joined

The Milster is a jewel in the roughThe Milster is a jewel in the roughThe Milster is a jewel in the roughThe Milster is a jewel in the rough
Smile Cheers everyone - I feel better now...

I just wanted to write a quick post to say thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum. I haven't been a member of BE for long so had never looked at this forum until this week and I feel so much better now having done so.

I moved to Brissy in December, my OH had managed to get us a lovely apartment, furnished it and found a job before I arrived which was great. I wasn't expecting to have an real home sickness issues as I had lived here for a year before and had spent many years living away from the UK in the past, everything was sorted so I thought I'd be fine! God was I wrong...brick wall? Erm Great Wall of China!!! I think that I am just down in the dumps because it is perminant, there is no end date so I don't feel like I have to make the most of the time here so am wallowing a bit in my own home sickness.

Thanks everyone, today I thought I would take a look at the price of flights home but instead had a quick look on BE. The many words of wisdom of people in similiar situations has cheered me up and it's nice to hear the old UK humour in many of your stories!

I really like Australia but I also really like the UK, the place doesn't really matter to me, it's the life I have there that's important - I obviously need to be more proactive in building that, you have all help by giving me a virtual 'kick up the bum' - thank you. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheers everyone - I feel better now...

Glad you are on the up. Over the last 18 months this site has picked me up so many times I have lost count. Sometimes things seem unsurmountable but then you do a search on here and find that people have coped with the same and much more and it just helps you along.

Hope things continue to get better for you,

Ren
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you can count on this site to answer a silly question and cheer you up when you're down in the dumps.

Hope you're feeling more settled soon.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are feeling a bit better.

It is all too easy to think that you are the only one feeling down & going through these things & coming on here helps you feel you are not alone. Your feelings are normal but yes, you have to be proactive in making a new life, friends etc.

Good luck with it all
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:28 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Milster
I just wanted to write a quick post to say thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum. I haven't been a member of BE for long so had never looked at this forum until this week and I feel so much better now having done so.

I moved to Brissy in December, my OH had managed to get us a lovely apartment, furnished it and found a job before I arrived which was great. I wasn't expecting to have an real home sickness issues as I had lived here for a year before and had spent many years living away from the UK in the past, everything was sorted so I thought I'd be fine! God was I wrong...brick wall? Erm Great Wall of China!!! I think that I am just down in the dumps because it is perminant, there is no end date so I don't feel like I have to make the most of the time here so am wallowing a bit in my own home sickness.

Thanks everyone, today I thought I would take a look at the price of flights home but instead had a quick look on BE. The many words of wisdom of people in similiar situations has cheered me up and it's nice to hear the old UK humour in many of your stories!

I really like Australia but I also really like the UK, the place doesn't really matter to me, it's the life I have there that's important - I obviously need to be more proactive in building that, you have all help by giving me a virtual 'kick up the bum' - thank you. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
My advice would be to flick through all of the forums...from Australia, to Canada and beyond. It is really too easy to think that you are alone in your thinking especially if you feel emotional and/or confused.

It can also be helpful to balance cheery updates with those pleased to be going home.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that you are on the up! Dont think of it being permanent - that way madness lies. Nothing is permanent in this life, as long as you are in control and make active decisions about where your life is going you will be fine. You will probably like it and settle in after you have got over this hump but if after a couple of years you really dont want to be here then you can always go back or try something new. You'll be fine!